Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #1  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

Talking NIRVANA--chocolate soymilk discovery!

Last week, I got VERY ambitious and made a Mole sauce, in which I simmered a chicken-flavored batch of Seitan. I followed Emeril's directions in making the Mole, including the part where he said to add a bit of crushed Mexican chocolate to the sauce just before serving.

(to the uninformed: a Mole sauce is a spicy "gravy" made from dried chiles, broth, thickened with tortillas, and often seasoned with cinnamon and cocoa/chocolate. The final product does NOT taste of cinnamon or chocolate: these flavors simply add a depth to the end result)

Okay, the Mole with "fake chicken" turned out divine, the Seitan had the texture and taste of primo boneless, skinless chicken breast meat. I'm left with the rest of the package of Mexican chocolate. A little taste tells me this is GOOD STUFF. So, this morning, I haul out my soymilk machine, load it up with soaked beans, and crank out a fresh batch of milk. This gets dumped into the blender with a "cake" of Mexican chocolate.

Oh, MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

I'm going to be buying soybeans by the fifty-pound bag, I predict. Tomorrow, my Dad is coming over, and I'm making a fresh batch just for him.

~VOW
Banded 1-31-04 by Dr Kuri
284/258 at banding/whatever God wants me to weigh
Old 03-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #2  

how do you make seitan??
i like the taste of meat but the thought keeps me from eating it. i don't like tofu so i'm hoping seitan may be the answer.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Not sure how to deal with Seitan since I have never tried it.

A couple of meat substitutes you can use are TVP - textured vegetable protein and soy products that look like ground beef - Yves veggie cuisine has a lot of good products using this and I believe that Morningstar farms has some items as well.

I sometimes buy veggie burgers and mince them up to throw into a pasta sauce.

BTW- I just tried some chocolate soya milk for the first time yesterday and it was delicious - so much so that I bought a couple of cartons of it from the guys demoing it
Old 03-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

VOW - Mole is excellent on nut crusted tofu.
Closed Thread