Old 03-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #1  
Hang In There

Talking Way Over 40 #8

Yes I know I've been MIA. So What do I do to make my presence known? I start a new threat!!! That way you will have my lovely picture to look at even if I am a slug about posting.

We have been extremly busy at work, we have finally got the fiberglass plant up and running, but it is still taking all of Alvin & Marks time, so I am left to run things at the office/warehouse. I thought when the loan was approved that the pressure would let up, but boy was I wrong.

[Tahoma]Alice[/FONT] I'm sorry to hear about the machine shop closing, but if you can afford it, it sound great not to have all the pressures of a business. I fought for 30 years against having our own business, and finally got tired of fighting. I had lived with my parents ups and downs of having a business all my life, and now I'm right back in the same boat. When it's going good it's great, but when it's slow, it's terrible.

We have some close friends that are part owners of a machine shop here in Dallas (three brothers do the machining and 1 sister does the bookkeeping, etc. and the sister is our friend) and it's really up and down with them. Sometimes things are so slow she doesn't have any work and doesn't go in but to do payroll, then the next thing you know, she's there all the time, and the guys are working 12 & 14 hours days. At least our business is not so deadline oreinted.

Also, don't pull a Berniece on us and forget all about us when you get to Florida!!!

Siwa Glad you made it home and thing are back to normal. I could really get into the "hotel living" mode. I wish I had someone to come in for a few hours a day and clean and straighten up after us. Pick up the papers we leave strowed around, do the dishes every day, and especially change the cat litter!!! And if they wanted to start supper every now and then, that would be fine too. On yess then there's the laundry... I could go on and on...

CJ You amaze me with all you do and how well controlled you are with your eating and everything in your life with all the pain you are in all the time. Just keep up the good work. You are truely an inspiration when I get to feeling like I hurt to much to do anything, I think of you.

Katey Are you beginning to feel left out, not moving to Florida? I can't imagine all the snow you have been having this year. It is truely spring here in Dallas. I've moved all my houseplants to the patio already, and plantied annuals, and my perennells (that's not spelled right, but I don't have a clue what to do to correct it) are blooming, the grass is getting green, Sorry didn't mean to tease you. Anyway it is nice here.

Ann Are you going to have a Chick Meet when everyone ends up being your neighbors? I've only been across the top of Florida, and then in the Miami area, so I really don't have a feel for how far it is from north to south or from coast to coast. About how long does it take to drive from one end of the state to the other?

So you are getting used to the Lady of Leisure thing! How are things running without you at the stern? I'm sure you find plenty to do as it is.

Has anyone noticed that I have not mentioned weight? There is a reason. Things are more than stalled in that department. I think that I got so down after being kicked out of 2 research studies, I just shut down for a while. I have an appointment with my PCP on Wednesday and I am going to talk to her about my options. See if she has a "plan" that will work. And I am still thinking WLS, but still on the scared side. Maybe I'll try Hypnosis again. I did that once many years ago and loved it, but tried it again years after that and didn't like the person doing it and never got anything out of it. I may look into that.[/font]
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:57 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Barb: Glad you started the new thread. It certainly was time. It would be nice to have a Chick party when we get all the group or even part, in Florida. You certainly sound like you are very busy.

Florida is quite a big state. I don't actually know how long it would take to drive from one end to the other, but my best guesstimate would be from 10 to 12 hours. No to drive from side to side is different. Where we live it is one hour to either coast, so you can figure that out. But I know some places are a bit wider too.

I am enjoying not having the responsibility of being 'head honcho' Nice to be able to help or to say no sometimes.

I'm sort of stalled in the weight loss department too. But I just know it is a never ending battle. Never give up, I keep telling myself.

Tomorrow will be a busy day. We are setting up for a big reception for our Pastor and his wife. He will be leaving us and Sunday is his last Sunday with us after 18 years. It will be a bittersweet day, as we have a new Pastor coming May 1st, but it will be hard to say goodby also.

Hi to all. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

The reception is over, we have all said our goodbyes, and shed a few tears. Our committee was very busy running with dishes, and keeping the food tables full. it was a nice reception.

Tonight our Kitchen Band is doing a show, and some of the chorus members are serving punch and cookies afterward. They do it for us, and so we return the favor.
Then I think we are really winding down.

I guess everyone had a busy weekend, as no one has had anything to say. See you later. Ann
Old 03-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #4  
Citizen of the World

I for one, did not have a busy weekend. Just didn't look at the puter. I use it less often now that I'm home. When we were in AL the puter was right in the middle of things so it was more convenient --plus I had nothing else to do. DS cooked dinner last nite then the 3 of us went to a movie--"Lady Killers" Not the best movie. I'd heard the unfavorable reviews but wanted to see it anyway. VERY slow moving in places. I'd rate it mildly entertaining.

ANN--I actually wish our minister would leave. Eveyone (but DS and I, it seems) just loves him. I think he's too controling. He's been with that church longer than I have so don't know how many years but I think it's about 20. We chose that particular church because it had/has a strong youth program. The youth director is leaving after 8 years now. All the kids and parents love her. DS works with her on Wednesdays and is sorry to see her leave.
Siwaoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Siwa: That's tough to lose a good youth person. And I'm sorry that you arne't happy with your Pastor. I think there always comes a time when it is best for a Pastor to move on. They have probably done all they can for their congregation and it is time for new ideas. There was not animosity or difficulty with ours leaving. He is not going to another church, just feels that God now has another direction for his life. So yesterday was a sad but joyous day at the same time.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Just dropping in to say hi. Still not feeling good. Have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow. Maybe she will give me some meds or something to end this stuff!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:59 AM   #7  

Barb..love your "kitty"!!!!!!!! Thanks for the kind words, you made my day

My puter is not doing to well and it is hard to post some days, seems my ram is messed up (don't have enough) even after my son put more in and DH says a new computer is out for now. Just very frustrating to not beable to get it to work right! Been working in the attic, we have lots of mice up there and they are messy little critters! Stink...pew.....Trying to get things washed up and reboxed to store again! I have already thrown out 20 large garbage bags of unsalvageable stuff! The mice must have had a very big party up there! Got a DR. appt today and hope to get some errands run, better try to get some z's!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #8  

My trip out was not successful..the car has to be towed so DH picked me up and we at Mc D,s. one of the new salads. Then I worked some more on the attic and got an hour in the yard. Same yesterday. 1 hr yard work 2 hrs attic. I think the baby bed has to be pitched due to mouse damage! I have washed up all the bears , what a about cabbage patch dolss can they be washed? and need to try and wash some other stuff things too. Yucky mess it is...............tons of basets I will put outside to soak later too. I have pitched and pitched!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #9  

Cool

Good evening everyone,

I didn't realize there was a new thread! I've been thinking to myself, gee, nobody has posted on #7.

Barb, we have gone through some lean times with our machine shop, but we always had some work. We hadn't had anything since Dec. and DH had called our vendors to see if they had anything, but they were awfully slow too and it didn't look like things would pick up anytime soon. We really enjoyed the 20 yrs. we were in business, as we got to come and go as we pleased. How did your appt. with your PCP go?

Ann, it takes us about 6 hrs. or so to travel from Ft Myers to the FL/GA border. We are heading down there on Wed. and expect to arrive on Sat. While we are there we plan on looking around for houses. My ILs have been sending RE guides up for the past few weeks. Some of the house we've seen in the guide are already pending. I can't believe how fast houses sell down there!

Candice, sorry about your computer woes and car problems. Hope both are up and running soon. Can you get an exterminator to come in to trap the mice? We have a local exterminator who uses "Have-a-Heart" traps and a lot of people use him. I hate mice, but hate to see them suffer.

Siwa, sorry that the youth director for your church is leaving, it's always sad to lose someone who is so popular.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Alice
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:20 AM   #10  
Citizen of the World

Not much happening on my end. Watching spring come--the grass is greening nicely and have a few tulips coming up about 3". It's been a nice slow change into spring this year. We've had 60's then became cooler and now we're in the 50's daily. More typical is still in the 40's so I feel fortunate. DH has been working on a closet organizer in our closet. Our bed is covered w/clothes so we've been sellping in the guest room. Glad to have an extra bedroom for times like this.

ALICE--Good luck finding a place suitable for you in FL. After spending a winter in the condo I am beginning to think more seriously about a townhouse. I love my garden but........maybe sitting on a deck would be just as nice. This is the 1st time I've thought about my garden as work. we'll see when we're fully in the season how I feel.

CANDICE--I'm also in awe of you. You talk about eating cookies and other goodies all the time but you keep you weight in check. I'm not so fortunate. I'm still struggling to reach my goal but continually sabotage my efforts.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Well my doc gave me three different prescriptions, so I am finally feeling better. I go back next Wed to see how things are going, and to talk about the results of the blood tests, and to have a regular physical.

We are watching an antique auction on TV. I really do miss the antique shop and all of the auctions and estates sales and things we used to do. But now if we buy anything, I just have to figure where to put it, and I don't have any more "places".

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:35 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Cool

Blast!!! Just lost a nice post. Anyway, I haven't been sick or anything, just not in the mood for doing much except checking our email. Our Friend who is ill, had to go back to England, and unless God provides a miracle, we probably won't see him again. So we have been on the 'blue' side.

Candice: MICE!!!!!Yuck. I don't envy you all the work, and what can you do to guarantee that they won't be back? An exterminator sounds like a good idea to me. Good for you keeping your goal weight. I'm with Siwa, just seem to sabotage myself alot.

Alice: Hope you have luck finding a house down in South Fl. I don't envy you the traffic. And there is so much building going on there, especially between Fort Meyers and Bonita Springs. We didn't go further south, than BS but I bet it is just as bad around Naples and Venice. I can't help but wonder where water is going to come from for all the new homes and businesses.

Barb: Glad the meds have made you feel better. Hope all goes well with your physical, etc. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, that you are so busy you can't do Antique Auctions, since you don't have any more room.

Siwa: I agree that gardens are a lot of work, but sometimes I miss mine. I really enjoyed having flowers in the house. Now I have a little postage stamp that I keep out front of the house, for some color. That is about it.

Kate: What is happening with the weather in Rochester? Are things finally warming up? We have had an unusually cool spring here. The Temp was only 50º this morning. And I about froze in church. I ready for some really warm weather.

Did everyone go and see "The Passion" movie?
Just curious about what you think. I have heard so many varied comments, but most of them very supportive of the film.

The afternoon is going by too fast. It will take some time to get used to daylight savings time. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 04-04-2004 at 02:37 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #13  
Citizen of the World

Did some garden clean up yesterday. There was plenty I didn't get done last fall after foot surgery. I really hate spring clean up but at least it's not been rainy so it's been easy. I've gone 3 days w/o sabotaging myself with food and mentally I feel really good about that. Was looking at photos and saw how good I looked when I was quite a few #s lighter. Trying to use that as an incentive.

ANN--I have not see "Passion....." and don't intend to. Lots of Curves ladies have seen it and they are all very positive about it. I feel left out when they begin discussing it but still don't want to see it. Just not for me. I'm glad that I don't lose posts at home like I did in AL. It was so frustrating to write just exactly what I wanted to say and then have it disappear. The 2nd writing was never nearly as long or eloquent!

BARB--I can understand your antiques desires. I love to go antiquing but we mostly window shop for lack of space. When we do buy it's usually something small. I'd really enjoy furnishing a house w/2nd hand finds.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:34 AM   #14  

Well, some more yard work and mice patrol in the attic, almost done cleaning but
now I hate to put my new rubbermaid boxes with all my stuff back in the attic, (what
I could slavage anyway) but no where else to go with it! I have 3 kitties in the
basement but they do not know what to do with a mouse, I guess
living in an old house in the country has it's price.... WE just set traps up there and they come in mostly in the fall to nest, I had so much good stuff up there for them to get into that they felt right at home. We will always have them but plan to check on the traps more often now that the door is not blocked off. Everyone else out this way uses decon but we were told not too with our animals here.

I just went to put my laundry in the dryer and some idiot left a kleenex in their
pocket, boy was I hoppin mad with paper all over the clothes and my floor then I
realized I had stuffed kleenex in my shirt pocket while cleaning in the attic! I'm the
idiot so how can I be mad at me I realy need to get some
sleep!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #15  

Well..I'm just creeped out about this mice thing...a friend sent me some info and they are totally disgusting! Makes me want to burn everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!