Old 03-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Friday!!!! 3/12

to all that posted last night. I noticed someone was losing their shorts I miss all the fun j/k. Congrats on the needing new clothes

Hey all it's FRIDAY!!! Come celebrate!!!! Unfortunately here it's also freezing cold outside. And of course I've got shopping to do. I'm sooo tempted to try on some summer clothes and see if mine fit (or fall off ). I'd love to also try on some jeans at the store. I'm down to 3 pair that fit (one is button fly--and w/all the water I'm drinking? Enough said right?) so I'd like to have a variety. I'll ask for some for Mothers Day. lol. Tomorrow is scale day. I'm thinking-if it's not up, that's great. If it's down, excellent. But I'm pretty darn happy (amazing what a good nights sleep will do!!) so I'm just in a "I don't care" mood. DH was poking me last night and it wasn't feeling the best, he's like "Well, put some flesh back on those bones and you won't feel those pokes." He's got such a way with words. lol. But I took it for the compliment it was!!

Hope you all have a GREAT day!!! (And I envy the people with warm weather!!)
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:48 AM   #2  

Good morning Brenda and all to come.

Weigh in day was good to me. I am down about another pound. I don't have a digital scale so it is tough to read but as long as it keeps going down I don't care. That makes 20 pounds from my highest weight. I can't believe it.

I did my WATP video last night instead of going out into the cold for a walk. Actually broke a sweat this time. Boy that tape is harder than you think.

In another pair of 12 jeans today. They are the relaxed kind so I know they are made big but I DON'T CARE

Well the big NY trip is next weekend. I AM DREADING IT. His daughter keeps making comments like "I didn't think you were coming Dad with everything that happened" and "Are you making Jane go?" For those that don't know the story it is too long and too stupid to even write about again. I can't believe the legs this incident has grown. God I thought my family was tough but his kids and his ex-wife take the cake! I told him last night I think he should go on his own. Which I know I can't do because I AM A BIGGER PERSON then all of them. But I sware if his ex-wife or daughter says ONE thing to me I will explode.
I really never had the "ex vs. new" wife issues I sware......I could care less about her. Except when she starts on me, then all gloves are off. I had nothing to do with their breakup so don't drag me into it lady. If you hate him that's just fine with me. You don't even know me so if you are small enough to lump me in with that equation then you are stupid and petty.

Ok, I am done.

Brenda: I will celebrate Friday with you! WOOHOO.

We are having my mother over for dinner on Sunday. I am making Beef Burgundy. It is a very long recipe so I know it is going to take forever. But my dh and my mother have been craving it

Have a good day everyone.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Morning,

Brenda, I've had a few remarks like that too, I'm cutting myself on your elbows, your ribs are digging into me, blah blah Men do have such a way with words. And it's probably what you ate b/f bed, I know I'm the same way even OP stuff, after 7p.m. and I feel it the next day.

Thanks for the kind words Robin, I'm trying to love the curves, hourglass used to be a swear word in my world but when I'm not well over 200lbs I realize it's actually kinda cool, shake what your momma gave you! Once you started BFL, I looked into the exercise portion and have been doing that for my weight workouts and am very much liking the results. Thank you!

Karen wtg and about the shorts falling off that was a fabulous mental picture. And ty for reminding me about the darn summer clothes, I was 220 last year so I'm guessing it's new wardrobe time, darn

Well gotta run, started my longer workouts this morning and it's cutting my posting time down, I'll have to figure out how to do both, b/c this place is just as important as exercise is for me some days. Oh wow Friday, just remembered! It's the weekend

to everyone else!
Tummy
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:03 AM   #4  

Thumbs up

Good morning all!!!

Brenda: It is freezing cold here too!! Cleveland keeps getting nice weather only to follow immediately with freezing temperatures and snow!

Jane: As a stepdaughter, I can tell you it is easier to blame the stepmom than the parents. I hope your hubby's former wife is not poisoning their daughter against you but it might be happening. If she is young aka under 20, try to bear in mind that she might be a pawn in a game other people are playing. Yes, it is unfair that you are suffering from it but she might desperately need a caring adult with no agenda in her life. If she's an adult, call her out on it. She might not be actually seeing what she is doing and how she is treating you as strange as that sounds. I get along better now with my stepmom than I do either of my parents. She initially joined the power play and then, when I was off to college and thereafter, realized what was really going on. She sought me out, apologized as did I (for I really did treat her badly) and we are now good friends. I apologize if I have stepped in unwarranted since I don't know the whole story but having been there, but in a different role, I really identified with what you are saying.

TummyGirl: How do you get motivated to get up and work out? I figure I just need to set a few alarms and make myself DO IT!

Also ladies, how do you ignore temptation?!?! I am ashamed to admit this but yesterday was day two and I cheated. My ex came up to discuss custody (we coparent and share a house split into 2 apartments... I'm up, he's down) and the move to NC and brought ice cream. He was eating it and asking me if I wanted a bite. I refused while he was here but he left the ice cream and not ten minutes after he left I was sitting on the couch eating a bowl of it! I feel HORRID! I removed all temptation from the house. I just emailed him informing him he is NOT allowed to bring non Induction foods in the house. He replied asking why I had no willpower. I am really bummed this morning but back on plan.
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies, YIPPEEE its Friday

Just popping in to say hello and its good to see your all having so much fun. Some day I'll be able to slow down and smell the chocolate, I mean roses

Michele, temptation is the devil for sure. You just got to be stronger than it. Ask yourself whats more important. I almost ate a chocolate cookie yesterday, I knew TOM was coming (and it did this morning ick) and felt the urg really bad, I sniffed the cookie and said to myself what are you doing ??? I put it back and went to bed. The blasted cookies will be here tomorrow and the day after, I have one life to live and I want to be healthy....

Also remember persistance not perfection wins the race. You can always go to the store to buy goodies, they aren't going anywhere so remember that. Try getting angry at the food, its funny but it does help.

Okay girlies, you all have a wonderful weekend and behave
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

Jane: sorry to hear about your troubles. I was so hoping they were at least calming down. Hopefully your vacation goes well! And congrats on the good weigh-in

Tummy: I'll have to remember not to eat after 7ish (or maybe 6ish would be better). You DO look great so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back and keep up the good work!!

Michele: There are days I can't avoid temptation. Usually it's around TOM. Then I make sure to make low-carb snacks (ask around-people know I'm a snitcher of chocolate whipped topping). I've even had low-carb brownies. Just remember, if you fall off this WOE, just dust yourself off and start again. It took a lifetime to get where we're at....It's going to take a while to re-train ourselves. Tell the ex to lump it w/the self-control or you'll find a new place to put the carb foods he brings around

Leenie: I'll leave you to smell the chocolate. I think I'd be too tempted if I did Try not to work too hard!!! Have a great weekend

Can you all tell I'm bored? I gave myself until 9:00 to play around on the computer and then I'm getting to work on shaping up this house. It'll take all day to do So don't be surprised to see me puttering around online and answering posts like crazy
Old 03-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Morning Ladies

SouthernGirl~ your ex knows your on a diet and trying to lose weight? Why do you think he brought the icecream in the first place? Then cuts you down when you ask him not to bring it in the house? Well, this got me really fired up, and pissed off!! (can you tell I have an ex too?) Ok, so next time, offer to give it back to him, the kids can eat it at his place....if he refuses, just take it out of the freezer when he leaves and pour hot water all over it. Then toss it. Dont give him any fuel to cut you down. He doesnt need to know your on a diet.....he'll see it soon enough when your looking hotter than you ever did with him!! By then it will be too late to try to sabotage your hard efforts.

I wasnt going to post this morning, but boy, that one got me typing pretty fast

Tummy~ keep up the good work, its really showing, and your looking wonderful
Karen~ was hubby around when your pants were falling off
Brenda~ men certainly do have strange ways of complementing us dont they?

I seen my first robin yesterday.......poor bugger must be buried in snow today. They are calling for a storm around here, but Im not getting too excited. The news gets wayyyyyyyyy too excited about a few inches of snow. When its feet of snow, and I cant see the house across the street, then its news worthy, but thats not whats expected this weekend.

I'll check back later today......have a good one
Robin

Last edited by RobinH; 03-12-2004 at 09:37 AM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #8  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl
Good morning all!!!

Also ladies, how do you ignore temptation?!?! I am ashamed to admit this but yesterday was day two and I cheated. My ex came up to discuss custody (we coparent and share a house split into 2 apartments... I'm up, he's down) and the move to NC and brought ice cream. He was eating it and asking me if I wanted a bite. I refused while he was here but he left the ice cream and not ten minutes after he left I was sitting on the couch eating a bowl of it! I feel HORRID! I removed all temptation from the house. I just emailed him informing him he is NOT allowed to bring non Induction foods in the house. He replied asking why I had no willpower. I am really bummed this morning but back on plan.
Michelle! I am going to just jump in here even thought I havent had a chance to welcome you (And all the other Newbies) to the group!

First off.. Ignore that remark about willpower! You are on day 2! You arent expected to be 100% full of willpower! With stress like you have.. that is a HUGE temptation right there.

Secondly, Have lots of on-plan snacks in the house. My pantry is full of pepperoni sticks (Slim Jims) Chicken Vienna Sausages, Pork Rinds, String Cheese, and Celery and cream Cheese in the fridge. Those are the things that get me through stress and Cravings with TOM.

Third, remember it will take at least a good week or more before the carbs are out of your system and the cravings stop. At about week 3 of induction, I had no desire for sweets or bread and pastas. It has been 7 months now and I have yet to eat a cookie or bread or anything like that. Of course, I am insulin resistant so I most likely wont ever have cookies or real ice cream again.. or at least in the quantity I would like! So that helps me stay clean too.

I hope that helps! It really is a tough road in the begining, but stick with it! You should be proud that you recognized it from the beginning! Many dont and derail themselves on the first day... :
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #9  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

GOOD MORNING TO EVERYONE!

I am here having my first cup of Java for the day and reading posts! I had a hard time dragging my body out of bed this morning!

Jane - I must have been gone when you had your post about your ex.. but all I can say is I am so sorry you have to deal with this! You are definately the better person! And you will continue to be!

Brenda - DH told me that my elbows are sharp now! LOL! I guess at night I poke him! How are Girl Scouts? We are starting to get ready for bridging now!!

Tummy - you are doing so well! Are you on OWL? was it hard to switch? I am still doing induction. Although I have added some foods back in I still stick to the 20 carbs. But Monday I am going back to strict induction for 2 weeks then on to OWL... any wise words would be very helpful!!

Leenie: You always have some great wise words too!

Robin: Nope, DH wasnt home! Im sorry BFL didnt work for you, but I am so glad to have you back with us!! I start going back to the gym on monday too! DH will be back to his normal schedule then and I can get back there at 5 AM!

Well, Im off. Gotta get the kids ready for School Picture day!

See ya all later!!
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:10 AM   #10  
Head Princess

Hello Darlings!

God, I miss you guys!!! I'm averaging 12 hours a day, but I'm almost through this. Everything will done by Wednesday and I'm leaving at noon that day to go do some St. Paddy's celebrating with my co-workers.

I finally broke the nearly 7 week stall I had!!!! Two little changes was all it took. First, I went back to my earlier eating style. I've given up on meals for the most part and now I just eat a little something ever two-ish hours. Here's how the typical meal day for me looks now:

7:00 - cheese (usually smoked or extra sharp cheddar)
9:00 - celery sticks or cucumber slices (takes an hour or more to eat)
11:30 - veggie stir fry (or a chicken quesidilla, or something like that)
2:00 - string cheese
4:00 - another veggie snack (sliced orange bell peppers, cauliflower florets, etc)
6:00 - "dinner" some form of meat and a spinach salad
8:00 - peanut butter or almonds or the occasional low carb ice cream sandwich

It's working soooooooo good! I'm not getting all hungry and making crazy food decisions and I'm just feeling so much better. I've also given up drinking any alcohol for the most part. DH started induction on Monday so I've been not drinking in support of him, but the way the WHOOSH Fairy just suddenly appeared, I'm gonna stick with this.

I'm sorry I've missed so many posts. I hope everyone is doing well. to the newbies! I'll be back in a few days for real.

TTFN!

~Star~
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #11  
Baby Steps

Karen
Star (try not to work too hard. And tell DH congrats on starting Atkins)
Old 03-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #12  

Smile

leenie: You are so right that I have to be the one to make a choice between food and my own health. In my early 20s I lost 20 pounds by being in what I called the "Zone". All foods like pizza and sweets would take on "bad" and inedible images in my head and I wouldn't want them. It worked well. I wish I could get that back. I think being around a supportive peer group helped me then and it will help me now thanks to the support of the wonderful ladies here!!

Brenda: I think that is part of my problem.. I had nothing low carb around to eat while he was here. I figured in Induction I couldn't have the bars and shakes. That said, I can have pepperoni and cheese and celery with cream cheese so I need to go off and buy that to snack on when hungry and/or tempted. Great suggestion.

Robin: It made me mad too but we discussed it today and he promised not to do it again. He, too, has a bit of a weight problem and fessed up to being a bit cowed that I am moving on so quickly and so well in terms of weight loss, getting my life in order, etc. I think we have a better understanding of each other and I am ready to try, try again.

Karen: That helps so much. I added your recommended snack list (are pork rinds really good???) to my shopping list for the weekend and am excited all over again. I reminded myself today what I did when I stopped smoking. For four months I simply removed myself from any situation that brought me in contact with smokers and smoking until I knew I had it under control. I have to treat my diet in the same way. For me, it takes months and visible results to have willpower. I don't know if that makes me weak or merely human. Thank you so much for the good tips and the vote of confidence.

Thank you so much everyone!!! I really appreciate the words, wisdom and suggestions.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:48 AM   #13  

southerngirl: I so appreciate your comments. Hearing from a stepdaughter herself really helped. She is 30 years old and his son is 32 or something. They are old enough to know that I am not in some power struggle between their parents. But their mother does poison them against their father. I have seen and heard it for years. She hates him so much and she has done everything in her power to make sure the kids don't improve their relationship with him instead of helping. My dh unfortunately isn't very forthcoming with his feelings etc so is not inclind to go to them. He thinks if they want a relationship with him they should reach out to him. I think it should be 50/50. But each time I make him reach out he gets smacked in the face. I remember when his granddaughter was born I made him "pop in" to his son's house and when we got there he told his father it wasn't a "good time" and never even let him in the door. He still hasn't forgotten it but never said anything to the kid. I would have kicked his
Neither of his kids know a THING about me and they don't really care to. His son told me the last time I talked to him to stay out of it. I know he was upset that day and probably feeling guilty over his grandmothers death but I will not stand by and continue to see my husband treated like a piece of crap by these kids. Whatever he did or didn't do is in the past and they are adults now. GET OVER IT. This coming from a child with family issues of her own. But I got over them for the most part. I understand they never truely go away but I have been able to maintain a relationship with my mother that I never had before. Unfortunately my father died before he and I could enjoy the same thing. If they don't make an attempt they will be sorry some day.

Anyway, thank you again for your input. It really helped.

What a saga!!!!!! They just need to drop it! Or talk to me about it. The phone is a wonderful invention....use it!

STAR!!!! Yeah, you are back...well almost. Hopefully next week we can catch up more. Glad you have been doing well and that your dh is joining you. I too stopped drinking during the week. I actually like it...didn't think I could do it. It hasn't made a HUGE difference in my weight loss but maybe it just needs time to catch up to me.
Talk to you more next week.

KarenW: I want all my summer clothes to fall off me too I am so going to need new clothes this summer. Last summer I was 178......not this summer

RobinH: We too are going to get some kind of storm today. I hope it doesn't amount to anything. There weren't many birds at our feeder this morning..hope that isn't some kind of sign.

Leenie:

Tummy Girl: A shopping we will go! Won't it be nice to have nice new summery slim clothes this year? Can't wait.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane8760
southerngirl: I so appreciate your comments. Hearing from a stepdaughter herself really helped. She is 30 years old and his son is 32 or something. They are old enough to know that I am not in some power struggle between their parents. But their mother does poison them against their father. I have seen and heard it for years. She hates him so much and she has done everything in her power to make sure the kids don't improve their relationship with him instead of helping. My dh unfortunately isn't very forthcoming with his feelings etc so is not inclind to go to them. He thinks if they want a relationship with him they should reach out to him. I think it should be 50/50. But each time I make him reach out he gets smacked in the face. I remember when his granddaughter was born I made him "pop in" to his son's house and when we got there he told his father it wasn't a "good time" and never even let him in the door. He still hasn't forgotten it but never said anything to the kid. I would have kicked his
Neither of his kids know a THING about me and they don't really care to. His son told me the last time I talked to him to stay out of it. I know he was upset that day and probably feeling guilty over his grandmothers death but I will not stand by and continue to see my husband treated like a piece of crap by these kids. Whatever he did or didn't do is in the past and they are adults now. GET OVER IT. This coming from a child with family issues of her own. But I got over them for the most part. I understand they never truely go away but I have been able to maintain a relationship with my mother that I never had before. Unfortunately my father died before he and I could enjoy the same thing. If they don't make an attempt they will be sorry some day.

Anyway, thank you again for your input. It really helped.

What a saga!!!!!! They just need to drop it! Or talk to me about it. The phone is a wonderful invention....use it!
My goodness. This is so sad for all the parties involved!! It takes time but believe me, kids who want to know the truth figure it out. I love both my parents but they both had me in the middle of a horrid game of their own invention. As an adult I have forgiven them and love them both but it was a long road to haul and we are on polite terms as opposed to good terms. But there is at least mutual respect which you and your husband are not getting.

Absolutely demand respect!!! You deserve it. I found using the phrase once to my mother "You would treat a common stranger with more respect than you have me" in a certain situation really hit home for her. Things got a little better after that. One thing my stepmother said to me a few years back was that all she asked of me now was friendship and respect and if I could not give her that, then I was the one with the problem. It was quite the wake-up call but I am thankful for that.

At worst, common courtesy should be expected and can be demanded by you from your hubby's ex and his children. At their age it is no longer about fault (or shouldn't be) and all about the new generation. I hope they get over themselves for your sake and your husbands but most of all for their own kids. You don't want to burden such young souls with years of hate and issues that are not theirs. I pray all gets worked out and you and your husband get the respect you both deserve!!! I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Regarding the son's saying "we have a problem" and not letting you and your husband in.. I can relate to that. We once had a day with seven unannounced visitors right after we had Drue. I was nursing every two hours and we had just fallen asleep when my mom came by unannounced. Jason turned her away and she was LIVID! It took us weeks to calm her down and eventually I gave up figuring she'd get over it or she wouldn't. There might be more going on behind that door than you and your hubby know. It's so easy to react and get hurt during a time like this when so many tempers are flaring and his son and daughter aren't giving either of you the respect you deserve. But sometimes certain things may not be a slight. I know you are more aware of the situation than I could ever be but that particular story reminded me of my own and hopefully it was just that they were exhausted and it was truly "not a good time".
Old 03-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Star & Karen
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote