Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/315/150

Height: 5'7"

Question New with lots of questions

Hi everyone.
I just joined 3fc and have been browsing around and found this section. A little about myself:
I am 46 and weigh about 315 lbs. I am at my heaviest and am so depressed. I've tried diets off and on but nothing ever sticks. I don't know if I have the discipline to lose 150+ lbs. I have never found anything that works for me... mainly because I am very impatient and if I don't see at least a little improvement fairly quickly, I get very discouraged. I get zero exercise. Though, at this point, I'm not even sure what I could DO to exercise. I do have a treadmill, that I've hardly ever used.

I'm seriously considering a low carb diet. I'm on Pinterest a lot and I see tons of pins on 'keto' diets... though I don't know that much about them. My sister lost a lot of weight on Atkins and has been successful at keeping it off. I don't have a lot of $ to spend on special food. My bf had surgery a month ago and has been off work until just last week. I do have lots of chickens, so eggs are always plentiful, which seems like a good thing for a low carb diet.

Any help, pointers, suggestions for diet/food/exercise would be greatly appreciated.

I do suffer from Hypothyroidism, but I take medicine which is supposed to even things out. I also suffer from depression, but I've been doing pretty well recently. I just know I am not getting any younger and it's only going to get harder the older I get.

I really hope to be able to connect with someone here. And hopefully have a partner I can be accountable to..
JennaFurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #2  
mjf

There are many good diets, so I don't think it's very important which one you pick (unless there are foods you need to avoid because of intolerances). However, there are some things that most good diets have in common, for example:
Avoid sweets (or anything with added sugar), refined carbs, deep fried foods, and highly processed foods.
Make sure you eat enough vegetables, enough protein (e.g. eggs, fish, lean meats), and enough healthy fats (e.g. nuts, avocado, olive oil, salmon). If you eat grains, make sure they're whole grains (e.g. brown rice, quinoa). Some other healthy foods that you can eat are fruit, beans, and greek yogurt.

If you post a list of foods that you eat, I might be able to give you suggestions of what to change.

If you find it hard to motivate yourself to exercise, you can try increasing your amount of exercise gradually, so that you're not overwhelmed. You can start with walking. If you walk outside instead of on the treadmill, maybe it'll be less boring. Later, when you feel you're ready, you can add in other types of exercise like jogging and/or weightlifting.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Welcome Jenna!
Glad to see you posting on the 300+ threads. Our journey is different from others who have less to lose.
Patience used to be one of my downfalls. While I still get impatient I no longer allow it to derail me. I am a few years older than you and I am committed to getting my weight down to a much healthier level.
I think Atkins is a great plan. Some people use it to jump start their weight loss and then switch to something else. Others have great long term success with it. I suggest going to dietdoctor.com they have great advice, tons of success stories, and delicious recipes.
I would also encourage you to stick around here to give and get support. Our 300+ chat group can be a godsend on this journey.
As for exercise it is important for health but not weight loss. So start slow and find something you enjoy doing.
Make a commitment and don't let excuses derail you. This is not a journey where we have to stay and be perfect. There will be weeks you don't lose, weeks you may gain and times you will totally screw up. Welcome to reality. Treat yourself like you would a friend and you will succeed.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/309/170

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jenna,

I just joined this forum as well. I am also hoping to get support from people who really understand the problems, issues, struggles, I face as they face them too. I too, am impatient and have a very hard time staying on track for more than 30 days. Hopefully we can find some motivation in each other.

I have one suggestion for exercise, I have been doing these leslie sansome walking videos I found on youtube. They require no special equipment and you do not have to be very coordinated either (which is good for me). The videos are about 15 minutes long and you end up walking 1 mile. When I started, I could barely make it through 1 video and now i've started doing 2 back to back. If you are unable to stand for that amount of time, try searching chair exercises on youtube, there are plenty of exercises you can do from a seated position so not to put any stress on your back and knees. The important thing is to move. I also suffer from depression and find that the exercise is helping me some. It'll be the little things that you notice, like not getting out of breathe walking up stairs, or not getting so tired while grocery shopping, it may or may not help with the weight loss, but you will feel better and for me that's helped with making better food choices.

Looking forward to success with you,

Dawn
megalodawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Hi, Jenna: Just wanted to say welcome. So glad you are reaching out to folks who "get" where you are. This is a great place for support and help. I personally advocate a high plant based diet (as much raw as possible), but honestly, the best plan for any of us is one that we will stick to for the long haul. This is hard for me because I want LOTS of results and I want them FAST - like yesterday. I'm having to work on this mental aspect myself. I find that walking is the best exercise at this size because it is not as taxing. I know there are exceptions to this according to everyone's individual situation, but I recently read that it is the most effective exercise for larger people because even water aerobics aren't as effective due to the water causing the body to have less resistance and, therefore, having less effect on the burning of calories. You may want to google that to read the article and get better info than I could give here. Looking forward to reading of your success, and remember, when you need support...this truly is a great place to get it. We've got your back because we understand exactly where you are...because we are there too. We can do this!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

First of all, welcome. I'm so glad you are here and ready to make your life awesome.

As someone who's around your age, I'm 44, I totally understand how you feel. Also with depression itself, I know the struggle.

But I have some good news for you...

1. It is possible, it's a long, slow road but it's possible. I think when we have this much to loose we view it as one big chunk, instead of breaking it up and taking it small victories at a time. This go around I reward myself for every pound I loose, and it's not with FOOD btw.

2. Exercise helps depression.....there has been much research that shows exercise helps flood the brain with serotonin.

3. You don't have to run a marathon to exercise.....you just need to start moving the body and adding on to that movement....

4. You can do this...you are not alone...everyone here is always willing to help out....you have to commit to yourself and your worth.

It's not too late...it's just the right time

Please join our exercise thread and post here often.

The time is going to pass whether you are working on it or not.

sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:12 AM   #7  

I had a major backslide. Depression and withdrawing from everyone and everything... I'm trying to reach out. Is anyone still here?
Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

I am still here as are many others.
Are you getting professional help for your depression? Don't give up you just need to find what works for you.
Also there is a dieting with depression section on 3 Fat Chicks.
You are worth it Jenna.
Ubee
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 400/396/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaFurry View Post
I had a major backslide. Depression and withdrawing from everyone and everything... I'm trying to reach out. Is anyone still here?
I am and want you to know you aren't alone! I tried to send you a private message but I have to have 10 posts before I can do that. I would be happy to exchange emails with you!
sweetpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #10  

Thank you to everyone who has replied here.. I really appreciate the support. I need to get into the habit of visiting here everyday. I'm doing better as far as my depression, but I still haven't been able to maintain a diet.

Sweetpeach, I'd be happy to exchange emails with you.. thank you for reaching out to me! I can't post my email address until I have 25 posts however. Ugh. So maybe we can just chat here until we get 10 posts then I can send you my email address in a PM. =)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Having weighed 350 lbs in my life, and knowing some of the struggles you mentioned, you don't need to lose 150 lbs., just 5, then another 5, and then another...it adds up. Just like the weight we put on, set small goals and work on little ways that will improve your health. Such as walking, dancing to your favorite songs, eating more fruit, drinking more water, etc. not a diet but a way of life, not perfection but progress.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 AM   #12  

Thank you to all who have replied to me... I'm still here. I'm doing much better now.. I'm in a better frame of mind. I am trying to be more positive. I have started a new round of low carb. I may not continue with it, but at least it should help me get a bit of weight off in a decent amount of time. I know I have a long way to go. And I know it's not going to be easy. I haven't been doing very well as far as exercise... I've only walked on my treadmill once.. but we have gone shopping and that wears me out, so that should count too!

I'm leaving for Arizona on the 3rd of Oct.. I'm going to visit my sister for a week and a half. I'm really looking forward to that too because she eats low carb.. not as a diet per se, but as a way of life.

I've been doing some googling.. about how to make myself more attractive.. at 300+ lbs, I feel kind icky. Maybe I'll hop around some other subforums and see if I can't find some good info. I am hoping to get my hair cut tomorrow and I'm going to get my eyebrows waxed.. I just haven't been taking very good care of me... I've just felt so fat and ugly and gross. But I realize I need to do things to make myself more attractive.. even if it's just for ME.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 308/250/215

Height: 5'11

What makes you unattractive? I say personalty makes a beautiful person. Plus a bit a meat on the bones is hot.
powerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:39 AM   #14  

I feel unattractive mostly due to my weight. I know, in an ideal world, personality is what makes a person attractive. But I live in the real world, no offense intended. I just know how it goes. I'm not a little overweight, with 'a bit of meat on my bones' as you said.

But the great news is, I'm losing! =)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 308/250/215

Height: 5'11

ok. I guess I never really cared what the world seen me has. Plus I always found bigger women attractive. I don't know. sorry I cant give more uplifting words
powerbear is offline   Reply With Quote