South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #1  

Smile Newbie Questions Re: Peanut Butter, nuts, and Subway wraps

Hi,

What an incredible forum!!! I'm in day one and have read the FAQ's and printed out the new Phase One list that contain the changes to the program from the book. I have a few questions. First, the book says 1 teaspoon a day of peanut butter while the new Phase One list on this site says 2 tablespoons per day. Which is correct? Was this a recent change? If I have my serving of nuts for the day, does that mean that I can't have a serving of peanut butter too? Also, are the Atkins Subway wraps allowed during Phase I of this diet? I know that the wrap is a "bread", but since it is low carb, can we have it on Phase I? Thanks for your help.

Dani
Old 04-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #2  
Goddess In Her Mind

S/C/G: 215/215/150

Dani - those are great questions! I've only been on The Beach for two weeks and I'll be waiting for the answers myself.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #3  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Not sure about the peanut butter.......

and as far as the bread, no bread for two weeks and then sparingly after that.

Post the peanut butter questions on Frequently Asked Questions portion of the forum.

I am curious too.

I would bet that two teaspoons is alot of fat
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

The new list is correct, and no bread is allowed on Phase I.
Welcome!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:20 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Peanut butter is considered a fat so methinks you could still have nuts.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #6  

Thanks guys!! It's Day 2 and I'm hanging in there. I tried the Fudgisicle peanut butter cup last night although I had already eaten my quota of nuts and it was yummy!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #7  

Bread is a no-no for the first two weeks - so the wrap is out. And actually, you have to watch fat etc, of the contents of the wrap if you are having it Atkins Style (as per online chat with Dr. Agatston). As far as the peanut butter goes, you can have either 1 tsp of regular peanut butter or 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter (this means the no sugar added peanut butter). If you have peanut butter, it replaces your nut choice for the day.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #8  

Vanity,

Thank you. Did you get this info from the SBD website? I'm finding that so much in his book is very unclear. If not for these boards, I would have never even known about the fact that dairy is allowed during Phase one. Also, he only mentions three nut choices in the book. Again, but for this board, I would not have known that I could eat other types of nuts. He really needs to come out with another book. Are there any plans for an updated book?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #9  

Dani,

I, too, am new to South Beach. I started it for about a week and had to go off for a test. This week I'm doing another diet to test myself and then I'm flipping back to South Beach immediately (probably next week). In the meantime, I've been reading up on the web about it to arm myself with info. I think I got the info from a website and apparently it is stated in the supplementary book South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs (right now it's showing on the side bar of this website). I also felt like there wasn't enough info in the book. Also look for online chats with the doc. They are quite informative. I did lo carb for 1 yr and lost 60 lbs and 27 inches. I would have lost more but I have PCOS and have lost and gained the same 20 pounds in the last 6 months over and over again because of the condition. I think South Beach will be a welcome change - it's time. I have a lot of background info from reading other lo carb diet books and web pages and so I am now adding to my knowledge reading up on GI diets. The more you know about general basics of food and diets, the more you can tailor the diet to fit your needs/body's chemistry. I plan on not adding so much fruit, rice, pasta, potatoes or bread in once I'm on phase 2. A few on this site have called it phase 1.5 -- I think that's where I'll be most successful.
Sorry about the long reply.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 PM   #10  

Thanks vanity...Congrats on your success thus far. It seems as though you have really researched the low carb way of life. I was wondering waht Phase 1.5 was...and now I know. I just hope I make it that far

Last edited by Dani; 04-14-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Closed Thread