Old 07-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.5/149/135

Height: 5.5

Default Vegetarian

Are any of you all doing IP/Alternatives as a Vegetarian? I have been studying it by reading articles and watching Netflix documentaries on meat and such. I know that there are several levels of the way of eating plant based meals. I guess I am just curious of it.
Skinnyjeangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 246.5/176.4/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm pescatarian, meaning I eat fish but no other meat. My dinner protein usually consists of eggs, tofu, or seafood such as cod, tilapia, salmon, tuna (canned and steaks), or scallops.

If you are a full vegetarian, you may still be able to do IP but your options would be limited and it might get pretty repetitive.
shandygaffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Seitan is another low carb option and easy to make but only if you do not have to be gluten free. You may wish to do the Alternative/Diabetic IP Plan so that you can get protein from beans or dairy. You will still lose weight and it is still a legitimate IP plan from head office. Use a low fat Greek yogourt for more concentrated protein, and low fat cheeses. Best beans I've found for ratio of proteins to carbs is Edamame at 1C = 16g protein, 10 net carbs; Fava Beans at 1C = 13g protein, 21 net carbs; White Kidney Beans at 1C = 14g protein, 23 net carbs. The white kidney beans are lower in actual sugars than the fava but have more starch which is why they are slightly higher in carbs, but your body may process the starches slower than the sugars - better for your insulin sensitivity - especially if eaten with your fat allowance. Just something to think about.

You may also find this IP thread helpful... I was on it 3 years ago. It hasn't been pulled up in ages but is very pertinent as many Indian people are vegetarians. Hubby & I eat Indian food a lot. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ndians-ip.html
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #4  

Default super great information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Seitan is another low carb option and easy to make but only if you do not have to be gluten free. You may wish to do the Alternative/Diabetic IP Plan so that you can get protein from beans or dairy. You will still lose weight and it is still a legitimate IP plan from head office. Use a low fat Greek yogourt for more concentrated protein, and low fat cheeses. Best beans I've found for ratio of proteins to carbs is Edamame at 1C = 16g protein, 10 net carbs; Fava Beans at 1C = 13g protein, 21 net carbs; White Kidney Beans at 1C = 14g protein, 23 net carbs. The white kidney beans are lower in actual sugars than the fava but have more starch which is why they are slightly higher in carbs, but your body may process the starches slower than the sugars - better for your insulin sensitivity - especially if eaten with your fat allowance. Just something to think about.

You may also find this IP thread helpful... I was on it 3 years ago. It hasn't been pulled up in ages but is very pertinent as many Indian people are vegetarians. Hubby & I eat Indian food a lot. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ndians-ip.html
I will definitely read more about it. I love beans! I will try and find the post on the information. This is something I will take a lot of thought before doing! Thank you!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #5  

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandygaffs View Post
I'm pescatarian, meaning I eat fish but no other meat. My dinner protein usually consists of eggs, tofu, or seafood such as cod, tilapia, salmon, tuna (canned and steaks), or scallops.

If you are a full vegetarian, you may still be able to do IP but your options would be limited and it might get pretty repetitive.
I am doing much research before making such a change. It may be when I hit my goal weight. So lots to read and think about. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #6  
Mrinalini

I'm,100% vegetarian, meaning no fish. I've been on and off IP Phase 1, and I get creative with eggs and tofu dishes!
mrinaliniv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #7  

Default Super Duper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinaliniv92 View Post
I'm,100% vegetarian, meaning no fish. I've been on and off IP Phase 1, and I get creative with eggs and tofu dishes!
Could you share some IP recipes? I am sure there are many on this site. However, its digging through them all...ugh. unless you have a link. This would be so helpful!

me
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #8  
Mrinalini

I make my own version of deviled eggs with Walden farms mayo, bake them in muffin tins with veggies, scrambled, etc.

With tofu,I usually bake it first and then stir fry it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjeangirl View Post
Could you share some IP recipes? I am sure there are many on this site. However, its digging through them all...ugh. unless you have a link. This would be so helpful!

me
mrinaliniv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #9  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

I've been a vegetarian for 21 years and did IP successfully 6 years ago, and again now. I actually find that I lose wight quicker than others on this diet and I think it's because I'm a vegetarian (less calories each day due to the lack of meat). Anyhow, I use a lot of different fake meats for my own protein each day (quorn, boca, morning star, lightlife, tofurkey, smart dogs, etc.) and sometimes I will use eggs or eggwhites. There are a ton of different meals that you can make. Some of my favorites are taco salad, stuffed peppers (veggie crumbles, riced cauliflower, hot sauce), (fake)steak and peppers, veggie burger in a blow, or on lettuce, pad thai with tofu (sauteed bean sprouts for noodles,mushrooms, sriracha & PB2 for sauce) and egg salad romaine wraps. I make up a lot of my own recipes.
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #10  

Default Hi Laura!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
I've been a vegetarian for 21 years and did IP successfully 6 years ago, and again now. I actually find that I lose wight quicker than others on this diet and I think it's because I'm a vegetarian (less calories each day due to the lack of meat). Anyhow, I use a lot of different fake meats for my own protein each day (quorn, boca, morning star, lightlife, tofurkey, smart dogs, etc.) and sometimes I will use eggs or eggwhites. There are a ton of different meals that you can make. Some of my favorites are taco salad, stuffed peppers (veggie crumbles, riced cauliflower, hot sauce), (fake)steak and peppers, veggie burger in a blow, or on lettuce, pad thai with tofu (sauteed bean sprouts for noodles,mushrooms, sriracha & PB2 for sauce) and egg salad romaine wraps. I make up a lot of my own recipes.
I think that I am going to do it.... i know there is a vegetarian post somewhere, I will search. Thanks, you have wonderful ideas! woohoo!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/219/160

Height: 5'9

Default Glad I'm not alone!

Hi, I'm newish...I did this plan before and loved it...but never phased out...my bad.
I've decided to try vegetarian this time, I see my coach tomorrow so I'll ask her more about it. Tonigh im making tofu marinated in WF smoky BBQ sauce with veggies and rice cauliflower.
Oh, and I started spotting today after 4 years in menopause! Apparently it's "normal", but it m not impressed...
I'm looking forward to hearing what she says about that too.
Thanks all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, ttyl
chris1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #12  

Default Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1965 View Post
Hi, I'm newish...I did this plan before and loved it...but never phased out...my bad.
I've decided to try vegetarian this time, I see my coach tomorrow so I'll ask her more about it. Tonigh im making tofu marinated in WF smoky BBQ sauce with veggies and rice cauliflower.
Oh, and I started spotting today after 4 years in menopause! Apparently it's "normal", but it m not impressed...
Thanks all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, ttyl
Hey I'm excited to hear more about your visit with your coach and what you are making. I am transitioning into a vegetarian it's taking me a little bit of time but I want to read on everything and make sure this is the right thing for me. I know exactly what you're going through, on Wednesday of this week I hit 365 days without a period. Hot flashes are ****!!! So I'm hoping that that's it then no more TOM!!!!💋💋💋💋💋
Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #13  

Default Tofu

So the tofu's not an issue, nor are the Sol burgers or edename for meat substitutes. She advised that because they're not as high in protein, this might slow down my weight loss, so it was up to me.
As for the spotting, there's a sheet on these boards that explains why this may occur, wish I was more savvy on the computer so I could send you the link! Speaking of not being savvy.....how do I get my profile done? I'm on iPad in case that matters.
Oh and that smoky BBQ sauce from WF? Amazing, very true to taste!
Happy day everyone!
Old 07-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1965 View Post
Hi Chris, Spotting after menopause might be diet-related or something else totally innocuous, but if it were me, I'd run it by my gyno just to be sure.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-29-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #15  

Default Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Hi Chris, Spotting after menopause might be diet-related or something else totally innocuous, but if it were me, I'd run it by my gyno just to be sure.
There's actually a sheet on here that explains why this can happen....phew...
I will pass it by the doctor but I'm sure she'll be clueless lol!