YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 02-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #1  

Default Dr. Phil, Let's Start From The Beginning (again!) Chapter 6 - Key 3: No-Fail Envir

The entire title wouldn't fit on the title line -

Key 3: A No-Fail Environment Unlock the Door to External Control

Link to previous discussion of Chapter 5 - Key 2

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36381

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #2  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Thanks Dip! I have a lot to say, but I don't have time to post it now. I will post tomorrow.

Summer
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #3  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

I'm just posting so i get email updates. I'm way behind.......but i'll catch up soon!
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #4  
Mommy, wife, teacher

I have a lot to say, so I'll just say it.

The power of cues...I am working really hard with my DD to notice when she is hungry and full. I no longer know how to only eat when I'm hungry, and stop eating when I'm full. My favorite external cues include:
1. sight of food
2. aroma of food
3. flavor of food
4. watching tv
5. being offered food
6. vacations
7. parties
8. food advertisements
What really frightens me is the paragraph, Scientists also believe that another reaction is triggered...in response to the sight of a pie, your body begins to churn out more of the hormone insulin. Even if you don't eat a single morsel of pie, insulin begins to do a couple of its regular jobs. It accelerates the intake of fat into cells for storage (yes, just looking at food may make you fat). Second, insulin reduces levels of blood sugar in your body, which it ordinarily does after you've eaten, in order to move that blood sugar into your cells for energy. This creates a state of low blood sugar that leads to hunger. When I think of all the times I would watch tv and I would salivate over a commercial, or be somewhere where there was delicious food, I am blown away. This is so horrible...especially the way fast food companies are making us fat even if we don't eat fast food!

FOOD IS EVERYWHERE...DO I NEED TO WALK AROUND WEARING A BLINDFOLD AND A NOSEPLUG IN ORDER TO BE THIN?!

I agree with Dr. Phil that programming is the key, because I have no willpower.

I think the paragraph on p. 117 about skim milk is hilarious! He says that at first skim milk is objectionable and eventually it becomes enjoyable (yeh right!) and that whole milk becomes objectionable because it tastes too heavy and rich. (Good one!!!) I HATE SKIM MILK...ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL!!! I love whole milk. In fact, I could have a bowl of cereal with half & half, without it seeming too heavy and rich. We drink Simply Smart milk with 0% fat because it tastes like 2% milk. DD drinks the Simply Smart with 1% fat which tastes like whole milk. I like it a lot, and if I want the taste of whole milk, I drink DD's without really "cheating."

I also found it quite humorous further down on p. 117 when he said that after a period of new eating behavior, I "may not desire any snack food other than foods like plump, juicy fruits, or other satisfying vegetables." (like that is gonna happen!!!) Look, I tolerate vegetables in order to be healthy. They will NEVER satisfy me as a snack. I like most fruits, but if I am really hungry, I want something substantial like a hard boiled egg or some low fat cheese to fill me up.

Check out p. 119, "After a few days, I honestly forgot about that food," her tall husband put food where she couldn't reach it, "out of sight, out of mind." OH PLEASE!!! If my DH put something where I couldn't reach it, I'd just climb up on a chair and get it in a weak moment. The food would call my name and haunt me. When I want to avoid a food, DH has to hide it where I will never find it. It is the only way for me.

The rest of the chapter, I can really buy into. I know I can make most of the changes. I just think that the wonderful Dr. Phil who always tells us to "Get Real" needs to get real himself.

Maybe I am a tough case. I guess we will find out!

Summer

Last edited by Summerlover; 03-01-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #5  

Summer, LOL, yep, I think you *are* a tough case. Although I am easily still a sucker for sweets, I can enjoy them once in awhile, and then immediately turn back to eating the way I should. Cake and pie, muffins, sweet rolls, and home-made cookies are my weakness. I allow myself a free meal each week, usually on Friday evening because Friday mornings are my 'official weigh-in day.' But Saturday morning, I'm ready to go back on program. If it's not free meal day, and I see something I absoultely have to have, I apply the 3-bite rule. 3 bites and down the disposal it goes. 3 bites will not do significant damage.

I've always been been a big milk drinker too, but not anymore. I only used skim milk on my oatmeal (no cereal because it's too highly processed), but learned to enjoy oatmeal with defrosted frozen blueberries or strawberries and Splenda. I'll have an occassional bowl of Special K and skim now and then, though. Even 2% tastes like cream to me now. I leave a cup of green grapes out each day and a cup of sliced cucumbers for "grab snacks." I have found that the longer you go without something, the less you will crave it, and eventually not want it at all. I've heard maintainers and many losers say that also.

As you enter the front door of my grocery store, the bakery is on the right and the deli is on the left. You have to pass both to get to the produce. I stare straight ahead, concentrating on the produce, and shield my eyes with my right hand as I pass the bakery. Best time to go is in the evening when they are not baking. In the old days, I would buy myself a few Krispy Kremes to eat on the way home. That was a hard habit to break, but I haven't purchased anything to eat on the way home for a year. The smells emitting from Burger Kings and KFC's don't bother me anymore. I can think, "Gee, that smells good" and let it go. I guess it is just a matter of retraining and breaking the associations.

My worst time is around 4PM when I start dinner. The best filler upper I can make for myself is a whey shake with a 1/4 - 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese. I'll drink it down, and will be satisfied, and some times don't even finish my alotted amount of protein and veggies.

I think the best thing I do for controlling my food beside not buying it, is planning my intake each morning on Fitday.com and stick to it. The food is prepared on Sundays and Wednesday, so I know what's available that will fit my new lifetsyle. I don't crave vegetables, but plump juicy fruits are appealing.

My DH still has a candy stash, but doesn't have to hide it any more. In fact, I buy it for him, and it doesn't appeal to me. If I want something chocolate, I'll have a fat-free hot chocolate or a sugar free fudgsicle, but don't do that much any more either. If I'm really desperate, I'll ask him for 2 tootsie roll midgees.

Ya just have to give it time, and learn to trust yourself.

dip
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #6  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Oh alright...I will give it time.

I have a feeling that I won't be able to eliminate sweets completely, I will just have to do the three bite rule so as not to overdo it.

What can I say? I LOVE CHOCOLATE.

Summer
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  

Hey, ladies. Sorry I've been missing for awhile. Busy, busy at the office.

I haven't read the third key yet, but Summer what you shared is scarey and reassuring. I KNEW I could gain weight just by walking by a bakery! It's so good to know I'm not crazy.

The first time I went on South Beach, I did lose my craving for sweets and lost it somewhat for carbs. I think I'll always be addicted to carbs and have to live without them from now on. Dip, I tried the thing with just a sweet occasionally, but it didn't work for me. One bite and I'm a goner. Hence, I'm starting over again!

I am pleased that I still haven't had a Coke. It will be a month on the 10th since I had one. Bottled Coke doesn't tempt me. I love fountain Cokes and could drink them all day. One thing that's making it easier is I'm being very frugal right now. The IRS is being very cooperative about letting me pay my 2002 taxes in installments. This is stuff I'm still clearing up after the divorce. In about 18 months, I'll be free and clear from my debt with them (along with being thinner and healthier!). Yippee! I don't mind making the payments. At least I feel I have control of my life and I'm dealing successfully with issues that need to be fixed.

I'm going to have to get serious about my South Beach plan. That's the plan I'm using in conjunction with Dr. Phil's book. I've been making small changes even though I haven't been faithful to the "diet." I've pretty well cut out my nighttime eating along with my Coke compulsion. Currently, I don't have any foods in my apartment that would tempt me to be "bad." This is one advantage to living alone, but it sure can get lonely at night :-(

Don't have much time, so this is short. I'll check in again as soon as I can. You women are the greatest!

Marilyn
Libra925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #8  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Marilyn, the changes you are making little by little will add up to big change.

I am proud to announce that I got my lazy butt out of bed 30 minutes earlier today to exercise for the 2nd time this week. It was raining, so I came close to going back to sleep because I couldn't walk. However, for Christmas, I bought myself a recumbent bike. So, I cycled instead. I HATE EXERCISE. That is why I am really patting myself on the back.

My eating has been pretty darn good. My class had three birthdays this week in addition to Dr. Seuss' 100th birthday celebration. I had no cake, ice cream, or candy at those parties. I was worried about what was happening to my body by just being surrounded by those things. I am just so proud that I didn't indulge.

So, I made some small steps myself. And, over time, the more of these small changes I make, will make a big change in ME too!

Summer
Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 PM   #9  

Wow! You both brought a big smile to my face as I read your posts. It all doesn't just change overnight.

Every day is a learning experience. I did something yesterday that I knew better, but didn't take steps to correct before it was too late. I didn't eat enough yesterday, and instesd of going to bed at 10PM when the night munchies started, I stayed up with DH watching a movie. When it was time to go up, I snacked on whole wheat crackers and yogurt, which wouldn't have been bad had it been earlier. I woke up this morning starving as a result, and had oatmeal with blueberries. Another no-no. Oatmeal, although part of my eating plan, like other cereals will set off a carb craving for the entire day. I erred because it was faster than cooking eggs. I ended up giving in to too many not so good carbs. I will hate myself in the morning because tomorrow AM is official weigh-in day for the week. What makes it worse is that I couldn't do any cardio today because my legs are too sore from healvy lifting yesterday.

Not the first time, probably won't be the last, but redemption comes with the next meal and another new day. Onward and downward!

dip
Old 03-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #10  

Well, today is WID for me. 1/2 of a pound lost. Not a lot, but at least it's in the right direction.

This weekend was one of the best that I've had in awhile. I think I'm coming out of the depression I've been in lately. I cleaned my kitchen and bathroom this weekend. They look as good as they did when I first moved into the apartment. This week after work I'm planning to clean my living/cutting room. A couple of months ago I stored my dining table and chairs so I could use the "eating area" of the living room to open my big cutting table. I'm sure it would have been better for changing my behavior while eating if I sat at a table, but I felt I needed an area for cutting fabrics more. Someday when I can afford a larger apartment, I'll move the table and chairs back in.

I've done something extravagant. I ordered Dr. Phil's book on CDs. I plan to listen to them while I walk. This will give me incentive to walk and motivation from the "horse's mouth" while I'm walking.

Summer and Dip, do you have any weight loss rewards planned for yourself? I plan to buy a new music CD after my first 10 lbs are gone. Only 9 1/2 lbs to go! My mother and dad gave me a mother's ring years ago. My fingers have been too fat to wear it. A short term goal is to be able to wear it by this Mother's Day. I think I'll put it on a chain and wear it around my neck to remind me of my goal.

Guess I better do some work. Have a wonderful day.

Love,
Marilyn
Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #11  

Hi Marilyn!

Gosh, that's good news, and glad to hear you're coming out of "da funk." What is it that you do with all the material cutting?

I have it on tape and listen to it while I'm on the treadmill, especially when I'm having a problem in a particular area. Also have been inspired to revisit SELF MATTERS after watching the show today. That was the book that got me started, and I think is a great companion to WLC/7.

Are we ready to start the next chapter? What cha think, Summer?

dip
Old 03-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #12  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Dip, I'm ready to move on, but I'm concerned about all of the other people who used to post on this thread. We haven't had as many postings as before, and I'm afraid that some people are stuck just like I was last time around. I would like some feedback from some others before we move on. I hate to leave anyone behind. By the same token, maybe people have just lost interest. I'm not sure what to do.

Summer
Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #13  

Well, if people are stuck or have lost interest, I wish they would take a moment and post something to that effect. I don't mind holding up discussion, but on the other hand, those who feel they've mastered the first 3 keys need to move on. I hope no one is waiting to read on further in the book because discussion has been suspended.

If anyone is stuck on the first 2 keys, it's OK to start working the other keys, and then come back to the first 2. There have been new sign-ups in the Introductions thread, but no one's posting. What's up?

dip
Old 03-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #14  

Dip, I'm a beginner quilter. You have to have a fairly large flat area to cut fabric for quilts. I know it's hard for someone who doesn't quilt to understand why a person would take perfectly good fabric, cut it up and sew it back together again. I've made three quilts so far for each of my grandchildren. I'm currently working on finishing a couple of wall hangings and have another quilt ready to piece (sew back together). I always sewed for my three daughters when they were young and I have found that I enjoy the process of making a quilt so I'm back to sewing again. It's very therapeutic for me as this is one of my creative processes. The other one is crochet. I've lost count of how many afghans I've made. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was twelve. I'm good enough at it that it's relaxing also. I like to have something to do with my hands when I watch TV or listen to music.

Marilyn
Old 03-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #15  

Hi all,

I'm sorry to be lagging behind. Please don't ever think I've lost interest--I am in this for the LONG HAUL! My whole family has been sick for the last week. I've not even been able to keep up on my day-to-day stuff (you should see my house!), let alone this forum. My cold developed into a sinus infection that has had me feeling very low for the last few days. I've wanted to seek comfort in food so badly! I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday, so hopefully I'm on the mend.

When I first approached this chapter, I thought it was going to be a slam dunk. We don't keep "junk food" in our house and for the most part we eat a really healthy diet. I don't eat beef or pork and only buy whole grain bread products, low-fat cheeses, non-fat dairy products, etc. and there are never any chips or cookies in the house. Don't get me wrong...I love some "junk" as much as the next guy (Dorito's, Reese's PB cups, pizza), but I NEVER buy these things because I know that I cannot control myself. So, anyway...you get the picture, I was feeling pretty cocky.

Then I read the chapter!

First of all, I was really surprised by how many NON-FOOD cues I have in my environment! Cooking is a passion for me (I even hope to open a restaurant someday!)--I subscribe to Bon Appetit, love to read recipe books, watch cooking shows, read recipes online, etc. I never have felt that any of these hobbies was triggering me to eat, and I'm still not sure that they ever do, but I was ALARMED to read (as Summer also quoted above):

Quote:
Thoughts about food, triggered by a cue have the power to elicit dramatic physiological reactions. Even if you don't eat a single morsel...insulin begins to do a couple of its regular jobs. For one thing, it accelerates the intake of fat into cells for storage (yes, just looking at food may make you fat!). Second, insulin reduces levels of blood sugar in your body, which it ordinarily does after you've eaten, in order to move that blood sugar into your cells for energy. This creates a state of low blood sugar that leads to hunger. (page 112)
SHEESH! I'm not willing to give these things up, but I don't want them to be affecting my health adversely. Recommendations? Wait until I'm full after a meal to do any of these things?

I also am the one in my household that plans, shops, cooks, cleans, etc. Much of my time as a housewife (is that still a dirty word? ) and mommy to a small child is spent in the planning, preparation and clean-up of food.

And as a Weight Watcher, a good chunk of my time is spent in the planning of what food I will eat and the tracking of the food I have eaten. There are also weekly meeting where we talk about--you guessed it: Food.

Not to mention this forum, Dr. Phil's book, and his WLC TV shows where the topics are FOOD, DIETING, etc.

I can't get away from FOOD!

Fast food isn't a problem for me, although I admit that once in a blue moon McD's French Fries are a treat! Thankfully, the fast food industry has been called to task in the last few years. As the media has drawn attention to the obesity epidemic in our country it has caused the major fast food chains to make changes in their menu--at long last! Has anyone seen the recent film Supersize Me? Hopefully people's attitudes and beliefs about Fast Food will continue to change--for our children's sake! I recommend the excellent book: Fast Food Nation which also shines light on this industry.

I know all too well that watching food commercials on TV can make you want to go eat. My recommendation: TIVO! It will change your life in many ways, and zipping through the commercials is one of the best!

As far as making my environment safe, I have a couple of issues with his list! I know he says of the list that we should "throw away or minimize our exposure" to the list items, so I assume that that means there is room to keep some of the items on the list if we can stay in control or have them in moderation. Namely for me the following:

Cold cuts: I know these are high in nitrates and sodium, but we purchase lean and low fat items and only eat them occassionally.

Ice Cream: We LOVE a cup of Skinny Cow Ice Cream (4 pts. for you Weight Watchers) at the end of the day. I sure hope he isn't saying we can't even have reduced fat items if we are able to stay in control of them!

Quick Fix Prepared Food: I think I remember him giving Angela **** for a Lean Cuisine entree he found in her freezer on one of the WLC shows. I know they are processed and have some chemicals in them, but again, are they not acceptable on occasion? MY DH likes to take them to work for lunch.

Syrups, jams & jellies: I like 2T of reduced calorie syrup on my occasional nutri-grain waffle, and occasionally like a little jam on toast. These are hardly issue foods for me--I'm not a sweet tooth--must they go?

High fat spreads, peanut butter, and dips: Again, if used in moderation, and counted on my plan (Weight Watchers) counted, these should be OK, right? I HATE FF salad dressing, so I use a small amount of quality dressing and count it on my plan. I also buy natural organic peanut butter and am able to stay in control.

Alcoholic beverages: I like an occasional glass of wine or a light beer. If used in moderation this is surely acceptable?

Your thoughts? Any items on his list that you have a hard time giving up?

I am in the process of doing a closet cleanup. I don't have any clothes that are "too big" yet (although I'm getting there!), but I do have ugly clothes that I will never (or should never!) wear again. As I mentioned before, I have a hard time "letting go" so this is a very good exercise for me, and one that needs to be repeated on a monthly basis!

Summer, your milk rant cracked me up! I happen to LOVE ice cold skim milk, which my husband calls with disdain, "white water!"

Congrats on the WI, Marilyn! Good for you for planning non-food rewards!

Thank you all for listening, sharing and inspiring!

Jo
------
205.2/191/135

If you fell down yesterday, stand up today. --H.G. Wells
Jo_Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote