Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile August 2017 Ups & Downs Support Thread

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group! This is our August 2017 thread. We start a new thread each month to keep things organized. Everyone is welcome to join the group! Please go ahead and post and tell us a little or a lot about yourself. We are a small but supportive group, and we welcome you right where you are in your weight loss and life journey.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #2  

Thanks for the new thread Kathleen

lisa I'm really sorry you're not doing so great right now. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Holly hope you enjoyed the rest of your day off!

____

I'm still doing ok with my new diet, I dropped 2 lbs, but then we had to go away over the weekend for a wedding and the scales shot up 5lbs. I'm now 4lbs heavier than when I started I think I need a bit more fibre in my diet - I worked out I'd had about 6g today, but they daily guideline is 24g. I'm going to start taking a supplement and see if it helps me lose a few.
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187

Height: 5'7"

Default It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

I've heard this expression many times before, and I never really got it until recently. Now I know that this is what I need to do.

With that being said, my original title for this post was going to be "Failure." I learned something as I was counting my calories last week. At this point in my life - in my current mindset - I cannot successfully stick to an eating plan for more than 4 days. I binge. I have really been digging deep and hoping that some insight would help me change.

But that hasn't happened. While it's disappointing, I am not falling into a pit of despair and self-loathing. That never gets me anywhere but the bottom of a bag of chips.

I don't know when or where my "ah ha" moment occurred except that I know it did. I will be focusing on my mental marathon until I figure out more to say.

I welcome any thoughts on the topic. What has helped you overcome the sprinting mentality? I would love to hear your experience.

Until then, enjoy the coffee
ThinkAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 AM   #4  
I can do it!!!

Talking Home Sweet Home!

Well, I had a long post about the wonderful time I had in Ireland, but I stepped away from it for awhile and then came back and finished my post way later, but when I went to submit it, my time had expired and I lost my post. Oh well, just know that I am back safe and sound, and I will try to catch up on what is going on with everyone as soon as possible. One of the best parts of my vacation, along with the beautiful Irish countryside and spending time with my parents and family there, was that my son joined in with all of the daily outings and evenings in the pubs! It was awesome!!! He loves Ireland like I do and it really brought him out of his shell. We are hoping and praying that maybe this will be the start of him joining in with the family more at home now.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

thank you Kathleen for starting the August thread!

welcome back Kathleen !! I'm SO glad you had a wonderful time!! AND that your son joined in, that is so very great and we can tell how happy it made you and hopefully the socializing will continue. Hugs to you girl!!

ThinkAgain I *wish* I could give you input but I also have the sprinting mentality I want it now!! maybe what helps me, is thinking of each day being a success, instead of focusing on an end number on the scale, or clothing size, I dunno. I've been at this for over 40 years and still don't have it figured out, lol.

Coop, oh how disappointing at what the scale is showing you. I bet changes are happening inside you though that you can't measure yet. Just the fact that you are focused on the gluten free way is a huge change . Keep on keepin' on!

Lisa, We want so much for you to feel better !!! NO pressure about showing up here but do know that you are missed, girl!!

My husband has lost 20 pounds! good for him! and I am hovering at the 19 lost mark I have to say those diet pills worked VERY well. I only had a 30 day prescription, and I've been without them for about 2 weeks now, and boy the hunger is a roaring monster in the afternoon/evenings, but I'm hanging in there. I NEED to get back to exercising, i did not do a single workout all July!

There was a BAT in the house last night!! They are wonderful creatures for eating millions of mosquitoes, and something called White Nose Syndrome has decimnated about 90% of them..so glad there is at least one healthy one but not in my house please!!! i spent the night in the bedroom with the dog with teh door closed..this morning crept downstairs and yeah it was flying around the living room still!! i got Eddie on the leash, propped open front door, and Eddie and I stayed outside for as long as I could (before coffee!!) then came back in, and it seems to be gone, Whew!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #6  
ready to succeed

S/C/G: 251/257/160

Height: 5'6"

Glad I found this thread, as I feel like I'm bringing down the 240's thread. I have bi-polar, PTSD, and anxiety. I'm on mood stabilizers that seem to really help, but for about a month I was on phentermine, which kick my depression into overload. I wouldn't leave my bed unless it was for work. I binged and convinced my DH to order out. I finally talked with my doctor and told her I just cannot handle the side effects of that med. I'm trying to break out of the isolating and give myself one social goal a day. Today it was texting back a few of my friends. Done and Done!
FatDoesntDefineMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #7  

Hi ladies,

I'm ok, kinda. I'm just soooo ****ing tired of waiting for this whole estate thing to be settled. I'm tired of say, "just be patient, just be patient," I'm so ****ing tired of waiting. It's been 14 months, yes the house is sold, but still waiting for the red tape. I'm ****ing frustrated, I'm ****ing angry.

Thanks for starting the thread, Kathleen.
lisaloveshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #8  

My emotions are all over the place today.

Serious ***** mode, the next minute I'm crying over a song on the radio.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #9  

Lisa it sounds like you're having a really awful time just now, please let us know if there is anything we can do. What's holding up your mom's estate? I hope it's fixed soon. How is your kitten settling?

Kathleen I'm glad you had a good time in Ireland, and that your son joined you in the pub so often. Fantastic if he continues at home

Holly I'm impressed with your hubby's weight loss. Not fair how men lose weight so easily! But it must be helping his diabetes. How the heck did that bat get it?!? I really hope it's gone. I remember having bars in our school, and they drink the place out - hope you're not too smelly!

Thinkagain I know how difficult it can be with a new diet, you're right that it's a marathon though, and the best thing is to build in good choices gradually. Make sure you allow yourself occasional treats - deprivation might be fuelling your binges (it does for me!)

Last edited by Coop27; 08-04-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #10  

I'm considering seeing a nutritionist. It will be pricey, but I think because we're making a big lifestyle change, it will be worth speaking to someone and I need to work out why I'm gaining weight.

I ate fairly well this week, but I really need to get to the gym again - I've not been in ages.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #11  

Hi Coop,

The house is sold. Red tape is holding up the dispersion of checks. This waiting is a *****.

I am struggling, I'm pissed and frustrated. The past 14 months have been awful.

I'm sorry I have not added to the thread at all.

Last edited by lisaloveshearts; 08-05-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #12  

lisa I totally sympathise! Dealing with someone's estate is frustrating - it took 12 months for my OH's dad's house to be signed over to him (and he's sole heir). The wait is like rubbing salt in a wound. I hope it gets sorted quickly for you.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #13  
art savvy southpaw

S/C/G: 220/204/175

Height: 5'10"

Glad I found this post. I am in my 50's and live in Ohio. I have ptsd and bipolar disorder and have been in treatment for decades. I am on full disability and sometimes I have been able to work part time, my last part time job was seasonal at a craft store and I worked there for six months. I am currently looking for work and I have an appointment on Thursday with a great agency called Dress For Success. They provide you with nice clothes for interviewing and working as well. They also provide all kinds of help such as resume writing, job coaching, etc. I will know more once I go there.

For many years I had more of an issue with anxiety, hypomania and full blown mania but since I hit menopause I have been through some long periods of clinical depression and a tendency to isolate. I saw my pdoc this week and he lowered my Seroquel and added Zoloft....I have to be very careful with taking anti-depressants as in the past they tend to make me cycle to up and quickly.

Soooo, also this week I plan to go re-establish as a member of a local mental health center that is run like a school with a wide range of classes. I want to attend a class teaching American Sign Language and perhaps another class in some form of exercise. Also I plan to go to a local food pantry as this really helps me since I don't receive any type of extra benefits because I receive full ssdi. I don't own a car so I use the bus and sometimes I overthink the pain in the butt this is and get anxiety over getting from point A to B and C and back again lol Going back the center will help me to be more active and social. I hope you all have a great week!
HydraWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #14  
I can do it!!!

Smile

Coop: That must be so frustrating to be eating so much healthier and still see the scale go up. I agree with Holly (VermontMom), though, that changes are most likely occurring on the inside at this point that will help you down the road. Keep at it! Your efforts are bound to pay off sooner or later!

Lisa: So sorry that you are having such a rough and crappy time right now. Not fair for someone as nice as you! I sure hope and pray that everything will get settled with your mom's estate soon and that you will get your check ASAP!!! Any new developments with your moving plans? Something to look forward to! Sending big hugs!

Holly: YIKES!!! Can't believe you had a bat in your house!!! Glad you and Eddie got the heck out of there as soon as you could! Hope it's really gone for good! My parents had a bat at their lake house awhile back and it paid a visit to me in the middle of the night once. Scared the **** out of me!!! I literally dove on the floor when it flew above my head! Yes, I can laugh now, but ~ trust me ~ I was NOT laughing then!

That is awesome that your hubby has lost 20 pounds already! He is taking his health seriously, which is great. I hope he gets the diabetes under control quickly. Sounds like he is well on his way. And 19 pounds lost for you is awesome, too... especially if you haven't been working out!!! You go girl!!! I seriously want some of those weight loss pills!

ThinkAgain: I overcame the sprinting mentality after gaining a significant amount of weight on a medication (Zyprexa) for bipolar many years ago. Even though I gained the weight very rapidly over a six month period of time, it became obvious to me very quickly that the weight was not going to come off overnight. In fact, it didn't budge for years. So I really didn't have a choice but to accept that this whole weight loss thing is a marathon and not a sprint. It is still a hard pill for me to swallow (and I am still working to get some of that dreadful weight off), but the more I can accept this fact, the easier it is to take ONE day and ONE meal and ONE workout at a time, which makes things much more manageable for me. I get so easily overwhelmed if I think about how much weight I need or want to lose all at once. It stifles me rather than motivates me. I have to break it down into smaller chunks of doable things. With me, much of the battle is in my mind. It is a constant challenge for me to get my mind and body and eating and workouts all in sync. But we are all here to inspire each other and cheer each other on toward our goals, which helps!

FatDoesntDefineMe: to the group! Glad you posted. I am also bipolar, with PTSD and anxiety, so hello my kindred spirit! That is good that you talked with your doctor about the side effects of the phentermine. Sounds like it's not the right med for you. Good idea to give yourself one social goal a day to help you break out of your isolation. Come here as often as you want and vent. We are here to support you as best we can! And, you are right: Fat does NOT define you!

HydraWoman: to the group! I also have bipolar disorder and PTSD and live in Ohio (and I'm 50), so we have those things in common. Wishing you the best of luck in your many endeavors. I hope the Zoloft will help. You sure sound like you are working hard to improve yourself and your situation. That is awesome! Please let us know how everything goes. Glad you posted!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 08-07-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #15  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

FatDoesn'tDefineMe and HydraWoman! we are happy to have you join us!!

Lisa I am so sorry you are feeling so frustrated and crappy we will be right here for you supporting you and giving you long-distance

Coop, best wishes with meeting with a nutritionist, hopefully he/she can guide you and OH .

ThinkAgain I have been enjoying your introspective posts!

Kathleen so good to have you back here after your trip Oh jeez, the bat episode you described sounded just like me! AND the critter had actually NOT left the house, he hid somewhere and came out again that evening when husband and I were sitting in living room but we were able to catch and release him , whew!!

Been riding much more lately and that is wonderful. Been getting almost daily comps on my loss from a co-worker and gawd, that is nice!!

Our Toy Run is this Saturday..I have coordinated with law enforcement in 4 counties and our State capital for traffic control, paid for the comfort stations, coordinated with the Shriners, food truck, Red Knights MC for parking, spoke to President of a national MC club (Iron Order) who is coming with 100 riders, tried to get our Governor again but he is scheduled somewhere else, and just have to pray for good weather this Saturday!

Last edited by VermontMom; 08-10-2017 at 06:50 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote