Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

Default Losing weight at 50 - Part 2

Needed to make a new thread for this subject because of the 500 post limit. Old posts can be found here.
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for new post. Read the older posts and appreciate each one who contributed.

Same story here, trying to get below 200 for second time. I'm in better shape physically now than I was the first time, but made the same mistakes. Certainly far older, but even at 77 I can do more than I have been doing.

Gardening, walking and the Gym all are available and give me opportunities that I take advantage of. Gym is air conditioning when the weather is too hot for gardening or walking. Just have to have car (we share one) and the gumption to drive the 6 miles to the Gym. Once I'm there I'm fine, and some days actually enjoy the activity.

Easiest is gardening because I totally forget myself and am simply doing what I love. Just need to be up early enough to beat the sun.
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for making a new thread! I'm Donna and I've been here off and on. I've maintained for the last year and have about 30 more I want to lose.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylR View Post
When I was approaching 50 this year, that is what got me motivated to do something about my health. I was 255lbs, the largest I have ever been in my life! Fortunately I have a wonderful Aunt who told me about IP. I have been on it since 6 Feb 2015 and have lost 62lbs as of today. I'm so excited but at the same time, can't wait to finish. This side of 50 is going to be the best time of my life!
What is IP?
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

I turned 50 back in the spring and kept thinking I was going to "shape up." But I didn't do anything until I got back from vacation n June.....hubs took me to France for ten days I had a normal checkup appt. and the scale said 181 lbs and I'm 5'3"! It was probably more before France, because I ate better and less there and was walking miles almost daily (and I felt like I was hungry a lot).

Anyway, I went cold turkey on the aspartame and everything else fell into place. I eat mostly whole, homegrown or local foods. The processed food I do eat is organic and/or non-GMO or made by me (breads/tortillas/etc.) I eat absolutely no diet food...no reduced fat, fat-free, anything unless it's that way naturally. cravings disappeared, the overeating is almost non-existent, my energy level is up. I drink lots of water and drink 2-6 light beers a week. I never go hungry though...I just make better choices.

I'm down from 181 to 165.4 lbs as of yesterday....Saturday's tend to be my lowest weight days I thought no because I sleep in I have a very small frame...my first set of wedding rings were size 4.25 and my wedding dress was an old-school size 3, not today's vanity size 3. I would like to Geoffdown to 130 by spring break 2015. Then I'll reevaluate and set new goals.

To those that want to throw in the towel because you don't think things are progressing....stick it out! I have been stuck so much for a week or two at a time of his summer, but I kept on trying to lose and my body gave it up (excess weight ) eventually. And don't skip meals or cut your calories too much...slow and steady wins the race.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 10-18-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Typos
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #6  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I am 56 and have gained and lost so many times I have lost count. I am at my highest all time weight, and I feel like crap. I have always been an emotional eater. I lost my husband almost three years ago, and have been comfort eating ever since. I need to get back on track with healthier eating, more activity, and healthier ways to cope with emotions. I am too young to feel this crappy.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #7  

Hi Judy Lynn....I felt so crappy a few years backed well...too much diet food and aspartame, unnecessary meds, overindulgence, etc. I slowly started eating better, but still too much food and diet soda. When I went cold turkey on the diet soda and most processed foods, I finally started to feel a change. It took a month or too, but now I have do much energy and don't take cholesterol meds any more.

You can do it one step at a time. It gets easier to stay "on plan" once you start feeling better. I was resolved at one point to just be overweight forever, but all that changed. I can never imagine going back to my old ways now. What really helped my was thus forum....it keeps me accountable. I've joined a few "check in" threads to keep me honest.

Good luck and hope to see you around.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi Darkblue: here's the 3FC spot to start with reading & questions: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...28-2015-a.html

and here's the official website: www.idealprotein.com

Liana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblue View Post
What is IP?
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192.2/192.2/135

Height: 5'5"

Wink New here!

New here! I've gained and lost over the years following several different diets. The only one I've ever been really successful with is Atkins. I'm back at it and could use as much encouragement and accountability as I can get!
OfficeGirl1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #10  

I am new here too. Post menopause condition is 35-40 lbs over weight. I'm cutting carbs i.e. a modified Atkins and can loose but it's SLOW. Not at all like before menopause. I'm still pretty healthy but if I don't drop this weight I know it will affect that. Ugh.

On another note I also grew out my gray hair the past few years. I like it but the overweight issue has to go!!

I'm 5'2 so 40 lbs feels and looks terrible. Ugh

Last edited by Lexus; 10-31-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Lynn View Post
I am 56 and have gained and lost so many times I have lost count. I am at my highest all time weight, and I feel like crap. I have always been an emotional eater. I lost my husband almost three years ago, and have been comfort eating ever since. I need to get back on track with healthier eating, more activity, and healthier ways to cope with emotions. I am too young to feel this crappy.

So sorry for your loss. My husband has congenital heart issues and his health a constant stress for us both. I understand your emotional eating issue.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi Ladies, I'm new here too, but not new to 3FC.

Thanks for this thread and I hope to get to know you all better.

I'm 58 and have been carrying around an extra 25 pounds for as long as I can remember. I've been divorced for over a decade and had been seeing someone for 7 years, but alas I'm winding that relationship down as he has some health and personal issues that I don't want to deal with for the rest of my life.

I think the definition of scary is joining Match.com at my age...Arrggg! All the men around my age want young chicks, as unrealistic as that may be (like they want an old man??). The few sane guys who know someone closer to their age would be a better fit are still very visual and want someone who looks "hot", meaning a very good body.

I'm not trying to lose weight for the guys but for my own health and well-being, but it's still frustrating in this new journey. Anyone else go through something similar?

Andi
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #13  

WebWoman I accidentally met my second husband playing online games ten years ago. He's English and 11 years older than myself! However, he wasn't "into" women that young and didn't even want to meet because of his age. His plan was to keep it a nice friendship. However, I insisted and took a vacation to London and did meet him in a neutral setting. We married a year after the first face-to-face and celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary this past June. Long story short....Older European men are less worried about "looks" and more interested in your personality. And it's not just my hubs....I know plenty of men just like him.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

PQ, congrats on meeting your husband! I have never considered dating someone over the pond as I've heard so many warnings about scams, green cards, and the like. Would really like to meet someone within 45 min of where I live! It's a big enough market here that it's possible. I've only been on a few weeks and I need to be patient.

Andi
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/164.9/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm just into my third week of dieting and finding at 53 it is a lot harder to lose weight. I've lost 5.1 pounds and I know I shouldn't complain, but this is tough!

I really want to be in the 150's by early December. Just looking for some support to get me there!
JC62 is offline   Reply With Quote