South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #1  

Default Kidney problems?

Can this diet hurt your kidneys? It doesn't seem possible, especially only on day 3. But I'm telling you last night I had the worst pain in my left back/side, right where the kidney is. It felt like it was cramping, but not like a muscle cramp but like an organ cramp (does that make sense to anyone but me? Like when you get monthly cramps, or if your stomach cramps...you can tell the difference between an organ cramp and a muscle cramp). I also got very faint so I checked my blood sugar (I'm type 2 diabetic) but it was fine. So I literally crawled upstairs to bed and went to sleep.

I'm not overdoing the protein and I'm eating lots of veges. But it hurt so bad last night I nearly passed out, and I was OK this morning but now it's starting to hurt again. I was thinking that maybe all the peeing was making my kidneys work too hard or something.

I've never had a kidney problem so of course I'm not even sure if this is in fact my kidney that hurts. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any kidney problems on this diet, or if anyone else has nearly blacked out from it. Can you feel faint from lack of carbs if your blood sugar is normal?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

I would suggest you call your doctor ASAP and get in for a check up. It could be a number of things but can't see where anything on this diet could cause it. Just mho. hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check with your doctor, please.
I am type II diabetic and have never felt faint on a low carb diet - and I did Atkins a few years ago. You are not suppoed to do low carb if you have kidney problems. Are you eating some carbs? Legumes are great. You should not be avoiding all carbs as you would on Atkins.
Let us know how you feel later today.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #4  

Yes, I'm eating lots of veges. Yesterday I had 2 eggs and Canadian Bacon in the a.m., l.f. cheese for snack, roasted veges and a small peice of salmon and s.f jello for lunch, peanut butter celery for snack, the white bean soup w/ turkey sausage and a big salad for dinner, and the S.B Peanut Butter Cup for dessert. Plus a few cups of half caf with f.f. half & half throughout the day. Oh, and a few almonds at some point if I recall. This is how I've been eating since Sunday so I can't imagine that the diet is hurting my kidneys. S.B doesn't put you into ketosis, does it?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 AM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

No it does not put you in ketosis. You really should call your doc.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:23 PM   #6  

I'm an RN...I have to agree. This diet really is more moderate carb than anything. The truth is, a symptom that is minor in a nondiabetic person can be serious in someone with diabetes. With your condition you cannot afford to let any symptom go without medical advice. Fortunately you have found the right diet to control your illness. You're on the right path.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone, especially moonmirror, as it's nice to get advice from a medical professional.

I'm feeling better today, although I was feeling the pain again this morning but it's eased up now. I'm not gonna call my doctor about this unless it continues or gets worse.

I guess I just wanted to be assured that a diet like this couldn't cause kidney problems after only 3 days. You guys have made me feel much better.
Closed Thread