Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:51 PM   #1  

Unhappy Disgusted

I don't post often... but I really need some sort of motivation... I feel so silly, but I just broken down and cried today.

For the last three weeks I've been fluctuating between 278 and 280, and I've been a little discouraged about it. And then, what do I do tonight out of "depression" sit down and eat a whole box of Girl Scout Samoa cookies. Partway through it... I told myself I should stop that it wasn't worth it, and then a little voice in my head just told me... well, I ate most of them, I might as well finish them. I'm just so angry with myself that I couldn't control it. I know a number on the scale isn't all that important, but it's still hard to get that concept into my subconscious.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in posting this... maybe just some understanding and encouragement.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:02 AM   #2  
missaprylj

You've come to the right place, BrwnEyedGurl.

We all love, support and understand you.... we've ALL DONE THAT. What's important is that you don't decide "well, i ate all the samoas, i better get going on the tagalongs" that's really a bad choice! You can't "uneat" things. Just pick yourself up and keep going...

Someone really wise here at 3FC has this "tagline" on their signature. It says...

"I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never gonna keep me down!!" from Chumbawamba.

It's awesome, and it reflects exactly what you have the power to do!!

Old 03-03-2004, 12:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

yup, gonna second that "we've all been there" sentiment. we wouldn't be here if we hadn't. we're here for you, to give you the support you need to really get going again.

i gained in jan, said i was going to lose, adn gained 5 more in feb. but now i am going down again, and you can too.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #4  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Angry

Oh Manda......
please do not feel disgusted...because that is a bit harsh...LOL But, in all seriousness...I have and sometimes still am in your shoes....here a couple of my posts for examples....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36345

and as recent as today...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37413

Obviously...I KNOW what you are feeling. You really need to start respecting yourself, and stop this distrucive behavior and on going cycle...of loss, stall, gain, binge, gain, gain, gain. Of course a lot easier said than to do....but we can work on that as a team....you have definitely come to the right place!!!!

If you are a fan of Dr. Phil (at first I was not...because I didn't like what he had to say, usually because he is typically right...and I hate not being right...LOL) He has a great book about stopping this cycle forever....it is like my emotional bible...and my food plan my diet bible. Good Luck...and please keep on posting!!!!!

Oh yeah, I almopst forgot.....when you come to a stall...check out the following:

50 Deadliest Dieting Mistakes

1. Having a negative defeatist attitude.

2. Going on any diet that is NOT a manner of eating that you can adhere to for the rest of your life.

3. Believing that you can eat cabbage soup -- or any other low-cal, but monotonous fare -- every day for the rest of your life.

4. Obsessing over counting calories.

5. Weighing in too frequently.

6. Not drinking enough water.

7. Drinking sugar-laden drinks.

8. Eating more bread, pasta and potatoes than proteins, lean meats, fruits and vegetables.

9. Consuming processed foods more often than fresh foods.

10. Taking the benefits away from vegetables by overcooking them

11. Not having a plan.

12. Blaming others for your shortcomings.

13. Being quick to judge.

14. Not being aware of the nutritional benefits or detriments of what you consume.

15. Finishing every last bite of a meal, even after you are full.

16. Going back for seconds at meals.

17. Eating at "all-you-can-eat buffets" and consuming large amounts "to get your money's worth."

18. Skipping breakfast.

19. Starving all day.

20. Bingeing after "falling off the wagon" and then waiting until "tomorrow" to get back on track.

21. Thinking you are genetically destined to be fat.

22. Not believing that you have the courage to change.

23. Confusing "fat" as a personality trait.

24. Thinking you are unattractive.

25. Not living each day to the fullest... thinking that will come when you are thinner.

26. Wasting time.

27. Not finishing tasks you begin.

28. Postponing tasks that need attention.

29. Rationalizing.

30. Thinking pills, powders or potions are more powerful than they really are in achieving weight loss.

31. Thinking of exercise as a chore, instead of a way to improve your health and your life.

32. Not scheduling exercise as a vital part of your day and week.

33. Indulging excessively in alcohol.

34. Watching sports rather than participating in sports.

35. Watching too much television.

36. Not giving enough time to personal hygiene and appearance.

37. Refusing to read self-improvement materials on a regular basis.

38. Giving up and resigning yourself to being "fat."

39. Finishing the food off of your family's plates while you are doing the dishes.

40. Tasting and nibbling on food while you are cooking it.

41. Baking cookies, pies and cakes more often than for holidays or very special occasions.

42. Always having candy in dishes, supposedly for guests, but eating more of it yourself.

43. Buying unhealthy snack items "for the kids," but eating some yourself.

44. Not having vegetables and/or fruit with each meal.

45. Serving more carbohydrates than any other food group for meals.

46. Thinking that "dieting" sprees -- and not total lifestyle change -- will garner lasting weight loss results.

47. Not visualizing yourself actually living and enjoying a healthy lifestyle.

48. Not taking vitamins and proper supplements.

49. Consuming fast foods on a regular basis

50. Waiting for tomorrow to "get started" rather than RIGHT NOW!

Last edited by Monkeybabies; 03-03-2004 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #5  
2006 - Panda Remix

'manda -

Don't feel disgusted with yourself - instead be kind to yourself. What would you say to your best friend if she confessed to what you have done - be your own best friend!

Love Amanda xx
Old 03-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #6  

'manda, that's right we have all been there. just remember it is not the end of the world. pick yourself up and start again. no one said dieting is easy. nothing worth having ever is. if it were easy everybody would be thin and healthy. remember we all love you and you will definately be in my prayers. come here and talk to us as much as you need to.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Manda -

Girl, we've all been there. ME especially. I am the queen I always do good, then not so good. What I want you to do is learn from this. Maybe 1 cookie is never enough, so for right now, you shouldn't have cookies at all.

I did the same thing last night. At around 3:00, I added up my calories for the day so far and was shocked to realize that I was about 300 over where I am normally for that time of the day. I immedialtely ate something else. I knew lasagna was for dinner, I ate that, and the 2 1/2 rolls that came with it. But I used real butter instead of my ICBINB light Then of course later in the night I had a bowl of cereal and some almonds Why?? I just don't know!!! If I had seen that I was on track, would I have done better?? Maybe. Sometimes it's a crazy thing. I have been doing great. What caused me to have a bad night. I just don't know. I know the high carb dinner caused the late night snacking.

But today, I am back on track!! And that's what you need to do, jump back on and sweep yesterday under the rug!!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #8  

I agree with sandi. The hardest thing to break is the"oh well i blew it might as well eat everything in sight" cycle. Just remind yourself that a little over the limit is much better than WAY over the limit and its never to late to stop binging.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #9  

Been there, done that You've scolded yourself already, not get on with your life. You KNOW what to do.

Think of it this way ... if you were trying to housebreak a puppy, would you still be using harsh words the day AFTER caught him making a puddle on the floor? Why treat yourself more harshly than you'd treat an animal? Be nice to yourself. (((hugs))
Old 03-03-2004, 01:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Ditto to what everyone else is saying. Be your own best friend! You would treat your best friend gently so do so with yourself.

One of the things I've found helpful is to not have the foods I don't want to eat in the house or at least out of my reach. When the Girl Scout person came around, I gave her a $3 donation and told her I didn't want the cookies. So when I get stressed and want a cookie (many cookies!), I don't have any. I even asked my DH, who loves peanut butter, to put the peanut butter on a shelf I can't reach. If I really want it, I have to stand on a couple of tippy containers and reach way up--sometimes it's worth it, most of the time it's not.

While it's much easier said than done, figure out a strategy (or more than one) ahead of time to get through these stressful periods because they will keep on happening. Write it down and when you feel the urge to eat, go look at what you've written down and follow that strategy.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #11  

Thanks a lot, you guys (or girls).. I appreciate the words of wisdom and support.

I'm just having a bad time at eating this semester... with my work and class schedule, sometimes I only end up eating one meal a day (which is bad, I know)... so sometimes I don't eat a lot at dinner... or I eat too much... or I pig out later in my room because I'm so hungry. I'm going to try to work in at least an extra meal and some sort of healthy snack within the day so that I eat well/feel full and don't pig out on the bad stuff.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #12  

'Manda - I'm so proud of you for 'fessing up and coming for help rather than any number of things you could have done to make it worse. Everyone's given you great advice, so I'll just say hang in there!

You can do this!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Of course we understand!!!

You are certainly not the only one who posts here who has done this. And I'm a jerk, b/c reading your post, I thought, "Dang, if you're gonna binge, what an awesome thing to binge on, yummmmm"

I used to take an aerobics class, then come home & have a serving of the Samoa ice cream, as my 'reward' for working out--pretty freaking clueless. Now I know I can't be trusted w/my yummy ice creams in the house (Samoa, Chubby Hubby, Blueberry Cheesecake, New York Super Fudge Chunk--hey I'm not a big girl b/c I dont know what a good bowl of ice cream is. ) so instead my freezer is filled w/sherbets & sorbets.

You idea of eating more in the day is a great one--sneak in half a bagel & piece of fruit or an egg or something in the am, carrots or a salad for lunch, some yogurt, etc. All stuff you can just grab & go. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #14  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Manda, sh!t happens okay? Don't get stressed about it. We've all made mistakes and sadly sometimes we keep making them over and over again. It sounds like you know what the problem is so you really need to figure out how to change things in your life so that these things don't keep happening.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #15  

Definitely try to eat throughout the day, it really helps if you don't come home starving, looking for the first available food.

I bring an insulated lunchbag to school with tons of food for the day. When I got to the grocery store, I take a little time to cut up vegetables and wash fruit so I can grab it quickly inthe mornings. I bring yogurt and mix high fiber cereal into it, I bring string cheese, carrot sticks, red pepper strips, apples, oranges, etc. Leftovers from the previous night's dinner are an easy lunch for the next day.

It can be so rough when the scale is stuck at the same number for what feels like forever, but you've already lost 20 pounds, which is a HUGE accomplishment. You should be proud of what you've already achieved, don't let one bad day get you down.
Closed Thread