Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1  
Keto Warrior

S/C/G: 196/165/150

Height: 5'7"

Default 48hr fast for autophagy

Hi everyone,
Kfunk and I have started this thread as we are attempting a 48 hour water fast to kickstart the process of autophagy and avoid loose skin as we lose weight.

Anyone interested can google autophagy and loose skin. The basic premise is this: After a certain amount of time fasting the body hunts for unused and damaged proteins that it can break down into amino acids and use to sustain itself during the fast. Loose skin counts as unused damaged protein. This means that potentially your body will consume its loose skin during the fast. My own conclusion from the research I've done is that 2-5 days is the sweet spot for autophagy - longer doesn't necessarily mean better... but avoiding all food is necessary. Less than 3g of protein will stop autophagy.

So kfunk I am currently making my last dinner for 2 days!! Butter baked chicken and cauliflower cheese...oh boy I am going to miss food.

Although anyone is welcome to join us I would like to stress that this is not intended to be a competitive thread in any way, nor is it intended to advocate long periods of fasting. Please take into account your own physical and mental state before attempting a fast. We are not offering medical advice or making any judgements on this thread - just support.
MrsMcsMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

I am very intrigued, I have read a lot about IF and some of the science behind it is, IMHO, really solid. I too have read that people who fast regularly do not have problems with lose skin. For myself, I have not fasted for longer than 36 hours, as I am still breastfeeding my toddler. But I definitely want to try longer fasts once I switch my baby to normal milk, which should be around January next year. So I''ll be watching you!

BTW I didn't find my 36 hours fasts any harder than 24 hours. It really depends on how you eat before that - fasting is super easy if you're already on keto, or at least on a very low carb diet. Fingers crossed for you, I think it very likely once you get over 48 hours, you will want to make your fast even a little longer!
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #3  
Keto Warrior

Hi ronja, I am eating keto so hoping this will be a smooth transition. I also do intermittent fasting but never longer than about 22 hours so this is a first for me...
I've finished my dinner now so the clock has officially started! In terms of loose skin I'm pretty ok apart from my mommy pouch from carrying my massive babies I really don't want that to end up sagging and baggy and I am also a strong believer in the science behind autophagy so I have everything crossed...
Btw, I am also breastfeeding but my 'baby' turned 3 yesterday and only has milk first thing in the morning and last thing at night so I don't think it'll be a big deal for me. I will monitor my milk though and let you know.

Last edited by MrsMcsMuffins; 09-11-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add about breastfeeding
Old 09-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Interesting. I had not heard of this and will have to research it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #5  
Ahhhhh

S/C/G: 222/151/145

Height: 5'5"

Good luck MrsMcsMuffins!!! Please tell us how the method works for your skin. I am really curious. I've been looking for a solution for my lose skin that costs no money but I may be too big a wuss to try fasting.

BTW: My "baby" just turned 15 last month! He started at 10.0lbs.
BigFatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcsMuffins View Post
Btw, I am also breastfeeding but my 'baby' turned 3 yesterday and only has milk first thing in the morning and last thing at night so I don't think it'll be a big deal for me. I will monitor my milk though and let you know.
Wow, congratulations on breastfeeding for so long, it's quite rare! My baby isn't a baby either, she will be 2 in January so perhaps I shouldn't be worried either, but I did notice my supply to drop a little when I'm fasting...hence why I never ventured to make my fasts longer.

I will be happy to follow your fast, if you feel like sharing any thoughts and feelings, it will be very interesting for me. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #7  

Also, I don't even want to go into describing my mommy pouch. Two set of twins, need I say more? I just try not looking down there very often
Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #8  
Keto Warrior

Thanks ronja, I'm just a hippy mommy at heart I can't believe I'm admitting this but I actually took photographic evidence of my mommy pouch about an hour ago!! I'm hoping to take another at the end of the fast and monitor for improvements...and share the pics if I'm feeling brave...
Eagleriverdee - definitely look into it if you're curious. I have a biochemistry background and can't overstate how much sense autophagy makes from my perspective. Lots of people describe scarring and skin tags disappearing on these fasts (fingers crossed for stretch marks please God!)
BigFatMomma - I hear ya, the thought of being foodless for days is not pleasant...but it is completely free!!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #9  

MrsMcsMuffins we seem to have a lot in common, re being a hippie mother as well as having some scientific background, though mine is more biological than chemical. Must be why this whole thing makes sense to us. Congratulations on being brave enough to take "before" pictures. Are you expecting visible differences after 48 hours of fasting?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #10  
Keto Warrior

A fellow hippy/science nerd Hooray!! There's not enough of us about you know...
I don't think I'll see much of a difference after 48 hours; however, I want the before and after pics as I intend on doing this regularly. So hopefully I'll see a good change over time. I'm thinking once every fortnight but will adjust it dependng on how things go and how I feel afterwards.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/164,2/140

Height: 5'4

mrsmcsmuffins, thank you for starting the thread!! I am eating dinner as I type this. Where are you from? I noticed you had dinner hours ago!

I hope to make it to breakfast on Thursday morning as well, but its nice to have a fall back plan in place if that happens! I once did the Master Cleanse for 25 days, my only cheat was gum. Since I started my journey I have done a couple 30 hour water fasts and it was so hard!! I really hope that having you as a buddy makes it easier!
kfunk6113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #12  

muffins and ronja can you guys give me examples of the foods you eat while you do keto? I wonder about the sugars in fruit and what other foods are off limits when it comes to meat and dairy. I have heard very good things! I already cut out wheat so that wouldn't be a problem. I am guessing you cant have peanut butter? Its nice to see real life examples instead of what I can find on the internet!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 AM   #13  
Keto Warrior

Hi buddy
I'm in the UK (and just getting up for work - boo) but regardless of the time difference I'll be here to cheer us on.
As for keto yes it does put the brakes on fruit a lot. I only eat berries now. I think that fruit tends to get a lot of good press that it doesn't deserve. Fruit is basically nature's candy, it was designed to be sweet and make us eat more and more of it, and that is a problem for me with fruit, I could quite happily plough through a punnet of peaches in one sitting. It's far far better to get vitamins and minerals from vegetables and avoid all that sugar.
I eat plenty of butter, I fry foods in homemade clarified butter. I pile butter on top of my vegetables (this has actually been shown to increase the vitamins you absorb from veg too). I drink coffee with heavy whipping cream instead of milk (milk's no good on keto - I will have a tsp of milk in a cup of tea but that's my limit). I also count 'net carbs' not carbs so that means I subtract the fibre from a food's carb content as you don't digest fibre. I stay under 40g of net carbs a day but I'm usually naturally under 30g anyway.
A typical day of eating for me would be:
Coffee, no sugar but 2 tbsp heavy cream
2 fried eggs and 2 strips of bacon
A big salad dresses in olive oil and red wine vinegar with a protein like chicken or whatever is leftover from dinner the night before (cheeseburger salad is delish!)
Steak or another meat of choice served with plenty of vegetables covered in butter or gratin'ed, baked in butter, cream and cheese - yum.
3 squares of 85% dark chocolate (not strictly keto as does contain sugar but acceptable in small amounts). I like Moser Roth 85% dark from Aldi, only 4.6g of carbs per 25g of chocolate but that's before I subtract the fibre so it's actually less
Btw - yes you can have peanut butter! Yay. I love PB. You can get some great versions made without sugar or make your own. Roast some salted peanuts gently until golden then blend in a food processer intil you get PB. There's some good youtube videos of it.

Last edited by MrsMcsMuffins; 09-12-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Adding peanut butter info
Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #14  

Good morning!!! Its 7:45 am my time, I just got to work. I am in MN in the US.

I woke up with a grumbly tummy, and am missing my coffee!!!! I am drinking some plain green tea now for a little caffeine boost (I hope that is okay!)

You have been up for quite a while now, how are you holding up?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #15  

Thank you for the Keto ideas!! My favorite treat lately is frozen green grapes, they would be difficult to give up! Besides grapes and strawberries, I don't eat very much fruit. I love steak and other meats!! For sugar... do you have a range where you aim to stay under? I think that would be the hardest part, I fear that there is sugar hidden in pretty much everything!

I am pretty good with carbs as it is now, but I am sure I eat plenty of carbs that are in vegetables. And also my coffee creamer, gluten free toast have some, but I think that the toast would be really easy for me to cut out.

How long have you been doing Keto for? Do you think you will keep going with it after you meet your weight loss goal?