Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Joseph Priestley discovers oxygen (1774, Wiltshire, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, allowed a pleasant stop at the local hardware store to buy a specialty light bulb. Our basement is full of light bulbs bought on sale at one time or another; only a bulb like a bathroom heat lamp needs a trip to the store. I looked to see if there was popcorn - a staple of this store on weekends. Fortunately, Monday is not a weekend so I didn't wander off plan for a random Desire. It annoys me that the feeling was triggered by the front door of the store. D*rn Pavlov.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with, one more time, a long dinner on the patio enjoying the evening. The excitement of the day was negotiating with the plumber to deliver the dishwasher "between 10 and 1." That means that both my morning and afternoon have to be kept open. Waiting for the plumber is the proper job for the butler. This household needs to get its act together.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for resolving the donut issue. Hope you had a joyous evening with the 2 year old DGN.

maryann - Yay for allowing "puttering possibilities" on your agenda.

nationalparker – Kudos for "Wrap this month up and send it on its way." Forward is the way to go.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the 'moderator' vs. 'abstainer' discussion. I've made choices of each without thinking about it. Ouch for the heat so early in the morning.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - You can make a fortune with your Dietitian Weight Loss Plan - just keep a regularly cancelled appointment set for the next month, LOL. Let us know how to approach minimalist living - I'm a long way off.

ennay - That's been a tough year. Kudos for getting back on track including light duty exercise.

anniemaxx - Yay for Beck Strategies working.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat
beyond hunger

Many people who struggle to lose weight think they're hungry when they're not.

There are differences between hunger and other sensations that masquerade as hunger. The Beck Diet Solution shows you how to differentiate between the triggers described below so that you can make appropriate decisions about eating.
Hunger: You experience an empty sensation in your stomach, which is often accompanied by stomach rumblings.
Thirst: You feel a dry sensation in your mouth when you have a need to take in liquid.
Desire: You want to eat because of another trigger (frequently environmental), even if you've just eaten.
Cravings: You have a strong urge to eat a certain kind of food, which is accompanied by tension and an unpleasant yearning sensation in your mouth, throat, or body.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 30.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! I have been back for a few days but very tired and catching up with all the laundry, work etc. We had a great time, I’m so glad we went, and so glad DH was healthy enough to go. We would have seen more if we didn’t have the kids with us, but I’m glad they got to experience a different country. A little too much family time�� so good to be back home.

I really enjoyed the Cotswolds: such beautiful architecture everywhere! We managed to get around with using a bus one day and hiring a tour guide another day. Our b and b was GREAT- lots of space, great breakfast and lovely owner. I joked that it would all go downhill from there and its true, I’ve never stayed at such a nice place. The b and bs have upped their game from years ago.
I wish we had stayed there longer, and now I wish we had gone to the Bath region, but you can’t do everything! I’ll put some more bits in the coming days ahead about the trip.
One thing I found cool- the pigeons had a very rhythmic song to their cooing, much different than ours. It was always the same intonations etc. We were watching a Midsomer Murder (British tv show) the other day and heard that same cooing on it- I wouldn’t have caught that before!

I was also struck by how fast they drove, and didn’t stop for pedestrians, even in the country. So glad we didn’t try to drive!
I think I’ve finally caught up reading all the posts and will resume personals soon! Good to be back and get back on track.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #4  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

BBE Great post. I wrote the quote in my planner.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Morning! Mostly posting to subscribe BBL
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

Height: 5'7"

I've been having some cravings for bbq chips lately, over the past four days or so. They come and go, but to give myself credit, I have realized that they are cravings and have not had any. I know if I do that I will feel horrible about myself afterward. If I could buy a single serving bag, that would be different, but no such luck. Still off exercise due to mosquito bites. I will try tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

PHone check in. Credit for exercise of three hours of garage cleaning. Blick!!!!!! How did it get so bad when I did some two months ago. What a feeling to take a shower!
Packed up 25 years of my favorite middle school curriculum and shipped it to Virginia to my friend who will have her first 5th grade classroom. So glad I found it a good home. It also feels good to close that chapter of my life knowing I will not be returning again. On with second year of high school.

I am again grateful for my strong ability to let go of things. I know others really struggle. I need to apply that talent to the last of my weight.

Weight it only three pounds up from ticker. OP yesterday and today. It feels great to string a few days together.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

sencha have you tried the benadryl cream for the bites? I find it works better than oral antihistamines without the side effects.

BBEhah - I need a butler too. I have a UPS pickup that needs to be signed for. It could be any time in then next 3 days.

curlyjax, maryann, nationalparker, karenrn, gardenerjoy so ggod to see you still here and working it

credits - have a major heatwave moving in, it rarely gets above 85 here, so 107 is kind of scary hot here. Got all the indoor cooking done for the week before work today so that all that will have to be done is some grilling. Planning on doing all the grilling tonight when it is a mere 100 and then having it all cold or rewarmed in the micro.

hunger - my biggest issue with hunger is digestive issues. For me nausea and hunger feel so similar. Sometimes I think I am hungry when I am really just not feeling well.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan and my goal for August is no beer. I really would like to lose a few pounds and I know eliminating beer is a good way to start. The rest of my diet is already pretty darn good. Exercise today was a dog walk, yoga and some weight machines at the Y. I'm wanting to do a little extra work on upper body cause I would love to be able to do a pull up. I know this will not be easy for me and may never happen, but I'm going to try.

Otis was pretty lazy all day and now the batteries are on full power. Dh just left for a walk in the 100 degree weather. There is a large grassy area off the green belt behind us where he goes and doesn't have to worry about the temperature of the concrete on Otis's paws. Let's hope it wears him out a bit.

I'll leave it at that today and plan on personals tomorrow.

Karen
Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - George Eliot begins Middlemarch (1869, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just another evening on the patio to finish an on-plan eating day, CREDIT moi. DW offered mango for dessert but I made us wait until it was absolutely dark because just sitting outside was so nice. We had 'sustainable' swordfish - so declared by Whole Foods who produce labels stating such. I'd be much happier if I fully believed it.

Major accomplishment is that the dishwasher is installed. I provided a pry-bar and hammer so that mods to the under counter area could happen. CREDIT moi for standing over the plumbers until everything was finished correctly. The Maytag User's Guide is adamant, over and over, that rinse aid is required for really clean dishes. We're so old fashioned that we've never used it. If you ever dine with us, expect imperfectly clear glassware, LOL. They also taut the packaged detergent rather than pouring in detergent from the box. Since it costs twice as much, it must be twice as powerful, he said sarcastically.

maryann - Super Kudos for finding a home for your middle-school curriculum materials.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for striving for a pullup. It's a comforting thought to know that you can pull yourself out of a hole or up into a rescue helicopter.

curlyjax - Yay for a good vacation especially letting the kids get a taste of another country.

ennay - Shuddering at "a mere 100" - Kudos for planning ahead with that cooking. [A neighbor is forever grateful that I signed for a case of wine when they weren't home so that UPS wouldn't take it back to the warehouse.]

anniemaxx - I agree, Beck moves me when she talks about all the not-hunger feelings.

Sencha - Yep, Kudos for standing down the triggers for BBQ chips.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

From Trigger to Eating

Sometimes, the chain of events that ends in eating is straightforward:

You encounter a trigger: Someone offers you a piece of cake.
|
v
You have a thought: That cake looks good.
|
v
You make a decision: I think I'll have it.
|
v
You act: You eat the cake.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 30.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! I was going to check in earlier, but glanced out the window and saw someone taking a walk, and i thought- I could do that right now before it gets too hot. So I did, and credit for that and for stretching. It’s great to get some exercise done early. I really need my sleep so i’m not going to start getting up earlier to do exercise, but on leisurely days like today (no work) its a possibility.

York was great to visit. Tons of things to see, just walking around the city with its old walls is a treat. Yorkminster cathedral was a highlight, and catching evensong there was so wonderful. You feel connected to people from hundreds of years ago, sitting in those old wooden pews and hearing the choir.
We had an apt with a small kitchen and living room, so we could save money by eating breakfast and dinner at home. I was delighted at the grocery store prices which were cheaper than ours- a container of pomegranate seeds for about 2 dollars! Interesting healthy salads for about 4 dollars, with lentils, beets, parsley which gave me some new ideas. And the chocolate and pastries were sadly cheaper too.

We have wild black raspberries growing in the backyard and for about a week or 10 days they are ready to eat. Such a treat to wander out and pick them. A little sour, but free, fresh and organic, what could be better!
Happy Wednesday all!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. This morning Otis and I had a pretty good walk and I'll head to the gym a little later. So far, 3 days and no beer. It is so weird, because when I don't have a beer it is no big deal, but boy can it become a habit when I let it. I find I just have to have an iced tea or whatever and sit and visit with dh when he gets home from work.

I was thinking of a movie after getting cleaned up after the gym, but my best friend who lives in WA was called back after her mammogram and is to go in this morning, so I will be available to get a call from her. It wouldn't be as big a deal, but she had breast cancer 14 years ago. I know she is very nervous about it. So, I'll come home and do some housework before Otis gets home at noon. It's a lot easier to get things done without his "help". For those of you who are new, Otis is my 10 month old cocker spaniel who goes to dh's office on Mon/Wed/Fri mornings when I go to the gym while we are in a condo. He is actually used to it now, but at first I was afraid he would bark. We will be here about 8 weeks while the kitchen and a few other things are remodeled.

Bill I thought you had the new dishwasher before now. Didn't yours give up the ghost awhile back? We sold the one we just purchased a year ago and I hope I like the new one we'll be getting with the other things. This sounds terrible, but I wanted all the appliances to match in the new kitchen.

Ennay I can't believe how hot it is going to be in the PNW. Most of the people I know don't have A/C, so it can be very uncomfortable. I hope it doesn't last long.

Maryann I think we are cut from the same cloth as far as getting rid of things. I find it especially easy when someone else wants them. I'm sure your friend will be delighted with your teaching materials. My cousin plans to retire in a year and having been to her classroom I can't imagine how much stuff she has to "pass on".

Sencha Good for you for dealing with the cravings. I do find that if I exercise my resistance muscle it does get easier and I am so proud. I bought this smoked paprika spice that smells like BBQ potato chips. I wonder if some of that sprinkled on air popped popcorn would fit the bill if you needed something. We have been eating popcorn for a snack lately.

Curlyjax Great to hear from you. Boy did that trip ever go quickly. I'm glad you had a good time and dh felt good. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip in upcoming posts.

I'm waiting to hear from the rest of you.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-02-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

When all else fails, follow the directions. I have kept to my WW tracking pledge for the week but ended up eating all my extra points yesterday. There was no apparent reason. So today I followed Beck's directions and planned what I will eat prior to the day beginning. I know this is something I won't do forever, but I can do it today. Credit for further refining a few meals that I know work. At the store yesterday, I found super thin sliced extra sharp regular cheese. I had been using lowfat on my breakfast sandwich. Less of quality is better than more of low quality. Also, saved a point on a specific yoghurt. It is about intention for me. I know extreme rigidity will backfire eventually. Nevertheless, it can be helpful to jumpstart myself back into discipline, I know that fewer food choices for awhile is better.

DS is working with DH down at the ranch for two days. This gives me the chance to finish the last few items on my summer to do list. No excuses since I won't even have to cook meals. Laundry from my trip is started. Weight is three pounds from ticker.

KarenRN: I forget. In WW, can I carry today's leftover regular points over to tomorrow. Since I used my weekly points yesterday, I want to build back a reserve.

BBE: You crack me up about the dishwashing pods. I know I slipped into middle class opulence when I switched to them. I use to be the one calculating every penny. I made my own batches of baking mix (instead of Bisquick), taco seasoning, and even laundry detergent. Boy do I enjoy the luxury of "off the shelf." Still, as DH says, if push comes to shove, I know I can do it again.

curleyjax: Welcome back. Congrats on the walk.

Looks like everyone is fighting the heat battle. We were at 108 yesterday. That is pretty tough for wimpy Californians. I have such respect for my DH out in it everyday.

Just a little update on a year long goal. On March 1st I gave up shopping for new clothes. I wanted to work through my closet. I wanted to optimize outfits and prune what wasn't usable. The only piece of clothing I have bought ( aside from a few work related school shirts) is a pair of jeans. I had a major catastrophe with my favorite jeans and had to toss them. I bought a pair of reasonable jeans as a replacement and discovered they were buy one, get one free. The money saved will go for VRBO rental for my girlfriends celebrating my 30 years of sobriety. As so often happens, less feels like more.

Last edited by maryann; 08-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick post to get back into the swing of things.

curlyjax, glad you had a good time over here. We're just back from Yorkshire too. Went to Scarborough on Monday, encouraged by your plan to go there. Did you get over there? I've been meaning to visit the Roman signal station near the Castle for years and it was a lovely day for it. We climbed up and over the headland to get down to the harbour where I had a 'small' fish and chips at a restaurant. I called that a win. Then I had Eton mess, which was not a win and I'm not giving a link to it.

See you all tomorrow when I've caught up with things.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning coaches!

Reasonably good day yesterday. Credit starting weights again with body weight and baby weights. weighed, logged food.

Along the lines of karenrn's post and BBE's quote of the day, I was off plan with wine last night. Still in calories, but I hadn't planned on wine and then dh opened a bottle to go with the steak. Wine is a tough trigger one there for me if it is offered. I dont have a problem not opening one, but when dh does I almost always have a large glass.

I was in calories because last nights dinner ended up enormous for the calories so I only served myself a 3/4 portion and I was almost painfully stuffed. I've been making some new recipes from a non-diet site and the meals are ending up much more filling than most of my diet meals. Haven't quite figured that out yet. It was significant enough that I went in and checked the calculations this morning.

BBE - I think all the new dishwashers growl at you for rinse aid. Mine adds minutes to the end of the cycle if the rinse aid isnt full. But I found my dishes are actually cleaner without. I may have water spots, but the rinse aid seemed to leave a chemical taste.

curlyjax - good job getting out there early. I woke up early to try to beat the heat but didnt actually make it out the door. I succumbed to coffee instead. Indoor workout today. It was 85 by 8:30 this morning. I am a complete heat wimp

karenrn - I got a puppy since I last was here too! I have a 7 month old Boston. He's just getting to the point where I can trust him uncrated for about an hour. Anything longer than that I day crate. Fortunately I work from home or work evenings so he only has to be day crated for a few hours a week. I wish we could put in a doggy door, but we live on wetlands and I am a bit concerned we might have some unwanted furry visitors if we did.

Yeah, about 2/3 of my town has no a/c or just window units. I've had friends over before in this kind of heat. They come for dinner but bring their own food, I just provide A/C

maryann - agree - sometimes the intention is the important part. I tend to eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast and lunch most days when I am on plan so I fall into thinking I dont need to plan it/record it and then I find my self not following the plan. Even if I majorly binge the act of recording it is the fastest way to snap out of it. Quite often because I find the binge wasnt as bad as it was in my mind so I escape the "what the ****, blown it anyway" mentality.

silverbirch hi!
Closed Thread