General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default One Meal A Day (OMAD) Support Thread--all IFers are welcome

I have posted in the Intermittent Fasting Support Thread, since one meal a day certainly comes under that umbrella, but apparently it is very inactive right now. So I decided to start this one for myself and others who are specifically following this method of intermittent fasting.

I have been following this plan since May 10, and although I don't really weigh myself I would guesstimate that I have lost 5-7 lbs so far. My past history of practicing intuitive eating taught me that the scale is an instrument of torture for me, so I avoid it at all costs. There are many other ways to determine progress other than the scale.

I have decided on this WOE because it is absolutely necessary for me to lose weight due to health reasons. I have read a lot about the benefits of intermittent fasting, and after a period of trial and error I have determined that eating one meal a day works very well for me. One side benefit that became apparent quite early on is that my energy level is significantly increased.

I eat my meal generally between 5-7 p.m. I don't worry about what I eat, although for the most part it is a healthy meal, but should I wish to eat two slices of pizza instead, I can do that as well. I'm not counting calories but I generally have a pretty good idea of how many I have eaten (from YEARS of counting calories in the past) and I am staying below 1200 a day, for the most part.

I would love to hear from others who are practicing this WOE, those who are considering it, those who have done it in the past (successfully or unsuccessfully), or those who are simply curious about it.

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 06-11-2016 at 06:57 PM.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #2  
300+ Chick

Hello

I will join you.fasting method. Was doing low carb,but keep gaining..so this morning am fasting to one meal a day. Dinner will be my light meal. Am a daily weigher...it keeps me honest.

Have a great day
Liliann
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #3  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Years ago, I knew a fella who lost over 200lb by consuming only one meal a day. (He was in his early 20s then.) I encountered him again recently. He is still slim and still has only one meal a day.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

Maven... Thank you for this thread. I know we can do this!!

Seemyfeet...Thank you for sharing,it's good know and build up my motivation!!

So far am doing great!! Dinner will be a turkey sandwich with mustard and green beans.

I check my scale each morning...looking forward to it.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Hello

I will join you.fasting method. Was doing low carb,but keep gaining..so this morning am fasting to one meal a day. Dinner will be my light meal. Am a daily weigher...it keeps me honest.

Have a great day
Liliann
Welcome, Liliann! I do want to ask - are you by any chance diabetic? Because if you are, this may not be a good fit for you. I would definitely check with your doctor if you are, especially if you are on insulin. Generally people on insulin have to eat on a regular schedule, so I urge you to clear this with your doctor if this describes you.

I meant to mention that in my introductory post but forgot. So I wanted to make that clear to you and anyone else who might be considering this...diabetes is a special situation where this WOE might not be wise.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyFeet View Post
Years ago, I knew a fella who lost over 200lb by consuming only one meal a day. (He was in his early 20s then.) I encountered him again recently. He is still slim and still has only one meal a day.
Interesting! I've read and heard of others who have done so as well.

What I love most about this is its simplicity. It's very workable for me. I understand how others might not be able to do it; everyone has to find what is right for them.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #7  
300+ Chick

Maven.. no, am not diabetic, been told am pre diabetic. Dealing with sciatica and now knee pain that I must shed this weight. I am in this for the long haul!!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Southern Maven, I am type 2 diabetic. I am certain a doctor would advise not to do this, but I have found in my own experience that the doctor or dietitian is not always right when it comes to diabetes. For the most part, they instruct you to eat 45 grms of carb at each meal and 15 grams of carb at 2 snacks daily. Then they put you on meds to get your blood sugar down to where they want it. Diabetics have a problem with their liver dumping glucose when they go to long without eating. I've been reading lately that when you enter a period of fasting, this will happen, but after doing it for a while you deplete your stores of extra glucose so there's nothing left for the liver to dump. I would like to try OMAD at least for a short time to see how my body reacts, but I don't know how successful I would be due to the eating patterns DH and I seem to follow. I agree this would definitely not work with an insulin dependent diabetic.

Hi SeeMyFeet, good to see you!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #9  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

That's a good point, SouthernMaven. And another reminder for everyone to have regular health check-ups. If you google ramadan and diabetes, you can find some good advice from the Joslin Diabetes foundation. (It's directed at folks who are fasting during Ramadan, but the advice should be similar and the JDF is reputable.) But like Wannabe said, ya gotta be checked.

Hey, yourself, Wannabe!...still floatin' around...
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #10  
300+ Chick

Doing good.. sw. 459....today..458 - 1

I will keep this going!!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Maven.. no, am not diabetic, been told am pre diabetic. Dealing with sciatica and now knee pain that I must shed this weight. I am in this for the long haul!!
I hear ya! When your weight causes you pain and/or other serious health issues, it's time for it to come off!

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Southern Maven, I am type 2 diabetic. I am certain a doctor would advise not to do this, but I have found in my own experience that the doctor or dietitian is not always right when it comes to diabetes. For the most part, they instruct you to eat 45 grms of carb at each meal and 15 grams of carb at 2 snacks daily. Then they put you on meds to get your blood sugar down to where they want it. Diabetics have a problem with their liver dumping glucose when they go to long without eating. I've been reading lately that when you enter a period of fasting, this will happen, but after doing it for a while you deplete your stores of extra glucose so there's nothing left for the liver to dump. I would like to try OMAD at least for a short time to see how my body reacts, but I don't know how successful I would be due to the eating patterns DH and I seem to follow. I agree this would definitely not work with an insulin dependent diabetic.
Welcome, Wannabehealthy!

Are you familiar with Dr. Jason Fung's work? He has worked with pre-diabetics as well as Type 2 diabetics and various forms of IF, and he has some pretty interesting ideas and opinions about the current standard of care for both. You can google him (if you aren't already familiar with him).

According to him, even short-term fasting such as 16-8 has beneficial effects for diabetics. I think we are just now learning how effective fasting can be, when done properly. Of course he also advocates a low-carb, high fat diet as well. I find his videos very interesting.

I like the fact that he believes that Type 2 diabetes is totally reversible, and apparently he's had some success in this area.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yes, I have watched a lot of Dr Fung's videos, and also those of some others. I do a lot of online research about Diabetes.

I think people are wrong the way they throw the word "reversible" around regarding Type 2 Diabetes. I believe the panceas doesn't work properly because it is damaged. A person who is not diabetic can eat anything, carbs, etc, and the body releases the proper amount of insulin to control blood sugar. A diabetic can put their diabetes into remission with a low carb diet and exercise, and keep their blood sugar normal for a very long time without meds. However, if they ever go back to eating carbs, their diabetes will come back. To say that it's reversed, you would have to be able to go back to eating carbs without an increase in blood sugar. This is just my opinion, and also the opinion of many others. Then there are those who disagree.

I intend to put this to the test one of these days, but today isn't it. I forgot, and already ate breakfast. LOL We are retired and we eat our big meal around 3 or 4, so it shouldn't be too hard to do. If it doesn't screw up my blood sugar, it should be a great weight loss tool for me. If I get hungry, I can fight through it and eventually the hunger goes away. Eating just one meal a day is usually not recommended because in many cases it causes you to overeat, and eating a big meal, even low carb, can raise blood sugar. I'm really curious about this.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I intend to put this to the test one of these days, but today isn't it. I forgot, and already ate breakfast. LOL We are retired and we eat our big meal around 3 or 4, so it shouldn't be too hard to do. If it doesn't screw up my blood sugar, it should be a great weight loss tool for me. If I get hungry, I can fight through it and eventually the hunger goes away. Eating just one meal a day is usually not recommended because in many cases it causes you to overeat, and eating a big meal, even low carb, can raise blood sugar. I'm really curious about this.
I'll be very interested to see how it works for you...please keep us up to date on your findings.

I can certainly understand the worry about overeating, but I've really not had a problem with that. I do think my intuitive eating experiences have helped in this regard. It's also helped with the times I have to work through hunger, as I learned through IE that hunger is not an emergency.

I do have to say that after the first week or so eating one meal a day now seems perfectly normal. I still do get fairly hungry betwen 2-3 pm, but it passes. I know I can have some broth should it get bad, but so far I've not felt the need for that.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #15  
300+ Chick

Have decided not to fast....doing low cal,low fat,low carb .

Good luck to all.