Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Angry I started my therapy!!!

Well, this is kind of a spin off of what STEP brought up...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38031

So, I started therapy yesterday for dealing with my compulsive overeating/binge eating/compulsively spending. The therapist, deals with addiction of all kinds, and specializes in eating disorders. ugh....it was a good appointment, but I feel like I am "confessing" to a preist or something. And I think too, as far as our society has come, there is still a stigma attached to "therapy" I am also so darn stubborn....so, I probably should of seeked therapy years ago.....but, I resisted until recently. I felt that I am educated, well read...so why do I need therapy???? Sha right....who was I kidding???? My SIL hit the nail on the head when I told her that I was going to therapy, she said, "Look at the therapist as a mirror, and the mirror is only reflecting what you can't see with out it". Hmmmm, good point, I never really looked at it that way.

Anyhoo, on the upside, I like my therapist, and she said I have done a lot on my own as far as "self help" sort of say. The first appointment was basically, an intake process as far as past medical history and stuff. So...I just wanted to fill people in on what's going on in my neck of the woods!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

gina i'm so proud of you!!! and i LOVE that mirror analogy. i've often said that a good therapist holds up a different mirror..

and there's a big difference between intellect and emotion, and unfortunately, one has almost nothing to do with the other.

soooo glad you're doing this, and look forward to giving you lots of hugs and hankies...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #3  

Gina, I second Jiff's sentiment -- I'm so glad you took this step to feeling better. True, it's hard, but I know from experience that it's also worthwhile. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #4  

Good for you Gina. You are a very strong person and it is wonderful that you are doing something so positive for yourself. It is true, the therapist is just a mirror to the things you are unable to see. Sounds like she is very knowledgeable of addictions and will be perfect. Keep me posted on how you are doing! I am proud of you for taking such good care of yourself.

Jenaya
Old 03-17-2004, 02:24 PM   #5  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Awwww thanks everyone.....I can honestly say now (not three weeks ago) that I am happy that I did make that first step in getting myself help! Thanks for responding!
Closed Thread