Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia 118

FOUR PAGES! Time for a new thread!

Glad you made it back home, Mima. Wish we could have got together while you were in Nashville. I didn't know you were going to actually BE in Nashville for a couple of days or I would have made an effort to come up!!! I thought you were just going to be passing through on your way home.

As for our "weight" ... after we pass a certain age, we probably need to weigh a bit more, don't you think??? There's that tiny bit of 'flab' that must be accounted for!

Well ... no help from the blood Dr. He didn't tell me anything I didn't aleady know actually. He said the medicine he would put me on to thin my blood would be so expensive it would be much cheaper to take an asprin or two a day if my poor stomach can tolerate them and they would do almost as good a job. As for the anemia, there really isn't anything that can be done for the type of anemia I have. I already knew that. I tried my best to tell my family that but, alas and alack, they never would believe me. They have nagged me to death for years to go to this Dr. and DO something about the anemia. I told them and told them and told them there isn't anything that can be done. He said, "I'm sure you have heard a lot of explanations for what you have and no remedies." I said, "Oh yes, all my life, all I've ever gotten has been explanations." He said, "Sorry, but that's just the way it is." I said, "I know, but my Dr. sent me over here anyway." He did say that my blood was so low he felt he had to keep a check on it often to make sure it didn't drop down to where I needed a transfusion. I already do that, though. He said that could happen pretty fast. I already knew that, too. I get really weak and light headed sometimes and it's pretty scary. It's almost like I'm going to black out but I don't. I'll be in a store and tell my husband, I have to sit. He gets me somewhere fast. He says I turn really white. But, there isn't anything they can do for this except a transfusion and my blood level has to hit a certain low before the transfusion. It's frustrating! I DID pass out when I was pregnant with my son, right in a store, too. Guess he sucked all the blood out of me and they just didn't know it back then! I've had this all my life. It's a wonder I haven't died from it already as ignorant as they used to be about this stuff. I get it checked all the time now but I didn't used to ... EVER! Here I am sitting in the Hematologist's office Friday after them telling me just HOW LOW my blood is and then in walks the nurse and takes NINE tubes of blood out of me. Then she looks at me and asks me if I'm OK!!!
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #2  

That's funny-not really-I couldn't get on-line all week so I couldn't tell you that while we were in Nashville we decided to stay an extra day. You will have to come to Fl next year!!!!Listen to this-along with my bachache, the satellite dish doesn't work because the dish needs to be adjusted -Brad will go up on the roof today because they want 70 to fix it-my car battery is dead-Brad has it on the charger-I got an e-mail telling me I had a virus and I deleted the 2 files and passed that info along to other people-IT WAS A HOax-I can reinstall the files though-I took a bath last night and we had a flood-don't know where the leak is yet-Brad has to fix it!!!Welcome home!!!!!! By the way meme-Tennessee is absolutely beautiful!! Well-things will be better today. Where do you go to the doc's Meme-now I know your state and I can picture where you are. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:37 AM   #3  

The Dr. I went to Friday was in Cookeville. If you were in Nashville proper, you were probably within a quarter of a mile from two of my doctors. I have one at Vanderbilt and one at Batist. They are both only a few blocks off Broadway. I have to go to the one at Vanderbilt next month. I don't know why, he never does anything. But, they all say they have to keep an EYE on me. I hope they like what they see better than I do!!! I must be looking pretty good 'cause they keep me coming back to look at me all the time!!! One of these days I'll die and they'll all gather around my casket (I now have SIX) and they'll say, "Yep, we KNEW this was going to happen. Good thing we were keeping an eye on her or we would've missed it!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:36 PM   #4  

Meme you are so funny! I hope they are keeping an eye on you.

Linda - welcome to our little corner of the world. Most of us are over 50. I think only Ally is still a baby. Hope you come join us.

Ally - you sound happy and that is the main thing. Those kids can drive you nuts if you allow them too.

Mima - glad you made it home safely. Sounds like your homecoming wasn't the smoothest, but Brad will fix it all up for you. Too bad you couldn't have met up with MeMe. That would have been awesome.

Well, I am having to go out and buy some groceries if we are to survive for the next week I have just been so busy, I haven't had the time to even come and post! Now, maybe my life will slow down to a dull roar.

I am glad that everybody is feeling at least a little better. Meme has a way to go, but she will get there. Hang in there, Meme.

Candice - I hope things are better for you this week. Some weeks are just better forgotten

Anagram -I know you have been busy running to Drs. Hope you both get to feeling better soon.

Joanne - hope you got out for your walk. I would love to do that and will make an effort to do so. My feet have just been so sore since the day we moved. The muscles in the feet just throb and walking sure doesn't help them, but I will give them a couple days rest and get started.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #5  

Default Hey There

Happy- I can relate to the sore feet. I have arthritis in mine. I did get out to walk today.. It takes about a mile before the pain goes away.I guess when my legs warm up and the blood starts to flo better.
Meme- I hope all the Dr.s know what they are doing. I can tell you are sick to death going to them and not having the results you are hoping for.
Mima- I remember when my hubby went on the roof to fix something. He got in a panic when he tried to come down. I thought I was going to have to get help to get him down.In fact that has happened a couple times. I just yell at him now and tell him to keep his a-- off the roof. I'll get our son up there to do what he wants..I can just picture calling the fire department to get him down. Maybe that would keep him on the ground. All the noise would draw so much attention he would never try it again.
How is everybody else doing? I hope well.. Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #6  

Well-the satellite person is coming this morning-my car is ok-I got a lot of cleaning done yesterday but a way to go. It's still gorgeous for one more day-Hey Meme-did I tell you how beautiful Tennessee is?? That is without the snow!!Feel better. Hi everyone. Cassidy is so funny-he keeps slipping on the floor.That is when he is not tracking mud!!!Bye for now Mima
Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #7  

Meme, dh's last H&H #s were12.1/38.1. He's tested monthly and Procrit dosage adjusted accordingly. Even so, he hasn't had much pep but he did cut grass yesterday and plans to play golf tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed on that.

Things have still been hectic here - or is this the story of life in the "golden years"? Beautiful new grandchild, Mima. And I know your "catchup" story. I think I'm finally about back to where I was before we left but I was behind them. In some ways, it's slightly more relaxing. I finally finished up Mom's stuff (for the most part). I haven't lost any weight but then I didn't gain in two months of a lot of eating out. Walking the beach is what saved me, I'm sure. Things were cold where we were. Dh wants to try to go to west coast (of FL) next year and try to find a place there even if it turns out to be for less time. Just so it's further south so he can be warm enough. It was 70 here today and he was fine out in the sun but sitting here in a sweatshirt once he came back in.

I belong to the sore feet club too. Had a terrific flare that only subsided a week or so ago. We had so much rain and gloomy weather since we've been home. My sister who lives in Alaska and winters in Texas is in the area so I'll be joining her and another sister for lunch tomorrow. They drove up from Texas and will be going on to Maine to visit one of their children then coming back here for a few more days in May before flying on to Alaska for the summer. I just get such a kick out of the fact that they're so far north and then so far south as they have a place down in the little pointy part of Texas. They used to drive all the way back and forth - aaagh! I couldn't take it.

Trying to get back to walking. Had notice the indoor pool I use will be reopening May 3rd. Has been closed for repairs since Dec 1st. I've really missed the good exercise and warm water relief I get there. Will probably be getting the epidural in cervical spine to ease the discomfort/pain in my left arm. Not looking forward to it but dr. told me not to try to tough it out because permanent damage could be done to the nerve.

Little granddaughter making her First Communion this weekend. This will be the fifth consecutive weekend we'll be with them. I luv 'em all but that's at least ten days I got nothing done plus all the extra packing and unpacking or cleaning up after they've left here. I think we all need a break from each other but I guess that'll come. Also have seen son and wife a few times in their as well. Just been busy with catchup, weekends, doctors. But happy as a clam that all's going as well as it is.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #8  

I would be really happy with a 12/38 count. My count last month was 11/33 and that was the highest it has been in over 2 years. It's usually around 9 or 10 and between 29 and 31.

I went back to the 'ankle' Dr. today and he took a scapel to my ankle again. He has allergies and his nose was running. He was bent over my ankle with his little scapel cutting away and just killing me and sniffing his nose. He said, "Sometimes I feel like just cutting my nose off." I told him to give me the scalpel and I'd be glad to do it for him. He just froze for a minute and looked at me. Then he started laughing. He said, "I just bet you would, too." I'll be so glad when this thing is GONE! When he finished cutting on it was bleeding all over the place. By the time I got home it was hurting so bad I had to take some pain medicine and go to bed. I only had a couple of hours until I had students coming so I had to work in pain (and doped up). I told them they probably wouldn't learn much today!!! I had taken 2 Darvocets, an aleve and 2 Mortin by 3 pm.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:24 AM   #9  

Oh Meme, that sounds so painful. Didn't sleep well last night=was driving around all night in the camper. Anagram-it got cool where we were but most of the time, it was gorgeous. Fort Myers is where we stay-actually Estero-the weathe changes from Sarasota up. The rain doesn't even come down there half the time. But the traffic does!!It's very busy and you can't go on 75 from 4-7 in March and some of Feb. But I definitely like the area-course my 2 grandchildren are there. After breakfast, I'm going back to bed. Been working too hard. Mima
Old 04-21-2004, 08:56 AM   #10  

Well, the grandkids would do it for me, Mima. We had noted the amount of traffic in the area when we were there two years ago. He had liked the Naples area but it seems so costly when we look for places on the internet.

Meme, that sounds more like torture. Hope pain is easing. Yes, we're very happy with his last reading. While in FL in Feb he was at 10/29. They upped his Procrit to get it back up. His has been extremely low at times including a reading when he was hospitalized (after the kidney aneurysms ruptured) that my RN sister told me is "incompatible with life". But he was transfused, etc. and after a long haul and a complicated balance of meds, etc. he is doing reasonably well though not his old steamy self. The golf game today will be a good indication of how it's going. Hasn't had the old interest. He's cold all the time and sleeps a lot in the daytime (he says because he doesn't get enough sleep at night which is true but I think it's all because he's moving around so much less than he used to).

Anyway, I've had two good days in a row diet wise. Maybe I can make it three. I always get thrown off when at dds and I'll be there Friday/Saturday. Have to get over that.

Last edited by anagram; 04-21-2004 at 09:03 AM.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:18 AM   #11  

Default Hey There

Anagram- It is nice to have you back.. I hope you get your health back on tract... We have a large retirement area here in the west central part of Fl. Ofcourse the traffic is not what we would like ,but, the beaches are nice. I live in Tarpon Springs and am able to walk to the beach most days. I am onli 1 1/2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I walk to Howard Park beach and it gives me a good 3 mile walk.
Meme- If I was in your place I would be wanting to take a long vacation. Bless your heart,I don't know how you do it.. Take care of yourself.
Mima- It is always hard getting back to what we think as normal when we are gone from home for any length of time.. I read where it is normal to be depressed when people return from a vacation. It usually takes me a day or two to get back into a routine.
Have a good day everybody....Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:07 AM   #12  

My tulips are in full bloom so of cousre now it is time for spring storms so that they do not last very long in the wind! Tuesdays storms tracked just north of here...feel so bad for those poor people who lost family members and things. It always seems to storm on my BD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had DH bring home a subway sallad and they forgot the chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we get a free one next time.........

Meme hope you do not end of losing your leg.....I had a friend who had that happen due to a sore that would not heal but she was diabetic too and is no longer with us.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #13  

Glad to say that Meme is not diabetic. Naples is very expensive but Ft Myers and Estero are less but still more expensive than north of Sarasota-but warmer and less rainy. It's a toss-up. You will have to meet us next year if you are on the west coast-we'll get everyone down there-including Anne!!!!!!!!!!!!!from the north. Lots of people from Canada in FL. I was sick yesterday-lots of sinus, dizziness. I took 3 naps and didn't get to take girlfriend to lunch for her bd. Another time. Feeling better-eye doc at 9 and condo inspection and appraisal at 11. We are going to sell it. Bye for now. Mima-I think Cassidy is depressed=all he does is lay out in the yard!!!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #14  

Hi. Not much to report. Hope all of you are doing ok. Meme, the ankle business sounds horrible. I feel so bad for you. Wish they could do SOMETHING to get you better.

Candice - hope the tulips stick around for a little while. They are such "happy" flowers. I love the colors.

Mima - Florida is a looooong way from where I live! Most of the Canadians that go to Florida live in Eastern Canada. Most of the Canadians from Western Canada seem to go to Arizona. I probably will never do either of them, except for maybe a couple of weeks. I am a homebody and miss it very much after a month or so. I miss my kids and my friends.

Hi Anagram - hope things get back to normal for you soon.,

Joanne - Did your son get moved in, then? I find it a lot of work when they come back, as they get older. Oh, well, maybe it won't be for long.

Everybody have a nice day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #15  

Went back to have the ankle done again today ... the Dr. wasn't there THANK GOODNESS!!! The nurse took a scalpel and just 'scraped' it instead of actually cutting it so it didn't hurt quite as bad. I told her I HAD to get some groceries in so she went easy on me (she's really nice). I haven't been to the store in two weeks and we are out of everything. Hubby had to bring home BBQ and buns last night and didn't get home from work until after 8 pm so it was a really late dinner. But, by the time I went to the cleaners and all the other stops I had to make it was pouring rain and I was hurting so bad I got some lunch and came home. Some people called and said they wanted to come see a trailer we have for sale, too, so I needed to be here. I guess instead of 'dinner and a movie' tonight it'll be 'dinner and WallyWorld'! We only have one trailer left, I sold 2 yesterday. We're supposed to get another load in tomorrow. At the rate we're selling them we'll need another load by next weekend. I'm just wondering if he's going to be able to keep us supplied! Between doing the trailers and teaching yesterday ... about wore me out. I'm not sure I can handle a business and piano lessons, too! My sweet husband may have bit off more than I can chew!

It's storming here ... and I'm aching!