Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-29-2004, 10:32 AM   #1  

Default Egg Whites

Sooo--I read all about egg white omlets and egg white this and that. But what do you all do with the egg yolks--like do you throw them away?

Was wondering, as it seems like a waste of an egg yolk.

I guess I could feed them to my husband--he will eat anything.
tucsonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #2  
Meg

Chris -- I use Eggbeaters, which are egg whites in a carton. Very convenient but not cheap. Other people just separate the eggs and throw away the whites.

I tried something new today which may gross everyone out, but here goes. I dumped a cup of Eggbeaters in my nonstick skillet and cooked them until they were set and browned like an omelet and then flipped it. I dumped on 1/4 cup of SF syrup and heated it until the syrup got bubbly. OMG -- it tasted like dessert!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I toss the yolks meself

What I generally have for breakfast is 1 whole egg plus 3 whites. That way I don't toss out nearly as many yolks and I use fewer eggs. Sometimes I use Eggbeaters if they're on sale...but generally eggs are the cheaper way to go (even with throwing out the yolks). My local Safeway sells a 60-egg carton for around $8.00 and that's why I buy - or I go to Smart & Final where I can get 18 extra large eggs for $2.59.

Meg - that sounds like a souffle!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #4  

Here are some ideas, but also try Joy of cooking:

Egg yolks + olive oil = homemade mayonnaise with no added sugar

Egg yolks + milk = custard

Egg yolks + sherry = syllabub and other whipped drinks

Baking, obviously, and egg glaze for baked goods.

Egg yolks also make a good face mask for dry skin, because of the cholesterol. You can also give them to your cat, if you have one, the yolks are good for their coat.

And I wouldn't toss all the yolks anyway-- they have a lot of nutrition despite the high cholesterol. I always have one in my omelet.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

don't some people hard boil the yolks and grate them on top of stuff?

and meg... grandma used to make us jelly omelets... yummmy. comfort food!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Knowing Chalupa del Fuego's tender stomach, if I DID feed him yolks, he'd probably hork it back up. (of course we're used to him doing that at least once every couple of weeks or so...)

I've heard of dogs being fed egg yolks for shiny coats, but this is the first I've heard of giving them to cats. Doesn't mean it's not true of course...

Ah well, I don't bake often or use mayo (and I have oily skin to boot!) so into the garbage disposal go my unused egg yolks...
Old 03-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #7  

Thank you all for the help. I dont eat many eggs, usually just have cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. I do eat hard boiled eggs at lunch and have been tossing out one of the yolks (have 2 eggs at a time).

Thankx again
tucsonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Someone out there HAS to invent the yolkless egg - it would be a great invention! (okay I admit that sometimes I feel a bit wasteful tossing them yolks... )

Okay - the Yolkless Egg goes on my list of stuff that should be developed, along with the Dissolving Dryer Sheet (I can't be the ONLY one who hates picking up those used dryer sheets that floof all over the place am I?) and of course, the Totally Calorie Free See's Candies (yeah like THAT'll ever happen!).
Old 03-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #9  
Meg

Quote:
Okay - the Yolkless Egg goes on my list of stuff that should be developed, along with the Dissolving Dryer Sheet (I can't be the ONLY one who hates picking up those used dryer sheets that floof all over the place am I?) and of course, the Totally Calorie Free See's Candies (yeah like THAT'll ever happen!).

How about self-cleaning teenagers? Non-shed kitties? Even pre-measured PB?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #10  
Mel

Hmmm...my dog's skin is flakey now because we've been feeding her low-fat dog food. Thanks for the idea. Mine usually go down the garbage disposal in a 4-1 ratio. I'm sure the pooch will enjoy it and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the fancy oil that I was supposed to buy for her.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually I learned about the Dog Egg Yolk connection through a Peanuts comic strip I saw a long time ago where Charlie Brown told Snoopy he put an egg yolk in his dinner to make his coat shiny!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #12  
JEC
Aussie and proud

its definately the case - yolks make their coat shiny. I love it and feed them yolks about once per week.

JC
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:01 AM   #13  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonchris
Sooo--I read all about egg white omlets and egg white this and that. But what do you all do with the egg yolks--like do you throw them away?

Was wondering, as it seems like a waste of an egg yolk.

I guess I could feed them to my husband--he will eat anything.
HEY Tucson Chris!! Welcome Neighbor!!!

I'm in Tucson too..I chatted with you before in chat. Glad to see ya here!!

LOL @ Hubby will eat anything!!! Sounds like mine!!

Eggs, Yolks and all, are very good for pets. I give my rats, cat, and dog eggs and they gobble them down. They all have very soft glistening fur. Course the dog and rats get bathed too...that also helps.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #14  

do you give the pets the eggs raw or cooked? The idea of eating raw eggs makes my skin crawl!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #15  

Default egg yolks

Hi all! I eat lots of egg whites and just wanted to chime in. I just toss the yolks and don't feel a bit guilty about it. I think that sometimes we feel like we have to eat something because we paid for it. Great example is in a restaurant... you may not be hungry enough to eat your entire entree - but you don't want it to go to waste. Your health is a priority now! And eggs are cheap. Don't worry. Please forgive the awful pun -- but it's better to go to waste than to waist.
caligirl is offline   Reply With Quote