Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Running

Any runners out there? I do intervals of walking, jogging & running on my treadmill. I'm trying to talk my husband into running a 5K w/ me. I think that would be fun. But anyway, my question relates to a problem I experience when running, especially outside. My hands and fingers tend to swell up and it is very annoying. Does this happen to anybody else? Is there anything I can do about it? It really bugs me. Any advice would help. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #2  

Not sure what to do to help but I can relate. I do not wear rings or my watch when I run otherwise it will be a while before they come off!!!! It happens even when I do alot of walking outside.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #3  

Yes, I've had that happen. It's the way you hold your arms as you swing back and forth. It can keep blood pumped up into your hands. I keep it off my doing some "boxer" moves during the jog: Pump your fists into the air, do some front punches, flap your arms, etc. Also shake your hands out as if you were flicking water off them.

It helps to keep your arms a little greater than 90 degrees, closer to your hips than your shoulders, and keep your hands very loose and floppy. Just let them bounce up and down. Try pulling your elbows an inch or two away from your sides. And obviously you want to take off any tight rings, watches, etc. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #4  

Thanks you two for your replies. I will try the "boxing moves" during my next run. Hopefully that will help. I've tried running with my hands up in the air above my head, but I look like a freak, a surrendering soldier, or an overly religious person praising the Lord!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #5  
Just gotta run!

Here is a good book to help with interval training. My library had it. My wife and I have done 4 5K's since the first of the year. We started running in mid December. Yes, sometimes my hands swell up, sometimes they get cold. but not as bad as extended walking. I agree hand position helps.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

I LOVED your Praise the Lord comment...we could all run like that so we can identify all the Runnen Praisen 3FCs.

Another hand position: I run doing the 'belly scratch' with my hands except my finger tips are pointed upwards. Modified Runnen Praisen 3FC. But it works.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #7  

Thanks for the tips everybody! I appreciate your feedback.

Tig - I'll try the modified belly scratch!

Gophfer - Way to go on the races! That's great!

Have a fun & healthy weekend everybody
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 AM   #8  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Benched

The doc has essentially benched me because of my neuropathy and balance. I won't be racing any more because of the danger of falling. But as long as I can, I'll help my dearest DH Goph practice running. And I'll use the Modified Runnen Praisen 3FC and think of Genesis. And when I can't run anymore, I'll switch to the Modified Walken Praisen 3FC.

It really was a blow to get benched. But I'll just keep on moving as long as I can.
Closed Thread