Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #1  
Oooo Silly Me!

Default Substitute for Whipping Cream?

I found a great recipe for an Italian soup that my grandmother makes all the time. It calls for Chicken Broth, Kale, Potatotes and WHipping Cream. It asks for italian sausage to but no need that.

Is there a subsitute for whipping cream? It asks for Heavy Whipping Cream and the only thing my store sells is the regular WHipping Cream, didn't see heavy or light or anything else.

I don't mean like cool whip stuff that you put on desserts unless it's actually the same thing??

Thanks...

Sue...

Last edited by SueMarie301; 03-25-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #2  
it's always something

It was my understanding that heavy cream = whipping cream = heavy whipping cream. All the same product.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #3  
Oooo Silly Me!

Well I was talking to a few people in the chat and I think one got confused with the cool whip stuff, the stuff you put on ice cream. So I sorta had to step back and think, are they the same as heavy whipping cream.

Cause she mentioned try using the fat free cool whip. Which made me wonder if they were, so then they are?

Sue...
Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM   #4  
Legend in my own mind

I don't see why you would need to use the heavy cream if your just adding it to the soup and not whipping it.
so maybe you can just use the half and half or reglular 2% milk and maybe the soup won't be as creamy but that should still taist good..
Old 03-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #5  
Oooo Silly Me!

hmmm, that makes sense.Someone told me to use plain yogurt as well. Maybe I'll make a batch and split it in half and try yogurt and then try the milk.

Thanks...
Sue....
Old 03-31-2004, 05:39 PM   #6  

I think the difference is that one is

whipped cream - (cool whip)

and one is

Whipping cream or Heavy Cream - (if you whip it, it becomes whipped cream)

If you wanted light cream, that would be milk. SO I agree, use the 2% milk, and it will probably be better than the yogurt, since the tastes are somewhat different.

Also, look at the amount of cream it calls for. If it isn't much, go ahead and use it. I think as long as you use it in moderation, it is okay, as long as it isn't a major ingredient... IMO...
Old 03-31-2004, 05:44 PM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

definately sounds like a plan, I'll be trying the recipe out this weekend. Thanks everyone!

Sue...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 PM   #8  
189/149/140

Evaporatedvskim milk is a good sustitute for heavy whipping cream. I use that in place of the cream when I make alfredo type dishes.

Beth
Old 04-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #9  
it's always something

Btw, Cool Whip is definitely not related to whipping cream! Cool whip is not even a dairy product. It contains: Water, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils, corn syrup, sugar, sodium caseinate, dextrose, polysorbate 60, natural and artificial flavors, sorbitan monostearate, xanthan gum and guar gum. Artificial color.

You don't want that in your soup. After reading that, I'm not sure I want it on my jello
Old 04-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #10  
Oooo Silly Me!

Wonderful suggestions! Thank you everyone... I would never have thought of evaporated milk (skim or whatnot) as something to use...

Suzanne...

Yeah, I didn't think so. I was talking in the chat and had asked this substitute question for the "whipping cream", and someone mentioned it. It peaked my curiosity and figured I'd toss that in with my question here in the forum. Interesting to see those ingredients as well for the "whip cream" makes me curious to see what the light and fat-free versions have in them.

I'm even shocked to learn it's not a dairy product. I had always assumed it was.

Thanks!
Sue...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #11  
it's always something

I guess it's cheaper to make Cool Whip with the above ingredients instead of real cream. It's advertised as a "non-dairy whipped topping". The stuff you get in the dairy case (Reddi Wip) is real whipped cream, though.

FYI, heavy cream has a whopping 6 grams fat per one tablespoon serving
Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 PM   #12  
Oooo Silly Me!

6 grams fat per one tablespoon!!! Holy cow!

grin, glad I got some great suggestions on alternatives hehehe

Sue...
Old 04-03-2004, 11:48 AM   #13  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

This will sound stupid, but I know things are named differently either side of the big pond!

Try creme fraiche, also known as low fat soured cream. More than low fat yoghurts it is creamy and has that slight bite to it that savoury dishes need! In fact I find it even tastier than cream.

We use it for any cream, custard or even ice cream recipes as it is equally good in a sweet recipe.

My favourite quick pudding:

Take a handful of mixed berries (I keep them frozen) heat them up until they mush down a bit - don't pour off any of the iced water that melts it contains all of the fructose that naturally sweetens fruit. Put it aside to cool.

Put the cooled fruit into ramekins or other small heat proof pots and spoon on creme fraiche. Top with a little demerera sugar and place under a high grill until sugar has bubbled and melted. Or use a kitchen blow torch.

Cool down until the sugar is rock hard. Serve your incredibly low cal high tasting pud to unsusupecting guests. They'll never know it has so few calories - about 100kcals:

Fruit: 50kcals
Creme fraiche: 40 kcals (max depending on how low fat, this is 50% less, you can get much lower)
sugar: 16 kcal per teaspoon

Using 50% less fat creme fraiche gives you about 8 grams of fat in each pudding!

Best of all it is not overly refined or sweetened like other non-dairy substitutes, it even tastes good in pasta dishes, is a very tasty replacement for mayonnaise (try tuna mayo with creme fraiche and you will be converted instantly). Want creamy mashed potato - don't use butter or milk substitutes, just use creme fraiche. Honest it works in so many dishes and I can't believe it took me years to even consider buying it! Even the DH likes and even prefers it! Hows that for odd?

I hope this is something you guys can get - or I've just made you all jealous of an odd European dairy product. But I am sure you must have it - it is the traditional dairy addition to dishes like goulash!

Last edited by stef; 04-03-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:17 PM   #14  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hi Stef! I'm so sorry that I just now saw your reply... I didn't get any notifications about it and figured no one replied anymore.

Your idea sounds WONDERFUL... I'll have to hit up my grocery store and see what I can come up with...

THank you very much! ANd so sorry about the lat reply.

Sue...
Closed Thread