Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Smile Diabetic, Celiac, Fibro, and Hashimotos oh my!

So as you can tell I have multiple obstacles. Actually, though, I feel these obstacles (specifically the Celiac and Diabetes) have almost made it easier. There are certain foods I just can't eat - or choose not to- because I would certainly get sick if I did.

I am looking forward to meeting people with similar "obstacles" on their weight loss journey and encouraging eachother
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #2  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jesikabeth,

I'm starting today to conquer these things. Basically I recently found out I had the Hashi type of Hypo and this put me on the path to see if a diet change could help. I found the Paleo approach to heal autoimmune disease. This is a version of Paleo that is stricter than the regular, just to help target the autoimmune problems. Apparently this protocol has helped a lot of people with various types of autoimmune problems. So I would love to join your thread and I'm also going to start one to document my journey with the AIP diet. That is the Autoimmune Protocol diet based off of Paleo.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post
Hi Jesikabeth,

I'm starting today to conquer these things. Basically I recently found out I had the Hashi type of Hypo and this put me on the path to see if a diet change could help. I found the Paleo approach to heal autoimmune disease. This is a version of Paleo that is stricter than the regular, just to help target the autoimmune problems. Apparently this protocol has helped a lot of people with various types of autoimmune problems. So I would love to join your thread and I'm also going to start one to document my journey with the AIP diet. That is the Autoimmune Protocol diet based off of Paleo.
Hi

I wish you luck in conquering these issues. Glad to "meet" you.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #4  
Started 4th of July

Hi, glad to meet you too! Do you have a plan, and how do you feel most days, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Hi all,

JesikaBeth - can sort of relate. I have hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia along with multiple food allergies. Some of those are gluten, dairy (all kinds), eggs, beef and lamb, along with garlic and kale. So when I avoid those foods, my RA symptoms are much less pronounced. So I get that having those issues sort of helps the diet .

FinallyFree: Would love to hear more about the autoimmune Protocol diet based on Paleo lifestyle. May I ask where you found information about that? Just a google search?

I've been low carbing, moderate fat, moderate protein and avoiding 75% of allergen foods. Weaning off of them one every month or two. So far 40 pounds down, 100 to go.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #6  
Started 4th of July

Hi Kat,

Well I was in a quest to find help for my daughter with her acne and ran across the Paleo diet that folks were having good results with. I noticed they had another version for the Autoimmune people and my daughter tried that one and her face cleared up. In the meantime the doc told me I have Hashi and I knew I'd need to try this too. I ran across the book: The Paleo approach reverse Autoimmune Disease and heal your Body. It's a big book. The author Sarah Ballantyne, PhD has Hashis. There are others out there that have RA and have a book and testify to being 90 percent better and hoping for compete remission. So that is where I at now. I started on the 12th. Looking up the info has become a passion for me right now, so I will share whatever I find. You can Google it and a lot is on YouTube. I hear there are many venues for support, but I don't go to Facebook and such.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #7  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post
Hi, glad to meet you too! Do you have a plan, and how do you feel most days, if you don't mind me asking?
Hello. Most days I feel pretty good, actually. It took about 2 months after the Celiac diagnosis to start to feel better, but now all is pretty well.

Being I'm diabetic, I watch my carbs (I eat approx. 80 carbs a day), I'm mindful of my Calories (I'd assume I eat around 1500 calories a day, but I do not calorie count), and of course being Celiac I'm gluten free.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #8  

My father in law with type 2, lost two stone, and also lost his diabetes. It CAN be cured, by eating right, and losing weight. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Big Pharmas job,is to keep you ill, so they can make fortunes selling you not needed medications. Just remember that with hard work and persistence you CAN get rid of your diabetes permanently. Hope this helps
JamieAlison is offline   Reply With Quote