Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow Yoga, Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else out there in 3 fat chicks land does yoga?

I used to do yoga and NIA daily, but I have gotten out of the routine. I'm definitely needing some encouragement, motivation, tips, tricks, etc. to get back on the mat

JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #2  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I've recently started going to yoga classes a couple of times a week, but it's hard! The room is peaceful and quiet and all of a sudden there's a thump as I topple over. So I could use tips and tricks too! I think there's some things that are just physically awkward because of how large my body is, but I'm hoping in general it will get better as I practice more.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post
I've recently started going to yoga classes a couple of times a week, but it's hard! The room is peaceful and quiet and all of a sudden there's a thump as I topple over. So I could use tips and tricks too! I think there's some things that are just physically awkward because of how large my body is, but I'm hoping in general it will get better as I practice more.
Hello, I understand! I used to take classes, but as I got bigger I became too self conscious and couldn't do some of the things. I began my yoga practice at home. I miss it, as I've strayed away from it. Hopefully we find some good advice
Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I do yoga at home to. Mainly because there isn't anywhere here to do it (I wish there was, but a 2hr commute would likely destroy any benefit of the class). I use Shiva Rea's dvds and I LOVE them.

For balance, they say to pick a point on the wall (or floor depending on the pose) and focus there to help with balance. I personally do yoga almost entirely with my eyes closed though, so that's just hearsay from me.

I get tired of my "love handles" getting all pinched when I lean over to the side. I have to like smooth them out then I do side poses or they feel all bunched up and weird.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211.2/194.8/170

Height: 5'10"

Wink

I have done yoga for a few years; now do yoga, meditation and belly dancing at a studio that I have been going to for about 1 1/2 years. They also have ballet barre which I have yet to try. All you want for $30 a month! You can't beat it. And the beauty is is that everyone is so friendly, non-judgmental and the instructors are great.

I tend to be on the big side and have an old ACL tear on my inner knee. When I first began I wasn't able to hold poses. But with each class, you can build up the stamina and intensity. So I modify any pose that is too difficult. I agree on focusing on a stationary spot or object to hold your focus.

I find that yin yoga is a great practice for those who have issues. It is most all mat poses and slower and you hold the poses for longer. The stretch you get from it makes your body feel loose and relaxed.

Has anyone tried hot yoga? I tried it once. ONCE. Oh my, I thought I was going to pass out!
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I practice twice a week. I find that it helps my core and the stretching really helps after a heavy weight training session. Also, I'm proposing a yoga Uber, which picks you up after yoga class and drives you home so you can drink wine and stay in a constant state of bliss...........
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6

Once a week!

It's a great complement to my weight training. And flexibility is so important as we get older too.

Last edited by fitmom; 02-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6''

Yes! I've practiced Vinyasa for years, but have recently started Bikram (Hot yoga!). It's crazy but I love it! I recommend it to everyone (assuming they have a doctor's OK).
charbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

I've just started. I've done bits and bobs of it before in college (it gets incorporated in a lot of modern classes) and never liked it much, but I started doing Yoga with Adriene's videos on youtube this week and love it.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #10  

Yes! I've practiced Vinyasa for years, but have recently started Bikram (Hot yoga!). It's crazy but I love it! I recommend it to everyone
shaenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #11  

Hello everyone! Nice to "meet" you all !!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I do. I just got done doing the Three Week Yoga Retreat. And after seeing two articles over the weekend - one that Yoga increases GABA in the brain which helps with anxiety and depression, and the other that Yoga is fantastic for back pain - I plan to keep it up! At least a few times a week.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #13  

I really need to get back into my practice, as I've fallen off... I love yoga, a great deal, but I tend to allow life to get in the way and take up the time I'd set aside for my practice. Sigh. I miss it!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #14  
Determined

S/C/G: 168/???/130

Height: 5'4"

I love hot yoga! It has helped my flexibility, anxiety, and taught me to drop my ego at the door of the gym and do what I can. I used to do it 3 times a week, but I had to replace two classes with HIIT classes for results. But I still go once a week, always. It's me-time on the mat! Make it about you and go back. You'll be happy to! Namaste!
Lynnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #15  

Default Yoga is the best exercise for women

Yoga is something entirely different. It maintains both the body and mind.
Gym workout is not apt for women because, at some point if we quit working out, then the body will easily gain weight. Instead of gym if yoga is practicing, quicker weight gaining wont happen.

Last edited by priyasarandc; 05-26-2017 at 07:20 AM.
priyasarandc is offline   Reply With Quote