General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #1  
Heart Smart

Default Heart Smart, low fat diet

I've been put on a low fat diet to lower my cholesterol (320) and lessen my chances of having a heart attack or stroke by the time I'm 45, only 5 short years away. I also need to lose about 65 more pounds, but would be happy with another 40. LOL

I thought this would be a nice place to share low fat recipes and stratagies on staying with the program.

Friday Totals
Calories: 1179.9
Total Fat: 29.9
Sat Fat: 8.2
Fiber: 30
susanmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #2  
Long Lost Chickie

Now this is interesting....

I'd like some good low fat recipes myself. Biggest problem for me, it seems, is that when I go low fat, I always end up high calorie. But the little changes (skim milk, reduced fat this or that, and of course making naturally lower fat choices, etc.) have to be helping, don't they?

BTW, Susan, I see from your profile you're in PA. Me too, just north of Philadelphia!

I'll check back in here soon and see what's happening.

Jo
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #3  
Heart Smart

Hi Jo,

I am from the other end of PA, north of Pittsburgh.

I have to really be careful with low fat snacks as they are really high in calories and make it very easy to over eat. I made some good fried mushroom (actually baked) that tasted just like the real thing last night and some brownies made with applesause (not a good idea as I wanted to eat more than just one serving). Went over on my calories by 60.2 and Sat Fat by .2, really need to watch that closely.

Saturday Totals
Calories: 1460.2
Total Fat: 35.8
Sat Fat: 10.2
Fiber: 28
Old 05-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #4  
Heart Smart

Sunday Totals
Calories: 1667.2
Total Fat: 33.4
Sat Fat: 10.9
Fiber: 27
Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 PM   #5  
WooHoo Go Black Team

Smile

Hello everyone , I was doing the south beach diet for a while but found it very hard to stick with so I am now back to the Low fat dieting. I have lost 13 pounds in about a month woooohoooo lol

What I have found threw the years is that small changes are easier to deal with .Along time ago I cut out butter and shortening out of my diet now I only use small amounts of olive oil .

There are so many good low fat cook books out there I would suggest picking up some .

I try to eat as much raw fruit and vegetables as I can low in calories and in fat and great for you. .I also try to eat alot of grains and beans again great for you . I hope this helps
godsgirlnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #6  

Hey girlies, here you go! My dh (who is 54 and had NO warning, ie cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc) had a major heart attack last November and I had to reinvent food for him. Here is a yummy "fried" chicken recipe. The calories are negligible except for what a chicken breast is. THIS IS A TAD LESS CALORIES BECAUSE THIS LADY USED CANOLA OIL AND I SUBSTITUTED PAM, WHICH WORKS GREAT BTW

SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN

4 SERVINGS

1/2 C FAT FREE BUTERMILK
2-3 DROPS HOT PEPPER SAUCE
1/2 C CRUSHED CORNFLAKES
3 TBL FLOUR
1/4 TSP SALT
1/4 TSP PEPPER
2 LBS CHICKEN PARTS SKIN REMOVED
Pam

PREHEAT OVEN TO 400, SPRAY LARGE BAKING PAN WITH NONCOOK SPRAY

IN SHALLOW BOWL COMBINE MILK AND PEPPER SAUCE. ON A PIECE OF WAX PAPER COMBINE CORNFLAKES, PEPPER, SALT, FLOUR. DIP CHICKEN IN LIQUID MIXTURE AND ROLL IN DRY UNTIL COATED. LAY IN PAN SPRAYED WITH PAM AND SPRAY PAM ON TOP OF BREAST. BAKE 30 MIN, TURN OVER, SPRAY TOP WITH PAM AND BAKE, 15-20 MINUTES LONGER.

229 CAL 2 G FAT 5 WW POINTS PER SERVING

I have a ton of recipes so pm me and just asked if you want something specific.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote