Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat and Support 2017 pt 2

Do you have Diabetes, or have you been told you have Prediabetes? If so, join our discussion here.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-14-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #2  

Losing weight with Diabetes can be a little tricky, as you have to control your blood sugar at the same time. What are you doing to work toward your goals of weight loss and blood sugar control? What meds are you using that work for you? Are you controlling blood sugar with diet and exercise? It really helps to hear what's working for someone else.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #3  

Trish, I think 5:2 is a good plan. Doing that, you are also open to add another day when you can. It can also be used to work up to JUDDD, or EOD fasting. I want to start doing 5:2 in an effort to get back to JUDDD, as that has been the only plan that worked well for me recently. Eating with DH throws me off schedule.

I'm glad you are starting to feel back to normal after your hospitalization. I'm wondering what the actual effect is when they give you insulin in the hospital. They do that to me here, too, and I think it's more because it's easier for them to control the blood sugar rather than using your usual meds. Also, receiving medical treatment can cause stress which changes your blood sugar levels, and maybe your usual meds would not be enough to correct them. I never had a problem getting my blood sugar back to normal after receiving insulin in the hospital. I think you will do fine.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Hello everyone, just checking in. I'm doing pretty well. My doc put me on Trulicity 1 x week injection, ontop of my already taking 2,000mg Metformin ER daily. I had my a1c checked a few days ago, and it came back at a 5.9

Still having troubles, though, regularly checking my blood sugar. I've just been so tired lately from overworking and dealing with the grief over my mom's passing, that tbh it all just seems like a pain in the butt *no excuse, I know*

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say hello. Hope everyone is doing well
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

JesikaBeth So sorry about the loss of your Mother. I know how that feels. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My Mother passed away 25 yrs ago and I still miss her. Congratulations on the 5.9. I'm on Trulicity and it really helps although the antibiotic I'm on seems to be messing with it. I come off that Thursday and take another injection then so I hope it will get back down below 6.

They called and doing the procedure this morning rather than later. Will be back later for more comments. He is in the care ready to go.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #6  

Carol Sue I still had a high FBS reading this morning, but for the 1st time today, my reading before Lunch was back down to 113. I had a CAD CM for breakfast. I boiled 2 eggs and cut up a finger salad of radish, cuke and yellow bell pepper. Didn't get to drink all my coffee before they called for DH to go early to have his endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was beginning to experience hypoglycemia feeling by the time I started cooking lunch. I had a CAD RM. I will have a slimfast drink later to take my last antibiotic. I have one more full day of the antibiotic and I will be finished with it. Then maybe everything will get back to normal.

I was reading the Alternate Day Diet while waiting for DH to have his tests done. He recommends doing the 8:16 IF plan while working up to the AOD or JUDDD. I have never heard that you could eat whatever amount of food you wanted as long as you did it within 8 hrs and fast 16. I'm not sure why you couldn't do an 8:16 with the JUDDD. What do you think?

I liked DH doctor better than the one I had. But I still can't blame anyone as my doctor said "we will never know what happened". The doctor said everything was fine although DH did have a red inflamed place I think in the duodonem and they did a biopsy of it. He said we would get the results in about 14 days. He told me DH could have the procedure again in 5 years, but the nurse told DH and the paper work they sent home said 10 yrs. So maybe we won't have to have any more as long as we have no problems.
So glad we are over with that stuff.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Carol Sue

I was reading the Alternate Day Diet while waiting for DH to have his tests done. He recommends doing the 8:16 IF plan while working up to the AOD or JUDDD. I have never heard that you could eat whatever amount of food you wanted as long as you did it within 8 hrs and fast 16. I'm not sure why you couldn't do an 8:16 with the JUDDD. What do you think?
I'm not sure what you're asking, so I will respond as well as I can. Most IF plans I've read do not say you can eat whatever amount of food you want. It says to eat until satisfied. So to me, it should not be a free-for-all. If you're asking if you could do a DD of much fewer calories while doing 8:16, then yes, I think you could. But 8:16 is not the same as JUDDD, which is fasting on alternate days. There are some people on the JUDDD forum who have been doing it for years and don't eat any food on DD, or maybe just 100-200 calories.

I agree that what happened to you wasn't anyone's fault. I don't know if the prep you were using didn't keep you from becoming dehydrated or if doing it twice caused it. I really have never heard of anyone doing it twice so close together.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #8  

Carol Sue I think what he was saying is that you could eat about the same amount of calories; no UDDD as long as you ate within 8 hrs and fasted 16 hrs. I'm thinking about making my eating window between 10:30 am and 6:30 pm. because when I meet DD and DS for breakfast on Monday and Wednesday by the time we get to Whataburger order and receive the order it is about 10:30ish in the morning. Friday's it is usually around 11 am so it would be easy to move to 7pm that day. I am also considering doing CAD along with the 8 hr eating window.

I don't think he was implying that you could gorge yourself and still lose weight. I'm sure some people would think that way. It is like the RM on CAD. In the original CAD you don't have to balance the meal unless you want and you have to eat that food within 60 minutes, but that does not mean that you should use that 60 minutes to gorge yourself and eat more than you need. I think some people think they can eat the whole 60 minutes and turn it into a binge. That just defeats the purpose.

Well, I'm coming off the Trulicity sooner than expected. I called to see if they got the prescription filled and it is $150 because I'm in a gap. DH Invikana is $180 and his Xarelto is going to be %158 a month. The doctor had talked about taking me off the Trulicity since my A1c was under 6.0 last time. Now I will be working to keep it that way. Thus the CAD/IF. One nice thing about CAD is that I don't have to count calories or anything. Just eat within the guidelines which will be much easier. One I get off this antibiotic Thursday, I can also go to 2 or even 1 meal a day if I want. I can keep my fruit as dessert in my RM. So never deprived.

Here's hoping everyone is doing well today. Have a great day.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #9  

Trish, I don't remember seeing the author of the Alternate Day Diet saying anything about doing 16:8 but I could very well have missed it. To me, although 16:8 is IF, it is not Alternate Day, that's the point I was making. It's actually every day fasting. It was just my understanding that JUDDD and 5:2 involved some days of 500 calories only.

I think you will do fine without the Trulicity. You know how to eat, and you exercise regularly.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #10  

Carol Sue That is interesting because I didn't remember it either although I had highlighted it. It was just a way to work up to 5:2. This was found in Chapter 10 titled Give Yourself a Break: An Alternative to Dieting Every Other Day.

As I said I am doing CAD with the 8:16. I am still tracking calories on MFP just because I want to keep a close watch on what I am doing. I am using the 1 shake meal replacement although not sure I will do it for 2 weeks. Although it might make it easier to get into the routine of eating within an 8 hr window. The interesting thing is that my calories only total 1247 for today so that is really good. I am making my RM a balanced meal similar to what I had in the hospital. And yes I will be keeping up with my exercise. I read in a book called Reverse Diabetes by Dr. Juiliane Whitaker that it is better to exercise after your biggest meal, so I will be exercising after the RM. I do believe I will do fine.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #11  

Ok, I do remember that now, doing 16:8 for a while if you want to take a break from EOD, but not as a permanent thing, as it is no longer JUDDD. I think he was talking about when you go on vacation and some other times when it might be inconvenient to be eating only 500 calories.

I took my first fluid pill today. He said to only take it if I need it. He said it was a mild dose, but it really dropped my blood pressure. I will have to keep checking to be sure it doesn't go too low. I think if I take it again I will only take 1/2. I checked online and it can be split.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #12  

I made my 1st 2 days on 8:16/CAD. I also joined a 4 day challenge on FB group to stay OP 4 days starting tomorrow hoping to help us all stay OP after. That will help me to make at least 6 days. Feels good.

We go tomorrow and get DD and taking him out to eat with us and then go back and I'll do his meds. Then I need to go by HEB grocery to get some frozen veggies I like and milk and salad stuff. Like someone said on the FB CAD group it is important to plan to succeed. I am actually enjoying this plan. It is so very easy when done correctly.

Carol Sue What is the name of your fluid pill. Mine is really a pb medicine from what I have heard. I don't have to take mine all the time. I've been taking it to get rid of the fluid from hospital stay, but I can probably stop taking it daily. In fact, the SC doctor told me to take it every other day, but I don't usually take it unless I eat too much sodium. Following the CAD/IF plan, I don't seem to eat a lot of sodium any more.

I am enjoying being able to drink a SlimFast high protein drink for dinner in the evening since I'm not really into cooking for just me at night. Although the AOD suggests doing it only 2 weeks, I just may do it longer. It just makes my life easier for me and I have seen some of the other FB CADer's use it and other Protein shakes to replace one meal a day.

My FBS is coming down again and readings before meals are back in the one teens. I've been slowly getting back into the exercising, but I will get back to at least the 20 minutes that the doctor approved of. CAD says minimum of 15 minutes, but I could only do 10 today. Still haven't got all my strength back from hospital stay. I'm thinking that since tiredness/weakness is one of the side effects of the Keflex, then perhaps when I get off of it, that will begin to correct itself. Perhaps within a week, I will be back to normal.

Good night.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI Friends: just a hello again.
Still struggling to get back to ticker and down.
Not sure how I will handle the next week.
I will be at an international conference.
I have a townhouse to stay in, and will walk a lot, to the subway etc. There will also be walking about the venue, of course alternated by moving about between programmes. Lunch is served at the venue, so can only moderate portions and try to have some will power about treats.
For breakfast, I will do a smoothie at my townhouse. Suppers are out with friends and colleagues, so again, its up to me.
I am worried about that voice inside me that says (too often) "to **** with it, you only live once, go for that deliciousness....."
and gets me totally off track for the next few days.
I understand people who crash diet and try to lose a lot of weight fast.
It seems that regulating eating is harder than not eating sometimes.

I will check in periodically in any case.

Best wishes to all
Old 06-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #14  

Mad, I too get that to **** with it feeling, way too often it seems. I am down 2 lbs this morning but I think that's a residual from the fluid pill I took yesterday. My DH has that attitude all the time. He says he would rather eat foods he likes than eat foods he doesn't like just to live a few years longer. I understand that that's not necessarily how it works, that it also has something to do with quality of life, but he can eat what he wants, and I'd like him to allow me to do the same.

I hope you do well with your food while you're away. Stay focused!

Trish, my fluid pill is Furosemide, generic for Lasix. 20mg. I took it for a while after my heart surgery. When I took it yesterday, other than running to the bathroom, I felt so good when I took it. All my pain in my hands, fingers and elbow was gone. Most of the pain is still gone today, but I'm thinking as the day goes on the fluid will return and bring the pain back with it.

I have so much leftover food in my refrigerator that I would like to eat but DH doesn't eat leftovers. I could eat it, but would have to make something else for him. I have a pork chop and some veggies from yesterday and a stuffed pepper from the day before. All of it is very appealing to me. I also have some cooked chicken that I would like to shred for a chicken and cheese quisadilla. I am planning on making hot dogs for our dinner tonight. We have both been hungry for hot dogs, and we almost stopped at a road side stand on the highway, but there was a long line so we didn't. So it will be an inexpensive dinner for us, with some potato salad and maybe beans, too. We are a little short of money between now and the end of the month so I will be planning some inexpensive meals.

This morning I went for my Echocardiogram. I will get the results in a few days after the doctor reviews it. I'm hoping for "no change."

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #15  

fatmad Oh how I know that feeling. Sometimes I feel that way, but then I think of the problems I've seen other people have had because they lived by that attitude and it causes me to come back to my senses. It isn't always easy, but I keep telling myself that it is worth the effort in the long run. Like Carol Sue said, it comes down to the "quality" of life that we want to live. I think my stay in the hospital was a wake up call for me. I am so grateful for the opportunity to do better. Good vibes headed your way.

Carol Sue I hope your Echocardiagram comes out fine. DH has the furosemide (Lasix) 20 mg and they are just too powerful for me. Mine is Chlorthalidone 25 mg. It is not listed as a fluid pill but a bp med. I didn't know that until my nephew's ex-wife went to the ER with really high bp and that is what they gave her to bring it back down. I like it better because it doesn't seem to do anything if I take it because I think I need it, but don't.

I don't always like leftovers either; depends on what it is but DH likes it. There are some things I throw out if I think it has been in there too long. My mama was picky about how long things stayed in her fridge, so I get that from her.

My weight has come back down to 214.2 as of today. I will wait until Sunday or Monday to change my ticker. This is Day 3 on CAD/8:16 and Day1 of the FB CAD challenge. As long as things keep working, that is all I care about. I am going to make myself stay on this plan for a while to get into the habit. I think I will continue drinking the Slim-Fast shake at night. I was going to switch to the Slimquick because it also helps with weight loss, but unless I can find it at Walmart, I will just stay with the Slim-Fast bottles that are already prepared. It is just so much easier at least for the 2 weeks suggested in the AOD plan. Then I can decide about the 5:2 or JUDDD plan.
I have stopped all snacks and not eating after the shake around 6:30 pm.

Have a great day.
Closed Thread