Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 04-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - April Fools tradition popularized (1700, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The day was spent watching the weather waver between rain and snow. We wake this morning with a thin but very wet snow layer covering everything. Each step outside will be squishy. This is when we have to remember that we love New England. My accomplishment was to exit the supermarket without any Easter hot-cross buns, CREDIT moi.

DW made meatloaf for dinner - one of my absolutely favorite foods. But she only makes it about once a year since we don't eat that much red meats. My accomplishment, CREDIT moi, was to eat a reasonable portion. That means that there are enough leftovers for a second meal. I already drool, LOL.

maryann - I'm with you on this, "I just need greater moderation." Glad the leg is healing.

nationalparker – "Zuppa di riso al pomodoro" sounds good. 'Zuppa' sounds much more yummy than soup, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#5: The All-or-Nothing Trap

Next Jeffrey and I made a list of his "bad" foods and planned when he was going to have a moderate portion of some of them in the coming week. We also discussed the importance of his eating them without guilt. Jeffrey made the following list.
Planning to Eat Favorite Foods

1. Stop labeling some foods as bad.

2. This week, have a moderate portion of one favorite food every day.
Monday: One beer while watching the game
Tuesday: Half portion of french fries (plus hearty salad) at fast food restaurant
Wednesday: Single-serving bag of chips at lunch
Thursday: A candy bar
Friday: Two beers at McCloskey's
Saturday: One beer and half portion of pasta at restaurant
Sunday: One ice cream treat
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 215
Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Morning coaches!
I kept meaning to post and but was quite busy at work, and then somehow I get caught up at things at home. My morning routine is altered a bit since i can’t eat or drink anything for an hour after i take this stomach med, plus I need to do these leg stretches for PT. I have 90 minutes from waking to leaving so its all a bit rushed! Yay for the weekend when i can take my time.
I may meet a work friend for coffee today depending on the weather since there’s sort of a storm going on. There is a lot of changes at work so I would love a good gossip about it!

Bill- I love meatloaf too. Can your DH use turkey so you can have it more often? I know some folks like my DH feel that is sacrilege but i really like turkey meat.
Nationalparker- so glad you had a good visit with your brother. Believe me, having loving company is the best medicine, you don’t have to do anything else but just be! Good idea about the scholarships. Every bit helps!
Maryann- Great job on the 4 pounds! And sticking to your Lent penance. My DH did that one year for “fun” and stayed off alcohol, i was impressed! We aren’t Catholic but he wanted to join in.
Lexiss-I bet the loyal customers will still make their way there! Good to hear from you, as usual you have so much on your plate!
Karenrn- I’m envying your weather now, it is really still winter here. Otis sure keeps you busy!
New lifestyle- glad you had a nice vacation!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Drat. Lost a big post. That hasn't happened in a while. Oh well. Credit for taking the time to write it. That has therapeutic benefits in itself.

Exercise this morning and a good breakfast. I was invited to give a 15 minute pitch on emotional sobriety at a local convention. So I need to get to it.

Wave to all.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan, but I did dip into fitness points yesterday and gained .8 this week. Yesterday was a 6 1/2 mile hike with 2 friends, who are not well matched on hiking. Guess who was in the lead . . . Hiking Suzanne. I tried to stay in the middle so the other gal, who is newer to hiking wouldn't feel like she shouldn't have come. Hiking up the hills is so much more difficult that walking on flat ground, add a rocky surface and it definitely slows a newbie down.

Today my exercise is just dog walking and some housework. The dog has been walked and beds soon to be made. I'll save the vacuuming until dh gets home from his golf lesson so he can entertain Otis outside. Yesterday I walked Otis after my hike and we had to pass by a Bobcat (equipment) dumping dirt into a large container (can't think of the name). Anyway, Otis was totally freaked out and even though I carried him my abdomen is a bit scratched from his freaking out. Luckily no scary stuff on our walk today.

I have multiple social events this week, so it will be challenging. I can eat anything, but I must be careful about portions. Probably tomorrow's get together with co-workers will be the most difficult.

Maryann Ooh I hate when long posts are lost. Good luck in preparing for your presentation.

Curlyjax I hate to say it but I always did love to hear some good work gossip. Tomorrow we are getting together with my former co-workers. Three of us are now retired, but we still hear news from the other two.

Bill We both love meat loaf at our house. We should cluck like chickens for as much poultry as we eat. Dh doesn't really like fish, so we don't have much, but we do tend to eat beef about once a week or so.

Everybody have a great weekend!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Hans Christian Andersen born (1805, Odensk, near Copenhagen)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Today is also International Children's Book Day. My heart just flutters when I watch my 18 month-old DGD flip through a book. Yesterday she yanked a book away from me, sat down on the floor nearby, and slowly pulled up each flap on each page. Then, due to the inconvenience that she can't read, she'd turn to me to read the hidden words. But she had full control of the situation. Such joy discovering books and words.

Exercise was chasing the DGD on an extra visit so her parents could do something. My arms get stronger each visit with the multiple lifting up and down. Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, at an evening pot-luck event where, from vegetarian choices, I served myself only one plate - even when others went back for seconds. I did have a modest dessert which I declared to be my evening snack. That trade off works for me. Entertainment was watching Grand Hotel from 1932 with Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, and (young, thin) John Barrymore. So long ago and far away.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for writing a post even if the Internet gods gobbled it. Congrats on being selected for that 15 minute presentation.

Karen (karenrn) - Alas, someone has to tell you that Otis must be the world's most spoiled dog, LOL. Just love that you schedule vacuuming so that your DH can take him away from the noise. Kudos, as always, for all the good hiking.

curlyjax - ". . . there’s sort of a storm going on" indeed. It went on all day creating slush everywhere. [Thanks for the tip to use turkey meat in meatloaf.]

Readers -
Quote:

Then Jeffrey made himself a couple of reminder cards:
It has never worked for me to have "good" foods and
"bad" foods, because whenever I eat a "bad" food,
I give myself permission to keep eating off track.
And telling myself I'm totally off track leads to
eating more and more "bad" foods and staying
off track.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 215
Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
It really wasn’t bad yesterday, just slushy, so i was able to meet my co worker for a good chat. It makes me realize i should just stay where i am for a bit longer and not try for any other job in the agency. She also talked to me about colleges which was helpful. Always nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat!
DH and I have been watching Escape to the Country or something like that on Netflix. Its like house hunting, only in Great Britain, and its fun to see the beautiful countryside, some of which we will see this summer. Also some of the houses are quite different; I enjoy the whole GB perspective.

Bill- babies enjoying books is definitely the best! I have very fond memories of both babies doing that. They have definite opinions about which books they want to read, over and over!
Maryann-I’m sure you will do a great job at your convention, good for you.
Karenrn-Social eating is challenging, but nice to have the opportunity too. i remember you saying it was feast or famine there.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #8  

Good Morning, Coaches.

My 15 minutes pitch went well and I ended up staying a half day at the AA convention. When I was single I spent many many hours at those things. I'm glad they are there but I'm also glad I have a life to which I can go back home. There were times I didn't.

Still fighting the cold. Scale is stuck and it is hard not to blame the cold medicine. (Of course, it couldn't be the dark chocolate and peanut butter.) Sunday is family day so we are going to go back to the ranch and we are going to play on the small D2 tractor DH bought for DS. By play I mean learn to drive and by small I mean larger than a car. I'm scared to drive it but it is important for DS to get comfortable around the machines.

I have had a healthy breakfast and I will walk around the ranch for exercise.

Breakfast is meatloaf sandwiches for the boys. Dinner is homemade chili that looked very soupy so I added a bunch of brown rice. I liked to have precooked meals for Sunday so I don't spend the day in the kitchen.

KarenRN: A slight up in the scale can be discouraging but its great to checkin every week so you'll be careful for the week. Even If I feel I'm not making progress I really am doing a heck of a job not gaining. I looked at my weight stats and I have lost 2 pounds in the last five years. All the statistics show that people gain an average of 1 pound a year. That means I am seven pounds down. A success!
BBE:I thought how much I miss my 3 yo DS. So precious. So glad I worked part time all those years.
curleyjax: You are going to love Great Britain. It was exactly a year ago I was in Ireland. An unforgettable trip.

Last edited by maryann; 04-02-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #9  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Have rolled with the flow this weekend - the sunshine helps my outlook. Internet was out for hours yesterday. This afternoon I've started my cooking prep for the week ... turkey Italian sausage and veg soup which is wayyy better than it sounds. I was so hesitant to try it and now that's become the fave here. Also trying out that zuppa with tomato base and rice. I had to look up the difference between zuppa and minestre in Italian and sounds like over the years it's faded a bit into either/or ... (Silverbirch, can you set me straight on that?) I think we heard zuppa more but saw minestre on menus more? Planned on chicken pot pie with spelt biscuits for dinner, but I think I'll hold on that since i don't want to be in the kitchen for the rest of the evening. I hear you, Maryann!

Bought a legit food processor yesterday. I was going to order from Amazon and DH looked around online and found it $30 cheaper at Macy's, so I headed up there for the exact same one - the Consumer Report best buy. So, this afternoon DH grated carrots, sliced carrots, celery, grated potatoes to go in the soup base, and he's chomping at the bit to cut up more. I, however, haven't read the instruction manual, so haven't used it yet. That's how we roll. He figures it out and I read the instructions.

Finished up the taxes and in review I had a few questions, so that caused more IRS reading, and additional HSA contributions to come in this grace period. I don't like leaving this to the "end" ...

Food has been healthy but have added in a few treats today, nothing grand, but just not 100% on plan. Lunch was random guac, pico, chicken drumstick, a handful of organic tortilla chips and green beans. Little cohesion. And not enough water at all this weekend. That will be my goal for this week - focus on that.

CurlyJax - We, too, use ground turkey in meatloaf but on this new plan I've not made it but once. With no added sugars, that knocked out my bbq/ketchup adds into it, but have made my own ketchup that DH likes with xylitol. I should try that on a half pan in case it's bad.

Bill - Ahh, children and books is such a magical combo. After reading one of the books to a four-year old on my trip home, she lifted it up and announced, "I may read this myself, please!" and took off to sit alone and "read" it again. Made my heart sing.

Karen - My DH jokes that singly, I'm knocking out the poultry population because I only buy chicken/turkey. I can't argue. That's good of you to ensure that your other friend felt like she "belonged" and not that she shouldn't have gone on the hike and slowed you down. We all need those kinds of lift ups.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Coaches.

A quick note this evening to declare I'm back OP. I don't know what got into me but I ate a few things I haven't eaten in months. Then, of course, my stomach was upset so I tried to calm it with other things i haven't eaten in months. Now I just want to start over. It is only a few minutes of bad choices at the end of a week of good choices. At the convention, somebody told me "I was getting thin again." This of course makes me think "When did I get fat again?" Maybe my eating was a reaction to that. I am very rebellious for a people pleaser.

In any case, I want to feel healthy. I can start my day over at any minute. Here I go.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick note before bedtime. Yesterday our friend came and spent the night. She lives in Vancouver B. C. and here and had renters in her place until today. It was so funny because she was around a few times when we first got Otis and then back to B. C. We talk on Skype, so Otis has heard her voice every week or two. He was just crazy about her. Luckily she likes him a lot too.

This morning dh and I headed out to hike Tom's Thumb, his idea. He hasn't hiked since Peru a year ago. In spite of that he beat me up the hill. Downhill is not good for him, though, so I did beat him down the hill. It was a beautiful day and we both enjoyed it.

I made strawberry pie with a cream cheese/Cool Whip filling to take to a dinner with co-workers. I cut down on the calories with the Cool Whip and lite cream cheese and everyone loved it. I also took a box of See's chocolates in case somebody needed chocolate. I was very mindful of portions and didn't have any alcohol. Dinner was a seafood lasagna and lots of good vegetables and salad. it was delicious and always is with this group.

I have trailhead greeter duty tomorrow morning and hope to get Otis out for a walk before I leave at 7:30. Personals tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
I had to look up the difference between zuppa and minestre in Italian and sounds like over the years it's faded a bit into either/or ... (Silverbirch, can you set me straight on that?) I think we heard zuppa more but saw minestre on menus more?
nationalparker, thank you, I'm flattered to be asked. There's probably a book waiting to be written about all of this!

Bear in mind that food differs across regions of Italy, that in Italy people speak different languages/dialects, that immigrants to America came from different places and weren't particularly literate. So it's not surprising that there's such a variation in words to do with food. What's more, once a word is out there, being used by people who don't speak the language, well, anything can happen!

Zuppa is vegetable soup with (toasted) bread or croutons. It was a food for the poor, with the bread having its origins in the 'trencher' of bread used in the mediaeval period as a plate/dish. It is generally thicker than minestra and never contains rice or pasta.

Minestra
(plural: minestre) includes vegetables but also rice, pasta or barley.

Have a look at this. It's in Italian but you could put it into translation software if you need to.

Hope this helps. Buon appetito!

In other news, I am doing well on exercise but not well on food. I'm eating broadly low carb but not enough to lose weight. Once upon a time, maryann and I were about the same weight. Not now, I'm afraid. [Have tried to write more but it's not working so I'll stop here.] Off to do 30 minutes of exercise which will stretch out the body. It will really appreciate it after yesterday's work of rebuilding a kindling store, lugging a lot of wood/timber about and cutting the lawn.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-03-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Pony Express debuts (1860, St. Joseph, MO and Sacramento, CA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. I had an excuse to drive instead because I had some papers to carry. They easily slipped into a backpack, Duh! Crocuses were sticking up through the snow along with Snowdrops. Visually it was Spring.

Eating was OK. We had the leftover meatloaf which, when DW asked, I acknowledged was more dry than usual. She only buys hamburger with the least fat; that just isn't right for meatloaf which needs the fat. She'll try again. And she agreed to try it with turkey, so thanks for that tip.

silverbirch – Kudos for keeping up with the exercise even as you work on the food. Thanks for the clarification between 'zuppa' and 'minestre'. I love that the automatic translation for the link you gave translated them the same to produce such sentences as "The first and only major distinction between soup and soup." (La prima e unica distinzione importante tra zuppa e minestra.)

maryann - Playing on a small D2 tractor sounds like just the best. LOL at "When did I get fat again?"

nationalparker – Yay for a food processor and Double Yay for buying from a brick and mortar store. I recognize the notion of lunch being 'random.'

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion that Otis has long distance friends. Kudos for "was very mindful of portions."

curlyjax - Congrats for ignoring the slush to have a nice lunch with a co-worker.

Readers -
Quote:

Then Jeffrey made himself a couple of reminder cards: . . .
There's no food I can eat when I'm off track that
I can't also eat when I'm on track. And when I eat
it on track, I enjoy it much more because I don't
feel guilty about eating it.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 216
Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Thanks for the clarification between 'zuppa' and 'minestre'. I love that the automatic translation for the link you gave translated them the same to produce such sentences as "The first and only major distinction between soup and soup." (La prima e unica distinzione importante tra zuppa e minestra.)
Oh yes! Machine translation is just bonkers. Humans are so much better at nuances.

to everyone and good luck today!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Woke up with 8 hours OP. The easiest hours are the ones when I am sleeping I have faced the music with the scale and now will move on. Breakfast and lunch planned. Gym is planned.

Last night I did not sleep well. First night without cough medicine. Probably withdrawals. My sponsor use to say "You'll sleep when you sleep." I think for me that is true. I will not die of lack of sleep. (I know, I know I have seen those horrible documentaries of people who can't sleep. It is not me. I'm not the exception.) Drowsy and cranky, I am grateful that I don't have to feel like starting my day. I just have to start my day. My older sister just retired last week at 58. She sold her house in California and moved to Baltimore to be closer to grandkids. That is not me either. Work keeps me in the mainstream of life for now. So does a 14yo DS. There will be a time I'll move on but for today I'll show up for the work I'm supposed to do.

If I could, I would send you all the video of DS and I racing D2 tractors in the orchard. I must admit I was nervous but it really was fairly easy.

silverbirch: Always good to hear from you. Hard to conceive of a time when wheat and rice were luxuries.

BBE: My book says meatloaf is have pork, half beef. That is WAY too complicated for me to pull off.
KarenRn: I bet it is nice to keep up some of the work connections.

Last edited by maryann; 04-03-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Closed Thread