Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Very frustrated, anyone have any ideas?

Hi I am back after a long absence from TFC and am having a really hard time losing weight. I just turned 64 in July and for the last 3 years or so am having no luck losing weight at all. All of my adult years I have been between 30 - 50 lbs overweight and have ALWAYS been able to lose weight by exercise and diet. I normally start walking 20 min a day on a treadmill and do one minute more a day getting up to 70 minutes a day. I walk at a 3 % incline. I start walking at 3 miles an hour and get to 4.2 for 70 minutes making my walking miles a day. The last three times I have done this and have been on a strict WW diet (29 pts) I have lost nothing. I might lose a few pounds the first week but that comes back and I stay close to the same. This last time I got up to 4 months and am still stuck. The weight just won't budge. I had my Dr check my thyroid and it was 2.22 for the regular TSH score. I am so discouraged. My clothes are still about the same and inches have not changed. I am totally out of ideas and so discouraged after all the work to be still the same as when I started. I am desperate to try and figure out what is wrong, does anyone have ANY thoughts???
Lainey 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time! It sounds like you're doing everything right so can certainly understand the frustration.

You might also want to post this in the WW's forum as well. I'm not familiar with their program or points but maybe those that are could offer much better advice. You might want to post a typical day's menu for yourself and see if anyone can offer any tweaks that might help.

Hang in there!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/188/135

Height: 5'2"

Question

Thank you so much for responding ! I took in my menus for over 2 months and they suggested I check with my Dr which I did. He did a tsh test which he said was normal. He suggested that I try upping my calories for a month or so on the premise I guess that maybe I had gone into the dreaded "starvation mode" and it might bump my metabolism back to normal. I did that as well to no avail. My old Dr then retired and I have a new one. She said based on my calories burned (I had a fit bit print our to take to my appt so she could see I was doing exactly what I said I was. She said based on what I am doing, eating I should be losing at least 1.5 lbs a week. We did a "portion size" test and she said I seemed to have my sizing correct and I am doing what I should be. It is so discouraging and I have had friends chalk it up to senioritis. If I weren't so active I might agree with them. I split and stacked 3 cords of wood in two days this fall. I am just at the end of my rope with this. While exercise does make me feel better it is not always fun to spend 70 minutes a day sweating for months and not see any results. (sigh) I was just hoping someone else might have had the same experience I am and have a suggestion. I don't want to try diet pills or the pink stuff I have some kidney issues and try to keep all meds out of my body. I even wondered about the kidney issues maybe contributing to it but my Dr says no. Out of ideas.
Lainey 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #4  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi Lainey 717!

I don't know if this will be of benefit to you or not, but have you tried interval training and strength training? I know I've been reading a lot about interval training, especially, and how when folks have plateaued, it can be very effective. It involves high intensity bursts of cardio throughout your workout. Also, since we are losing muscle mass, and muscle burns more calories, even at rest, adding strength training and building muscle mass is supposed to be a catalyst as well. I have been PONDERING both of these concepts, but have not IMPLEMENTED either as of yet! If you decide to give it a whirl, let me know if it helps!
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/230/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Hello

I really feel for you, I am very similar and share your frustration. One thing I found that works is to change my food temporarily. For example, eat no meat for a week or add huge amounts of greens and low carb veggies, especially since they are low calorie. You don't need to change your diet forever, just for a week or so.

I also have a friend who varies working out. She does walking one day, strength the next, then yoga. I have no idea why that works for some and not others but I figured I would offer it.

Good luck!
Annahdreams is offline   Reply With Quote