Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #1  

Default Newbie Questions re: Atkins induction

Howdy y'all,

My girlfriend and I have just started the induction phase of the Atkins plan (started last Monday, actually). We've been sticking to the plan, but we do have some questions. More specifically, are you allowed to eat tofu or cool whip during the induction phase? I am asking b/c while these 2 items are often mentioned by Atkins-followers as foods to eat, it's not clear whether it's permissible during induction. Even more importantly, neither is specifically mentioned in the "Acceptable Foods" list on the Atkins website, and they say you CANNOT eat anything that is not on the list.

Any help? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Hoot! Welcome!!
Definitely no cool whip on induction - not sure about Tofu and my book isn't handy. But just stay strict to the induction list and you will do much better. Read everyone's comments tonight to Navywife's post as well. Nice to have you here with us.
Kim
Old 02-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #3  
Princess in Training

Tofu comes from a bean. Beans are a OWL item.

I'm not entirely sure what is even in cool whip, lol...but if SUGAR, dextrose, maltodextrin, or anything like that is in it, NOPE. It is, however, fairly lowish in carbs, so I have heard of people in phashes 2-4 eating it.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:44 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

Hiya Hoot. Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions. I wouldn't advise cool whip (um..I was already STRICTLY told Cool Whip itself is not allowed. ) Induction is just for the list given. Unless you're doing a less strict induction. There are recipes here that are great for when you just NEED a little chocolate something just don't be like me and get hooked on that also
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #5  

Thanks y'all for the tips. Too bad about the tofu and cool whip. I've been snacking w/ sugar-free gellatin and saw this list for induction ideas on this website: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-toolb...induction.html

At the very bottom of the list, under snacks and deserts, was this quote:

"Sugar Free jello with whipped cream is a cool, tasty treat"

Is that "whipped cream" something other than cool whip? Or something that I am supposed to custom-make to make it induction-friendly? I'm just curious.

Anyways, thanks again for the help and support.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I thought you could have tofu... doesnt' he (Atkins) recommend it if you are a vegitarian to eat tofu/soy on induction and all phases? Just gotta watch the carbs ? Well I'm eating it lol.

Yes Hoot, the whipped cream is something you can make and its very easy, just get some heavy cream and whip it up until really fluffy. You can add some splenda, vanilla extracts (or any flavor, but its 1 carb per teaspoon) OR Davinici syrups to it because they are 0 carbs and made from splenda. You can also add it to your coffee... YUM!! look for the sugar free ones.

http://www.davincigourmet.com
Old 02-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #7  

Thanks, Leenie. Unlike my girlfriend (who is one of those types who doesn't like chocolate or most sweets, and instead prefers the saltier/savory snacks) I have a sweet tooth, and have been satisfying my cravings w/ sugar-free jello. I just thought a little whipped cream topping would help a lot, too. I'll try what you said.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #8  
Head Princess

Hi Hoot! I teared up when I saw your name. We call my 'baby' (ok, he's 22 now) brother Hoot. He's across the country in med school right now and I miss him bunches.

Ahem, anyway. Everyone's given you good advice. Stay away from the cool whip and make your own whipped cream if you must, but I'd advise you not to. Part of the thing with Atkins is breaking our addictions to food. Get control of your sweet tooth instead of pacifying it. If you're craving something sweet, eat something fatty. Bacon does it for me. Cheese works for some other people.

In the long run, you'll be more successful if you break the hold that sweets have on you now.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #9  

Howdy Princess,

Sorry to hear about your brother, but at least things have improved much over the years (communication-wise) with the advent of emails, chat-rooms, and tele-/video-conferencing. Heck, I had a nice chat w/ a friend overseas using our webcams and voice conferencing. I know it's a poor substitute, but at least we no longer need to mess w/ airmail and long-distance phone bills. Then again, being in med school, the biggest problem is probably finding the TIME to talk to y'all. I know a little bit about that: I graduated from law school a few years ago and it seemed like I rarely saw the sun for about a couple of years.

(ps., Princess, I'm sure you've been told this before, but in your pic you remind me a lot of Gillian Anderson from The X-Files. Kinda cool).

As for the whipped cream, I MAY give it a try (but for your sake, I'll try to refrain). It wasn't that I was craving whipped cream, but rather I was getting bored w/ my usual snack repertoire, and I thought adding cream would bring some pizzazz to my cup of jello. I quickly tired of having any meat, cheese or veggie as a snack.

Again, thank y'all for the help so far. I've still got a ways to go on this diet (although I only need to lose 15lbs), so I'm sure I'll have plenty of additional opportunities to pick all of y'all's minds for advice/tips.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #10  
Head Princess

Thanks, Hoot! I love Gillian Anderson! I'm incredibly flattered that my picture reminds you of her. I haven't heard that before

It's not the whipped cream that's a problem, it's the giving into a sweet tooth that can be a problem. I'm a huge advocate of controling your body instead of allowing your body to control you. That's all

One piece of advice for you and your girlfriend is to be adventurous with your food. There are a gajillion things to try and most of them are mighty tasty! Check out the food log for ideas of how people are eating. Surf the web for recipes. If you haven't been there, www.atkins.com even has their recipe section set up so you can browse according to what level you're on. Very convenient!
Old 02-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

Hey Star---how far into this WOE before I can actually conquer this body of mine and not have the sweet tooth conquer me??? I can feel the onset of a chocolate fix needing to be 'fixed'. lol
Old 02-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #12  
Head Princess

Like I told Jane. You must control your body instead of allowing your body to control you. When those cravings hit, don't give in, get angry instead. And then use that anger to clean, go for a walk, go for a jog, lift some weights. Do something good for your body instead of doing something bad and giving in
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #13  
Baby Steps

Oopss......I gave in last night. I'm not a strong-willed person so this chocolate cravings are my downfall. Hey!! But at least I didn't eat the whole bowl this time!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:30 PM   #14  

Off The atkins site. Not sure about induction though
For an interesting change of protein pace, try some tofu, or bean curd. In China tofu is called "boneless meat," and for good reason. Today you can buy tofu in any grocery store. It’s inexpensive and tastes great in a stir-fry with vegetables. (See Discovering Soy Foods.)Tofu and meat aren’t quite the same, however. Half a cup of cooked firm tofu has about 20 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbohydrates and 11 grams of fat; the equivalent amount of cooked chicken with its skin has about 29 grams of protein, no carbs and about 11 grams of fat. Enjoy tofu by all means, but be aware of its carbohydrate content. Also know that too much soy from tofu, soymilk and other sources could have a detrimental effect on your thyroid function, so have no more than two or three servings daily.

So can you do Atkins without red meat? Absolutely. In fact, you should explore the alternatives. A wonderful world of delicious, healthful foods awaits you.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

VanIsle, I've been experimenting with tofu lately (soy) I like the extra firm tofu and found if you cook it the day before and let it sit, it gets better, texture wise. I tried Gimmee Lean sausage, which isn't bad, but the ground beef gimmee lean (soy) I threw in the garbage, it was grooooooss. I do like Veggie Cheese.

Here at work in the cafeteria they cook tofu, not sure if they grill it or fry it but man is it good.
Closed Thread