Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/154/150

Height: 5'9

Default Eating pork everyday

I'm looking at the numbers and I'm trying to understand what the fuss is all about. Every site I look at says its unhealthy to eat pork everyday, but then I look at recommended daily intake of meat and it says 5 to 6 ounces. That sounds to me like a huge contradiction.

My two main sources of meat are legs quarters and pork. Speaking of leg quarters first, there is only about 1 gram of saturated fat in a rotisserie, which is how I prepare mine. I use a slow cooker for the chicken and the pork, and I add a touch of barbeque sauce while cooking for extra sloppy goodness.* Its so easy, just sprinkle seasoning on the meat, drop in a touch of Que, cover and put it on low.* 5 hours later I have some savory goodness for lunch.* The whole leg quarter without the skin is about 240 calories and the sauce is cooked into the meat for added flavor.* The recommended daily amount of saturated fat one under 20 grams per day... and I'm well under that. Every day, Ill eat a leg quarter, and thats my only source of meat for that day. In the mornings, I'll have cereal... and take a one a day vitamin with an extra 2000iu vitamin D3. I'll have a starch and vegetable with the meat for lunch, and I'll do something small for dinner with a calcium citrate. I balance out everyday at about 14-1800 calories and I exercise and burn about 300 calories daily.

Now for pork, I used to do lots of ham and egg, but I found out eggs are terrible for cholesterol and calories as I would eat 5 of them.* There's 150mgs of cholesterol in each egg, omygoodness, so I only do eggbeaters now. It has 0 cholesterol and 0 fat, so I eat that stuff guilt free. I would make ham, potato, and egg omelets ever day (800 calories) for breakfast, but I kinda got bored of those and now I want to do ribs for lunch.* Each rib has about 3 grams of saturated fat and about 100 calories with sauce per rib.* I want to eat 2 ribs everyday. For breakfast, again I'll have cereal with 2% milk with my mulit+vd3, followed by a starch, vegetable, and the 2 ribs for lunch, and for dinner, I'll do something small like a can of fruit or 2 servings of graham crackers with my cal-citrate. And, on some days, my dinner is a dessert. I'll make desserts such as peach or apple cobbler, maybe a bread pudding, and I'll use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light, so there again is 0 cholesterol and a little fat because of the sugars, etc... but, I eat my peach cobbler and its about 400 calories without any cholesterol and I'm still under 20g of saturated fat for the day.

Again, I can't see how eating 6 ounces of pork spare rib with a little sauce every day is unhealthy. Just because it has saturated fat and cholesterol in it doesn't make it unsafe to consume daily, this is my opinion anyway. Recommended cholesterol intake is under 300mgs a day. The amount of cholesterol in each ribs is about 35mgs. I get about 70 from the pork, 45 from the milk, and a small number from another odd source.* Again, how could this be unhealthy... as the numbers don't say that it's unhealthy or am I totally off base here? If so, please explain. I'm not looking for opinions. I'm looking for facts, and numbers to prove otherwise... and the facts without the number won't do me much good either. I like things to make mathematical sense. Yes, I understand my diet isn't all that balanced but I get my proteins, my fibers, and at least one veggie a day... and I load up on me vitamins. The lack of diversity notwithstanding, how can I be on my way to Heart disease, hypertension, or type 2 diabetes?* I weigh 154lbs and I'm 5'9. I used to eat sloppy crazy and I weighed 213lbs but I starved myself and lost it all in under 3 months (screw that starvation mode bullshhh people keep talking about... I ate 800 calories a day, took vitamins and* the weight dropped quicker than a first round mike tyson fight) and I've had this healthy weight for a year now.

Thanks for taking time to read my post, and I appreciate your responses.* I could use the insight. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mistachy; 11-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
mistachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I eat 2 eggs a day, 5 to 6 days a week. I don't understand what the big deal is about that either. I'm blessed with really awesome cholesterol numbers, despite how many eggs I eat per week, and despite how big I am. I also eat cheese, butter and olive oil, nuts, avocados, and I have been for years. During the years when I didn't eat that stuff, when I tried to eat very low fat foods, but overate other stuff, that's when I really packed on the pounds.

So, I think it's all about what each body can handle. Most doctors don't take nutrition classes, so I don't really listen to them when it comes to what to eat. None of the doctors I've seen ever helped me lose weight or get healthy. I'm no expert on nutrition either. I have no answers for you. I just know what works for me.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I eat 2 eggs a day, 5 to 6 days a week. I don't understand what the big deal is about that either. I'm blessed with really awesome cholesterol numbers, despite how many eggs I eat per week, and despite how big I am. I also eat cheese, butter and olive oil, nuts, avocados, and I have been for years. During the years when I didn't eat that stuff, when I tried to eat very low fat foods, but overate other stuff, that's when I really packed on the pounds.

So, I think it's all about what each body can handle. Most doctors don't take nutrition classes, so I don't really listen to them when it comes to what to eat. None of the doctors I've seen ever helped me lose weight or get healthy. I'm no expert on nutrition either. I have no answers for you. I just know what works for me.
You definately are blessed if you have low LDL numbers. 2 eggs a day already puts you over the recommended daily intake for cholesterol. God bless you on that. As far as the weight... its easy to keep it off with good self control. Without self control, you can forget about losing it and keeping it off. I had a crash diet, and I stuck to it. I lost 2 to 3 lbs a week, sometimes more. People will say its not safe, but I made sure I got protein and vitamins in my diet... and when the weight was off, or now that it is off, I keep it off by staying under 1800 calories a day and burning 300 calories a day with exercise. I stay pretty even now at 154. Yea food is good, and yes I have my cravings, but if i have my cravings and give in, then I dont go to sleep without burning off what I splurged on. My tread mill see's many miles every day. Its also good to have a buddy that will keep you accountable.

Last edited by mistachy; 11-04-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #4  
it's always something

It's my understanding that high cholesterol is not caused by consuming cholesterol in foods, for most people, but that it's caused by high intake of saturated fats. Pork and other foods that contain sat fats would be worse than eggs.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

If your numbers are good, I wouldn't worry. My diet would make a heart doctor cringe, but I get my numbers checked bi monthly and I'm actually better.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
It's my understanding that high cholesterol is not caused by consuming cholesterol in foods, for most people, but that it's caused by high intake of saturated fats. Pork and other foods that contain sat fats would be worse than eggs.
Yes I've heard this and I'm inclined to believe it has relevance, but if I'm under 20g of saturated fats a day which is actually what is recommended, could not pork every day be just fine?

Last edited by mistachy; 11-04-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #7  
it's always something

Mistachy, you mentioned above that you average 1400 to 1800 calories per day. Based on 1600 calories per day, the maximum amount of sat fat you should consume would be 13 grams (7% of calories). This is the max you should consume, not the recommended amount to consume. Many doctors recommend lower ratios and some say even 1 gram of saturated fat is too much.

In general, cholesterol levels will drop when you lose weight and it doesn't matter what diet you follow. I think this is for people that have larger amounts of weight to lose, so it may not apply in your case.

The funny thing about cholesterol levels is that everyone's body reacts a little differently. Some people seem to have naturally high or low levels, despite their diets. The best thing you can do is to have yours checked every now and then and see how you are doing. Our local hospital offers complete blood work panels for $15, and we can go as often as every month if we wish. Maybe there's something like that in your area. It helps encourage us to do more!

I understand the appeal of the pork bbq. I was raised in the south with smoked, pulled pork BBQ. It is the only food I miss after having switched to a plant based diet. As I heart patient, I had to make a choice that was best for my own body. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what is best for you.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have high cholesterol and following my doctor's advice , I only drink non far milk, do not use butter, eat very , very little red meat and I still have high cholesterol. I asked my doctor why and she said , Genetics, in spite of my best efforts it is still high, that is just the way it is. I will still do my best to control it but I don't think I will ever see it permanently lowered. I guess I can think my ancestors for this.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #9  

Be sure to eat enought amount of fiber when eating that much meat.
NerdWellness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post

I eat a lot of those same things, too, on a regular basis. However I am blessed to have a doctor who is VERY supportive and my biggest cheerleader. What I DON'T eat are low-fat, "diet" foods, many processed foods, fake sugar, chemicals, GMOs, etc. Works for me. In fact I just had extensive, complete comprehensive blood analysis and results were... in their words... "absolutely fabulous... we are so proud of you."

My doctor is a super source of both information and support; I could never have made it this far without her!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:47 AM   #11  

If you are aware of your health, avoid eating non veg all the days in a week. Why don't you shuffle the menu as a mix of veg and non veg which will be good for the food digestion too. Eating meat all day will make your digestive system work for long than the normal. So avoid meat at least for alternative days.
priyasarandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #12  

Make sure you eat fibre with it.
Emma_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 71/67/55

Height: 165

I think you are prejudiced to eat eggs and similar things. In my diet and daily healthy nutrition are eggs, vegetable oils, cheese (white mozzarella), meat mainly poultry and fish. I do not like pork and I do not eat pork because I feel bad after it, secondly, I do not like this meat. I think you should ask for advice from a professional dietitian. Each body is different. I can not help you, but I think you should think about a more varied diet
Camila415 is offline   Reply With Quote