Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 07:11 PM   #31  

Morning!

So nice not to be working! Of course there is a zillion things to fit into this weekend so I just wanted to send a quick hello to eveyone.
I stayed op yesterday. Am so excited. I took the time to make sure I had things in the house I could eat for low points and tried to stay very busy the whole day.

Gotta run...will try to check in during the rest of the day to see how everyone is doing.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:07 PM   #32  

Hi everyone! Ahhhh it's Saturday!!

Mom's taxi service for today (so far!!)is just one way to the bowling alley for the boys's league in the morning. And then my oldest son to the HS for the evening performance of The Sound of Music. He has a cast party tonight, so the pick up won't be until 1-- 1:30!!! Should I drive in my jammies??!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Our weekend to the shore (specifically Brigantine, Carol. It is just north of Atlantic City) was great... BUT WHAT WAS I THINKING? It was BITTERLY COLD!! The wind was gusting at 30 mph... the wind chill was 13!!!! Uh... we stayed in the nice warm house and did a jigsaw puzzle!! My parents came down, and it was a nice 3 generation visit. I had no interest to be blown around on the beach! In retrospect, I should have done a quick visit to the sand, but it just wasn't in me at the time.

Oldest son did fine at home. Stayed up till 1 am....slept in till 1pm!!!!!! No one was getting his Sunday "good morning call," ( and my cell phone was having trouble connecting-- maybe the wind was blowing the signal away!), so that made for a couple of tense hours. Of course, when my sister went to my house, he was in his room with music on and the door closed, so he did not hear any phones or doorbells!! Hey... what's the problem? He knew he was okay.... why was everyone else so aggitated?? He did a good job taking care of the cat, and managing the lights and window coverings. He's a good kid! I'll have to be clearer about the phone call check-ins!

My weigh in this week showed a HALF POUND DOWN!! That makes 5.5!! YEAH.

We had about 5 inches of snow on Thursday. It was powdery, so it was easy to shovel. But it has covered up the yard and gardens...again, so Spring planting is on the mental back burner... again!! But I did buy a pack of sunflower seeds. Instead of being the single stalk/single flower, these from Burpee called Henri Wilde are multibranced/multiflower. Should be pretty!

Liz, I use April 25 (a family birthday) as the last day for a frost here in central NJ. And my treat for Mother's Day to spend time planting!

Jan, you sure get the jump on us with gardening!! Your flowers and veggies should be great! With your tomatoes, you'll be harvesting by May??? Ours are not peak until August!

[This message has been edited by NJNancy (edited 02-24-2001).]
Old 02-24-2001, 08:09 PM   #33  

Hi Liz! Way to go on staying OP yesterday, and planning so well for today too. I know you'll see great results at your meeting! Have a terrific, OP Saturday!

Carol, glad that awful weather is letting up; hope you can stay home and relax, instead of going to work again today. That's such good advice you gave Liz; that "points worthy" idea has helped me a lot, too. Also, recognizing those triggers and handling them differently; that's so crucial. As always, you are right on target! Thanks for asking about Dad. As we feared, though, he has lost more of his sight, and had to have a laser treatment yesterday. (He's had about 9 over the last 3 years.) He's dealing with it well, though, and at least the treatment has stopped its progression for now.

DH went with me on my walk this morning, which was so great. (I've found that my early morning walks, 2 miles, have really helped me feel better and deal with stress.) I just made us our weekend breakfast, Aunt Jemima whole wheat pancakes w/fresh strawberries; if you use, for two people, 1/2 cup mix, 1/2 cup soy milk, and the egg white only, leaving out the butter, they are still great and only 2 points per serving! 140 cal, 3g fiber, 1 g fat, counting the milk. Then add a point or less for the berries.

Everyone have a great Saturday! We're planning to do errands and clean house today, maybe watch our favorite cooking shows on PBS. (Ever notice how Lydia uses gallons of olive oil on that Italian cooking show? Ewww...) My favorite show is Rick Bayless' series on Mexico; gave DH the book for his birthday last month. Anyone else watch those, & have a favorite?

Regards,
Jan
Old 02-24-2001, 08:21 PM   #34  

Nancy, we were posting at the same time. Congrats on your half pound! Way to go! 5.5 pounds lighter; I'll bet you're feeling more energy already.
Sounds like your son did great when y'all were gone, but the phone thing reminds me of a story about my dh, when he was a little boy (much younger than your son). First time his parents left him home alone, to have dinner at their friend's house 20 miles away, he watched a Twilight Zone episode where aliens called all these scientists, and when each answered the phone it exploded. Just about then his folks called to check on him; no WAY was he answering that phone, nuh uh. They raced home, and he was in big trouble!
And yes, we do get to plant early here in S.Texas, but while your spring gardens are in full bloom, ours have been blasted by the summer heat. Our best gardening season is really fall, but it's a gamble sometimes. Good luck with your garden! (You too, Liz!)
Jan
Old 02-25-2001, 12:05 AM   #35  
Inchworm

Remember me?

Sorry it has been so long. I have never felt so awful for so long! My 'crud' ended up going to sinuses and eyes. But am finally feeling human again. as are the rest of the family.

Nancy, I appreciated reading about your son staying home alone. Melissa wants to do that this summer when we take our vacation, and I'm sure we will let her...after all, she is 18 and will have graduated from HS.
I'm the only one that worries! dh thinks it is fine. and it will be.

Re: gardens... while I was teaching, my classroom was an acre and a half and I had a great garden! but since retirement, I leave it mostly up to dh. he does a great job. At work, my students did most of the cleanup, weeding etc. They were all Developmentally disabled in a Voc Ed program, and got paid for the work they did. they love there work, as I did! I go back once in a while to visit. Last time was just before Mother got sick, and the guys picked persimmons for me, with my promise to make them cookies. ALAS, I haven't done it yet! but the fruit is in the freezer, so will do that this week!

Dh and some friends and I are finally going to go out tonight to celebrate my birthday!
Only a month late! My friend and I chose a very nice restaurant, that we haven't been to in ages, we think we deserve something very special. (she missed her bday, too, because we were doing a church dinner that night)

At Bible study this week, a leader from last year came up and said I was looking really good...and then kind of whispered.."what have you been doing" . It is so rewarding when someone finally notices a weight loss!
Skinny people can't possibly understand what we go thru!...and how hard it is!

Time to get my 'cleaning crew' out of bed! They would sleep til noon if I let them!
They both have a few chores to do on Saturday morning.

Happy OP weekend to all!
~~~~
JOYce
Old 02-25-2001, 05:21 AM   #36  

Hi everyone! How's the weekend going for you?
Liz, congatulations for your day op, and for planning ahead with the low point snacks! Someone in our group- I think it was Jan- used to commemorate her op days with some pretty stones in a crystal container or something. I do that, based on her idea, for each pound lost. It's a good non-food reward and motivator, I think!
NJNancy, I know just where Brigantine is! I'm sorry the weather was less than cooperative, but glad you had an enjoyable family weekend anyhow. I don't blame you for not hitting the sand- a beach is a little less than welcoming with a 30 mph wind and a 13 degree wind chill!!! Way to go on the .5 pound loss!!! Keep up the god work!
Jan, I'm sorry your dad's ophthalmology appointment wasn't as good as you'd hoped, but I'm glad the laser treatment helps slow things down.Your 2 mile a.m. walk sounds wonderful- although I don't think you would have wanted to do that here!!! It was a tad nippy this morning! I don't get the cooking channels on my cable system, so my choices are pretty limited. Supposedly that is coming soon, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't cook much anymore, but I enjoy watching the shows and and learning.
Joyce, that crud has really hung on for you!!! What has it been- 3 weeks or more??? I'm glad you are finally on the mend.Mine's only been around a little over a week and I'm totally impatient with it!!I hope you enjoy your belated birthday dinner! How great that someone at church noticed your weight loss efforts!! That makes it all worth while!

I took my dd her birthday present and a cake(for her and her dh's Feb 1st birthday) this morning, then ran errands, including sitting in a car wash line for an hour to get the road salt off my car. Then after my dd got back from using the "day of beauty" certificate I gave her for Xmas, I took them all out to an early dinner. The plan had been for me to then watch my little sweetie afterwards while they went to a movie, but they were less than thrilled with both the choices and the movie times, so they passed on that. And so, that was my day! Tomorrow, if the promised overnight and morning rain doesn't hit, I may take a run up to Trader Joe's- I'm getting low on "staples".
Speaking of Trader Joe's, the also sell the greatest stuff for dry skin- mine's like a snake's in the winter. It's udder balm- the stuff you use on cows. It's only $2.99 for a big jar,and it works great- lots of hospital workers use it because their hands get so nasty from frequent washing. It has sort of a neutral, not totally pleasant smell. However, maybe to a bull it smells wonderful- guess I'd better keep clear of grazing areas when I use it! http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//lol.gif.

Gotta run. Have a pleasant Sunday, everyone.
Carol
Old 02-25-2001, 05:23 AM   #37  

I triggered page 2 with my post, so I'll start a new thread. Come on over!
Carol
Closed Thread