WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Beyond the Scale

I just re-joined WW after being away for it for a few years. I've only been using the site a couple of days, but OMG, I hate it. I hate this "connect" instead of a forum/message board. Also, the way the points are calculated makes NO sense to me. I just ate a salad (!) that was 530 calories, yet somehow is 19 points. So, by that math, I can eat 1.5 of those salads in a day, which would put me at 795 calories.

I was going to have Greek yogurt for breakfast, one of those Fage cups with the fruit. It's 170 calories, yet is 10 points. I mean, seriously? Where does this math come from? It's only got 17 grams of carb total. So, I could eat 3 of those a day, for a total of 510 calories?

I don't know, I guess I just find this math screwy. I also can't seem to find anything on the website anymore. I know they want me to eat fruits and vegetables, and I do (hence the salad, which was 90% spinach/kale). But what about meat? I thought the new plan promoted protein, yet a cup of Greek yogurt with 11 grams of protein is heavily penalized.

Is anyone else hating the new site/program as much as me? Of course people would lose weight on this program because the way the points are calculated you can barely eat anything.
creativenikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215.8/215.8/165

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
I just rejoined WW 2 days ago, after time away. I find the Connect part pretty discouraging too. I wondered where the ol' bulletin boards were...I was happy to find this site, 3FC, by googling...This way we can browse topics and hone in those of interest. Connect seems random and unmanageable to me. I saw somewhere that you can do # something to narrow it down, but still, FB style posts don't seem to lend themselves to discussions the way bulletin boards do.

I dropped out of WW when SP were introduced because I didn't like it either, but I really need to get my weight in check ...and turn it around -- I've just committed to recalculating everything, because what I had been doing/thinking clearly wasn't working for me! However, I'm only on day 3? so talk is cheap.

I wish you a Happy & Healthy New Year! Hopefully we'll figure it out, and improve our health along the way~
KabukiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #3  

So with you! I am giving it 3 months. If I don't like it, I am dropping it and going back to points plus. I also was very disappointed to see the boards taken down. I know they were talking about "positivity". Basically I am pretty sure it was financially motivated. It cost more to hire ore people to moderate the boards. I also found this group by google. Very thankful!
princessminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

Yes, I was disappointed when the boards went away as well.

Good luck all and be sure and ask if you have any questions.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215.8/215.8/165

Height: 5'4"

Well, one pleasant surprise has been canadian bacon...3 slices is 1??! That's too much for my egg sando, so I just used 1 slice and it was 0! How can that be?
KabukiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #6  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

I can't really comment on connect since I have never seen the previous forum. But I do like the smart point system, it encourages you to eat lean protein and steers you away from sugar and fat. Basically any foods with sugar and fat in it will earn higher smart points than the same calorie food with protein.

Last edited by Miaka; 06-29-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290.6/288.0/275 first goal!

Height: 5' 1"

Hoorah! I am not alone! I rejoined WW because of my diabetes and wanting to get rid of some of myself.
I hate the site! I hate the program! I just wanted to be able to go to something that I am familiar with only to find it totally changed. I would be very happy to do the points program. And I miss the different groups that you can either be a part of or not, your choice. My suggestion is to get rid of Oprah and bring back the old program and the old site.

I think that the program is messed up.

Last edited by Koshka; 08-10-2017 at 10:49 PM.
BelovedElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

The thing is that the new program has been successful for WW. Memberships and revenue are up. I have mixed feelings about SmartPoints myself. I think it is basically good but the point range for 2 foods of the same caloric value is too high. And, I liked the message boards and miss them. But, the bottom line is that with the old program WW was losing subscribers and revenues were down and many thought it might go bankrupt. Now, it is doing well. I've learned that sometimes what I like isn't necessarily what most people like.... That said, when a program changes even if it works for most people if it doesn't work for me then I start looking for alternatives. No program can be all things to everyone.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I love Smart Points. It's so easy to follow. I love the tools. I've lost nearly fifty pounds. I still have lunch with friends and eat out regularly. I can drink wine. I love having my weeklies and I eat them all. I'm down three sizes, and my meds have been cut in half. I'm having labs next week and it's entirely possible I'll be med free. My A1C is down A LOT. It's just been a really great experience and this is the first time that losing weight doesn't feel like a terrible chore.

Last week, I got my brother to join and he lost 8 pounds in his first week. He's gotten a friend to join. Another friend of mine is going with me this weekend, and now I'm working on my mom.

REALLY hoping to get my 50# charm soon.

To me, Connect is really useful but I found the old forums to be kind of awful. People got really out of hand with the drama and took a little too much pride in their witch hunts and dog piles. I like that the structure of Connect makes that kind of thing a lot harder to start and very easy to block/ignore.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote