Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #125

Good Afternoon! It's a cloudy, cool, and breezy day in my corner of the world today. I spent a frustrating morning at church! The treasurer, who writes the checks for the church, doesn't "get it" as far as which account is used to pay for what. Evidently she was too timid to ask questions and with the old secretary gone for two weeks, and the new secretary clueless, there was a bucket of worms to sort through. We didn't balance and couldn't find it -- more receipts than money which isn't good. We finally made up the difference by robbing Peter to pay Paul (took cash from the offering)! Then I had a good start on my part but my computer won't work if the secretary's computer isn't on. She had a glitch and had to shut down which gave mine an error message. The old secretary thought she had it up and running again but lost everything I had done in the meantime. I finally finished about 11:00 when I should have been done by 9! Stopped to pick up the gift shop money and now have that ready for the bank. I had a couple questions and/or problems on that but the volunteer director is gone for the day. The rest of my day should be uneventful, I hope.

​I'm off to the bank. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun is trying to peek through the clouds but the weatherman said "hit and miss showers" today. That's the first time I've ever heard that prediction. I hope they are a miss so we can get the last football game in before the snow flies. This morning I made a quick trip to WM, and that store makes me so DA**ED MAD! Something I buy fairly regularly, and have seen even when I don't need it, is no longer there. The clerk wandering around had no clue and didn't offer to check. It's a good thing they have long time, mature (for the most part) checkers at the check outs.

"Gma," Susan, and Maggie, I am wondering if/how all the rain has affected you. I hope you are all safe and dry!

Bob will be home for lunch shortly -- leftover casserole that I hope has thawed by now. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #3  

Good afternoon to you all. We are floating down here. It has rained non stop since Saturday and hasn't been sprinkles but full on rain. We have a lot of low lying areas so we have a lot of flooded areas at this point. It is supposed to stop tomorrow so I hope so.

Jack just called as he is having trouble with his Ipad and his email not allowing him to log in. I hate att sometimes. It can drive you nuts. I hope Jack gets someone he can understand because he gets pretty frustrated when he can't pretty quickly.

I haven't felt really well the last couple days because of the female stuff. I forced myself to clean bathrooms yesterday and am doing some laundry today but that's it. We are having pork bbq sandwiches I vacuum sealed awhile back and Jack is having mac and cheese but I don't know about myself yet. I may just have a few ff chips with a salad or something.

My new blue jeans came today and they fit perfectly. They are skinny jeans so they are not so baggy on me. I have to get petites because I have short legs and usually the stride is a bit short, but these seem great. Can't be bad to go down a size.

They are moving my sister to a nursing facility that will be permanent in Indianapolis where her daughter lives. She can't take care of herself and Medicare won't let her stay in rehab. So my brother loses his $1400 deposit for the retirement community she was living in as she can't live by herself anymore. It is really sad and my nephew is now in a psych ward at the hospital where I hope they can help him. The whole thing is so sad and I won't get to see her much because we only go to Indiana once a year to see Jay and usually a quick 3 day trip or so. Indy is about 4 hours away. Maybe her son in law can rig her up Skype or something so we can see each other and talk on the phone.

Jean: It is weird because I can sit perfectly comfortably in the driver's side, but the bad knee side on the passenger side causes me a lot of pain. We think we have fixed the solution now. Fried chicken sounds yummy. I love the stuff, but we rarely eat it because of the fat and such. Wow what a mess at church. Looks like they should have gotten the new secretary in their sooner to learn the whole job better before the old one left for whatever for 2 weeks. I imagine the farmers here are not happy with this rain and they can't get in and pick the cotton now. They hadn't picked any of it this last weekend when we went to the commissary.

Everyone have a great afternoon.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking 27th day of Rocktober

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MGNOLIAS
☺♫

Will had his second treatment here and feels much better than he did with the first one which was much more powerful. Each treatment will get lighter so he can look forward to feeling better each time. We are so glad we came here to get his treatments for these folks are so much more thorough and work on each patient with a team.

Next week we will take a trip and get the rest of our “stuff” that is in that house. When we get back it will be just about time for the folks to deliver out little storage building. With everything here we can sort through it once again and decide what to get rid of and what is necessary to keep. Without a bunch of stuff in that little building Will can use it for his work shop. It is a cute little wooden building which is 10 feet by 12 feet with a nice set of double doors. We see lots and lots of these buildings in folks backyards around here. The company has one cute model that has a porch and little fence around the front. I have seen folks turn them into little girls play houses.

Not much going on with us these days except getting Will to his treatments.

DONNA FAYE Good thing you found out how to ride in that car without hurting yourself.

JEAN Some people were born without a clue about anything and I wonder how they get a job with the public. It has been a beautiful day today for the nice rain stopped after giving us needed 3 days of it.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Hopefully the rain has moved through and we will be dry for at least a few days. We still have rain in the forecast for the next few days.

Not much going on here today. My other two pair of jeans and my sandals should be here today. We are going to start pulling clothing and such and start initial packing with things we won't need before vacation. We leave three weeks from Saturday.

Maggie: Glad Will is feeling better.

Have a great day all.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It is windy, cold, and a morning rain shower damp in my neighborhood today. It was my morning to work in the gift shop and when I got there found out there was a 40% off sale on fall items. I did sell a few things although not everything was fall related. The morning went pretty fast. Bob's navigation system quit working on his pickup and he got a message for inserting a CD of some sort, which he doesn't have. Last night the remote start and door unlock wouldn't work. The garage was still working on it at noon today, so I picked him up for lunch in the coffee shop, took him back to the office, went back to do my paperwork, then came home. I have lots of things I could do now but am feeling like I need a rest. I have bell practice a little later and he has a meeting tonight. Guess supper will be a sandwich on the run.

"Gma," I hope Jack has better luck getting his iPad fixed than I did. My advice would be to take it back to the store where he bought it. I am surprised your brother had to pay a deposit for your sister to move into the assisted living place. At least where Bob's mom lived, she didn't have to. I hope it all works out for her and her son. on jeans that fit!

Maggie, it is a good thing that Will is getting the care he needs now since the Kansas doctor gave him the "all clear." I'm so glad he is feeling better. I know you will be anxious to get the rest of your stuff.

Guess I will put a load of jeans in the washer since mine seem to be missing on the shelf. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-28-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. We are finally seeing some sunshine, at least for a couple days. Temps are higher than normal, which is nice.

Tomorrow is pre admissions for the hospital test. I have to do all the paperwork and get blood drawn, etc. The problem is it takes forever and I have to park faraway. The only valet parking they have is at the medical building behind the hospital so you end up walking farther that parking in a regular spot. It is totally stupid.

Down another 4 lbs so I will take that. I got the other two pair of jeans so I should be good for awhile anyway. I can handle the shirts baggier as I wear them loose anyway.

Jean: Is Bob's truck still under warranty? Bet he has a sensor out since it is more than one thing that doesn't work. I told Jack that repairs on the MKS if they come will be awful with everything computer controlled. Ahh well, what can you do? I couldn't believe how much my insurance went up. I went from $138 a month to over $300 and didn't change anything. We have accident forgiveness now and I do have rental car and what they call hazardous something or the other which pays for some odder things if it happens, but it is just because it is considered a luxury car I guess. Everyone wants their piece of flesh. Jack found out there was nothing wrong with his Ipad it had to do with the lousy service way out there. It is working find now.

Everyone have a good Thursday.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday Evening

GOOD EVENING IN SEPTEMBER MGNOLIAS ot

Not much happening around here this day. Will is his usual sick self after treatment of that poison they insert in his body but it is necessary of the process. Now probably tomorrow he will feel fine for the time before the next treatment to make him feel lousy again. He now has two treatments of the six he is to have before the doc evaluates him once again. Hopefully that will be the end of it and he will be cured.

Come next Monday we will be going to get the rest of our things. We have reservations in a hotel down there to stay in those couple of nights ~ our bed in the house has been sold and picked up. We need to get all our stuff we want out of the house and then the kids we have to clean it will be welcome to what is left or throw it out, whatever.

I made waffles in my little maker for my dinner this day. It makes two squares at a time and is quick about it. This little appliance has other plates to use in it to grill meat or make sandwiches. It is made by Kitchen Selectives ™ and really works great. The grids are non stick which makes clean up easy also. A neat little appliance for just the two of us. And it fits neatly away in a cupboard with it’s other grids. I used low-fat Bisquick ® recipe for waffles and sugar free syrup and they tasted great.

DONNA FAYE Congrats on 4 pounds lost. Great going and I am sure you are proud of it.

JEAN I am anxious to get the rest of my things so I can make some decisions what to keep or get rid of. Having that cute little storage building will sure help in not having to make quick decisions for sure.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-29-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #9  

Good Evening! It's been a long day and I am heading to bed shortly. My day started at the dentist getting ready for a crown. She gave me a shot in the roof of my mouth and that almost hurt more than the rest. My mouth is sore but much better than this morning. I should have taken Tylenol before I went. We went to Sioux City after lunch for some much needed things at SAMs. Then I thought I'd look at winter coats, clothes, at the mall, and I also needed some new socks. I came home with socks! All the winter coats were on sale but I'm not paying $200 for something I don't really like. The clothes all looked "iffy" for size and I didn't feel like trying on clothes. So I'll be wearing the same things I wore last year! I do like my snazzy socks in all different designs! Tomorrow is a trip to the grocery store and baking a batch of cookies for a meeting on Monday.

"Gma," On losing another 4#s! Yes, Bob's truck is still under warranty. It seems "something" under the dash came loose and caused the glitch.

Maggie, I have been watching the Tiny House episodes on HGTV. I don't know if I could get rid of enough stuff to live in one, but they are cute. I know you will appreciate your storage building.

Have a happy Friday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-29-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining which makes it a great day! I've been to the post office twice, grocery store, and Walgreens this morning. I've put away the cold items and have a counter full of other things to squeeze into a spot somewhere. I should clean cupboards, sort, and pitch. I'm baking cookies this afternoon and doing some laundry.

"Gma," Hope all went well this morning.

I need to finish putting groceries away and dream up something for lunch. Hope everyone enjoys a fantastic Friday!
Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking And The Rain Came

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MGNOLIAS

It started raining around 2am and hasn’t stopped yet. It comes down real hard for awhile then lightens up for a bit then hits hard again. The only leak we have found in this MH is the upper vent in the bathroom which soaked part of the carpet but we chased it down and got it stopped. Nothing like going to the BR in the night with a soggy carpet under foot. We have it pretty much all dried out now. Haven’t found anywhere else where water has come in thank goodness. The roof is higher in the center and is sloped a bit down on each side so water runs off quite efficiently. Nothing like a good hard rain to show us where the leaks are if any. We have our awnings out on a slight slope so the water won’t collect on them also and cause damage.

I can sit here and see the fence area where I want to have some blackberries growing come springtime. I’ll be getting some plants as soon as they go on sale at the nurseries. I also want to get my inside herb planter full and overflowing with growing plants that are good to cook with. It will be so good to get my sewing things here so I can get going on a doll project also. We thought we would be back there getting our things before this but it is good that they started doing Will’s chemo quicker than we thought it would happen.

JEAN UMMMM the smell of cookies baking. I haven't made them in a long time for they are red light foods for both of us and we eat too many while they are still warm out of the oven.

OTHER MAGNOLIAS Hello to you!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #12  

Maggie, these cookies are from a Pillsbury box mix I got at WM. Just add an egg and stick of butter, makes 3 dozen and they are good.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! My puppies are barking! I baked cookies all morning and just finished washing, drying, and putting away the cooling racks, cookie sheets, and all the bowls, etc., that go along with the job. Now I know why I don't bake very often! It was a gloomy wet morning but the sun has come out. Tonight is Trick or Treat here so we may get a few more if the weather holds. I've set the bedroom clocks back and need to do the stove, microwave, cat clock, and the living room clocks that play music and chime. Have laundry going and that should be done pretty soon.

I need to keep moving or I will fall asleep sitting here. Bob has football on the tv and I can only ignore it so long. Hope you all are having a nice day and enjoy your evening!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #14  

Good afternoon all. Busy morning then just got caught up with the day. I forgot to buy candy for my neighbor kids. I only buy anymore for the kids I know across from me and next door to them. I'll have Jack go out and get a couple bags of the mini candy bars and put a post it on it and put them in their mailboxes. They both keep their gates locked.

I was at the hospital from 8 AM until around 11:30! I had a bill they submitted wrongly and it took nearly an hour to get it straightened out. I then picked up my Belviq and had a coupon so saved $35, which considering the prescription is $265 I will take anything I can get!!

Jack programmed our individual preferences for the seat, steering wheel, brake and accelerator, and side mirrors. Now when I get in, I just press the #1 button and it puts all my preferences exactly where I want them to drive. I also found out we have not only heated and cooled seats we have seat massage. Jack turned the thing on and didn't tell me and it scared me half to death. I had this thing crawling up my back. Of course he thought it was hilarious. He has been trying to program the in car garage door opener and it sets up but then doesn't work so we don't know what is going on.

Maggie: Chemo is so hard on anyone. Hope you can get everything cleared up and out and be back in TX.

Jean: Like Maggie, cookies are killer and we will sit and eat warm cookies forever so I don't but stuff to make them. I saw a recipe for Irish Shortbread and it looked so good but it has tons of butter and sugar in it and flour and that's it. Nope, not gonna do that.

Everyone have a good rest of the evening.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #15  

Good morning. It is "fall back" day so be sure and set your clocks back an hour.

It rained all day and evening here so was probably pretty lousy for the kids trick or treating. My grandson wasn't feeling well so Jackson didn't go trick or treating. He had plenty though as I sent his a whole big Ziploc back full of candy with his bag.

Today is start packing day. I am going upstairs this morning and matching outfits and shoes, packing stuff I bought new for the cruise like nightgowns, undies, hat, etc and drugstore stuff we don't use often like band aids and antibacterial salve, cold stuff, my extra contacts and case and saline, etc. I can then mark it off the list. I bought magnetic hooks to put on the walls for wet beach towels and bathing suits to dry and I bought a rubber bathtub mat so I don't slip and fall in the shower. At hotels I always have to put hand towels on the bottom of the tub then ring them out and put them with the dirty towels every day. They work well. Most tubs are too slippery for me and I don't want those handicap rooms at they are roll in showers and without doors or shower curtains and water gets all over the floor, which is more dangerous for me. We decided to buy a wheelchair and take it with us on the ship to roll me around the ship on and I plan on taking it onto the joggine area every morning and walk, walk, walk. It is steadier than just me cane and I can get exercise that way to control my calorie intake.

I am making marinated skirt steak for dinner, which we always enjoy.

Everyone have a great first day of November!