Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Anyone interested in doing the Rapid Start Plan?

I picked up Dr. Phil's book "The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide" and would like to try the rapid start plan. I was just wondering if anyone else wanted to do it with me? If you don't know much about dr phil basically it is a low carb plan to get rid of those carb addictions. You eat a protein with each meal, lots of veggies and fruits, a few servings of low fat dairy and a carb serving at breakfast. These are just the bare bones, if there are a few people interested in trying it and they don't have the book I will provide more info. I'm not interested in making this a high maintenance thing, you'd don't have to log on everyday to say what you ate or whatever (only if you want to). For those who are interested I would just like to have an idea when you would like to start (it goes for 14 days maximum) and what your weight is on the day we start. It would be great to see everyone lose a few pounds to get us going.

Please let me know ASAP. I would like to get going in a couple of days. Thanks!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #2  

Jen I'd love to give it a shot. I sent you a PM about it.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #3  
Jen

I've had a couple of people PM me about doing this program with me and it seems like Thursday is a good day to get started. I'm going to post again tomorrow with some more specifics about the program. If you are still kind of mulling it over and don't have the book I will be very happy to answer any questions and give you as much info as I can out of the book. Also there is some info on www.drphil.com under weight loss challenge then click on weight loss shows then click on "dr. phil's booty camp" then click on 'for menus click here' and there is some sample menus which might give you a good idea what it is all about. Basically you eat 1 protein serving, fruits, vegs with each meal and you get 2 dairy servings a day and 1 carb serving at breakfast. You eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, lots of water and you can drink tea, coffee, diet pop etc.

Anyway I will post a bit more tomorrow here and then after that whoever is going to do this with me starting on Thursday can just PM me.

Last edited by Jen; 04-20-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:09 AM   #4  
Jen

As promised I am going to give as much info for the Dr. Phil Rapid Start plan as I can here. If anyone has any questions either PM me or post it here.

Your meal plan is as follows:

Breakfast
1 protein serving
1 starchy carbohydrate
1 fruit
1 low fat dairy
1 noncaloric beverage

Lunch
1 protein serving
2 non starchy vegetables
1 fruit
1 low fat dairy
1 noncaloric beverage

Dinner
1 protein serving
2 non starchy vegetables
1 fat
1 noncaloric beverage

Snacks
Raw vegetables
Low fat dairy (if not eaten with a meal)
Fruit (if not eaten with a meal)

-eat 3 meals and 2 snacks everyday and try to schedule them at regular times.
-you can eat unlimited amounts of nonstarchy vegetables, either raw or cooked from fresh or frozen
-eat your starchy carbohydrate with breakfast (preferably) or lunch
-eat 2 servings of fruit per day either with the meal or as a snack but do not drink fruit juice and use that as your fruit serving
-drink 8-10 glasses of water daily

What is a serving size?
Meat, fish or poultry - about the size of your palm, a computer mouse or a deck of cards

Raw veggies - the size of your fist

Cooked veggies - your hand when cupped

Starchy carbohydrates - your hand when cupped

Starchy vegetables - your hand when cupped

Fruit - the size of a tennis ball or in the case of berries or chopped fruit the size of your fist

Dairy foods - Milk and yogurt - your fist
cottage cheese - your hand when cupped
cheese - a pair of dice
sandwich cheese - 1 slice or size of a computer disc

Fat - 1 tablespoon

What are foods I can eat?

Protein - eggs, fish, beef(lean cuts), poultry(no skin),shellfish, protein substitutes (beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, textured vegetable protein)

Fruit - I'm not going to type out the whole list, practically any common kind of fruit is on this list

Non-starchy vegetables - the same, too many to list, your common veggies

Starchy carbohydrates - beans, corn, lentils, potato, pumpkin, winter squash, sweet potato, yams, whole grains such as amaranth, barley, bulgur wheat, corn grits, cream of wheat, farina, high fiber cereals, malt-o-meal, millet, oat bran (cooked), oatmeal, quinoa, rice (brown or wild)

Low fat dairy - reduced fat cheese, low fat cottage cheese, 1% or 2% milk, reduced fat buttermilk, skim or soy milk, sugar free yogurt, non fat milk reconstituted from instant with water

Noncaloric beverages - boullion or broth (fat free), club or diet sodas, coffee, tea, herbal tea, water

Fats - flaxseed oil, trans free margarine, oils (olive, canola,peanut, safflower, seseme, sunflower seed, vegetable (nonhydrogenated)), salad dressings or mayo (reduced fat)

Condiments - catsup or ketchup (1 tablespoon), gelatin (sugar-free), herbs and spices, horseradish, mustard, sugar substitutes, taco sauce (3 tablespoons), vinegar (all varieties) **it doesn't say anything about how much of these you can have (other than the ketchup and taco sauce) so I'm going to have to guess they are freebies**

So I think I have covered a fair bit here, please PM me if there is something you don't understand or have a question about. The plan starts tomorrow, Thursday April 22 and the last day will be Wednesday May 5. Those who are doing the plan please PM me with your weight tomorrow and hopefully we'll see some great results over 2 weeks. Also don't give up if you have a day or 2 where it doesn't go perfectly. These things happen and we are only human, if I make it through without going nuts and eating a box of donuts it will be a miracle.

Last edited by Jen; 04-21-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

sounds cool.. why not?
when do you want to start? tomorrow.. how about monday??
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #6  
Jen

The other people who have already PM'd me about it indicated that they wanted to start april 22. I didn't want to start on a monday because I didn't want to have an excuse to binge over the weekend and I wanted a couple of days underway before the weekend hit. So if you want to do the plan and start on Monday that is fine too. I posted this yesterday to start Thursday because I wanted a couple of days to get organized and buy some veggies which are sadly lacking in my fridge.

If there is anyone else who wants to join up with this small but determined group please either post here or PM me. If you don't mind also I would like a beginning weight just so you can see how well you did on the plan.

Last edited by Jen; 04-21-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #7  
Losing It :D

Well Jen and all of the others, today is the day! are you all ready?

I think for breakfast I will have High fibre cereal with skim milk and a banana and 2 egg whites....No sure what i'll have for the other meals....We are going grocery shopping tomorrow so I will stock up on veggies and fruit.

I feel that the hardest part about this is going to be not going to be able to have soup...I always have soup for lunch or supper...but I'll give it a try, wish me luck!!

Have a Great First Day On the RSP!!!

Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #8  
Jen

All I had for breakfast was the high fiber cereal and milk. I've had a really sore throat lately and feel like I am coming down with something so I'm just not that hungry. I'll probably have a piece of fruit in a bit and just have 2 protein servings at lunch. I'm not hungry at all, I'm having a hard time swallowing with this throat.

Really you can turn any meal into a salad, just chop up the meat and throw it on a big plate of mixed greens. I had a really great salad the other day that was grilled chicken, spinach, a small amount of bacon bits, hardboiled egg, cheese and all topped with a honey mustard dressing. It was so yummy!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #9  

hi all
today is the day.I think i know why i never lost weight.I never ate enough.I have a hard time getting down all the food.I was always a real light eater.I had 1 egg white,a small amount of hash browns,1/2 orange,soy milk and coffee.I hope that was ok.I hope you get to feeling better jen.Good luck to you all.This will be fun.I will check in later.sheila
rekanoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #10  

Hi everyone,

Amanda, you can have soup. You will just have to make it yourself. Jen, I think these are all allowed. Here is my recipe

Chicken broth (defatted, low sodium) homemade or store bought
carrots, celery, onion and any other nonstarch veggie you like (zucchini, green beans, spinach)
cooked chopped turkey or chicken

Bring broth and veggies to a boil, then simmer until veggies are cooked. Added cooked meat of your preference in the last five to ten minutes of cooking (turkey and chicken will crumble and fall apart if cooked too long) Mix up a big batch and enjoy! It really is yummy and filling. If you want extra flavour, add some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb blend.

Another soup I like is "Cream of Broccoli". Microwave broccoli with a little bit of water until tender - transfer into a blender and add milk and puree. Add a tsp of margarine, salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash to taste. Heat in microwave and serve.

Hope that helps! This is an easy plan to follow, we just need to be creative in how we serve the food because it is so different from how you may be eating now.

I had (believe it or not) sweet potatoes and lean beef for breakfast, with skim milk and strawberries. For lunch, I am having a salad with chicken and non-fat, non-sugar yogurt. For supper stir fried pork tenderloin with green and red peppers, onions and greek seasoning and lemon juice. It is really good served over a bed of lettuce. Snacks are fruit and cauliflower.

Have a great day everyone!

Jenaya

297/271/170ish
Pounds lost to date: 26
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #11  
Losing It :D

Lightbulb

Thanx Jenaya for the insight... Tomorrow I will make soup....for supper.

Do you all think we should tell each other a little about ourselves? Just so we know who all is doing the RSP here? and how many of us there are....

If so, here's my info....

Date Started to lose weight: Novemeber 2003

Starting Weight: 282 lbs

Pounds lossed so far: 46 lbs

Goal Weight: 160 lbs

Hobbies: Reading, cleaning(believe it or not ), Horseback riding, walking, and listening to music...

And Anything Else: I live with my boyfriend of 16 months, we live on a 1500 head ranch, we have a Boarder Collie named Tucker we call him Tuck anda cat named Wrangler...

Just some of the basics If you dont want to post your info its fine too, just an idea...

Have A Great Rest Of The Day,

Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 PM   #12  
Jen

Absolutely you can have soup, just have to use fat free broth and make it yourself. Great recipe Jenaya!

So I had a so-so day. Did even make it through the first day without blowing it. But hey that is life. I totally screwed up lunch, I probably actually didn't eat too many calories but it was all carbs. I stuck right to the plan for supper though. It's the first day, I'm cutting myself a little slack. Take it day by day.

I've been trying to lose weight forever it seems like and only gained. Never lost significant amounts of weight so I hope this will jump start me a bit. I'm a RN, work part-time, have a 2 year old son and have been married 11 years this Oct. Mostly my hobbies are reading, gardening and scrapbooking.

Take care everyone. Good luck tomorrow. We can do it!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:44 PM   #13  

Date Started to lose weight:

Starting Weight:2 weeks ago

Pounds lossed so far:8

Goal Weight: 140

Hobbies:barbies/gardening/pets

Old 04-23-2004, 07:57 AM   #14  

Hi all
I forgot to put my location and age on the above post.I am 46.I am from ohio.I ate 2 egg whites on high fiber bread.I also had a low fat string cheese for breakfast.How are you guys doing?Well i have to go for now.I am baby sitting the grand kids
Old 04-23-2004, 10:19 AM   #15  

Hi guys,

Had a busy day at work yesterday and didn't get to post at all Ate a bunch of junk yesterday but doing well so far today.

Jen how are you feeling today?

and here's my info:

Date Started to lose weight: To many to count....lol. But restarting April 23, 2004

Starting Weight: 340.0

Pounds lossed so far: Big old ZERO!

Goal Weight: 165

Hobbies: I am an internet canasta and pinochle addict, sewing, training my dogs

And Anything Else: I have 3 beautiful dalmatians named Inca, Maya, and Kiowa and 2 worthless hairball cats.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote