Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Lightbulb Considering the Sleeve

Hi 3FC I am an oldie! I joined this forum a few years ago & had spurts of posting in the Calorie Counting forum

Well, I am back, in this WLS forum because I am seriously considering having the gastric sleeve surgery. I am 32, going on 33 & I have been morbidly obese for the greater part of my life. I have tried all kinds of diets from Atkins, calorie counting, Body by Vi, Green Smoothies, South Beach, among many other methods. I have never taken weight loss pills.

For the last couple of weeks I have been researching weight loss surgery & if it would be right for me. I have a BMI of 69.82 & I'm around 417lbs at 5'6. Like I said I have always been overweight, & I am ready for a change. I just want to feel healthier & have more energy. I am tired all of the time, with no energy no matter how much exercise that I get. Recently I attended a WLS seminar, & found it very informative & helpful. I turned in my new patient packet & I am waiting for the initial call to schedule my consultations.

I was wondering if anyone here has gone through the sleeve & what advice could you give me regarding the surgery? Should I go through with it? What should I expect if I do go through with the surgery? I am nervous, as I have never had any kind of surgery before!

Anyway, I won't make this too long, just wanted to reach out for some kind of aid.

<3
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'8

I am planning to have surgery later this month in Mexico. My insurance covers it, but I would have to fulfill their requirements which include a six month waiting period. I have to do a psych exam, complete a diet plan made by a nutritionist, then have all of that reviewed by a board who can approve or reject my surgery. I could wait the six months, but I've seen so many other people do that then be denied by the insurance. I'd rather just do self-pay in Mexico using my FSA. It's only going to be $3000.
Cranky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/170/145

Height: 5'4"

Cranky1 I have just started paperwork to have the sleeve surgery in Mexico. Please keep us posted on your experience and I will try and let you know about mine. I just realized the last time I posted I weighed 179 pounds, so sad now 210.

Last edited by jackie58; 04-10-2016 at 02:38 PM.
jackie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I am going to have the sleeve. I was planning to use my insurance. I know that will be a long process, so I'd love to hear how it goes in Mexico. I may opt for that rather than wait.

Last edited by cyndie; 04-27-2016 at 02:52 PM.
cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I had VSG in December of 2014. I did go through the six months of nutritional appointments, therapy, etc. and I'm SO GLAD that I did. There is a lot to know, a lot to learn, and a ton of head stuff to work on before surgery. Therapy is the single best thing I did for myself prior to surgery. WLS is a tool, and if you don't deal with the issues surrounding food it won't work. 90% of it is in your head, lol!
That said, I'm really happy I had VSG. I've lost 140 lbs and not had any complications thus far. (I'm 32, was 30 when I had surgery.) It's hard work, lots of hard work, but worth it. I log my food, make healthy choices, stay low carb (high protein, really), don't drink alcohol, exercise regularly, and drink plenty of fluid. It's no different than any other "diet", except that I don't experience as much hunger.

Good luck! Keep us updated!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 356.8/300.6/130

Height: 5 ft 6 1/4 inches

I am having the sleeve done on June 6th 2016 and would love to share your experience as to how things went for you.
RHONDA MARIE CLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHONDA MARIE CLARE View Post
I am having the sleeve done on June 6th 2016 and would love to share your experience as to how things went for you.
I know you have to be really excited!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 356.8/300.6/130

Height: 5 ft 6 1/4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndie View Post
I know you have to be really excited!
yes, indeed, I am
RHONDA MARIE CLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #9  

I am looking into the sleeve as well. I have a consult with my surgeon next Friday. My biggest fear is that I go through the surgery and it doesn't work!
Boosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #10  
banned

Hello guys,

Because the sleeve gastrectomy procedure is still relatively new, most health insurance companies in the United States don't cover this procedure. Costs for this procedure range around $20,000 in the United States, though significant savings may be made elsewhere. For example, the same procedure performed in Germany may cost 65% less than it does in the United States, while costs in India for the same procedure are roughly $7,500. In Costa Rica, costs may range around $9,100, while in Mexico costs range from $5,000 -$13,500. Recent studies have shown that nearly 50% of the patients who engage in sleeve gastrectomy procedures in Mexico come from the United States.@Placidway
AncaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #11  

And remember, the sleeve is only a tool. It doesn't do the work, you do by being compliant with your docs instructions. If you consider going to another country, be sure you can get follow up care here. Many won't treat if they didn't do the surgery for they don't know exactly how things are in there.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #12  

Had my gastric sleeve surgery on May 19, 2016 in Mexico. Everything went well and I have had no complications. The best advice I can give for Mexico is research your Doctor before you go. My Doctor and his staff was great.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie58 View Post
Had my gastric sleeve surgery on May 19, 2016 in Mexico. Everything went well and I have had no complications. The best advice I can give for Mexico is research your Doctor before you go. My Doctor and his staff was great.
I am so glad you had a positive outcome. Could you message me your Dr.'s name and contact info?

Thanks.

PS. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #14  

Hi Cyndie,

Tried to send you a private message but it would not allow me. Would be happy to help you in anyway I can.

I have to change my ticker at the bottom of my post should be: s/c/g: 214/195/145

I am really shocked at how well I have done so far. I was sleeved on May 19 and have had very little discomfort, only felt like I did a ton of sit ups after surgery. I felt the hardest part of the process has been the pre-opt diet of two weeks (full liquids), but I am so glad I did this because I think that is one of the main reasons I have had such an easy time. Started walking in the park on Monday after surgery on Thursday, the first time out I walked 2 miles and I am now up to 2.75 miles today.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions, good luck.

Last edited by jackie58; 05-31-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #15  

I am so inspired by how well you are doing. I had EDC procedure this morning. My doctor says it is required for surgery/approval. They look in your stomach with a camera. The procedure was simple, but my neck is very bruised from where they held it.

I don't know why it wouldn't let you message me. I checked my settings and I THINK I have them setup to receive messages.

I can't imagine walking 2 miles. I think it would take more than VGS surgery to accomplish that! My knees are horrible, but maybe with the weight loss they will improve.

I wish you continued success!

Last edited by cyndie; 06-03-2016 at 03:12 AM.