Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #1  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

S/C/G: 238.8/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Default Ups and Downs Support Group - Feb. 2016

to the February thread for the Ups and Downs Support Group!

This caring and tight-knit group is a great place to chat about the current ups and downs that you're facing. Whether you struggle with a mental illness or are just going through a rough time, feel free to tell us. New members are always welcome

Sending positive thoughts and hugs to you all!
ap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello, thanks for starting the Feb thread ap14! thank you for your positive energy sent to us all

I feel all sympathy and empathy for those who are struggling with eating poorly, bingeing, etc, I have been trudging home, eating too much in front of tv, then going to bed at like 8:30...I know I am self-medicating with food, but it's all I can manage for now. I always improve when it gets nice outside, wish I could be OK year round.

I was doing really well with working out 4 x a week, then had to do more hours at work, and that was my excuse. I get so discouraged when I think of how motivated and fit I was just less than 10 years ago

well try to have a good day
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #3  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
Hello, thanks for starting the Feb thread ap14! thank you for your positive energy sent to us all

I feel all sympathy and empathy for those who are struggling with eating poorly, bingeing, etc, I have been trudging home, eating too much in front of tv, then going to bed at like 8:30...I know I am self-medicating with food, but it's all I can manage for now. I always improve when it gets nice outside, wish I could be OK year round.

I was doing really well with working out 4 x a week, then had to do more hours at work, and that was my excuse. I get so discouraged when I think of how motivated and fit I was just less than 10 years ago

well try to have a good day
No problem!

I understand the bingeing/poor eating. That was my life for a long, long, long time. I'd come home from school, eat junk (chips, cookies, diet coke), sleep, eat dinner, eat more, sleep. I wasn't in any sports or anything, so obviously I wasn't burning what I was taking in. I look back and I'm like, wow, I really should've gotten myself together then. It would've been a lot easier only 30lbs overweight rather than 70-90. Ugh. Depression didn't help at all either. Food was my comfort
Old 02-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #4  
full of thanks

Hey ladies,

Well, I am giving up my morning client. He is just draining me. I work so hard in the mornings for him. I do laundry, dishes plus get him ready to go to work. He is very needy. I am going to give him up. Part of me is relieved, part of me is disappointed. It is just the way it has to be.

Holly, so sorry you are having trouble eating the way you want to. I know what it's like to be drained. It's hard to have a balance.

ap. thanks for starting the thread.

Anyway, that is about it for now.

Edit: I've decided to work 2 days a week with my client. I need a break but still need some money coming in. Two days a week will be ok, I think.

Last edited by Lisaluvshearts; 02-01-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: edit
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/170

Height: 6,1

Lisa - Sounds like a reasonable balance...i hope it helps you feel less worn out

VermontMom - I get the discouragement, looking back. I often wish I'd caught things earlier and developed healthy habits in place of the unhealthy ones I've cemented...I used to be thin and fit. I moved to University and it all went to ****. I've had ups and downs but never been within a healthy weight range since. The closest I've come was just before Christmas, in fact..and I am really disappointed in myself for tripping up and regaining since then. I'd be within healthy range by now if I hadn't! Argh.

But, I know that my disappointment will mellow as I get making forward progress again, and let time pass. I don't hate that I gained, originally, as much as I used to. I've learned a lot about myself and health and bodies and other people through the process of becoming obese and being forced to face some mental health problems and work my way out of that place....not saying I wouldn't have rather learned those lessons without getting fat...lol...nor that I don't wish it had all gone a lot bloody faster and more smoothly....but still. I sometimes think I'm a better, more self aware, more introspective, more empathetic person because I've spent such a time being overweight and struggling with it.

Now I'll have a healthy body I'm happy with though, please...
Bookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #6  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaluvshearts View Post
Hey ladies,

Well, I am giving up my morning client. He is just draining me. I work so hard in the mornings for him. I do laundry, dishes plus get him ready to go to work. He is very needy. I am going to give him up. Part of me is relieved, part of me is disappointed. It is just the way it has to be.

Holly, so sorry you are having trouble eating the way you want to. I know what it's like to be drained. It's hard to have a balance.

ap. thanks for starting the thread.

Anyway, that is about it for now.

Edit: I've decided to work 2 days a week with my client. I need a break but still need some money coming in. Two days a week will be ok, I think.
Please be sure to take care of yourself in the process ❤︎
Old 02-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

Ap14, thanks for starting the new month.

Lisa, have you considered applying for different positions? This job seems to be really wearing on you.

Holly, I get where you are coming from with the weather - We have been luckier this year than last on the Cape - one blizzard so far - for the past week it has been in the 40s and 50s.

Holly, take a good look at the photo you posted of yourself at the fundraiser. There are many people who wish they looked as good as you do. Appreciate and be kind to yourself.

Fi, how is your pain level lately? I look forward to your collages.

Kathleen, how is everything going>

Bookmark, it looks as if you have lost a good amount of weight. Please don't dwell on the past. The only time you should look behind you is when you are parking your car or checking the back of your hair and outfit!

Take care, my friends.

Last edited by EasySpirit; 02-02-2016 at 12:48 PM.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #8  
full of thanks

Hello everyone,

Well, my decision about my job was taken from me. I received a letter in the mail last night that states the company I work for is closing. It is open until Feb 27th, after that it is closing. *sigh* I need to start looking for another job asap.

I hope you all are well. I will post to each of you either tonight or tomorrow.

Much love to all.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #9  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaluvshearts View Post
Hello everyone,

Well, my decision about my job was taken from me. I received a letter in the mail last night that states the company I work for is closing. It is open until Feb 27th, after that it is closing. *sigh* I need to start looking for another job asap.

I hope you all are well. I will post to each of you either tonight or tomorrow.

Much love to all.
Well, at least that stress is taken off of your shoulders...only to be replaced by something else Isn't that how life is?

My friend told me about a job up on campus at the fitness center (yes, I laughed too). I'm working on my resume right now and I want to get it submitted. The woman is desperately looking for people to work up there, so here's to hoping this is a quick and easy process!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #10  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Hello friends!

Lisa: I am so sorry that the company you are working for is closing. This means you will be able (or have) to give up the needy client, though, right? That is probably a good thing, but too bad you have to find a new job. I will keep you in my prayers during your job hunting process. Don't sell yourself short! Any company would be blessed to have you!

ap14: Thank you for being a steady presence in the group lately and showing up for everyone with kind feedback! Hope you get the job at the fitness center! Please keep us posted.

Holly: I would KILL to look like you right now, (as EasySpirit mentioned)! I don't want to belittle your goals though. If you are unhappy with where you are, I hope you are able to get back on the workout wagon and start over today (or tomorrow... it's kind of late ). But do pat yourself on the back for being as fit as you are. You are always an inspiration to me!

EasySpirit: It is always so good to hear from you! I enjoy soaking in your wisdom. Everything is going pretty well lately. Thanks for asking! I am still concerned about my son, who is experiencing a lot of anxiety and some depression while he is away in his first year at the University of Dayton. I just HATE that he has to deal with ANY of this crap that I have struggled with throughout the years! The doctor recently put him on Zoloft and he just told me today that it isn't really helping and that it has caused some weight gain. He is very in to fitness, so this is not good. And so the cycle begins..... I hope and pray we (including the doctor) can help him to nip this in the bud as soon as possible and get him on an effective medication, so that he can get headed in the right direction. It makes my heart break to know he is dealing with this at all. Other than that, I can't complain too much right now. I am just trying to take ONE day at a time. With the help of my therapist today, we defined some goals and strategies for tackling the clutter in my home. Some spaces are worse than others and I have one room in particular that needs serious attention. I really think the physical clutter is related to my weight. Prior to going into the psychiatric hospital last summer, I was making progress on both fronts and progress in one area seemed to snowball into the other area. I want to get back to that place..... and start again to make progress in the right direction with the "excesses" in my life. After talking with my therapist today and getting her input, I feel hopeful that I can do it, which is progress in itself. It is just gonna take time, so I need to be patient with myself and trust the process. My new therapist is really a no-nonsense person, and she will check in with my progress and hold me accountable. I need that (even though I hate "reporting" to someone). Things are good with my little family (except for my concern about my son). We are all getting along much better and life in general is fairly smooth right now. I am counting my blessings!

Bookmark: I really like your perspective on being a more self-aware and empathetic person because of your weight struggles. Seeing the blessing in the midst of your struggle is admirable. I feel I can say the same for myself. I have actually learned a lot, too, because of my experience of being overweight (and dare I say "obese?" I hate that word). But, at this point in my adult life (middle age years+), I am SO ready to shed the weight. Not sure yet if I am willing to do what it takes to actually lose the significant amount of weight that I want to, but I am striving to get there! Let's do this together!!!

TheLibrarian: Where did you go? If you are reading along, please post and let us know how you are. We care and want only the best for you! Hope all is well!

Coop: How are things with you? Hope you are doing well!

Hope I haven't left anyone out! Waving hello to all of you and sending big hugs!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

What a wonderful thread! I have suffered with emotional binge eating for many years now. I managed to get it under control with careful monitoring a few years ago, but it has been rearing its ugly head again. All problems can be solved with a batch of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! Well...40 lbs later...not so much! Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread and hopefully get some inspiration.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #12  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post

ap14: Thank you for being a steady presence in the group lately and showing up for everyone with kind feedback! Hope you get the job at the fitness center! Please keep us posted.
No problem - thank you for the kind words I'm hoping I get it!

Well, it was bound to happen...the time of the month has rolled around. I feel awful, tired, and just overall lazy. I have to go to class at 3 and I'm really considering not going, but I have to. I'd skip my photography class, but we have a quiz today (of course). All I want to do is stay home, watch tv, and sleep.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #13  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
What a wonderful thread! I have suffered with emotional binge eating for many years now. I managed to get it under control with careful monitoring a few years ago, but it has been rearing its ugly head again. All problems can be solved with a batch of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! Well...40 lbs later...not so much! Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread and hopefully get some inspiration.
Welcome! (love the username)

I totally relate to any problem being solved by those cookies Something I've found helpful is to drink flavored water whenever you need that "quick fix". Walmart sells awesome flavored water that's carbonated, so it feels like a bottle of pop rather than water. The only problem is the added sweeteners...

Or even just some lemon water helps too. Lemon water is also great for your skin (I learned that yesterday. Woo hoo!)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/177.6/140

Height: 5'8"

Default up and down!

This is such a nice thread. Isn't ironic that a batch of chocolate chip cookies seems like the answer to our pain but it's really what causes some of the pain? UGH!! Depression is definitely my biggest roadblock when it comes to losing weight. Sending you all positive vibes.
UberGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #15  

Ibelieveinme2 - thanks for your concern! We made it through Monday, it was hard, but it's behind us now. We kept ourselves busy and had some support from family.

Lisa, sorry to hear about the job, whether you like the company or not, it's not nice! I hope you find something better soon.

Boy do I sympathise on the binge eating! I have been very healthy throughout January, veg soups every day, fruit for breakfast, veg based dinners and just a few treats. But on Monday, I had a day off, and kinda went on comfort eating overload! I was genuinely apalled at myself. I'm just working hard at drawing a line under it and getting back on the straight and narrow. The time of year definitely doesn't help, but it will get lighter and warmer soon.

It's lovely to see the thread so busy

Last edited by Coop27; 02-03-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote