Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 03:55 AM   #1  
Live for the Moment!

Default Quitting Smoking..

Well not only am I looking to get healthy by losing all this excess weight and making better choices in life, I want to be healthy all around.. My goals also include excersizing and gaining control of my life again, which means I have to quit smoking. I'm asthamtic and really can't smoke anymore, so I'm asking for your help..

Can anyone out there who's quit succesfully offer some advice on how they did it? I have tried quitting many times before and its never lasted longer than 3 weeks. I don't want to take Zyban, as I don't think that would be very healthy for someone who's not depressed (for those who don't know, Zyban is an anti-depressant used to quit smoking).

Thanks,
Celina
Old 03-20-2004, 07:24 AM   #2  

I had 3 friends quit in the past couple months using the patch. They are all still smoke-free and loving it.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:30 AM   #3  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy! I quit smoking last year (after 25 years of ) but it was made easy for me because I had a financial setback that resulted in absolutely NO funds for cigarettes. Then of course once I got back on my feet financially I made the decision not to start back.

I know of people that have used the patch with great success also, and I've known several that have taken Wellbutren (?). Wellbutren is also an antidepressant, but like Zyban it's used for other things as well. And in my opinion it's better to take an antidepressant when you're not depressed than to continue smoking.

Now, if it would help any you can give all your money to me so that you wouldn't have the funds for cigarettes.

Melissa
Old 03-21-2004, 02:45 PM   #4  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi there!

I successfully quit smoking last October, and like you was dieting at the same time. I am very proud because it was my first attempt at quitting - it was really important for me to succeed, so I didn't even try until I was 100% sure that I wanted to do it.

I used nicotine patches and I would certainly recommend them. Obviously the main reason I wanted to give up was for my health and I had a terrible fear of getting a smoking related cancer or a stroke. So whenever things got difficult, i used to say to myself 'no matter how much I am suffering at the moment will be nothing compared to having my tongue cut out or my voice box removed'.It sounds terrible - but it really worked for me.

i am also a christian, and prayed alot about it and believe God really helped me through it.

the one thing that did suffer was my diet - i ended up putting on about 10lbs - but I wasn't too worried as i knew quitting smoking was the most important thing I would ever do for my body.

GOOD LUCK with it - it's not easy, but it's not imposible either and the freedom from fear is worth feeling uncomfortable for a few months.

Love Amanda xx
Old 03-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #5  

I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago and i used the nicotrol inhaler and lots of hard candies. Make sure that if you smoke in the house you get rid of all the ash trays and get alot of febreeze to get the smell out. I would suggest finding a sugar free hard candy or gum you like to help keep your mouth occupied. I know you can do it!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Hey Brooklyn,

I'm not a smoker, but my sweetie is (and she's a Brooklynite from Marine Park, by the way! I'm from Chelsea, in Manhattan, so we agree to disagree on which borough should be at the center of the map!

Anyway, she's a Marlboro girl who (reluctantly) wants to quit too, but is afraid to try. Please keep us posted on your progress, so I can share it with her in the hopes that it will spur some kind of action. I'm so worried about her health.

HUGE KUDO'S to you on your decision to quit -- I know you can do it, and wish you every bit of strength and resolve to help you along your way. You're going to kick that habit's a**.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:26 PM   #7  
beautiful

i'm not sure if i'm much help since i only quit the other day. but i've gone almost 2 days smoke free!!!! cold turkey!!!! i have 4 packs sitting on the counter staring at me and calling my name. every time i think of smoking i just tell myself NO!!!! my health and being there for my kids is more important to me.
Closed Thread