South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:42 PM   #1  

Default Stay in phase one? Or go to phase two?

Hi all,
Well I FINALLY got my South Beach Diet book from my Amazon seller, now that I'm on day 14!! I really recommend that book. I like the way he writes, and he is generous toward all the other doctors and their diets...he seems to explore all points of view. Seems to be thinking about it, as it were.

Anyway, his thoughts on why we should enter phase 2 and not stay on phase 1 I found interesting. He thinks that psychologically we are more inclined to cheat if we stay on phase 1. I am having a very hard time with that issue. I feel very good, my body is REALLY trimming down (my husband is thrilled, as am I) and I am still enjoying the diet on phase 1. I never really was a fruit eater and I don't miss it. I suppose it might be nice to have an apple, but I don't really care. Also, I don't get all excited about whole grains. To me what I can add in phase 2 just sounds kind of boring, and I don't want to stall my weight loss.

Give me your thoughts on this. I have cheated twice in two weeks...one day I ate a small cupcake, and last night at the cocktail party I drank a few Jack Daniels with Diet Coke. Otherwise I'm on plan.

Have you guys all moved to phase 2? Did anyone decide to stay on phase 1 and how did that go? I'm really reluctant to graduate from my phase Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, MM
Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #2  
Chickpea

I just started this past Wed., but I decided to do the 2 weeks in Phase I then move on to 2. I want to have a variety of foods, including fruits and good carbs like yams, etc. I travel a bit and like to try different foods, so I think all of the phases are good for me. I don't plan to cheat because this is for my health. I notice that people contribute good recipes for "similar" foods that me miss, like the decadent fudge recipe. I must still work on that recipe, but at least it felt good to have some with cool whip. I'll try the orange jello with ricotta this evening. I prepared a Chinese chicken stir fry for dinner today and hope it tastes good! I like the Dr.'s writing style, too.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I didn't mind Phase I at all, and had such a great weight loss that I stayed on it another week, and my weight stalled! So I started adding a small apple with some peanutbutter every day for a snack, and maybe once a week I'll have either a small sweet potato or a half cup of brown rice. Other than that, I stay mainly with the Phase 1 plan. I've been losing 2-4 lbs. a week this way, so it works for me!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #4  

I have enjoyed phase one and decided to do a sort of phase 1.5 because I have got about 60 pounds to lose so would like to lose it a little faster than 1 pound a week. I have added back in fruit yogurt and extra portions of nuts. If I am out somewhere and there are no OP foods available I will have a piece of fruit or wholemeal bread and figure I am technically OP so it is no big deal. Stick with phase one longer if you are not bored with it, are finding it easy to deal with, and have quite a bit of weight to lose.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:06 AM   #5  

I really don't have a lot of weight to lose (maybe 25 more pounds or so, but a lot of that is vanity weight) so I don't mind losing slowly at all, but I guess I feel like I've found a "magic bullet," and I feel like adding in carbs will kill the magic!! We'll see how it goes. There's a few things I never even adopted; I still eat sugar in sauces (though I use very little sauce) because I like the way it tastes with fish and meat, and I have always eaten more nuts than I'm supposed to (because they're so tasty). The weight still seems to melt off.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:46 AM   #6  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

I only have a small amount of wt to lose also (15 lbs all together), but i went onto phase 2 so I wouldn't get bored with my food choices. I'm still losong wt, just a bit slower.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 AM   #7  

Moonmirror--

Tomorrow makes it 3 weeks on SBD. I have added back wine and an occasional cocktail. I have also had an "Atkins wrap" at Subway twice because I needed an easy-to-eat fast food meal. I am losing weight so slowly and am not inclined to add much else. I can live without an apple too.

So, like chick on the beach, I think I am doing a phase 1.5. I am still highly motivated and I can't see where I actually NEED to add back anything right now.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:26 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

Only 4 weeks on phase 1, is what Dr. A, recommends if you decide to stay on longer. But after 4 weeks, move on to Phase 2. This was from one of his chats. The longest I've stayed on Phase 1 was 3 weeks. I cheated a few times. Over did on Pistachios!! Oh, well. I think 2 weeks on Phase 1 is probably the best! Totally up the individuals.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:39 AM   #9  

Moonmirror,

I would say that your body will need some of the phase two types of carbs. I understand about not wanting the weight loss to stop, but it is worth thinking about it in terms of setting yourself up a sustainable eating plan for the long term. If your loss stops in phase two he suggests cutting back until it restarts.

good luck
Old 03-29-2004, 07:02 AM   #10  

It's all about the weight loss for me. That's my motivation since I've got a lot to lose. I've been on Phase 1.5 for weeks now and losing steadily. When I add the carbs, I seem to stall. But I thought this morning that I've been lacking some orange veggies, so I should add them this week. I don't miss the fruit; I'd rather have vegetables anyway. Jo
Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #11  

wow, I do appreciate all your input. I think you all have some great points to consider. This morning, I'm actually up a pound, and I'm not even sure the phase one thing is as effective at this point. I still feel great, but I think I've been overdoing it on my "allowed" foods because I'm hungry.

I agree about orange vegetables!! Funny you should mention that, but yams, carrots and oranges ARE missing. I may try to add back extra healthy things, like those and other fruits maybe, before adding back grains... I think its the grains I'm worried about.

Maybe adding a few foods back will kick-start my fat burning again!!
Happy Monday,
MM
Old 03-29-2004, 02:20 PM   #12  
resident lactivist

I'm another who's doing sort of phase 1.5. Phase I just wasn't working for me. I am an oatmeal freak. If I get my oatmeal, nobody gets hurt. That and the milk to cook it in are about the only things I've added back (oh, & SF ice cream), but I do flagrantly cheat occasionally. I wouldn't stick with it if I had to stay on Phase I; I only stayed on it a week. Since I was already eating more or less like phase II, I didn't have those mythical carb cravings, & upon considering it I have come to the conclusion that Phase I is basically a crash diet, intended to jump-start your weight loss & get you motivated. Not that I'm saying there's anything bad about that. But for me, I just felt it wasn't necessary.

I'm a real big believer in adapting a plan to work for you. The book doesn't really give any guidance about what is "low sugar", so I have carried over the old SugarBusters! standard of 4g or less per serving. I'm also retaining the info I've learned about the Glycemic Index, so if I have some pasta (all pasta is low-GI), I don't kick myself. It works for me, the scale & my clothes tell the tale. You have to figure out what works for you, or you won't stick with it.

What I'm saying is, don't add in foods you don't miss because you think you should. But don't kick yourself for having an apple. The main thing with whole grains is their fiber; but there are plenty of people with allergies or celiac disease who must avoid them & do fine. Just be sure you get your fiber from other sources, & it'll be OK. Phase I has the potential to be a bit nutrient-deficient because it's so low-carb. Just monitor what you're eating to make certain you're not undernourished.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:19 AM   #13  

I have adapted the SBD to my liking. I try to have whole grains one a day if I need to. I mostly avoid them and try to keep meals to meat and phase one veggies. I have been having my "carbs" in the morning as I like to eat dry cereal in the morning. I have tried the atkins cereals and found them to be a bit too sweet for me. I have been eating special K which I think has 11 net carbs per serving. What I really love is not WW has frozen entrees that are great on EBD called "The Truth About Carbs". They are really good, add a salad and it is a great quick meal.
Closed Thread