Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Sneaker / Walking Shoe Question

I am looking for a good shoe, on the bottom of my heal kinda by the in step I think I have a bone spir (sucker hurts) anyway, can you recommend a GOOD SUPPORTING light weight walking/hiking/sneaker/shoe ?

Thanks, Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #2  

Most supportive shoes are going to be a little heavier, but there are a few light ones... Brooks makes a great supportive shoe, the mens version is the BEast, and the women's is called something else, Ariel/Aurora maybe??? SOmething like that, but it is the most supportive Brooks running shoe.

Bone Spurs on the instep are new to me? Maybe it is Plantar Fasciitous... Anyway, shoes are important, so make sure you go see someone who knows what they are talking about. If you have a running specialty store, they are used to helping people determine the perfect shoe... Without the right shoes, you will not be able to exercise... We all know exercise and moderate diets are the most important parts of losing weight!!! Good Luck 2 you.
conway_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #3  

First, have you had your foot looked at by a doctor? You may want to make an appt. before starting a walking program. You could do more damage to your feet.

I have walked several long distance races (marathon, 5K's, etc.). My walking coaches recommend a flexible shoe, go for the ones that say "running." Take it in your hands from heel to toe and bend. It should be flexible. I've had good luck with New Balance and Succony, but everyone is different.

Also, be sure to buy a shoe 1/2 to one size larger than normal. Get the really padded running socks. (they have these at running specialty stores). This always helps me stay comfortable walking, and it may help your foot condition.
beach-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:51 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thank you both !
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #5  

What about a new insole? Every pair of tennis shoes I've ever worn has needed more heel cushion, higher arch, more shock absorbing...

As for light shoes, my favorite is the Adidas Climacool. It feels as light as a ballet slipper. I use running shoes because they support your arch better and Adidas fit my wide foot better.
South Dakota Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dakota Chick
What about a new insole? Every pair of tennis shoes I've ever worn has needed more heel cushion, higher arch, more shock absorbing...

As for light shoes, my favorite is the Adidas Climacool. It feels as light as a ballet slipper. I use running shoes because they support your arch better and Adidas fit my wide foot better.
Careful, lighter is NOT always better, or else we would run/walk in ballet slippers... You need support, and you need a lot more than insoles, they are not really that functional anyways... I would look for support... I am assuming you are ovrpronating, and it is putting stress on your arch... This needs to be remedied, and lightweight shoes are NOT the answer, they will hurt you even more. Go for support, and don't buy anything crappy (pardon my french). Shoes can differ greatly in functionality.
conway_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

My Chiropracter told me that New Balance shoes were one of the few things that Chiropractors and Orthopedic Dr's both agreed on. I had some bad foot problems about 2 years ago and he told me to buy New Balance shoes and some Sof insoles for all of my other shoes. They have several kinds of insoles, and to know which one you need, you stand on a platform with your shoes off and it shows where your feet strike with heat sensors. With that info, you will know which insoles to buy. They have the machine at an Athlete's Foot in my town. They probably have them at more shoe stores.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:21 AM   #8  

I also vote for New Balance, as I have flat feet with artificial arches that tend to flatten out over time as I walk or jog. They also come in wide widths, and I have 6 1/2 E feet-- so if they can fit me they can fit almost anyone. But I would also go see a doctor, someone in sports medicine preferably, if you aren't seeing one already.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote