Old 04-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default looking for a BLE support group/team/person

(This is pretty much a cross-post - not sure if that is against forum rules or not)

I used to be an avid poster here some years ago, especially in this particular sub-forum. I managed to lose 180 pounds over the course of 2 years (YAY) I managed to gain back 90 of it over the last 6 years (BOO). You can read about my initial journey in my signature if you are interested. I just got super sad changing my avatar from a 185 pound chick to the 90 pound chick and updating my signature just now. But this post is not about that.

I am looking to form a small support group of folk who want to give an honest go at the Bright Line Eating mentality. This is how I lost my weight in the first place, although at the time there wasn't a program that I was following, I just went with what felt right. As it turns out, all these years later I found out that there is a psychologist who has coined the term 'Bright Line Eating' and is creating fantastic, science-backed content that supports what I already know works for me.

If you don't know what Bright Line Eating is, there are 4 free videos that sum it up amazingly and a book you can buy on Amazon or wherever. A super dumbed down 1 sentence explanation is: setting very specific, very firm lines that you just don't cross in order to change your mentality towards food. The author also has a (too expensive for me) boot camp that you can sign up for, but she says it is not necessary as all the info is available in the videos and book. The reason I am here looking for interested parties to form our own support circle is because from what I can tell, that is a big component of the boot-camp and is what I will be missing out by not joining it.

If there a few of you out there who want to commit to helping one another specifically with these eating ideals in mind, lets figure out what kind of support we can lend each other? It doesn't matter how much or how little you want to lose.

Here is the link to the page: https://brightlineeating.com/what-is-ble/ Take the quiz (from the home page) and see where you are on the food susceptibility quiz (I am the highest at a 10 ... sad, but not at all surprising). As a heads-up, I have gotten 4 emails in the last 2 days after taking the quiz because she is trying to sell boot-camp tickets which just opened. I personally don't mind these emails because I am determined to make eating changes.

One nice thing with this, by the way, is that it doesn't tell you what to eat. You can follow whichever diet you already follow. For example, I am Whole Foods Plant Based and it will work for me just as it will work for a meat eater, or a gluten-free person, or keto etc.

Even if there is only 1 person who is interested, I really want to talk to you! I feel like having someone to talk to who is on the same path will be so important to long-term success. I searched the forums already and I didn't find any posts about BLE ( the book just came out this month; the first boot-camp was only a year ago so I think this is a really new concept), but I hope that someone might take a look and see if you want to give it a go, too.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/221/145

Height: 5'5

I would love a weightloss buddy! I am 231lbs heading for 145lbs this year! I am a calorie counter I just stay 1300ish to1650 max calories per day.
BethMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 99.2 kg/96.9 kg/80 kg

Height: 1.77 m

Hi Pacifica Bee,

I came across BLE a couple of weeks ago and read the book, started the process and it feels RIGHT, and mostly doable.
Are you still looking for a buddy/support group? I'd love to be part of it.
Austrian_Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #4  

Yes! I would love to be your BLE buddy I'll send you a PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello,

I started by watching some of the videos and what she says really hit home with me. I just read the book and am slowly incorporating her methods. I started with sugar and have had 18 days with no sugar. This is a huge accomplishment for me. I feel so much better and in control. Visits to Tim Horton's were becoming a daily thing. My food susceptibility is 10 and I eat under stress. I have tried so many things and manage to lose 10-20, then gain it all back. I have been doing this for years.

I would be really interested in hearing about other peoples experiences with this way of eating. Best of luck to everyone.
CeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post

I would be really interested in hearing about other peoples experiences with this way of eating. Best of luck to everyone.
Hi CeeJay!

I am so glad you found BLE. It has been making an immeasurable positive difference in my life. I feel like I have found the thing that is going to help me keep my head on straight for the rest of my life when it comes to my food addiction.

I also have watched the videos and read the book (I have not done the boot camp or the 2-week quick start, but I am considering it) and I am also a 10.
I currently have 1 person that I keep in daily contact with that is also on the BLE train. We leave messages for each other with our thoughts and checking in on how we are doing. Let me know if you are looking for something like that and I can share the info on where we are 'meeting' up.

HUGE congrats on being sugar free!! That is a tough road. I went sugar free 6 years ago and I don't miss sugar at all so I am here to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT. My current struggle is in giving up the fake sweeteners which I only have been doing since finding BLE 7-ish weeks ago. I am having a way harder struggle with those than I ever did with the real sugar =( If you can do both at once, I say: go for it!! I wish I had done both and now I just have to deal.

Please keep us in the loop on how you are doing

~PB
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #7  

Hi Pacifica Bee:

Thanks for writing back. I have now been sugar free for 25 days and I feel very empowered and much better physically and emotionally. It is great to hear you have been sugar free 6 years and lived to tell about it.
I am also working on my diet pepsi habit and have cut back drastically to about 2 a week instead of 2 a day.

I am going on a short holiday this week and intend to tackle flour next. I think that is going to be more challenging for me but my success so far with sugar is giving me some hope I can do it. I absolutely know that I am never going to be able to lose weight until I do something about flour consumption.

How are you and your BLE partner doing? I would like to be in touch with you but know that I never manage to post daily- I travel around a bit with work and it's hard to check in every day.

Take care!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #8  

CeeJay, congrats on being almost a month sugar-free! That is awesome! I remember there was a point where I almost threw in the towel maybe 2 months in. But once I got over that hump where I just had to keep having stern conversations with myself, I never looked back. It is very freeing! Being sugar-free will also really help with kicking flour. If you aren't having sugar, then you aren't having cakes, cookies, or pastries either.

Flour (bread) is my drug. I kicked flour for 2 years back when I first lost weight in 2010. It was amazingly freeing. But then I started sliding back because the call of sourdough is strong, and this was before I knew about BLE so I had no support or structure behind what I was doing. I know that if I didn't start eating flour again I wouldn't have started overeating in general or eating things I shouldn't be eating in the first place, like gobs of butter on said bread. Flour was and is the hardest thing for me to give up. I want it so bad. I can smell someone eating a sandwich in my office from 3 doors down. It is ridiculous. I have to constantly remind myself that as scrumptious as it is, bread messes with my brain and I just can't do it, so I won't do it. As Susan Pierce Thompson would say, that is Not My Food.

Talk soon!

Last edited by Pacifica Bee; 08-28-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #9  
~Kim~

Interesting! I just went to the website and read the What is BLE page. I'll have to check out more information when I have more time but so far the impression I'm getting is that it's more about psychology and your mind set than an actual diet. Yes? No?

I've been Keto since March 26th. At least for the most part. I have been strict Keto since May 14, but prior to that I did go off script a few times. I still have days were I'm very tempted by carbs. If this is a way to combat the addiction in a more productive way than just biting my tongue and not stealing a bit of my daughter's ice cream or cookie, I'm game to learn about it.

Going to research some more. Thanks for intruding to 3FC.

Last edited by TooManyDimples; 06-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #10  

Hi TMD,

Yes, BLE is attitude and lifestyle adjustments. There is a recommended food plan to follow that you can follow on almost any diet you are already on (for example I am Whole Food, Plant Based and it works for me, but it would work for non-vegans as well). I am not sure that keto would work unless you are also calorie counting - but since I wasn't following BLE when I went through my Keto phase, I can't really address that for you.

For me personally, I follow BLE strictly for the psychology and science that is addressed. My food plan is actually more restrictive than what is outlined in the book. My intention is to stay this strict during my weight loss phase, and then move into her food plan when it is maintenance time.

And, side note as an idea as to how powerful her words are for me: I rebooted my diet at the start of this year. I lost 5ish pounds between Feb-mid March. I read the book and started watching her videos March 15, and I have lost over 26 pounds since then (9 weeks), without changing my diet plan, just using her strategies to overcome overeating and cheating on said plan.

Let me know if you have questions! I am happy to share with you what my personal experience has been.

Last edited by Pacifica Bee; 06-19-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #11  

Hi everyone,

Pacifica Bee- I did send email re reddit group. Thanks for that offer! I have never used reddit so let me know if there is anything else I need to do (I did verify email).

For me, I am on day 40 with no sugar and day 9 with no flour. I am so proud of this accomplishment and I feel so much better. I think part of the feeling better is just knowing I set out to do this and am doing it. I bail far too often on my goals. I have not lost any weight (but have not gained either). I expected that and accept it because although I am eating really healthy food I am eating too many calories to lose. But that is OK. Once I feel really solid in managing sugar and flour, my next goal will be to work on 3 meals and no snacks. Once I have that under control I will work on being vigilant about weighing and measuring and then I expect weight loss to begin. I am really happy with this plan because so far it is doable. I am not missing sugar at all. I am amazed at how sweet fruit tastes now. I have more energy. I am not constantly thinking about food. So that is progress!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
Hi everyone,

Pacifica Bee- I did send email re reddit group. Thanks for that offer! I have never used reddit so let me know if there is anything else I need to do (I did verify email).
I added you and sent you a quick message over at reddit. So glad to have you! It sounds like you are jumping right in to BLE - HOORAY!!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Hi! That is the approach I am trying as well. I am not planning on doing the Boot Camp but did buy the book and the 14 day challenge (in progress) and did make one change by moving a dinner vegetable to breakfast and the breakfast fruit to dinner but I thought it through and the dinner fruit will be lower sugar (like berries) on my salad with cooked veggies at lunch (I telecommute, this works). I have 110lbs to lose. I also evaluated the food choices and said corn=vegetable? No - nutritionally it is a grain and I am really cutting dairy and some other things like that. ..I honestly don't know if that is ok but thought through recipes and nutrients and this seems to be very balanced this way and it does not add or delete any ingredients or even the ratios.

It is strange first 7 days and 7lbs dropped* then day 8 a summer cold went into a nasty sinus infection requiring antibiotics and I simply could not eat and I did not violate any foods but darned if my weight did not go up 2lbs. Back on track tomorrow am with the food plan completed and a grocery list for tomorrow night.

I have never done Reddit but I will sign up and try that to if it is ok. T I just joined reddit and will send the request. I am grannynancy there, too. I am also here on 100+ having just joined today

*and I realize that rapid first few days drop is typical and then it meters down - probably water and some glycogen

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-01-2017 at 09:27 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have never done Reddit but I will sign up and try that to if it is ok. T I just joined reddit and will send the request. I am grannynancy there, too. I am also here on 100+ having just joined today
I just sent you a message on Reddit and approved your request to join
Old 08-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #15  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

Very interested in the concept/ I am doing KETO and following Dr Judith Beck. Similar I think.
I am looking for an accountability partner/group.
Lost 29lbs in under 2 months. under 30 grams carbs per day/no bread, pasta rice / no below ground veg (carrots, potatoes etc)
anniemaxx
anniemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote