Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #10

Good morning girls! It has been raining off and on the last couple days and I noticed stuff is wet this morning so it must have rained last night. It says 40% chance still today then sunny skies and hot temps over the weekend. Jack wants to grill out so that will be perfect.

I finished up cleaning out my cabinets yesterday and the only thing I have left to do is having Jack get the stuff off the top cabinets in the laundry room. The cabinets sit so high I can barely get in them let alone on top and there is stuff that needs to come down and either be thrown away or at least clean and stored in the pantry.

I am doing a load of laundry at the moment and may do some kitchen cleaning today if the mood suits me. I may just read or relax today. This weather is awful on my knee.

You know, it sure is nice not having to go to the doctor all the time now. I don't have to go back until the end of the year and then just for a blood test and to refill my meds for the year.

Susan: As far as we know Maggie is ok but don't know why she is no longer posting. She may be just having a tough time of it. Your Y luncheon sounded wonderful. I don't think they'd ever do that here. They'd end up with every Tom, Dick, and Harry from the city. Hope you have fun at the bee. I like hummus once in a while with half a pita warmed up. I try not to use the AC unless it gets too uncomfortable. So far my utilities have stayed decent.

Jean: As with other things, it depends on the brand as to sizing. Usually, they have sizing charts for the brands but not always. I can't wear most of their things, but I have found a couple brands that fit. I have bought other things from them non clothing though and always liked them. You have to be careful what you buy though as they tend to be more expensive on things like electronics and such that the regular stores.

You all have a fun weekend. We are moving tvs and tv stands this weekend. What fun!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #2  

Good Evening! Another nice day in my corner of the world: sunny, warm, NO wind, and a few rain drops this morning. I spent most of the day cleaning some much needed corners that are so easy to neglect. I would hate for anyone to look closely because the angle of the sun coming through makes such a difference. I also vacuumed fur bunnies. Bob offered to cook supper so we went out for Chinese. I'm sure my feet will protest later but it sure was good.

"Gma," thank you for starting the ne thread. I wish you lived close enough to help me clean out "stuff." I start in one spot and find something that belongs somewhere else, and pretty soon I have multiple messes and I need a rest! I'm a very good procrastinator! Have fun moving tvs around this weekend! Did you get a new one? Big screen?

I have a load of towels in the dryer and they should be done by now. I have another load ready to go so try to consolidate trips to the basement. It's all about conserving energy -- mine! Enjoy a nice evening and have a great weekend!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all! I had to get up out of bed because my adenoids are swollen this morning so I kept waking up. I sleep inclined, but that doesn't seem to help. At least I sleep in the bed.

Yay! I got my WM refund so now we just have to take the tv stand back and get them to take it. I had trouble with Target a couple years back when they sent me two t shirts I had bought for Jackson. I couldn't get them to just take it back. They wouldn't do it. I ended up giving it away to charity or something. So, I wonder how much trouble I am going to have with this huge tv stand.

I only got one of my pillows that I ordered so I am waiting to hear from them about it. I took a picture of the bag it came in and the pillow itself and that I had paid for 2 not one. The order confirmation for shipping showed only one package so I don't know how they screwed it up. Seems to be my week for screw ups. My friend didn't get her money until yesterday even though she said the post office had it stamped as being in the city on Monday. I am just glad she got it.

Jean: We had Taco Bell last night. I had a taco salad that was cold, ick! You can't put one of those in the microwave and heat it up either so I had to eat it room temperature. Do you have trouble with MSG or something? You mentioned eating Chinese and your feet. We have a 42 inch flat screen and an old tv upstairs in our bedroom. I bought Jack a 50 inch and a new tv stand for the living room for an early Father's Day present and we will move the 42 inch upstairs and get rid of the old tv though I have no idea how since I had so much trouble getting rid of the other ones. Gonna be fun lugging that heavy tv upstairs and the tv stand and I can't help hardly at all because I have to hold onto the rail to get upstairs with my knee. We have a heavy duty hand cart so maybe we can wrap the tv in a blanket and strap it to the hand cart and pull it up backwards or something. After the cruise next year we are all in getting the floors done, countertops, possibly cabinets and new living room furniture. We are going to paint the whole downstairs one color too. At least the downstairs will be in good shape. I don't know if we will ever get the upstairs done as Jack can't go on working forever and we would need the money to do the job. We don't want a bunch of debt in retirement.

Everyone have a good Saturday.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Sunny and headed for 86 degrees today - then Sunday and Monday thunderstorms and rain all day. That's from the 2 tropical storms that are making their way up the East Coast.

Have a bunch of little cleaning things I've been putting off that I'm doing today and tomorrow - like wash the stuff in the china closet and put it back, straighten out the linen closet, wash windows. No fun but now that the sun is shining they look dusty and dirty.

I had a cardiologist appointment yesterday. He is very up-to-date on things and he told me women should not take calcium, even with osteoporosis, because we don't really absorb it very well and it clogs the smaller vessels to the heart causing heart attacks in women. With men it's the bigger vessels. I eat Paleo for the most part and he told me I didn't need to worry about fat. About 40% of my calories are from fat. Research has shown that it's not fat that causes blocked arteries and heart attacks but sugar. Added sugar is now going to be listed on the nutritional labels as a separate item. That will certainly be an eye opener for some. I gave up sugar and artificial sweeteners last summer and don't miss it at all.

Donna, I was going to get a new big screen tv but I watch it so little I'm thinking about dropping cable altogether and getting rid of my tv. If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your town, call them. They will even come in the house and get the tv. They have a couple of great stores here. I make sure the downstairs, my bedroom and my bathroom are always neat and tidy and in repair and the rest I do when I can. I'd like some new furniture, but that's out of my budget for 2 more years until I have my townhouse paid for and the last of Stan's medical bills. You had to sign up for the Y luncheon in advance to get a ticket and show your membership ID. I'm sure you are glad to finally have the female stuff behind you at last.

Jean, I'm the world's biggest procrastinator. If I have a good book, all is lost on the cleaning front. And we won't talk about quilting.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day and get out in the sunshine!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #5  

Good Aftrnoon! It's a strange weather day in my corner of the world today. We got up to rain and now the sun is shining. It's 72 degrees and according to the weather guru it's supposed to rain all day. I tried a new recipe for lunch; the magazine picture looked good but it was gross! Bob is usually good about food but when I asked him if I should save it for leftovers, he said, "I don't think so." I am in the process of washing all of the bedding on our bed. We flipped and turned the mattress so that is done for another six months or so. I need to vacuum behind the frame and then put it back together again.

"Gma," when Jason was little and had tubes put in his ears, they removed his adenoids, but not his tonsils. As he's gotten older it seems like he has swollen tonsils every time he gets a cold. Now they are removing kids' tonsils again, and he has talked about having his out. At least he has a live in nurse. I'm glad WM came through; now to get your other pillow! I know you will enjoy your new tv!

Susan, tomorrow is supposed to be nice with rain all day Monday. Beth is at the cabin and said it was nice there. We are taking the boat up tomorrow so hope it's not windy. I was surprised about the calcium; I have taken it for years because I am not a milk drinker. I like the Food Network but lately they have changed their format and run the same two programs all day long. I complained but other than passing my opinion along to the producers (ha ha) nothing has changed. We get so many duplicate channels and most of the time there is nothing on except reruns. I'd like some new livingroom furniture but the furnace and air conditioner are next on the list. The fridge is making a different noise so I have my fingers crossed it holds on for a few more months. I just started reading Sidney Sheldon's books and have a hard time putting one down once I start. I like to read in bed and some nights read way too late.

Maggie, thinking about you and Beanie. Hope you are enjoying a nice day.

I need to finish a grocery list for tomorrow. I am hungry for the coleslaw salad and never make it for just the two of us. Hope you all have a nice rest of the day!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #6  

Good morning to you ladies. I hope our day is sunny and warm. It is plain hot here now. We are again going to be 90 or there about and it is very humid with all the rain we have had. Jack is dragging out the smoker/grill and putting some ribs to smoke today as a treat. We are having garlic new potatoes and corn on the cob and salad.

We have a piece of furniture to move downstairs and a bookcase to move upstairs then we have things all done. The piece of furniture that has to be moved is really heavy and I can't help with anything on the stairs or walking with stuff so I told Jack we should put it on its top and he can be backwards going down the stairs and I can hold onto the legs at he top and we can slide it down the stairs. We did that with the china cabinet and it worked ok. This is like a coffee table type thing we had the old tv on. It is well built and pretty so I don't want to give it away. I am putting it at the bottom of the stairs and am thinking of getting something like a chaise lounge pad to put on it and it can be sat on. It has middle shelving and doors on each side for storage so I can use it to store my Harry Potter books and CDs.

We went to WM yesterday to take that tv stand back and we didn't have a bit of trouble. I explained the situation and she said she would figure out a code so they could send it back. I guess they actually have to return online purchases because it messes up their inventory for one thing and she told me stuff that ships from online comes from a different place than stuff that comes into the store.

Susan: I loved that quilt you posted on FB. I have never seen a quilt that looks like it is 3D before. It was gorgeous. I do take calcium, but am rethinking it after what you said. I don't take a lot just 600 mg. They want you to take 1800 but I never have. I know what sugar can do and it is hard to get off it if you go back to eating it. People don't realize how truly addictive it is. I do think it goes person to person though. Some people can eat one thing once in awhile and not feel like they want sweets all the time and others not. I want to buy two new recliners and a loveseat for the living room down the line. This living room, which is actually considered the den has no solid walls so placing furniture in here is a nightmare. Right now I have the double recliner in front of the fireplace blocking it because there is no where else to put the darn thing. I have our computer desk in here because I have no where else for it to go. This place was built by cuckoos for sure.

Jean: I read all the Sidney Sheldon books years ago and they are definitely read straight through books. Too bad he passed away because I really enjoyed everyone of his books. They all kind of had a gotcha at the end I think. I have a few series books like that. I do that with the In Death series by JD Robb and Felix Francis books, which he writes since his dad died a few years ago. I didn't know that for years he had been helping write the books, but it made sense since his dad was in his 90's when he died. He has one coming out soon, but it won't be released before we go to Atlanta, darn it. It would be a good book to read in the car.

You gals have a nice day today. Thank you to all the men and woman who gave their lives to provide us our great freedom in this country.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies. Only in the 70s today and rain.

I had a $10 off a $25 purchase coupon for Kohl's and they were having a big sale so I went there yesterday. Got a pair of Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans, a pair of GV cropped pants and a top for $31. Everything I got was 70% off So I saved over $100. That's my kind of sale. I like shopping there for they have a good selection of petites.

My house is clean so I can do some quilting today or read...or both! Surprisingly the recycling truck came this morning. I had to run out in my pjs to get the can to the curb for it was full.

Donna, that was an amazing quilt. I'd love to make one. I need to study it some more and see if I can come up with a pattern.

Jean, I hope you are having nice weather at the lake.

Miss you, Maggie. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It has been a lazy day here in my corner of ther world, sunny and warm with more humidity. We were supposed to have rain this afternoon but the sun is still bright in the sky and a few big white poufy clouds. Yesterday was nice at the cabin; even though the water is still very cold the kids dared each other to jump off the end of the dock, and they all did. The stay in the water was short lived however. The boat is in the water and Jason took the kids out for a ride.

"Gma," I have a long cumbersome dresser to get rid of when we paint and change the carpet. It has nine drawers, three behind doors, and the dumbest piece of furniture I ever picked out. The drawers are too short and narrow for sweatshirts, sweaters, etc. I'd like to chop it up and pitch it out the window; I'm not sure we can get it our of the bedroom because we had cupboards built in the hall after we had the furniture. Our steps are wood so would have to slide it on a blanket/cover of some sort. You asked about reacting to MSG. I just figured it was too much salt. I will have to look if Felix Francis books are in my library. I did bring another author home but can't think of the name and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look.

Susan, I, too, thought the quilt was beautiful! Can you send the picture to me in an email? My "sister" is a quilter but she isn't on FB. I tried to copy it and couldn't get it to copy. Kohls does have good sales! I like the GV Amanda jeans mainly because I can remember the style name. Unfortunately, my coupons either expire before I can get to a store or else aren't good until after I've been to either city.

Tomorrow is counting and the last two soccer games rained out last week. I need to vacuum fur bunnies before we leave town. Enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 05-30-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Rain, rain, rain that is what we are expecting and with highs near or over 90 it is going to be very sticky. I even have the ac on first this this morning.

I just sat and balanced my checkbook and paid most of the bills. I have one I have to wait on because of the stupid way it is billed but everything else is taken care of. I have a budget system that works great. I divide all the payments up, Jack's checks, Navy Retirement and SS. Each one has a color, red for his checks, blue retirement and green ss. I then slot payments into the different checks according to due dates. When I pay something I turn the payment name and amount purple which means paid. I never screw up this way.

We leave for Atlanta a week from Thursday and I am so looking forward to it. The game is on Saturday afternoon, but we are going to Nashville on Thursday then on into Atlanta on Friday. We will be driving straight back on Sunday though. It is only 6 hours so not a killer drive and all interstate. I already have my list made of stuff we need to take. I add to it as I think of it and when I pack I cross it off. I looked at the weather and it is supposed to be wonderful the whole time we are gone.

Jack smoked ribs yesterday and we had garlic new potatoes and corn on the cob. It was really good, but now back to dieting. I have gained a few because I have been reckless and nothing else. I haven't gone off the deep end though.

Susan: I love those big dollar off sales. I got a whole new bedding set that was $350 and I got it for $120 at Penneys when we got the bed. Penneys has sales all the time just to keep customers. We just got a great deal on a camera bundle of the GoPro for vacation next year. Jack has a palsied left hand and taking pictures or video can be tough for him because it shakes so badly. This comes with a chest and head band so he can video or still shot hands free. We saved about $200 just because we bought one that wasn't the newest one they have out. You have to watch for those sales for sure.

Jean: Let me clue you in on the Felix Francis books. His dad's books will definitely be in the library, Dick Francis. The thing is they are all about horse racing, specifically steeplechase. They are murder mysteries and I love them and have no interest in horses at all. These are my two favorites of his, Shattered and High Stakes. Shattered is about a glass blower and High Stakes is about a rich toy maker. Let me know if you read any of them and what you think. I have read every one of his books and his sons books too. We used the cart to get the piece of furniture downstairs yesterday but it was not easy. Jack went backwards one step at a time and I held onto the legs at the top and walked down one step at a time. Of course the darn thing is a smidge too long, but we will just have to pull it away from the wall when we want to answer the front door. No one comes in the front door anyway.

Well gals, need to get my day going. You all have a nice one.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

.I realize I have been AWOL and don’t really have a good excuse except I have been busy cleaning out this MH of Will’s stuff. I have to go through the “stuff” that is still in the nice shed we have so my landlord can buy it or send it back. These people have been so good to me. I was talking to my Bro in Law that was married to my older sister and he asked me if I saw so and so on TV and I said I don’t have one so he said he would send me one that would fit in this MH and said if the landlord has cable I could have him split it and put a cable in here. I don’t have a lot to say but I have been keeping busy. I made a nice crock pot roast yesterday and then split it up and froze portions to use later. I must be getting better in dealing with Wills passing for I actually polished my finger nails last evening with a nice light color that is almost flesh color. I wear the 10 year Black Hills Gold anniversary ring he bought me many years ago and have our wedding rings put away. It has been raining a lot here so it is still nice and green. The landlord is going to clean out the growth around the chicken house soon and get some chicks which I can see out of the window by this table. The feed stores have baby chicks on sale now.

I have read the tread ~ please forgive me for not doing personals today ~ just thought I had better check in.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's been another crazy weather day here! We got over an inch of rain during the night and early this morning. Enough is enough! The sun has been in and out since mid morning, a strong breeze is blowing, and it's a cool 68 degrees. I'm waiting to hear if tonight's soccer games are still on as they are makeup games from last week. Ian has a game tonight and again tomorrow night, and we will go tomorrow night. His team has done really well, and Ian has had some good hits and outfield/base plays. Maybe he will decide baseball is better than football. I wish. I still can't post at church but supposedly "they" are making progress at restoring the lost information. This is week number six that needs to be entered. Not much money from the gift shop this week so that is in the bank too.

"Gma," we sure don't need any more rain here. Farmers have replanted and crossing their fingers. Your budget colors sound like Amanda's phone calendar. She has a different color for each family member so can tell at a glance what is on the schedule for the day. Since she travels for her job she keeps Jason updated as to who needs to be where when. Glad you got your furniture moved without any injuries!

Maggie, it's nice to see you today! We were worried about you! I isn't realize you didn't have a tv! It's nice of your brother-in-law to send you one. If nothing else it is background noise. I hope your neighbor might have cable. We have baby chicks in the farm store here too. What will Beanie think about them?

I need to unload the dishwasher and change clothes assuming we will be going to the games. Hope you all are enjoying a terrific Tuesday!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. Hopefully it will be a decent day today. I know it is already warm as the house was near 80 when I came downstairs this morning.

I want to vacuum and clean the kitchen countertops, make the bed and shower. That is it for today. I will clean the bathrooms tomorrow and since I did the other cleaning over the weekend when we moved stuff I will be done for a couple days.

I am going to put a hold card in on the mail on Monday and see if the dopes stop the mail without me having to call them. We don't leave until Thursday, but you know I always have trouble with them so thought I better do it early again. We are only going to be gone until Sunday, but we have a small mailbox and with all the catalogues I get I don't want it stuffed as people know we pick up our mail every day. We still don't have any neighbors across the street. I went out to get the mail last week and this older black guy came walking down in front of the condo with a bottle in a bag (so you know what that means) and asked me if they had moved. There was carpeting out next to the condo for trash pickup and he saw it I guess. I told him that they had moved 2 months ago and she was now living with her sister. She kicked her husband out about 8 months ago for drinking I guess. The man was really nice but a real drunk most of the time.

Maggie: Glad to know you are ok.

Jean: I wouldn't want my grandsons playing football either. What do you think the hold up is at church with the computers? Like Amanda, doing the budget this way keeps me from forgetting stuff too. If it costs to do it, like haircuts, birthdays and such it is in the budget.

Everyone have a good day. Off to shower and dress and make the bed.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Boy it is so humid here my floors are kind of sticky feeling even with the ac on. It is what it is in the south I guess.

I am going to clean bathrooms today and I am bleaching/washing my shower curtains. I have a cloth liner and a cloth shower curtain and the liner will get dirty so I have to bleach it about every month or so.

Jack's camera should be here today so he can get the feel of using it. I hope it helps him with the no hands belts and such. We have a video of one of our trips, but his hand shook so much it is very good.

Speaking of hands, he said he is going ahead and making an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon and get his left hand fixed. It won't fix the shaking, but hopefully will fix the all the time pain he is in. It has just deteriorated over the years. He had one cortisone shot, but it was so painful he won't have another one and the doctor told him when he had the first one that it isn't a good idea to do it very often anyway. His surgeon says every time a doctor gives one of those shots it puts a tiny hole from the needle in the area and people who have had multiple ones end up with Swiss cheese in the area and that can't be repaired.

Everyone have a good day today.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #14  

Good Evening! We've had another beautiful day with sunshine, NO wind, and 82 degrees this afternoon. My craft club road trip got postponed because the organizer's son is in a Minneapolis hospital and she left to be with him. It was a short night here because we didn't get home from Ian's game until almost 1 am. They hadn't lost a game yet but the other team were all big guys and a year older, plus they have several good pitchers. It was 5-0 going in to the 6th inning. We finally got a runner home, and tied the game. The bases were loaded and Ian was up to bat when they tried to put a kid out on first, and the third base kid ran home. Talk about exciting! We had to celebrate so went to a truck stop for a treat which made us really late getting home. I went to the grocery store and WM, both have moved merchandise around. I picked up four bottles of cranberry juice at WM, among other things, but when I got to the car I only had two. So back in I go. The checker saw me coming and called for a supervisor who told me to go get two more and she would bag them for me. The checker told the supervisor she bagged them with the order following mine. When I got back with the juice the checker told me that the customer behind me said the juice wasn't his, and she told him to go ahead and take it. She was a " you know what" and totally clueless!

"Gma," someone else got some of our mail the day it rained. We have open newspaper slots underneath the enclosed mailbox and that's where they put it; it was more than a little soggy by the time we found it. Hope your mail got stopped ok. I don't have much faith in th USPS these days. I think it just takes a long time to enter all the church member information back in the computer. I don't know if we had to buy the church program or how that part works. Speaking of computers . . . . . when I did my gift shop paperwork on Tuesday, I was going to print my report and the cursor froze. Every time I would turn it on, it wanted to download Windows 10, and I said no! Well, it went ahead and started to download 10 so I shut it off and created a bigger mess. Now my computer is at the store where I bought it, and hopefully they can fix it. The guy said the life is now only 4-5 years which doesn't make my day. My dehumidifier is running nonstop so the humidity is rising. I was going to call about the new furnace but don't want to not have air if it turns hot.

I need to clean up the kitchen and take out the garbage. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 06-02-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. Going to be mighty hot today I think. We are going to go out and get a bite of dinner tonight so we won't be heating up the kitchen, which is ok with me. Our new smoke detectors go off any time the oven is 400 degrees or more, drives me nuts. At least I know the things work ok.

This weekend is commissary weekend and we are going to get soda and stuff tomorrow at Walmarts. The commissary doesn't have my type of soda so we just get all of it at WM.

My handbag should be here today. I hope the colors are ok. They look peach, gray and off white striped but a lot of people complained the colors weren't how the computer shows them so I don't know. If I hate it, I will send it back. It is easy with Amazon.

Jackson called yesterday to thank me for his birthday present. He wants the newest Xbox, which his friends all seem to have so he has to save up for it. I gave him enough to pay for 1/3 of it so hopefully with his other birthday money he will have enough. He is going to sell his other one with all the games I guess. I talked to Thomas by text and we are taking him out the 18th for his birthday. His birthday is the following Saturday, but don't know what plans either one of his parents have going with him so we decided to take him a week early. I am then done with birthdays for awhile. Glad I only have two grandsons to keep track of.

Jean: Gail said her computer updated to windows 10 overnight one night and she was livid about it. She is having some issues again with her health and she doesn't like to take the meds that make it better as she says they make her too groggy. All this technology is a great thing, but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong. My store has one of those touch style screens and I don't like it. You have to really push to get it to do whatever and I am always afraid of messing it up. Thankfully, my dishwasher has good ole buttons to set it and my washer and dryer have dials and buttons. Congrats to Ian. He can play for the Cubs one day!!! I will then be able to say I know a Cubs player.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend. I am going to start pulling clothes to pack next week. We are going to have beautiful weather the whole time, but have to drive home all the way in rain according to the weather channel. As long as it doesn't rain for the game I don't care.