South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:28 AM   #1  

Talking Salad Dressings

I don't know if anyone out there on the beach has been as confused about OP salad dressings as I have, but I received the following information in my Daily Dish email this morning. (For those of you who don't receive this, the Daily Dish is a short, but very helpful news item that is sent from the South Beach website each day.)

Today's item was a recipe for a homemade salad dressing. The part I was most interested in was the following statement:

Store-bought salad dressings that contain 3 grams of sugar or less per serving are acceptable on The South Beach Diet(TM).

Knowing this certainly helps me choose a salad dressing (without guilt) when I go out to eat.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #2  
Kitten40ish

Last week I found at our local Farmers Market Walden Farms brand dressings. It says, Calorie Free, Sugar Free, Fat Free Cholestorol Free, Carbohydrate Free on the bottles. I said WOW!! There has got to someting in it I can't have.
Ingredients for Balsamic Vinaigrette:
Purified Water, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, salt, lemon joice, garlic powder, onion powder,xanthan gum, white pepper, propylene glycol,alginatr,sodium benzoate, sucralose, carmel color.
Ingredients for the Thousand Ilsland:
purified water,white vinegar, tomatoe paste, cellulose gel, salt, garlic powder, onion powder,pickel relish, titanioum dioxice, lemon joice, white pepper,worcestershire sauce,xanthan gum, propylene glycol, algnate, sodium benxoate, sucralose.
Any one familiar with these? Do they follow the plan? Sound to good to be true! I belive there also is Ranch, and another flavor but i dont remember the name of it.They do taste good, and give a variety with the salad.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Overall I don't think there is anything on the list that you can't have, at least considering the small amount that would be in a serving. However, you might change your mind after you eat it. I think these dressings are horrible. Ok, in all fairness I only tried one. I can't remember but I think it was Blue Cheese. Myself, I would prefer a dressing that had less preservatives and healthy fats in it.

I have heard of some people that do like the Walden Farms, though, so maybe you'll luck up!
Old 04-04-2004, 03:44 PM   #4  

I've tried the Walden Farm dressings and really like them. I guess I am excited about the 3 sugar gram rule, because there are a lot of salad dressings out there that meet that criteria and I do like to switch between different dressings! (Frankly, I was surprised that Daily Dish didn't say anything about saturated fats, because I know blue cheese is fine as far as sugar, but it is higher in the fat department)
Old 04-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #5  

My favorite salad dressing is to crumble a little bleu cheese (I know we are supposed to use lofat cheeses only, but I don't use that much), sprinkle a little basil and oregano and then toss with rice vinegar and olive oil.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #6  

My favorite is olive oil, lemon juice and balck pepper whisked together. Yumm.
Closed Thread