Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default Starting anew....

Today I went to see my doctor to talk about a few things...mainly about my weight and also about changing some meds I am on. I am presently on the Depo Provera Shot(Birth control shot) and Paxil(an anti depressant/anxiety drug).

I told her that about a year ago I was on the Atkins plan and I lost about 40 lbs, only to fall off the wagon and gained about 20-30 lbs of it back. Then she said to me "Well you didn't gain all of it back". I told her that I can do the Atkins plan(at least the induction phase) because I don't like eating all that meat, eggs, and cheese, and then limiting my veggies and having NO fruits. She agreed with me. I told her that I am reading Dr Phil's books and planning on following his sensible eating plan and she said that sounds great.

Then we talked about the birth control and my periods. I told her I wanted to come off the Depo Shot but I am afraid to because my periods are severely heavy and I get very severe cramping too. So she suggested to me to come off the Depo and start using the Birth Control Patch. She said it will bring my periods back, however they won't be so heavy and also won't be so crampy either. And I won't have all the detrimental effects like what Depo has.

Next we talked about switching me from Paxil to Effexor XR. So she told me how to ween myself off the Paxil, and then gave me a prescription to start Effexor XR once weened off the Paxil. I wanted to switch to Effexor XR because the Paxil can cause weight gain and Effexor XR is more prone to help lose weight.(they are both anti depressants).

Then at the end of the appt she asked if I minded if she weighed me. SO I said it was fine and I tipped the scales at 274 lbs. I knew our scale was off, but I didn't think it was by about 20 lbs off....WOW. So weigh-ins for me won't be happening until we either get a new scale, or I am weighed again at my doctor's office(which my appt is in 6 wks), which ever happens first...LOL

So I'd say all in all it was a productive appt
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sounds like you have a great doctor who is willing to listen to what you say. I think that's great that she focused on what you "didn't" gain back. She sounds like a keeper!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #3  

Good for you for taking steps to get things under control. Your doctor sounds wonderful.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #4  
missaprylj

Yep, very productive indeed. Good luck with everything!

Old 02-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #5  
beautiful

i want to go to your doctor too!!!! i'd say getting off the paxil is a smart move. when i was on it i gained 10 lbs. yeah its not a whole lot of weight but when you need to be losing instead of gaining 10 lbs might as well be a hundred! i went off cold turkey and had some horrible side effects... went back on it for a few days and then stopped totally and was fine.

good luck with the weight loss challenge. let us know how it goes!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:06 AM   #6  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

You sounds like you have a really wonderful doctor!!! Cherish that...because my last experience with my "FORMER" doctor....was not so productive.

And also...I am on effexor XL!!! It is a very powerful drug...and I mean pwerful. I am very, very sensitive to it...and had all the freaking side effects that was listed...all of them. But, with that being said....it has been my savior! I stuck it out with the side effects, and they have all tappered off after 6 weeks or so....and I am on a super low dose....

Also....I am on the South Beach Diet plan and I am also working Dr. Phils 7 keys!!! The reason I meantion the SOBE diet...is because it is dubbed the "healthy Atkins" and I have had tremendous success with it in the last 6 weeks...check out my stats below!!!! And all you can eat fruit is allowed (so needed that) Anyhoo...ask me if you have any ?'s and check out the following:

I also have some of those South Beach website links that I have found helpful!!!

The basis of the south Beach diet
http://forums.prevention.com/thread....0&thread=41584

Basic Info
http://www.south-beach-diet-information.com/index.htm

South Beach Diet Plan for beginners
http://www.***************************/index.html

Some more basic info..
http://forums.prevention.com/thread....0&thread=40980

Hope this helps, and good for you for talking steps to making a healthier you and taking care of "momma"
Old 02-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Thanx Everyone....

And thank you Gina for all those URLs....I will check them out.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:35 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Also Jenn.....
I heard that you have a son with a CHD! Am I right? I do too! PLease PM me...and we can chat about being a mom with a child with a heart defect! We need to stick together! Hope you get something out of those links....they have changed my life!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hi Jen!! Welcome Back!!!

Your doctor was soooo right! You didn't gain it all back. Sometimes we just don't give ourselves any credit!!

Good luck with getting back on track and be sure to keep us updated!!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #10  

Hey Jen,

I've actually heard some "bad" things about the birth control patch. Currently I am on it for severe cramps, but my aunt (who works for my gynecologist) had to practically beg them to give me the patch. Although the patch is great because you don't have to remember it very often, the doctors where I go do no support its use for the actual birth control method.

They prescribe it only in very limited instances because they don't trust its effectiveness. Plus its really hard to make it work as effectively as you can - haveto apply it in the right region... and then its on for a week... so it could fall off, etc.

Don't want to say that it's a horrible option, but thought I should let you know about some possible drawbacks.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:17 PM   #11  

Way to go. Good for you.
I was on paxil drove me to craving sweets. Just added to my problem. Just couldn’t stop till I switch to lexapro for me.

Glad you are taking your health in hand.
Remember losing weight is a slow process. I know you can do it. Just going to take time.

Love Flower
Old 03-02-2004, 02:09 AM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Good for your doctor, being proactive.
Closed Thread