Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #8

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Guess I will be the one to start a new thread since no one has visited the flower patch since I was here last. It's a cloudy but "warm" 37 degrees and the snow continues to melt today. I'm hoping to go for a walk later this afternoon.

Not much is going on -- I'm waiting for the dryer to finish, have some ironing to do, and plan to wash the lights and fan blades before the day is done.

Hope you all are having a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa
Old 02-23-2004, 01:23 PM   #2  

Good afternoon ladies!

It is cool here right now though it is supposed to be near 60. Maybe I am just cold!

I went to the gym this am and did the treadmill and will do again when Jack gets home and goes with me, did some house chores including the laundry then ran to the bank across town and got out some money. I am a cheapskate I hate to pay other banks my money just for using their ATM. We always take about $100 in cash when we travel so I got that out along with some spending cash.

I am going to the eye doctor tomorrow and getting extended wear contacts. Hope they will work for me. I wear the daily wear ones now, but years ago I had the others and they would come out of my eyes at night and I would find them on my pillow the next morning.

Well, I guess I better find something to do and then I have to go get Jack in a couple hours.

Faye
Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is chilly in the house tonight -- kind of damp although nothing is falling from the sky yet. The fog is supposed to settle in tonight and tomorrow morning.

It was a typical Monday at school; some skipped (one girl has been "sick" the last 5 Mondays in a row -- how dumb does she think we are?) and some are just there physically but not mentally. I'd love to see what some of these kids do over the weekend to be so droopy on Mondays.

DH has a meeting at church tonight so we ate early. There's nothing on TV so guess I may do some more ironing. When I have several of his dress shirts ironed, DH will always say, "gee, I had such a hard time deciding what to wear today!"

"Gma" -- I love the money machine! DH didn't want a card so every once in awhile he has to use mine and he makes such a big to-do over it. We have a drive up machine or can go to the bank lobby which is open 24/7. Our bank just sent us/me a new card and it is also a debit and credit card as well as being an ATM card. He likes to carry cash while I very rarely carry much. Years ago when I taught in a low income school, the principal advised to never leave cash in our purses or in our rooms. Our high school librarian had her billfold stolen a few years ago and the custodian found it at the bottom of the trash can in the boys restroom. Nothing was taken except the money, which was fortunate. Knock on wood, the kids I work with are honest and wouldn't bother anything on or in my desk without asking first.

Hope you all have had a good day. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #4  

Jean: We have a checkcard too and I now rarely carry cash unless I know I am going somewhere that won't take credit. The only thing is I watched Today show a few days ago and I guess Walmart filed a class action suit and won regarding these check/debit cards. Within the next three years, anyone who is now accepting the check cards as credit cards will no longer be doing do but you will have to put your pin number in the machine. What is boils down to is when you use it as a credit card, the retailer has to pay a fee, when you use it as a debit and put in your pin they charge YOU the fee instead of the retailer. I guess some Walmarts have already started refusing to take them as credit cards. I told Jack the first time that happened with me, I would say, "Fine, we don't want any of this so cancel it and you can put it all away." Then I won't shop there. I like not having to pay a fee all the time. I mean these places can dollar you to death and I use my check card a HUGE amount.

Just got back from the eye doctor for Jack. My appt was a total mess. I went and sat for 45 minutes only to find out the insurer didn't have me listed so they couldn't see me. Now this place is a good half hour from home! I wasted about 2 hours for nothing and come to find out they had the wrong ss# for Jack.

Well, we are going to get a bite to eat.

Later ladies,

Faye
Old 02-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Default Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is raining ~ raining ~ raining here and I love it! Not much else going on around here and that is that.

I know you do know that debit cards are the same as cash and checks are just as good but those folks who own the stores want to get a cut out of us don't they. Where debit cards aren't being allowed we just write a check. Sameo - sameo. I refuse to pay a fee to draw money out of those machines or when I use a card. The bank doesn't charge us to get money there so we try always to have checks in our pocket and a bit of cash and the card.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon,Flowers!
It's been another cloudy day in my neighborhood! I am ready and waiting for the sunshine! It was an interesting day at school today; we have two students on out-of-school suspension. One told another teacher to shut up twice, while the other one shoved a kid into a locker on purpose. Then we have an in-school who chose to skip school today. They went and picked her up so she was not a happy person to be around! I am getting tired of raising other people's kids! These kids have no manners, feel they don't have to be accountable for anything, and act like they are being abused when you expect assignments to be done daily. The parents just say they can't control them and whatever happens, "oh well!" Makes me !

"Gma" -- Our WM has always had the debit machine where I had to put in the pin number. However, we just got our bank statement today so I will look and see if they charged me a fee. Like you, I won't use the card there if they do. I'd rather not shop there at all but when it's the only place in town for some things, I have no choice. What an annoying trip to the eye doctor!

Maggie -- You've been having alot of haven't you? Or is that the norm for this time of year? Are you working on your glass projects again?

I did go to WW last night. I was really disappointed and only showed a loss of .8#. I thought I had done much better than that! This is a new week so onward and downward! It's chilly outside but think I will change clothes and head out for a walk.

Hope you have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Back

JEAN yes I am working on my glass village to enlarge it. Don't fret about your small loss for it is in the right direction. The school system is sure in trouble because the parents aren't holding up their responsibilty to raise them. It isn't the teachers job to parent them! Jean those kids are headed for trouble if they don't get a grip now. Our prisions are already over flowing with folks that think that what you have should be theirs without working for it. And if you have it they can take it. Leaches on our society.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is shining brightly, it's a nice 37 degrees outside, no wind, and the snow continues to melt. It doesn't get much better than that! I am ready for the weekend even though I know I shouldn't wish the time away.

Maggie -- Well, the special ed. consultant had a meeting with the special ed. teachers to work on a plan of action for the "famous five" who seem to think the rules don't apply to them, either do no work or hand it in days late, skip school, etc. One suggestion was to restrict them to whatever room they are in; they can go no where and had better stop at the restroom and drinking fountain on their way to class. The main problem with that is that the men teachers are much more lenient about letting them leave during study halls/classes even though they will be interrupting whatever room they want to go to. Another suggestion was to limit their social contact before and after school. Then at lunch time they would be restricted to an empty classroom and we would take turns babysitting them. I really don't like the idea of giving up my 27 (minus 8 minutes travel time) minutes of social contact with other teachers during lunch. I really think I would be kind of growly if that plan comes to be. Some of them are 16 or older so could drop out. They are all Mexicans with an attitude so I don't know what the answer is. I think all have been in trouble with the law and staying in school is probably part of their probation requirement.

I need to figure out what is for supper as DH has a meeting tonight! I wish I had a cook! *sigh* Have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-26-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:47 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Smile Weigh Day Report

GOOD AFTERNOON

I am one happy camper this day for I showed a MAINTAIN which was totally unexpected. I made myself a 10 week goal to lose 10 pounds by May 3rd. March is going to be a better OP month for me than Feb. has.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:50 AM   #10  

Good Evening!
I am heading off to bed but wanted to check in here first. I'm so glad it is Friday and the weekend has begun! We made a flying trip to Sioux City after school. DH wanted to go to SAM's and I had to stop at Target. I also wanted to pick up the Pampered Chef items that I need to deliver around here. We were able to spend about an hour with each grandchild . . . not long enough but at least we got to see them.

Maggie -- Congrats on the maintain . . . better than a gain any day! I agree that March is going to be a losing month! We can do this together!

I have got to clean, clean, clean tomorrow. I don't know how everything just piles up during the week . . . yes, I do know . . . I don't do much during the week! We invited another couple to go to a prime rib dinner at our church tomorrow night. They are coming early so we can visit before we go.

Hae a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Default Friday

GOOD EVENING

I too am stopping by before I go to bed. Turn is so cute curled up in the doorway asleep waiting for me to hit the bed. He loves to snuggle and get some petting before he leaves to sleep down at my feet. We went and bought a neat small ceiling fan to install in the kitchen which will help tremendously when it heats up to circulate the air. Want to get it up now so when I need it ~ it will be there. Also got a new but hut for Turn. His birthday is March 3rd and so he gets a new one every year. That is what the experts say ~ get a new one a year so it is easy to remember around his birthday. We do what we can to keep the little critter healthy.

JEAN I love prime rib and haven't had it in ages. It is so loaded with fat that I haven't wanted to spent any points on it. For an 8 ounce serving it has 676 calories; 57 g FAT; 0 g FIB which translates to 18.5 POINTS. I am not saying this to ruin your meal but I do remember you said one time that you didn't care for it anyway. Have fun with your guests which is so important and enjoy your evening out.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Our sunshine has disappeared and the TV weather map shows heavy clouds moving into our area. The prediction has wavered between rain, freezing drizzle, and snow; it was supposed to start late tonight but the latest version is for tomorrow. I hope we still can have school on Monday or we will be adding another day in June.

We just finished doing a "defur" job in the main area of the house. Spring must be getting close because the furry critters are shedding more. I have a pillow that says, "no outfit is complete without cat fur!" The felines are shut in the basement until our company has come and gone. They are not happy campers but they will survive!

Maggie -- I laugh every time you mention Turn's butt hut! Your memory is good! Prime rib is not a favorite of mine so will have no trouble just having a taste of it. At least the guy who is cooking it, doesn't serve it red! Many years ago we went to a chamber of commerce banquet at the country club and the meat and juice were both so red, I had them take the plate away. Talk about grossed out! You will enjoy the ceiling fan when the weather gets warmer. We even run ours when the air is on.

I need to iron a shirt for DH and decide what I am going to wear tonight. Hope you all have a nice weekend! Do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I was just checking my email and thought I would pop in and say "hello." It is 45 degrees outside and raining tonight. The snow is supposed to come tomorrow.

I hope you have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:12 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Exclamation Monday Night

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Not much going on in my neck of the woods. We had a wonderful time visiting some friends at lunch time and a good chat. I am really struggling to stay OP these days. Don't have a clue why it is so hard.

JEAN I'll make a deal with you ~ I'll send some of our springtime to you and you send me some snow. The daffodils are blooming and are so welcome.

Sleep well Flowers, type at you later.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been another gloomy, damp-type-cold day in my neighborhood. Not much is going on. I did go to WW and had another gain -- I don't know what my problem is other than all I want to do is eat. I will blame it on the weather.

One of our "famous five" threatened the BD teacher today. I am hoping he and his attitude are out the door for good. It happened the last hour of the day so I don't know what his punishment will be; he's already in trouble for theft (in the WM parkinglot with the cameras video taping it no less) and for sexual assault on a girl at the Catholic school where he transferred this fall. I think the behavior plan will be implemented next week and I am not looking forward to it.

Maggie -- I would rather have some sunshine, please!

I have clothes in the dryer so need to pull some out before they get too dry.

Have a wonderful Wednesday......another week is flying by.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-02-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Closed Thread