Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat and Support 2017

Trying to lose weight with Diabetes? Join us here!!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone! New Year, new beginning, and boy do I need it. Good for you, Trish for showing a loss for 2016. I am up 8 lbs according to my records on my online tracker. 11 pounds and I'm back to my all time high. That is unacceptable! I need to get down to business and get back into Onederland and get my blood sugar back under control. I just don't know what's gotten into me, but it's time for a change. I'm with you with wanting to lose 50 lbs this year. Ya know, Trish, a pound a week would do it!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-01-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Carol Sue and others who like me are trying to find their pathway to controlling diabetes and lose weight at the same time. My previous doctor always said "Any diet will work. You just have to find the one that you can live with". This is only One goad for me this year.

I go to see a diabetic dietitian Tuesday morning and I've decided what I want her to help me do. #1. I want a way of eating so that if I have a meal once or twice a week that is not going to derail me or add 5 lbs that is going to take me another week to get off. However, I want it to be healthy and moderately low carb, but not Atkins low.

#2 I want her to explain or help me to understand why my FBS goes down and my weight goes up or vice versa and how can I get the two going down at the same time.

#3 I DO NOT want a diet any more, I want a plan that can fit my lifestyle rather than a "diet" because a "diet" implies something I can stop if and when I reach my goals of normal FBS and weight.

I believe these are the 3 important things I need so that I can reach my long term goals and "stay there"... to maintain and be healthy and not end up back on this crazy roller coaster of yo-yo dieting that I have done for years.

My FBS was 135 this morning, but it was no surprise. I am so thankful that Trulicity works in a way that I do have to eat right and exercise for it to work the way I want it to work for me. It does not work like some of the other meds that will bring the BS down whether you diet and exercise or not. I just wish my previous doctor had helped me with it before. I hope I will be able to use it to get the diabetes under control and maybe I won't have to take it forever.

I will be changing my ticker today because I got a solid 218 this morning.

I agree Carol Sue New Year and New Beginning. We can do it.

My Daddy is doing really great. He has been able to get up and shower on his own before my sister gets there in the morning. He is good at using the walker that my deceased step-mother used. But I love how he stands tall and walks to go to the bathroom etc. It won't take him long to get back to normal. His shortness of breath seems to have stopped so hopefully that means the meds they are giving him is working. He has gone from 228 lbs when he went to the hospital Friday before last to 200.4 as of yesterday. So he is doing very well. We have an appointment for him with the Cardio PA Tuesday afternoon.

Y'all have a great day today.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 01-01-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #4  

Trish, I hope you have a good visit with the dietician. The one I saw in the hospital was not really helpful to me. She gave me a pamphlet for the recommendations of the ADA and we know they don't work for everyone. I hope this one listens to you and answers according to YOUR needs.

My long-time friend has lost about 30 lbs. She looks very nice, but I think she is eating extremely low calorie. I feel she may not be getting the necessary nutrients for a woman her age and wonder how long she is going to be able to sustain this WOE. But I can't say anything to her. She is one who is going to do what she wants, and I would just sound jealous if I said anything.

I wanted to show you what I saw online about Glimiperide. We know that you take it and it drops your blood sugar quickly, but most people don't realize that it says it is to be used along with diet and exercise.

Indications and Usage for Glimepiride

Glimepiride is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus

All diabetes meds that I have read about or seen advertised say that they work with diet and exercise, but most people don't do that. They just take the med and expect it to do it's work, and I am guilty of that, myself. I want to get back to my exercising but I have been so cold lately, and my exercise room is downstairs, where it's even colder. It's not actually my house that's cold, it's me. I know that once I start moving I will warm up, but it's just a chore to get me started. All my life I have been warmer than everyone else in the room, but now that's changed. I don't know why. I guess if I warm up, I will come up with some other excuse not to exercise. I have a long list of them. LOL

I'm so glad your Dad is improving so well! He's amazing. I hope his heart rate stays where it should be.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #5  

Happy New Years ladies!
Yeste day I started the year off right with a good walk and moving more,,,,my scale should have dropped 20 pounds overnight right?? Ha nooooo. Stayed the same. Ate too much good for me food.. I need to get a handle on portions once again. Scale is way up and my clothes are uncomfortable.
Trish that's a good plan!!
I cannot plan a meal that's not on plan cuz it leads to more and more....it's very hard for me to get back on track. When I was losing last summer if I wanted something off plan I took a bite or two not a whole plate or meal...I'm going back to that. Plus if it's not in the house I can't eat it...no more telling myself o I can portion that out....ummm no I can't.
That's my plan
Carol you are right about the diet and exercise....the drugs we take arn't cures for diabetes. Something we need to remember.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #6  

p.a. portions are a problem for me, too, and also snacking. I start out with a plan to just eat my meals, but then food shows up in my line of vision and I succumb. Bad habits that need to be changed. I too want to try not to get off plan too much for the same reason. Too hard to get back on plan. But I want my plan to be something I can live with the rest of my life without a feeling of deprevation.

Is it nice and cold up in your area?

I got back to exercising today. I exercised for 45 min. I didn't feel as cold today as I had been. I was wearing a tank top and capris and once I got moving I didn't feel cold at all. I did it while watching my favorite soap, and time just flew by. I did 5 min on the treadmill, 5 min on the recumbant bike, 5 minutes on the elliptical, and 30 pushes on my Bodyglide. I did 10 swings of the kettlebell and the rest of the time was spent on the weight machine. I did not break any intensity records. I hope I don't get sore, because that will discourage me from doing it again tomorrow. I ate too much again today, but I am finished eating for the day so I should have a good fast overnight.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-02-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 AM   #7  

I had a very good appointment with the dietician and a diabetic educator. I got the answers that I needed. The most important thing I wanted to leave understanding was my problem with "when my FBS reading is high and my weight is down and vice versa". I told her that it makes me feel like my diet isn't even working and I give up. And I got my answer. The educator told me that when our body does not use the insulin it holds on the fat and when we start trying to lose weight many times we are losing muscle instead of fat until our body learns to switch to burning the glucose. (I hope I'm explaining this right.) It is important to stay OP and keep exercising because even though it may look like nothing is happening weight wise while the FBS is coming down, it really is looking. She said as the FBS comes down the weight will eventually start to come down.

The dietician said that I am on the right track with my eating plan. She did tell me to eat 40 grams of carbs per meal and if I have a snack to eat 15 grams of carbs. She said on the days I exercise I could eat 1500 calories, but the days I do not exercise that I should eat only 1200 calories. She also suggested that I work up to 30 minutes 5 or 6 days a week, but 5 days would be okay. ADA recommends 150 minutes a week. The dietician said, "You are on the right track. Just keep doing what you are doing, work up to at least the 30 minute exercise 5 days a week and don't worry about whether you are losing weight or not. Just have faith that if you keep doing what you know you are to do, it will come together." She said it would be good for me if I could start thinking in terms of "what you are doing is making you healthy whether you lose weight or not".

I really felt like I left with hope, because it was encouraging to know that I am doing the right things. I was on kind of a high any way this morning because my weight was back down to 217.8 which is where I was before we started packing to move and we were eating out more than we were eating home cooked meals. Now anything I lose will be in new territory. Plus my FBS is still coming down a little bit at a time. The educator recommended that I stop eating each day about 30 minutes earlier than I do. However, it isn't going to be easy to do that as long as I'm having to go cook for Daddy.

Speaking of Daddy, we went to see the cardiology PA and he is doing better but is still in Atrifib so they are going to do the cardioversion next Tuesday morning at 9 am. We think he is having an allergic reaction to one of his meds but it is the one med he has to stay on until the procedure as it prepares him for what we are calling the zap. It will help his heart beat to stay in rhythm so they added 1 Benadryl 3 times a day to help with the itching. Hopefully when we come home next Tuesday he will be well on his way to being normal again.

Well, I'm tired so I will close for now. I am so glad Daddy is going to be okay and I came here to be there for him for things like this, but my sister and I will be so glad when he can do for himself again. I get up so early to do what I need to do before I go over there and then come home and work to get laundry etc done before I go to bed and both of us girls are wiped out. However, I don't really complain because I am so thankful to still have him and I want to help him learn how to take proper care of himself so he doesn't have a heart attack or stroke.

Good night everyone. Y'all have a great Wednesday.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #8  

Trish, it's good that you and your sister are doing so much to help your Dad. When we are young, our parents take care of us, then when they get old, we take care of them. The difference is that it's harder to take care of them when we are much older, too. Be sure to take care of yourself, too, and get help for him if it's needed. They have agencies that will send someone to help, and insurance usually pays for it.

That diet sound so much like the diet they gave me in the hospital. Like I said before, it worked at first, but I guess I veered off from it and it stopped working. Good luck to you. The one thing I had to remember was that the 40 gm of carb is not necessarily starchy carbs. It included things like milk and veggies and fruit, as they are carb. I still avoided starchy carbs when I could. If I had bread it was one thin slice, like the Sara Lee bread we used to buy. I just recently came across that diet booklet. It was called Consistent Carb. I think that meant to keep your carb intake steady throughout the day. Portions are key.

My friend who lost the 30 lbs had her A1c checked again and it was 6.4, down from 7.1. She does not check her blood sugar and eat 80 gm of carb per day.

Why does she want you to stop eating 30 min earlier? When do you stop now? 30 min isn't such a big time difference. Maybe your dad can eat a little earlier. What did she say about you delaying breakfast?

It's interesting information. I just hope it works for you. I'm curious to hear how it goes. Good luck with this!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #9  

Carol Sue, I stop eating by 8 most of the time, but sometimes it is a little later. I go so long between 3 meals that I really don't worry about it. I think she probably thought I was eating too close to bedtime, but I don't go to bed until midnight or later. I didn't tell them how late I eat breakfast.

I really am not worried any more about those things. I mostly couldn't understand why the weight and FBS wouldn't come down together. I only eat between 1200 to 1400 calories a day and I'm doing pretty good so I will just keep doing what I am doing. I got a lot of exercise today with riding the recumbent bike 30 minutes and then walking about that long at the store and I had less than 1400 calories today. I had to make myself eat to get to the 1200 and ended up eating around 1300. I dropped another 1.4 lbs this morning, but I don't change ticker until my official WI day Sunday or Monday. My FBS is staying in the 130s. They told me that the stress of taking care of my Daddy will cause my FBS to up a little bit. I guess it is stress but I really don't think of it that way. However, the stress I guess I feel is trying to figure out what to cook for him and us. If all goes well and everything goes the way they seem to imply they will, Daddy should be able to take care of himself and get back to his normal life sometime next week after they do the cardioversion procedure.

If left to my own, I would not be eating a whole lot. Today I actually had to make myself eat to get over 1200 calories. I'm not sure that is wise, but that is what they say I have to do to keep from going into a starvation mode. Strange isn't it?

I'm tired and rambling so I'm going to bed.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #10  

What do you eat in a normal day? I think my friend who lost the 30 lbs eats very low calorie, maybe even under 1000. One time I asked her what she eats but didn't count it up. She said she eats cereal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and then maybe a finger salad for lunch, with some dip. If she eats any meat, it's chicken, but doesn't usually eat any meat. Sometimes she has some yogurt or cottage cheese. I have heard that starvation mode is a myth, but they say if you eat fewer than 1200 calories you aren't getting all your nutrients. And I think people who just eat the same thing day after day don't get all their nutrients, either. Some people don't care about nutrients, just want to lose weight.

I think I will start tracking again and see what my calories are. I don't usually count them, just watch carbs.

On my Fitbit, it says that I burn between 1500-1800 calories per day. But on Fitday, it says I burn 3000. I think Fitday is wrong. Usually I can lose weight if I stay below 1500 calories.

My FBS doesn't usually correlate with my weight. I remember when Rennie posted here she used to complain about the same thing. My FBS has been way up lately. I am working toward getting it to come back down.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #11  

I asked my friend what exactly she eats. She gave me some samples of what she eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and when I entered it in Fitday, it only came to around 600 calories per day. I truly don't feel that is enough to be healthy, but I won't tell her that. I don't think she could be getting her needed nutrients. I just keep my mouth shut. She has lost weight and I haven't, so I have no room to talk. I don't think I would go below 1000 calories. With what I have been eating lately, there's no risk of that! LOL
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #12  

Carol Sue I will share with you what I normally eat when I'm not having to take care of Daddy. Right now while taking care of him my breakfast and main meal isn't any different from the way I eat when life is normal.

B - 1 serving eggbeater type substitute (I use store brand)
1 slice Canadian bacon, or turkey bacon
a pinch of shredded mozzarella skimmed milk cheese
2 slices of 45 calorie multigrain bread or 1 Thomas light Eng. muffin
I use Pam type spray instead of butter or any oil
2 c coffee with Splenda

L - 4 oz protein, salad, a vegetable (low carb not starchy) and
an 8 oz glass of Lactose FF milk. At home I use Lite Vinegrette,
however, I have been having EVOO and ACV with Daddy, but no
longer. I will explain in a moment.

D - protein and vegetable and 1 oz Lightly salted chips

S - Skinnycow ice cream sandwich

Today I learned what was causing the diarrhea that I was having a while back. I haven't experienced it in quite some time, but today it hit me soon after dinner (main meal at Daddy's). At first I thought it was the broccoli because my baby sister told me she can it broccoli raw but not cooked. But then I thought "I eat cooked broccoli a lot lately with no problem". So I knew that was not the problem. The only thing I had introduced back into my plan was the EVOO and ACV. While it could be the combination, I am not willing to experiment to find out. I told DH that I would be eating the salad without any dressing at all while I'm eating it at Daddy's. I want him to have the EVOO and ACV and I don't want to take the dressing over there as it is just too much trouble. I have noticed that if I overdo fat that I have that kind of reaction but not as strong as I did with the EVOO.

My exercise is good. I've got three days for this week done and will probably exercise again Saturday as I won't have time tomorrow. In fact, I'm headed to bed early tonight as I have to meet Daddy and my sister at the hospital Outpatient at 8:15 in morning. They are going to be admitting Daddy in to some kind of class where he has to go have lab work etc at 8:30 and then attend some type of cardiac class at 9:30 where they will teach him how to eat and live to take care of his heart. We were told we could be there 4 hrs. Not sure if the whole thing takes 4 hrs or if the class is 4 hrs making a 5 hr day. However, DS told Daddy that if it went too long and he gets tired that we would leave early.

My weight is inching down and so is my FBS. Right now they are coming down together. Weight down another .4 lbs and the FBS down 3 pts from yesterday. It is nice to see them go down together. Today was my 4th injection.

Carol Sue, I think 600 calories is too low for your friend, but I agree that it is working for her and I hope it will not be a problem for her in the long run. One thing I do like about the calorie counting that I am doing right now is that while not all my snack choices at night are not what they normally would be, they are within my 1200 - 1500 calorie count and even within my carb and fat count. I know that things will get better in time and I also know that my exercise will also help.

I'm not too sure about the calories they say we earn, I try not to use those for eating calories. I always think there can be errors in the counts and hopefully by not using the earned calories they will balance out any error.

Guess I better get into bed as 6:15 comes early since I'm not use to getting up that early any more. And it is going to be in the high 20s in the morning. I am really dreading next Tuesday as we have to be at the hospital for Daddy to be admitted at 7 am so they can do the cardioversion. However, if they are telling us the truth, Daddy should be fine after that is done.

p.a. How is that new grandbaby?

Goodnight.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #13  

Trish, I don't know how long my friend will continue this very low calorie eating. She has lost weight in the past but eventually falls off the wagon and gains some back. However, this time it was connected to her A1c. It has been at 7.1 for two years. She refused meds, and will not test. Her doctor accepted that. Finally last year her A1c was 8.4. She eats a lot of packaged foods and told me she looks at the sugar content. I told her she has to look at carb content, so she started that. She said she went down to 150 carbs per day, and her A1c went back to 7.1. She had lost 10 lbs. Then she lowered her carbs farther down to 80 per day, and lost 20 more lbs, and now her A1c is 6.4. Still with no meds and no testing. She does a lot of walking and lives in a 3 story townhouse so gets a lot of stairs up and down all day, and that's good exercise. Because of her A1c, I don't know if she will ever fall off the wagon again. I wouldn't mind succeeding like she did, but she lives alone and doesn't have to deal with someone else's eating patterns. She has me psyched and I really want to work harder on this.

Your meal plan sounds so much healthier than hers and I could take some pointers from you, too. I used to buy egg substitute that was Walmart brand and they tasted the most like real eggs than any other I tried, but then I went back to eating regular eggs instead. I did that because my cholesterol was down to 124 which I think it even a little too low. So I figured it must be true that eggs don't raise cholesterol, so I went back to eating them. I stopped buying bacon again because I just didn't like it. I might try buying turkey bacon and see if I can sneak it past DH. He says he wouldn't want turkey bacon, but might eat it if he doesn't know that's what it is. I can tell him I picked it up by mistake and see what he says. We stopped eating real bacon because it tastes too salty. He still gets it when we eat out. Also, when we have it at home, he wants to prepare a half a package. I told him you just need 2 strips to go with your eggs, not a half package. Anytime he cooks he prepares way too much. Then guess who eats it rather than waste it? LOL

I never believed in earned calories. To me, they are just calories burned, and I don't think we burn as many calories as we think we do. The exercise just contributes to better muscle tone, which helps burn more calories. That's just my opinion.

I hope your Dad does will with his class. 4 hours will probably go fast and he should be OK. He will learn what he has to do.

I think you might be right about too much fat in your diet. That could be my problem, too, but so far I can't pin it down to any one thing.

Good luck to you, and all.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #14  

Yesterday was very tiring. We got to hospital admitting office before our 8:30 am appointment and got in pretty quick. Turned out we were being pre-admitted for the cardioversion to be done Tuesday morning. No one seemed to know anything about the so called class in Cardio clinic.

So we got admitted for the procedure and then they sent us to Outpatient Services where Daddy signed some paper work. While doing that we were told that CHF would meet up with us somewhere along the way as Daddy had to have an x-ray and then go for blood work. This man who has only been out of the hospital for a little over a week and has had very little therapy (2x a week which we were told would be 3x) was allowed to walk all over the hospital to get to the places he had to go. No one offered a wheel chair and he refused to stop to rest. Thank God he owns a walker that he chose to use when he came home.

Long story short, I honestly believe no one remembered that he had an appointment with CHF clinic yesterday until my BIL went down there while he was waiting for DD, DS and me to arrive. He went to ask about where we were to go and what time. They said the nutrition class is in 2 weeks so we assumed we weren't going to have it. I think when CHF realized they had goofed, they got busy and sent someone to take care of us. We had to go back to admitting to be admitted for that, but the CHF RN, dietician or whatever she is took care of that. We spent a good 4 hrs in the clinic and DD and my DS and I were worn out when we got through. I had to come get DH and we went back and bought fast food for our dinner. I was just too tired to cook. Still tired today even after a good nights sleep, but am going to go cook dinner and get DD meds ready and then come on back home. DD and DS are tired too. She went to do lunch for him like she does and then afternoon and dinner and evening is my turn.

Weight has stopped at 216.8 right now and FBS is in 130s. I'm thinking very seriously about doing SBD when DD is back to his independence again. He is really itchy for it and I pray he will be able to after the procedure is done Tues.

Oh, by getting a Wendy's classic hamburger with no cheese, pickle or ketchup, his burger went from 980 mg sodium down to 480. Interesting isn't it?

BBL Have a nice day.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #15  

What a day, Trish! I hope you all get some needed rest.

Nothing much new on my end. I ate well today so far, but evening is here.......
Closed Thread