Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 29 - March 6

Ooops . . . It's Monday. As if we don't need a thread on Leap Monday.

I'm deep into Moby Dick for a class I'm taking. The whaling industry around Massachusetts was big stuff before petroleum replaced whale oil. The early settlers just collected whales that died and washed ashore. That was so profitable that they took small whale boats out to harpoon a whale and drag it to shore to process. Did both of those for decades until near-shore whales were gone. Then came the ships.

It's a long book. Long sentences. Call me Ishmahel.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for starting the thread, Ishmahel.

Overall, good weekend. Got a lot accomplished despite my cold/allergies...

Did brave the outlet mall yesterday afternoon but wasn't too successful. Was looking for pants and came away with two tops, two pairs of earrings and a bracelet. Oops...

HUNGRY already and I suspect my cold is messing with my appetite as it is off and on again.

My dd suggested ZZZquil for my sleeplessness and I took one Saturday evening (dose is 2 so I took half a dose). I slept great! Unfortunately, I can't take them during the week or I'd never get up..... Hoping that one good night of sleep carries me over for a bit.

Chiropractor/ chiropractic massage this afternoon so exercise will be scant-- just a dog walk most likely....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Saturday's birthday party for MIL was a success and although I thought I had prepared way too much food, almost all of it was eaten! I have some leftover potato salad (a Mediterranean potato salad, so much healthier) and a few stuffed peppers. Everything else is gone! That much is good. The bad is what happened later that night. Apparently, DH got up to use the restroom around midnight and he thinks he tripped on the bath mat. Bogey and I woke to a loud noise which I assumed was some cat activity in the living room. Then another louder noise really got our attention and that was when I realized DH was not in bed. I went to look for him and found him on the floor in the bathroom--covered in blood. At that point, he was a bit delirious (he thinks he was in shock). He kept saying he was fine but wouldn't let me put ice on his forehead. Anyway, he's fine but has quite the mess on his face. Two or three marks on the left side of his face which we can only ascertain coming from the shower door hinge that he must have fallen against.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I am almost done a quite difficult dog/cat sleep-over. Will be going home tomorrow evening after working all day in a snowstorm.

The pets are nice enough and the apartment is in a great location but I don't want to stay with these pets again for a number of reasons.

I have to come up with a diplomatic way of saying I can't prepare my own food in a kitchen after making batches of raw meat and additives for the pets. Nor do I want to store my food in the fridge with all sorts of raw pet food.

The parking also sucks - that is the norm for this area of town - even worse in summer - and every time the dog has to go out I have to put on my outer clothes and boots to take him on leash. No back or front yard of any kind.

I also managed to survive 6 days without TV! DH was amazed that they didn't have cable. I am almost finished the novel "Middlesex" and, since I read every evening I didn't overeat!

So pros and cons but the cons outweigh the pros.

Good week all!

Dagmar :
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

A week between jobs! I am delightfully unemployed and feel like I'm spending money like a drunken sailor, ! Between finally replacing two pairs of eyeglasses, shopping for groceries, and replacing a seriously worn-out lap swimsuit, and needing to change the oil in the car plus get a decent haircut ... I have to laugh at myself. It is a little strange not being stressed - I guess I'm making stuff up to fill the hole.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #6  

Allison-- that's scary for dh! And you!

Dagmar-- that is a tricky one.... I was asking my pet sitter to take Ellie on some midday walks and she has been saying she is sick for two weeks. I was starting to wonder if she was blowing me off but she said she is feeling better and can't wait to see her this week. I guess.... maybe the truth?

Becky-- too funny! I always chuckle at myself during the summer when I don't work for July and parts of June and August-- I don't get paid yet I can spend way more money than when I am working!!

Today will be an interesting day at work. My library is being used for picture day. The crew was here bright and early setting up and all 1050 students will come through for Spring pictures while I try to ignore them and get a huge list of jobs accomplished. I was hoping to take the day off but I only get 2 "free" days off a year and I'm using one for the week before Spring Break and I already used the other one. Oh well..... off to the list!!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #7  

I've had to extend the dog sit for one night. Big storm moving in and my clients' flight was cancelled. They will be back tomorrow mid afternoon. I brought all of my big stuff home but will take a small case to overnight. Left the laptop and kettle there. Kinda thought this would happen. SIGH.

Dagmar
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Allison, I hope your DH is okay! The fall sounded nasty! Hang in there with the weight loss!

Dagmar, hope you are heading home from the pet sit by now. Our seven cats, 2 dogs, uncounted chickens and 25 sheep are a constant pet sit experience, especially when my DH is gone playing golf for a few days. It is amazing how the cats know there is one schedule when DH is home and another when I'm in charge. He lets them in and out a lot more often. I put them out in the morning and don't let them back in until after 5 pm. You can see it in their expressions - "oh it's HER. There's no point asking to go in." I am training one cat to sit up. He's pretty good at it now. I'll have to post a photo

I got my seedling greens planted but the arugula will have to come up from seed. I'm slowly working up to a decent exercise routine. Right now I'm doing assisted pushups instead of real ones, and still sticking with low weights for arm exercises. And, here's important news (at least for me) - I've decided to have chemo after my radiation. Anyone who wants all the specifics for my decision just PM. But basically after more research, I don't trust the 7% recurrence rate I was given. I don't think the characteristics of my tumor fits the calculation tool well enough. If I get a distant recurrence even after chemo, it is what it is. But if I didn't do the chemo I'd kick myself and have huge regrets for the rest of my life. My radiation onc says he does not think I'm crazy and if it was his wife, he'd want her to have the chemo.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #9  

Alice Good for you for making such informed decisions about your health.

My pets also have two schedules - my schedule and no schedule when I'm away. They accept that DH will look after them within larger time windows than I have and they don't bug him for food or walks very much.

Dagmar
Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Birthday, Michele!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #11  

Thanks, Allison!!

I posted a long message yesterday-- or tried to-- and my computer crashed. It took a long while to get it up and running again so I was gun shy to post again.

Alice-- I think I would do the same as you. You are strong and you will get through the chemo. How long/ how many treatments will you have? My only advice after seeing my mom go through chemo, is try to put some weight on before you start. My mom was thin before chemo and was just skin and bones through it and after. I'm sure each person is different but I would think you could have a few reserves stored up.

We will see how my birthday day goes. Still have the remnants of a cold and the rains are returning here....
I stopped at Starbucks and bought myself a treat for my snack later and two of my work friends are taking me to dinner tonight. Dh returns tomorrow but I'm not sure how much company he will be... He was in Japan and then went to Singapore a couple days ago. He's exhausted and his knee isn't thrilled with the traveling... He will only be home a few days before he leaves again, so I suspect much of that will be spent jet lagged.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Alice - I would probably do the same thing you are doing, otherwise I would have those doubts, too. Good thoughts to you.

Michele -I hope you have a good day today.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just the contrarian voice here, Alice. I would not do what you plan to do. I'd have no regrets about it, either. But, you're the one whose opinion counts! I'd say, concentrate on getting through the radiation therapy first. You can always decide about chemo after that.

Your oncologist's opinion is certainly worth considering, but an oncologist is always going to favor treatment, IMO. They have that bias.

Happy Birthday, Michele! I hope your DH recovers from his travels quickly.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote