General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 10:37 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:01 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Goodevening...

Alice, Bless your heart. It must be such a relief for you to have the burial behind you. I am sure you have felt that everything was on hold. I loved your story about drinking coffee in the middle of the lake. That does sound like a wonderful memory - you and your husband sound as if you share happy times together.

My day on the lake started later than I planned, I want to get out while there is still mist on the water but it didn't happen today, I was out by 9 and stayed out for 5 hours. I really broke the kayak in today. I am a little rapturous about all that I saw and experienced. The bird life, the plant life, and the fish - I saw so much and know I missed twice as much because you can only be looking one direction at any given moment. I found a perfect beach to stop for lunch and take a swim, brief because the water isn't that warm yet, floated over a submerged island full of trees and birds, was maybe 10 feet from a tree with two huge buzzards (they were totally unintimidated and we checked each other out for at least 5 minutes, I finally paddled on), well that is just the half of it.

Mrs. Yogi are you on the east coast? If you have the slightest interest in kayaking I say go for it. It does sound like a different sport on the ocean though. My kayak is a recreational model, lots of whitewater kayakers in my area, but the books and magazine articles I read are mostly about sea kayaking. I have a tendency to imagine that I need all the stuff and knowledge that sea kayakers need but you are right, it is much less extreme on the lake. I would absolutely have lessons before going on the ocean.

Well food was great today, and I know I burned a lot of calories. Tomorrow I need to hike or ST for lower body because my upper body is well exercised. I replenished my supply of vitamins this week and am trying to remember to take them every day.
Old 05-10-2001, 01:53 AM   #3  

Evenin' girls!

Ledom, your day sounded ENCHANTING!! And to think it is exercise too!

Alice, I am glad for you the funeral is over with. It is a tough thing to get through. I am feeling kind of sad because of mother's day coming up. But my daughter is coming over on Sunday. She said her BF if he doesn't have a "gig" with his mom he is coming over too. I am going to make a low fat eggplant parmigiana (sp) that I got from Vegetarian Times and a (high fat) sun dried tomato Alfredo sauce (made with cream cheese) over basil & garlic fresh linguine. Then I plan to make an angel food cake with 7 minute icing. My daughter (who is small) loves those things.

Lana, how is your daughter feeling? Not too bad I hope.

Today was a sunny day here on the island. I weed whacked my half acre and I had someone come and get rid of dandelions for me. I have a lot of perennials that have returned and look hale and hearty. I am looking forward to the garden this year. I put up a couple of hanging baskets. I love spring!!!

Hi Mrs. Yogi and Shebacat. Where is Bannod?

Today is the first day in awhile I didn't obsess about "the diet". Just ate my stuff...no big deal...and worked out in the yard. It felt great. It must be what "normal" weight people feel all the time. Me, if I am not thinking about what I shouldn't be eating, I am eating it or I am either cooking or shopping for food or stock piling food or thinking about it etc. Just too MUCH emphasis on food. Food was a big part of my upbringing. I come from a long line of great cooks and my mom was a proffesional chef plus my ancestory was Polish/German ...lots of thinking about food there and lots of it. Today eating seemed like an ordinary thing. I don't know if I am making any sense or just rambling...just that it felt good for eating to be an ordinary thing instead of the extraordinary thing that it usually is.

Last edited by judi; 05-10-2001 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:43 AM   #4  
Chick

Default judi...

You aren't just rambling, I know exactly what you mean. First that food is fascinating, cooking an art form, the subtlety of blending flavors, cooking, etc. could occupy me forever. The obessesion can lead to neurosis when it comes to food and I have days just like you described when either food or my weight occupies my thoughts way too much.

At different time different things work, or don't work, for me. Maybe I have a short attention span, a need to mix things up so I don't get bored. The thing that is helping with my obesession right now is not weighing. I know I am making progress because I am taking in fewer calories and I am exercising. If I put a scale into the mix right now I am pretty sure I'd be frustrated because the numbers on the scale are something else for me to obsess about. BUT, this is not always the case, sometimes weighing daily has been helpful to me. Now does that makes sense?
Old 05-10-2001, 10:09 AM   #5  

Yes, it does Ledom. I think I should stop this daily weighing too and just focus on the long term. Sometimes it looks like I am not getting anywhere but when I look at what I weighed when I joined this thread a couple of years ago it was MORE. Also I have stopped eating in the evenings entirely which was a life long habit. SO I see baby steps forward have been made. Of course, I would like long purposeful strides but hey, I would have to be an entirely diff. person for that. I too have to mix things up or I get bored. I think I am going to try 3 moderate meals a day with a couple of fruit snacks and EXERCISE for awhile. Not weigh for a bit which I don't know if I will be able to do or not but it would make me feel like I had "time" to do this thing and not be frustrated with the slowness of it.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:18 PM   #6  
Call me BuBu

Default Kayaking etc.

Ledom, sounds heavenly! Like Judi, I live on Vancouver Island (south end - Judi where are you and who the heck are we going to vote for??) on the beautiful west coast, and have access to kayaking lessons three blocks from the house (no excuse!!!).

I am visualising getting out to a small group of islands I can see from the shore, where the sea lions and rare birds come to rest and breed every spring. You can hear the sea lions barking, what a sound! I love the solitary nature of kayaking, it's seems to be a very peaceful and grounding thing to do, unless of course you get sideswiped by the whale watching Zodiac, ugh...

I don't think I could ever be a whitewater gal, I wear glasses and would have to wear contacts, and would be terrified of losing them in the backwash. As it is I'm a bit wary of having to learn the roll and recover move. But you gotta know how to save yourself if you get into trouble, so I may just have to order those contacts and go for it this year...What a great upper body workout.

I had a good one at the gym last night and actually rode my bike to work this morning (a first). I hope to keep it up until the hot weather arrives. Maybe I'll continue, but would have to go the Y (which is just down the street, again no excuse!!!) for a shower in the summertime. I'll talk to them and see if they have shower-only deals for commuters.

So far this week am O.P. and feeling great, losing more inches and getting toned. Want to lose the rest of this flab off the back end this spring!!!

Have a great day you all.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:20 PM   #7  
Call me BuBu

Default Where is Bannod

She hasn't posted since the end of March. Should we worry?
Old 05-11-2001, 02:28 AM   #8  

Mrs. Yogi, I am on a small island 15 min. off West Vancouver (not the "Big" island). About voting...good question. I can't vote NDP again...they sold out the environment. I would like to vote Green but they don't have enough of a power base so I feel I will throwing away my vote. I guess that just leaves the Liberals, I voted for them federaly not because I wanted them but just because I didn't want the other guys. Sigh! It is a problem. I hope that saying "You get the government you deserve" is NOT true. I hope this political post doesn't offend anyone...it shouldn't... we Canadians are a tame and boring bunch compared to our southern cousins. Though we are addicted to voting...
Old 05-11-2001, 08:04 AM   #9  
Chick

Default Just a very quick reply

to let you know I e-mailed Bannod yesterday. She is ok, working too hard, and getting ready for a visit to her family in Oregon.

Am taking D and some of her friends to look at a college about 90 miles from here. Dragging my feet about getting ready, I just need a little more time to wake up!

MMMM, those kayaking visualizations are a sign! Once I started thinking about a kayak I started dreaming about being in one. It is addicting. It is a sport that is very gentle on the envirnoment - if you want to be on the water and don't want to pollute it with even more fossil fuel products. Very solitary and yet a sport with lots of enthusiasts that will share it with you.

Cool about your exercising and biking Mrs. Yogi, you're doing great.
Old 05-11-2001, 01:27 PM   #10  
Call me BuBu

Default TGIF

Judi, I have to agree. I'm lost for ideas... We'll see...

Ledom, thanks, I'm feelin' great. Will definitely give kayaking serious consideration this summer.

The other thing I love(d) to do was horseback riding. Time to get back to that now perhaps now that my muscle tone is getting pretty good!

Have a great weekend ladies
Old 05-11-2001, 05:16 PM   #11  

Hi! I lost a pound this week and my DH's medical tests came back with good results...whew! What a relief. Even my little weight loss is an encouragement. I am making a pot of that WW 0 point soup for supper and I am now going out to garden. Yahoo! We have SUN and I feel GREAT! Everyone have a good weekend!
Old 05-11-2001, 08:38 PM   #12  
Chick

Default Hey...

judi, I can tell the lightness in your heart today. Glad the day brought you good news. I'm tuckered out from my day with the kids, wore a blister on my foot and plan to park myself on the sofa with my new Vanity Fair and the box from Amazon.com that I still haven't opened.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:46 AM   #13  

Ledom, a blister...ouch! An unopened box from Amazon.com...I'd sooner have a new box of books to open from that place than diamonds any day!
Old 05-14-2001, 09:41 AM   #14  
Chick

Default Happy Monday..

Goodmorning. How did everyone fare over the weekend? I had a nice weekend. Many opportunities for overeating for me. I think I did ok. My friends did a sumptuous Thai supper on Sat. that I enjoyed, I had a full plate of food with dessert, but avoided appetizers and drinks. I took a bottle of sparkling water instead. Sun. was a picnic that was also treacherous. I ate, but moderately then too. I took long hikes both days, so while I probably didn't lose any weight, I don't think I gained any either.

Last night I lurked around a little on 3fc board and there is a wonderful post on the Success thread by Flib telling how she has lost 100 lbs. in 16 mo. If you need a dose of inspiration I recommend that you read her post.

Looking forward to the week, I hope to get a lot accomplished both in terms of relaxation, exercise, and productive activity.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:28 PM   #15  
Call me BuBu

Default Mrs. Yogi's Pants

Well, that's an attention-getting headline... But first I have to tell you about the weekend:

Did all my errands (4 hours and many kms worth!) on my bike. Came home tuckered, stirfried chicken w/ brocolli, onions and mushrooms with pappadum and hummus on the side, treated myself to some chocolate for dessert and a couple of glasses of wine. Slept REALLY well.

Yesterday I had time to kill, and found myself wanting (no, *yearning*...) to spend it at the gym instead of on the couch with a book (!). This is a MAJOR change for me...lazy cat that I am. Did some upper body work, half hour on the x-trainer and had a nice long steam.

Went home, had a protein shake, and made tempura prawns and cod with mushrooms, onion and zucchini (enough for a couple of days, no cooking for me tonite!) for myself and my mommy. Dessert was a bit of chocolate, a beer and a couple of shots of Irish before bed. zzzzz

Tonight I'm planning on going to a low impact aerobics class. I'm down about a pound from last week, and figure that will kick it up a notch (as Emeril would say) so I can get started on the next 15. I still have to fine tune my weight training, though. My upper arms aren't shaping up at all and are still flapping around in the wind (eww), even though overall I feel stronger and can feel those muscles in there. I probably haven't been doing the reps right. I do about 9 exercises in sequence, then repeat the whole sequence 3 x. I should probably break them down and do one at a time, 3x each. Feedback anyone?

In other news, my work pants are falling off me. I have the (formerly) tight pair in getting a new zipper and when I get those back I'll send these in for alterations. I'm going to meet DH in Seattle on Saturday, staying overnight in a nice hotel then coming home, so maybe I'll hit Nordstrom on the way home. I think I have a valid excuse.

Have a great week everyone!
Closed Thread