Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #1  

Unhappy What do you think?

Hi All!
I signed up to this website awhile back but it's only now that I got a chance to participate. I love the great support offered and hope that I can be a support too. I'm having an issue about something and I was hoping I can get some ideas. I REALLY hope this doesn't become a flare up. I don't want to offend anyone here but would like some input. Here it is....Last week, I talked to a friend about joining Curves. I was very much interested in the non-intimidating atmosphere and the very friendly staff. I had gone in with my friend about two times to try out the program and loved it. I didn't have a check on me so I wasn't able to sign up that day. I went home, got on line to research Curves a little more. All I wanted was to read about any participating members and their experiences. In doing some research, I read that the founder of Curves contributes to an organization that I completely disagree with. How can I join something that provides such support but also provides support to things I don't believe in? Do you think it would be immorally wrong for me to join, knowing where part of my money goes? I just wanted to join something that will offer me the support and motivation I need to lose weight.....
What do you think?
April
AprilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #2  
Cheryl

April, I think if we researched about all the things we bought, we would never buy anything if we based our purchases on what the company really stood for.

I have been told so many things about some well-known companies, I don't know what to believe any more. However, from your post I think you heard about this directly from the Curves' founder on his web site or something like that? I don't know what the organization is or what your disagreement with it is.

I personally think that if you enjoy Curves (and it is a great place) and you get along well with the people at the Curves you want to attend... go for it. Focus on the locals rather than the national. However, if this issue will really, really bother you, maybe you should pass.

I think the only one who can really answer this question is you.
Gilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #3  
~ Berry Happy ~

I agree with Glider - if you enjoy Curves, join. It's for your health.
kari_berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:08 PM   #4  

Thanks, kari and glider...I feel a lot better knowing that I won't be thought as a hypocrite...at least by some!
AprilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #5  

I totally agree with the other ladies. You shouldn't feel like you are being a hypocrite at all. And if you get something good from it then more power to you. Join and be proud you are doing something great for YOU!

Best of luck. You'll do great.
2bThin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #6  

I know the issue you are talking about, and, personally, I could not belong to an organization that gives money to that cause. I think it's a personal decision, based on how strongly you feel about the issue and about how important it is to you to back up your convictions with actions. I have stopped patronizing other companies because they also contributed funds to this cause, and I would also never join Curves because of it.

I will say that, I understand the reason people find comfort in Curves, but, honestly, there are plenty of "normal" gyms that are just as friendly. Besides, Curves is ONLY good for beginners. In 6 months or so you would outgrow that system, and if you wanted to progress you'd have to start doing something else ANYway.

Again, it's a personal decision, but I don't blame you for pausing and considering the issue, and I certainly wouldn't blame you for not joining because of it.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #7  

Well this post made me so curious I had to look it up on the internet. I found an article where they were discussing that and it mentioned that the group he donates to is also supported by the Dominos owner and listed a couple of others. I agree that its a personal decision to make but you never know which of these companies that we help support donate to this cause or to some that people may consider worse!
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Well I, like Tara, had to go look it up, and I would say I would go join immediately!! But that is my personal opinion, and so we all must understand what my position on that matter is. I think its wonderful that there are businesses bringing awareness to these subjects Not meant as a flare up or flame in anyway just stating my opinion.
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #9  

OK, here is my 2 cents (and three points).

1) Just because you read something on the internet doesn't make it true. Look at this "correction" from The San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGSK6KBQH1.DTL First note is the donations were from Gary Heavin's personal wealth, not corporate donations. Second point is that the actual (militant) groups originally reported by the paper were in fact, in error and the organizations he choses to donate to are not violent.

2) Most Curves are individually owned and franchised through the corporation. If you do have a position on not supporting a business that makes these types of donations, ask the individual owner of the club/location you are thinking of joining. "Act locally, think globally".

3) If you like the atmosphere and workout Curves offers and still have concerns, go ahead and join and make a donation equal to your fee to an organization of your chosing.

Remember ladies, do what is best for you and let's you sleep at night.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #10  
Mel

I agree completely with funniegirl. Even putting aside the issue that you disagree with the fundamental beliefs of the organization, the Curves workout will only benefit your body for around 6 months.

If you really want that type of workout and environment, there are several other Curves look-alikes. In the the area where I live, there are at least 2 others as well as numerous gyms with far better hours, more knowledgable staff, and equally friendly environments. Anybody who walks in the door of any type of gym is respected for wanting to improve their body and health. Go take a look at a few during the hours when you would use them- most gyms are not filled with knob-headed body builders or spandex queens.

As for the beliefs of the Curves founders, they have been documented in many places, and the franchisees are screened for their support of the same.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #11  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

It's one thing to bring awareness to a subject but doing it by supporting extremist violence is not what I would call helpful. Good thing it was an untrue report because what is being supported now is less harmful and based on personal opinion. While I might not agree, I believe everyone has the right to their own opinion so they can support whatever they want.
ozziesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote