Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Hello

Hello

I was part of that Golden Girls thread, but little by little everyone has left. Kind of sad. I used to come here ~ came here pretty much daily since joining in 2000 and share stuff. I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would tonight.

Kind of silly, but I had a NSV (non scale victory) tonight. I baked a cake at my granddaughter's request for tomorrow for Mother's day for her mom. One of those little Jiffy cakes. They are just the right size ~ a few pieces without much left overs. I didn't even lick the beaters or spatula. Yippee for me.

She bought this cute mother's day card that had a doggie on it and it said something about taking time in life to stop and lick the icing. So to go with this she bought and wrapped a container of icing and asked me to bake the cake.

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow to all the mother's out there.

ETA ~ Oops ~ I was just looking back at my post ~ it was Father's Day ~ we made the cake because it was my daughter's birthday. Every few years her birthday and Father's Day fall on the same day. So, I got mixed up. Wished a friend Happy Mother's day ~ she nicely told me it was Father's Day ~ I hadn't realized my mistake until then. LOL

Last edited by glynne; 06-23-2017 at 11:52 AM.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

Another NSV ~ I helped my granddaughter frost the little cake I made last night for her mom's birthday. Didn't taste any of it or even have a piece of cake. That is huge for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #3  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hello Glynne!

I used to post a lot in another 50+ thread a year or so ago. It died out too. Fantastic that you were able to resist the temptation of chocolate decadence! I recently started Atkins induction and have successfully stared down pizza, donuts, chocolate covered cherry cake, a giant platter sized cookie and a salted caramel macaroon. I work 2nd shift and these landmines were all brought by well meaning families and co-workers within the past week! Donuts, pizza, cookies, cakes and ice cream have always been a terrible weakness of mine! So I understand what a victory that was for you! Stay strong!
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

Thank you for the encouragement LurchMomma. And awesome job with resisting your favorites.

I like your profile/avatar picture. Are the flowers in your yard? They are beautiful ~ so colorful.

Are you a nurse? The way you described food being brought in by families and co-workers ~ reminded me of how it was at my work places. It was a struggle ~ all those yummy foods calling out to me. My weakness for those things being available like that and so hard to resist, I believe are part of how I ended up in the fix I'm in.

Last edited by glynne; 07-01-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #5  
Want to feel better

Some days good (with the eating), some days not as good. My husband and I are doing that Eat to Live way of eating (Dr. Joel Fuhrman). We've been doing it for a couple years now. He does better than I do ~ that is always the way it has been with the eating (frustrating that he is almost perfect at it). I follow it more loosely. Even though I don't do it to the letter, I am eating way better than I did for a long time. And because of a recent little health scare, I have finally (hopefully) reined in my struggle with sweets. I have done really well with that ~ that is huge for me, as sweets have been my life long struggle.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #6  

Gayle, that is AWESOME that you could turn down the beaters and spatula. I also have a big weakness to sweets so I don't know that I could have done that.

I am new here and trying to get myself going.
rdjrneace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

Hi rdjrneace ~ I replied to your other post. I will post more often than I have been if there are going to be some others here now. I'm glad that others are posting ~ I was missing sharing with others.

Last edited by glynne; 07-01-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #8  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Hi!
I'd like to join in here to offer mutual support and sharing. I am 50 years old and I am doing LCHF. I have 2 adult children and a 6 year old grandson. I am definitely a sugar/carb addict and am working to make this a lifestyle change.
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #9  
Want to feel better

Welcome Boopchick ~ glad to have you join us. Looking forward to getting to know you. What does LCHF stand for ~ I am not familiar with that one.

I see by your ticker thingy that you have lost 21.4 pounds ~ that is awesome ~ keep it up.

Last edited by glynne; 07-01-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

Hello all,

I was feeling kind of tired early this evening. I was thinking to have something quick and easy for supper (not a healthy thing). I was fixing up my husband's stuff first. It is soup and salad night. His salad was looking good, so I decided I wanted one too. While I had the stuff out, it was just as easy to make one for me too. Yum. Glad I didn't do the other thing.

Today, I worked on a sewing project, ran some errands. It wasn't as hot today as some of the days have been.

A little about me. I will be 62 in August. Retired now (LVN). Will be married 41 years in December. I have 3 grown kids son 40, and two daughters (adopted from Korea) 36 and 35. Four grand kids ~ two that live down here 19 and 9. Two that live in SC 7 and 3.

I have struggled with my weight all my adult life. I just keep trying though ~ because if I gave up (even though I have not been very successful so far) I'd be in worse shape than I already am. So, I just keep plugging away at it. Every time I do something right ~ is one less time I've done something wrong.

Hope you all are having a nice evening.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #11  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Hi Gayle,
LCHF=low carb high fat. Thanks for the welcome I had a good day hanging out with my 6 year old grandson today. We went to the spray park and playground for most of the afternoon. I heated up some leftover low carb shepherd's pie that I made yesterday. My weight has been hanging around 252 more or less all week. I'm hoping to hit the 240s before long!
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

Good evening all,

I woke up with a stupid headache that hung on until late this afternoon. Because of the headache, my eating wasn't the best. I wrote this on another thread here ~ What are your biggest weight loss obstacles ~ What seems to be my stumbling block is when I have a headache. When I do, I don't have the patience to fix food. So, when I am hungry, I just want to grab something quick, which usually is something that is not the best choice.

When the headache finally went away, I was able to work some more on a sewing project I wanted to get more done on.

These headaches ~ sometimes I think it is something I ate (something with chocolate in it). But it is puzzling to me ~ because the thing I think might have caused it ~ other times I can eat it without problems.

During the school year, we have our 9 year old granddaughter in the afternoons ~ she gets off the bus here and stays until her mom gets home from work. In the summer, she comes over at different times of day, depending on what time her mom has to work. She was growly and short of patience today. She told Grandpa that she had stayed up until 4:30 in the morning. She is usually sweet, but not today. Hope she goes to bed earlier tonight.

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by glynne; 06-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #13  

Hi all, my real name is Debbie and I live in a rural small town community in Northern Kentucky (about 30 minutes south of Cincinnati). I will be 56 in about 2 1/2 weeks and have been overweight more in my life than I wasn't. I have 2 children (and therein lies my problem since I never really lost weight after having the 1st one). My daughter will be 37 (in a month) and has 3 children (Abby, Kendra & Trent - aka AKT); my son is 34 and has 5 children (Jonathan, Isabel, Sawyer, Reagan and Lincoln) plus my angel grandson David. I work full time and sit all down which is another problem.

I am doing just a low calorie meal plan (1200 calories) - no specific foods just watch what I eat and stay in my calorie level. I have lost 9 pounds since 6/15 so I am pretty happy with that. I go back to my weight loss doctor on 7/13 so I am hoping I can loose another 2-3 pounds before then (they would like for me to loose around 10 pounds a month).

I started going back to the gym so I leave house at 4:45 AM exercise for 45 minutes and then go to work. It actually has been making me feel better and not as tired.

Thanks for reading my book.
rdjrneace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #14  
Want to feel better

Good evening,

Kind of pooped. I've been doing stuff all day ~ taking advantage of a headache free day. Things had gotten kind of messy ~ I had been working on sewing projects and had neglected other stuff. I got to a point where I could set aside the sewing, so took care of some of the mess that had built up. It always makes me feel good when I accomplish stuff. The major thing was taking care of the clutter that had built up on my kitchen table, and putting stuff away that I hadn't taken time to do before. Then a lot of the other stuff was just little puttery stuff, but stuff I wanted to/enjoyed doing.

I ate pretty good today ~ keeping busy (and having no headache) helps.

Debbie ~ I enjoyed your “book”. I have flown into the Cincinnati airport a couple times when I came up to visit my sister. Maybe I have passed through or near your town on the way to her place. She lives in Mt. Sterling. I have another friend who lives in Clay City. She actually is a friend I made here on 3 Fat Chicks way back when I started. We have been friends over the internet all these years and have actually gotten to meet three times now. The last time was this spring ~ she invited my sister and I to spend the afternoon with her. It was so much fun. Oh, a fun small world thing ~ my sister was talking to one of her co-workers and discovered that she was a cousin to my friend in Clay City.

Do your grandchildren live nearby you?

You are doing great with your meal plan so far ~ 9 pounds is great. And going to the gym ~ that is awesome. I always thought food would be the hardest part for me, but it is the exercise. I know I need to do it, but it seems there is always something else I want to do instead, and I put it off and before I know it, I've missed another day. I've gotta get better at that.

Boopchick ~ I'm glad you had a fun day with your grandson. Hang in there about the weight ~ you'll get there.

Hello LurchMomma ~ hope things are going well for you.

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by glynne; 07-01-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #15  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hello Ladies:

Gayle: Those are wild flowers I picked down in the holler when we were at the farm in Kentucky one summer. We live in Ohio, but we get to Kentucky when we can. They are pretty, aren't they? Somewhere, I have a picture of an Ohio wildflower boquet I gathered up here and put in a mason jar. It was pretty, but I still think Kentucky flowers are prettier. Yes, I am a nurse. LPN. And, I have gained 50 pounds since quitting smoking 10 years ago, and starting 2nd shift around 5 years ago. It's coming home and eating in the wee hours of the morning, then going to bed, and sleeping away the "good" part of the day, I think, that have been the biggest causes. Of course, I'm teetering on the edge of menopause, too. My husband gets cluster headaches all of the time, and he spends many miserable hours enduring them. I hope yours stay gone for a bit!

Boop: I'm doing LCHF too. I've lost almost 10 pounds in less than a month. I am thinking of adding a few berries with heavy cream now that I'm through induction. I plan to keep carb intake to less than 50g/day. Chasing grandkids definitely helps!

Debbie: I am impressed that you are able to get up and out the door so early. I barely crawl out of bed before 11am, then I kick myself for not getting up and doing something worthwhile before work. Usually, by the time I am up and caffeinated, it's time to make something low carb for breakfast, get my lunch packed and get ready for work. It's a bummer for sure. I work 3-11, which means I really get off around 12:30am (on a good night) and then have a 40 minute commute. I get home and am keyed up, so I eat. LOL. Up until recently it was ice cream almost every night. I pass a UDF that is open 'til 1am! A double scoop of Sea Salt Caramel was my usual order. Now I've been eating pork rinds and cream cheese, or pork rinds and sour cream. LOL. I go to bed around 3am feeling decidedly greasy. I have sleep apnea, so I probably don't get the quality sleep I should, even with the c-pap. Anyway....I keep telling myself I will get up by 9am, do a Bible study, ride my bike, feed my chickens, plant some half-runners before it's too late for even fall beans, work on small areas of my house at a time (it's overwhelming...I want to be a minimalist and my husband loves garage sales...LOL), but instead, everything feels overwhelming and I stay in bed.

Well, Ladies....didn't intend to write all that, but, it's the truth. I hope you all have a great night and day tomorrow. I was off today, because I work the weekend. I didn't really even get moving until dinner time.
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote