Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/210/155

Height: 5'8"

Default Want to walk a marathon, eventually run one?? Anyone else??

Hi!

I am starting back up on my exercising and eating healthy mode after a major slide after turning 40! I had managed to lose 38#, but have gained 10#back ARGH!

I would like to lose 65#, walk a marathon in 2004 and maybe someday run one? Maybe we can motivate each other??? Have an awesome day! Thanks for reading!
jhezzie

238/220/155
Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #2  
Just gotta run!

Many marathons place a time limit on finishing. They do so because they have to employ police and shut down roads. Make sure any marathon you enter will give you enough time to finish at a walking pace. Walking all the time may take you 7 hours or more, depending on your pace. You may want to start at shorter distances. Many marathons have half marathons at the same time. There are also 15K, 10K and 5K races.

I plan to do a marathon someday. Right now I am running 5K (3.1 miles) races. This fall I plan to graduate up to 10K races and maybe run/walk the Disney Half Marathon next January.

Good luck!

Bill
Old 03-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #3  
~ Berry Happy ~

Hi jhezzie - first congrats on the weight you did lose! Way to go! I think it's great that you one day want to walk/run in marathons. Sounds like fun!

I've never actually done a marathon, but I did a charity walk once, (can't remember the name of it now...) but I REALLY liked it, even though I hurt afterwards . I think it was a 6 mile walk. I did it when I was TOTALLY out of shape, and boy was I sore.

I didn't wear the proper shoes, and that killed my feet, and I just wasn't prepared to walk that far, when really, I had hardly ever walked more than a mile or two at a time in my life! Not to mention I had a hard time catching my breath, JUST from walking!

Lately I've really been having the desire to sign up for some more walks for charity around the area. This is about the time that they start up again. I've been trying to walk and exercise everday so I can get used to it. I've noticed the MORE I walk, the better I can breathe while walking, because my body is getting used to it.

jhezzie - I think in 2004 you will be able to walk or even run your marathon! I know I'm rooting for you!

Good luck in all that you do!

~ Kari ~
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #4  

I think running a marathon is a great idea, That idea just motivated me to search for one, sign up and start training for it. I have never run one before, but there is a first time for everything. This is a great excuse to get some serious exercise. I can run 3 miles strong so maybe I'll shoot for a short distance. That was inspiring.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #5  

My goal is to run a marathon before I die. My short term goal is to run five km without dying.

Seriously, I do want to do this at some point. It's so hard to believe that if I keep following this couch potato to 5 km run plan that I'll be able to actually run for thirty minutes without stopping, but I'm on the fourth week now, and I can hardly believe how difficult the first weeek was. Soon, I tell myself. Soon...
Old 03-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #6  

Trouble in China - stick with it and it will get better. When I started running, I couldn't even jog for 5 minutes at a time. I didn't follow a plan, just kept walking and jogging as much as I could. Two years later, I'm training for a half marathon and ran 8 miles last weekend (I'm slow - it took me almost 90 minutes to finish 8 miles, but I finished nonetheless).
Closed Thread