Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2004, 10:41 AM   #1  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default It Doesn't Matter What You do, as Long as you are MOVING! Come IN!

Hey there...I'm back after a couple of really lazy years. I was a part of a thread back then that really motivated me. I'm looking for some folks who want to share their daily routines and make a few online friends...I just started a new routine in the past couple of weeks. I alternate an 8-mile bike trail ride and going to the gym, mainly elliptical machine. I am also known to dabble in the Leslie Sansone tapes when I don't feel like leaving the house.

If you want some accountability and some fun chat each day, let me know...let's start a thread and have some fun, share our trials and successes! I also hope to meet up with a few old friends who I used to post with!

Girlie
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I'm trying to get back in the exercise habit as well! I'd love to be accountable to somebody besides myself! I just stocked up on some great new fitness DVDs and bought some new Nikes, so I'm set! Tonight is taxes, but starting tomorrow I'm working up some sweat! My goal is to exercise six mornings a week, and hopefully squeeze in a few evening yoga or pilates sessions. This time around my main objective is to feel better about myself and not to worry about the scale. Let's do it!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #3  

Actually I just started an exercise routine myself.. I haven't been that active lately, and I finally decided to brush the dust off the treadmill and I bought some Pilates tapes hehe. However I am in need of some new exercise shoes but I can get those later.

My goal is to exercise about 6 nights a week, running 4-5 nights and doing a pilates video 4-5 nights as well. I might start walking somedays, it depends on my mood because I don't usually find walking to be a challenging enough workout for me. Anyways, I'd love to join this thread.
gillian14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #4  

Oh I forgot to add some things too, oops hehe Anyways, I'm looking to lose about 10 pounds before the June 1st, and I want to get toned so that I'm not embarassed to be in my bathing suit in front of people once summer comes. It's not that I'm that much overweight, I just have a lot of excess fat in my hips and butt which I can never seem to get rid of.

Also I need something like this to keep my in check with my eating habits, which I admit really need some work. I have been doing better the past few days, but I tend to eat a lot of fast food and I don't think I get enough fruits or vegetables or protein. Anyways, I think I'm done this time
Hope to chat later!
gillian14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 AM   #5  

Hey Girlie!
It is me MQ from the "Race to 200!!" in the BUDDY Forum. Exercise. Hmmm something that I KNOW that I need to do. I love yoga and that is all that I am really able to do at this point. I have degenerated disc disease and well my last disc is black which means that I need to watch any activity that I do. I can NEVER carry or push anything heavy ever again. So needless to say that I sold the Jane Fonda aerobic beat tapes that last years annual yard sale. I am sure that they are collecting dust on someone else's shelf! lol
So basically it is me and my "yoga zone" tapes and my pink mat. I also do some leg lifts that have always seemed to keep my legs shapely.
So that is that. No very exciting huh?

MQ
MotivatedQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #6  
Bacon Girlie

Hello, everyone! Thanks for responding. I hope that we can get a few people together here and help to motivate each other. I did this a couple of years ago and it was great, and you really get to know people. Well, I'm here and I plan on posting every day through the week and I hope all of you do as well.

I think this should be about moving...doing something each day, whether it's a full-fledged workout or taking the stairs instead of an elevator...anything. I have learned that trying to work out every day is unreasonable for me and I get burned out...but I just want to do something that I enjoy. All of us are at different weight loss levels with different goals, but we should still be able to encourage each other to move.

MQ - Thanks for joining me! I'm so glad! Maybe the others from the board will join us too! I'm sorry to hear about your degenerated disc...but it is a great inspiration to hear that you still want to move. Maybe we should start a "Race to 199" thread (LOL 199 sounds so much better than 200 LOL!!!) somewhere for people who specifically want to get out of the 200's? I will still maintain this thread too!

My husband and I have been doing an 8 mile route through a bike trail here and that has been kicking my butt. When we don't do that, I head to the gym which I did last night. I walked and stretch for a few minutes, then head to the exercise bike for 15 minutes, then hit the elliptical for 35 minutes, then went to the warm up room to do crunches, stretch and cool down.

How are you doing, Gillian and Genesis? Hope to hear from you soon!

Girlie
Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #7  

Thumbs up I'm in

Hi, I am new here, and this is only my second post. I would love to join the thread, I think I need some accountability (tough love!) and motivation to stay on track. Right now I am doing the Bellydancing for Fitness tapes with the twins (I have found that it is very important to NOT try to get the little "pops" in the movements like the twins do...at least not at first, when I first tried them I thought I broke my back...ow!), I have a Pilates "On the Ball" DVD coming and an exercise ball ordered and on it's way, and I live in the country so I can walk and bike when/if I feel like it. I have about 100 pounds to lose, and have dropped about 10 in the last five weeks. I follow no diet plan, but eat more veggies and fruits, fiber and I try to get some good protien in when I feel like I am dragging. No snacking!! I have switched to Equal/Splenda and am finally used to it. I drink tons of iced tea w/key limes (yum) instead of lemon, and this satisfies me, somehow. I rarely want to snack. I also try to get more activity in my day, for instance I take the kids clothes upstairs and put them away after every load instead only once in a basket after all the laundry is done.
Overall, I am feeling confident, if a little down, because I haven't lost in about a week. I seem to be "stuck" but with added exercise and all my diet changes, I know eventually my bod will give it up. Looking forward to shared progress with everyone!
MojoJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:32 PM   #8  

Hi Everybody! Day One on program has been a success so far. I got up at 5am and did my boot camp workout DVD (see link below for more information)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Here's my food so far:

Breakfast:
Luna bar
16 oz non-fat milk latte

Snack:
Handfull dried apricots

Lunch:
1/2 Eggplant sandwich
Asparagus

Planned Dinner (have not eaten yet):
Black beans and rice
Green salad
Artichoke

I also let myself have one small piece of dark chocolate after dinner to satisfy my sweet tooth. I LOOOVE really dark chocolate and found a great Swiss dark chocolate that comes in mini-bars, about the size of Hershey's miniatures. It's a perfect amount of chocolate to satisfy my sweet tooth. I usually have a cup of herbal mint tea with my chocolate! Yum!

Hope everybody is having a great day!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #9  
Bacon Girlie

Red face Hello, Genesis!

Genesis,
Your food sounds great. I love different types of veggies! Are you a vegetarian? Did you make the eggplant for your sandwich? If so, can you share the recipe? I've always wondered what to do with eggplant. Also, how do you prepare your artichokes?

I didn't think to share my food today...I eat weird things sometimes...for breakfast I had a grilled chicken breast on a whole wheat bun...lunch I had a grilled chicken breast and some sweet potatoes, and then I had five Hershey's miniatures when I went back to work...bad!!!! I never have any willpower when people have candy dishes on their desks!

The peppermint tea sounds good, I think I will try that. Got a brand to recommend? Last night when I got home from the gym, I was hungry and had some egg whites. Maybe a cup of decaf tea would have satisfied me.

Hope you all are having a great day!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #10  

Default Here's my day

Morning...30 minutes with the Bellydance Twins.

Breakfast...Bowl of Cracklin Oat Bran and some tea (I am an iced tea addict)

Lunch...PB and J sandwich (I know, it's kinda bad, but it was spread very thinly, I swear!) with yet more iced tea.

Snack...just a few Goldfish crackers and a banana

Dinner....grilled cornish game hens, roasted zucchini and a toasted slice of veggie bread (no butter!) with still more iced tea (does it surprise you to know that I have an iced tea maker? )

Later tonight...green tea for antioxidants

Good luck everyone! One day down, one day closer to our goals!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #11  

Hi Girlie, Yes, I'm a veggie! I ate the eggplant sandwich at a restaurant. I enjoy eggplant, but I actually have never tried to cook it myself. I find I like it best grilled. As for the artichokes, I just trim the spikey ends of the leaves off, trim some of the stem off (leaving about 1/2 inch to one inch stub) and toss it in a boiling pot of water until you can easily pierce the heart. I usually melt a little bit of butter for dipping, but I try to keep it to a minimum. For me, a little butter goes a long way. Artichokes are probably my favorite veggie. I remember in preschool we had to do a "show and tell" of our favorite food. All of my preschool peers were talking about pizza and mac-n-cheese, while I was raving about artichokes! I've always loved veggies since I was little, even unusual ones like brussel sprouts.

I love just about any peppermit tea. Right now I'm drinking Stash at home and have a box of Celestial Seasons at work. I enjoy a big mug after lunch, very refreshing and helps your digestion.

Good luck everybody!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 AM   #12  
Bacon Girlie

Thumbs up Last post of the day!

Good evening, all!

I'm getting a bit addicted to the boards...I guess that's good...as long as I'm typing, I'm not eating!

Jodie, you had a great day. I don't think we should ever apologize for using things like peanut butter or butter, etc. We do what works best for us...and if we don't succeed, we change things around. I'm all about trying to eat "normal" foods like butter and peanut butter and chocolate in moderation. I don't want to have a kitchen full of fat free and low cal foods. I want to try to eat whatever I want and learn not to overdo it. I think that's the only way I'm going to succeed at this. I've done Weight Watchers and it is a great program, but I don't like being chained to a journal or not being able to eat something because I don't know how to count it.

Genesis:
I stopped eating meat for a while but realized it wasn't my thing. I wasn't doing it for the animals or anything like that, I just wanted to see if I could do it and make it a part of a healthy lifestyle. Well, I realized that I do love to have meat sometimes and I was eating no meat but I was eating more carbs and junky things. So anyway, that was my little experiment! I have some Stash Chai tea here at home. Next time I go to the store I'll have to check out peppermint tea.

Well, I just got home from the gym. I am seeing results on the scale (small, but it's only been a couple of weeks!) and I'm very pleased with myself. I love feeling strong and healthy. I did my 15 minute bicycle warm up and 30 minutes on the elliptical, then 15 minutes of crunches and leg lifts and cooled down by walking. Sometimes I feel like doing 45 mins of cardio isn't adequate, but again, I used to do 1.5 hours of cardio and I got burned out...so I'm going to make myself do no more than an hour. Some people at the gym walk on the treadmill for like an hour or some people TWO...but you have to do what's best for you. Or in this case...ME!

Well, I'm off to bed before midnight tonite! Wow, it's a miracle! See you guys tomorrow!

Girlie
Old 04-14-2004, 09:54 AM   #13  

Smile Wow!

Boy, Girlie, you sure hit the nail on the head. I am trying to do exactly as you describe....make my diet (or non-diet) flexible and workable in the real world. I have tried so many regimented diets and always feel deprived and dried up like an underfed plant. I need a certain amount of fat and protien or I am not human...I have to be human!

I also try to stick to the simple idea of only eating when I am hungry and stopping when I feel...not full, but satisfied.

I am shocked at how out of shape I am! Geez, I always thought of myself as overweight, yes, but also strong and capable. Hmmm, not so much. I am strong, I naturally carry good muscle, but I have no ability to exert myself for extended periods of time. This is a motivator for me! I gotta get to moving and working so I can feel more in control of my own body!

Am I rambling? I just love having this thread to post to, and being able to clear my mind of my thought and ideas regarding this new life of mine...thanks everyone! This is such a big help.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #14  
Bacon Girlie

Arrow Good Morning!

Hello, everyone! I hope you are having a great day! I started the day with a grilled chicken breast sandwich on a whole wheat bun.

It was quite difficult to get out of bed this morning. I think the exercise is doing well for me! The leg lifts are making my legs feel stronger.

Jodie:
I really like your viewpoint on the eating issue. I mean, I don’t feel like I can follow a structured “program” for eating for the rest of my life. I want to have things that I want to eat and never have to say no to something. I really think it can work this way. Most people do not stick with a plan, especially if they get to their goal weight…and they gain some back and start a plan again and again and again. I like the Weight Watchers plan, but things seem so marketed…it’s all about money to them. That’s the deal with all of the weight loss/fitness programs these days. I must be possible to do this on our “own”.

Oh, and the endurance thing…I never used to think I could exercise for any certain amount of time. They day I joined the track team in high school was when I found out we had to run 2.5-3 miles each day AFTER practice…the first time I ever ran in my entire life…and you know, my 160 pound butt did it, without stopping…many of the thin girls had to stop and walk…and that has been my motivation since. Not that I could run 3 miles in my condition, but that I have endurance in me somewhere. Whether it’s a treadmill, biking, walking, elliptical, I think everyone should have some sort of cardio in their lifestyle, even if it’s 15 minutes. Sometimes, when I feel tired or not up to a workout at the gym, I just make myself do 10 minutes of 3 different exercises…walk for ten, bike for ten, elliptical for ten. Ten minutes is quick, but hey, that just made 30 minutes of cardio! Normally I don’t think it’s that someone CAN’T do the cardio…when I’m on the elliptical for 30 or 40 minutes, I watch people get on a machine all psyched up, then after a few minutes they get tired and stop. Even when I first get on, I want to stop, but after about ten minutes, I’m used to it and after that it’s all about willpower to stay on until I know my muscles are really feeling it and I need to stop.

Sorry for rambling! It’s easy lol! Hope you have a great day!

Girlie
Old 04-14-2004, 07:21 PM   #15  

Smile 4/14

Okay, this morning 30 minutes with the bellydance twins

Breakfast, Krave protien bar and milk (really kept me satisfied for a long time, but gave me gas )

Lunch a small quesadilla with maybe two tablespoons of mexican cheese on it and a banana

Dinner Healthy Choice chicken noodle soup and three crackers

Snack dry cracklin oat bran and a little milk to wash it down

Tada! Not too bad! Hope everyone else did well also!