View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
SeekInnerThinChick

I hope you all don't mind me butting into the Atkins forum, but I felt I had to chime in. I'm very definitely experiencing a lot of changes. Only my husband remains the same. Some of the heavy ladies I hung out with at the pool now hate me, although one or two, the top of the local pecking order, are starting to "make nice" when they snubbed me before. I hate that. But I haven't always been fat, and I find people who don't know me are treating me like a "normal" person, whereas when I was at my high weight most people treated me as if I had a disfiguring, foul-smelling, contagious disease.

And it's not just our society that's like that. I have friends, acquaintances, and family from lots of different cultures, and it's been the same. There's a great book on this topic called "Survival of the Prettiest" by Nancy Etcoff. It talks about how human social pecking orders always get established, in all societies, based on how one looks, which is an index of one's health, fitness, desirability as a mate, etc.-- all as part of the struggle for survival. It's well worth reading, in my view, and it certainly has helped me know what to expect. Good Luck with your program, everyone.
Goal: size 10 in Levi's 515 jeans.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote