Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #1  
I hate gravity

Default anyone on a "lowish" carb diet

Yes, I know. For most people, the lower, the better. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is losing weight on a more moderate low carb plan, like maybe 60, 80, even 100 grams of carbohydrate a day. Is it working for you long term? Easier to stick to? Please share your experiences. I would like to know if low carb is effective for some people even if not at the Atkins level of strictness.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have done very low carb diets, but I didn't like it because I wasn't getting nearly enough vegetables. And I think veggies are very important. So I opted for a higher range of carbs. I keep it under 100 gm/day. I feel better overall.

I do lose weight faster the lower I keep my carbs. I don't seem to lose any weight at all, no matter the caloric intake, if my carbs are up to what is "recommended". I have a hard time losing more than 20 lbs per year, no matter how low I go with the carbs.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #3  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

My "magic number" at the moment is about 70 grams of carbs a day. I get my carbs almost exclusively from fruits and veggies; I rarely eat grains. I'm losing weight, I feel great, and I feel like the way I'm eating is totally normal and something I can do for life.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I've been doing low carb for about a month and my goal is 50> right now, but I want to get lower than that (since I am doing Ketogenic). For whatever reason, I tend to more easily stay within 60>. That extra 10 carbs seems to make the whole process much easier, so I am sort of trying to gradually lessen my carbs. At 60> I lost 4 lbs my first week, and have been staying near that weight (have kind of gone back and forth from that point, losing and regaining a pound or two) since that 4 lbs came off.

I expect that once I get below 50 (and hopefully below 40 soon) I will lose a bit more.

I weigh about 126 right now (at 5'4) so weight tends to come off very, very slowly.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #5  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Yes, I know. For most people, the lower, the better. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is losing weight on a more moderate low carb plan, like maybe 60, 80, even 100 grams of carbohydrate a day. Is it working for you long term? Easier to stick to? Please share your experiences. I would like to know if low carb is effective for some people even if not at the Atkins level of strictness.
Isn't anything under 100 considered low carb? When you say "Atkins level of strictness", remember that there are different phases of Atkins. The induction phase limits you to 20 carbs. After that, carbs are slowly added in to your diet. I believe that after a few months you might be up to - or over - 60 carbs a day.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/140

Height: 5'1"

Way back when, the first time I did Atkins, by the book, my number for ongoing weight loss was 100 grams of carbs. I generally still try to aim under that, but I do not sweat the carbs in a few tomatos or shredded carrots in a salad, or the few grams of carbs in certain salad dressings, for instance. Probably most days I am significantly under 100 grams, but I don't sweat it. Slow and steady wins this race, to me.

Now that I am older, it might be worthwhile to meticulously do Atkins again to find if my ongoing weight loss number has changed, and I do reccomend finding your OWL carb number.

I guess as long as below 100 is working for me, I'm gonna stick with it though.
nonamortica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/170/144

Height: 5'10"

I do low-ish carb. For me, I think it works because I always feel full, even eating an average of 1350 calories a day and doing moderate exercise. I've lost 15lbs in the last month and a half and gained a fair amount of muscle, so it seems to be working pretty well.

I aim for 50g of net carbs or up to 70g total carb a day.
rocksplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #8  

I started my first week at 50-60g carbs per day. YES .. it sucked lol

I am working out really really hard, everyday at least 40 minutes per day now, fast past interval type work out and so I'm allowing myself 75-100g carbs but most of the carbs come right before my work out so I can burn it off.

The carbs I've added are fruits / greek yogurt / and whole wheat bread so still nothing junky!!
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

It's easier for me, with a carbhound husband, to keep my carbs lowish (less than 100 total grams, this is not net, obviously). I only really eat carbs with dinner, and those are whole wheat or from veggies. He can't tell the difference. I just keep away from his apple fritters, poptarts, and Klondike bars.
Laurlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I do what I call "low starch". I get most of my carbs from veggies, fruit and dairy (yogurt, almond milk) but I rarely eat grains or potatoes. It's working for me.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #11  
diamondgeog

I am definitely as one person stated above at minimum going low starch.

I always thought Atkins was bizzare. It just seemed so weird. And I probably will never do it. But I am now more than convinced that too many carbs had been my biggest problem and probably are the single one biggest dietary problem in American and the world. Espeically refined cabs.

I started watching the Perfect Human Diet and researching great articles on carbs and the history of obesity in America. I never got my Ph.D., started but not finished, but you do not have to be a scientist to see the correlation between more carbs and what happened to America.

Any my own experience. I use to have fast food. Almost always with fries and the bun of course. So some meat but A LOT of carbs. I could never understand how soon I was hungry after such a big meal (calorie) wise.

So speaking of wise I am trying to be very aware of my carbs. I am not counting now. But I am very aware of dressings and sauces now and never get a salad with dressing put on. I have sandwhichs at home with no or one piece of bread. I am starting to take to work meat but no bread, breadless sandwhich.

Down 20lbs since may 1st. Exercising more. I think the most frightening thing about carbs are the kind of evil circle they put you on. They are awful for you number one. But when you eat them you don't get full so you eat more number 2. And number 3 they do that whole insulin storing as fat thing and are really bad at providing ceullar energy so your tired as well.

Any doctor not zeroing in on carbs and what they have done to America is a paid lobbyist, period. The evidence is just too overwhelming.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #12  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

As many above have stated, I don't worry about carbs as a whole, I just stay away from refined carbs/starches. So, I don't eat any white bread, rice, etc. I also don't eat any grains or potatoes. My carbs are basically from fruits and veggies. I don't worry too much about how many carbs I eat (just the source of the carbs), although I rarely go too far over 100 and I'm often below that. I'm losing about 1.5 lbs per week and have done that for about 4 months.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
As many above have stated, I don't worry about carbs as a whole, I just stay away from refined carbs/starches. So, I don't eat any white bread, rice, etc. I also don't eat any grains or potatoes. My carbs are basically from fruits and veggies. I don't worry too much about how many carbs I eat (just the source of the carbs), although I rarely go too far over 100 and I'm often below that. I'm losing about 1.5 lbs per week and have done that for about 4 months.
Same here. I just avoid bread, rice, potatoes, grains and keep my calorie counts. It makes it very easy stick to a lower calorie target.

Last edited by Munchy; 07-31-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Yes. I am for roughly 100g carb a day and it seems to be working for me. I try to get the majority of those immediately before and after my workout, and then eat low carb the rest of the day. This gives me the energy and recovery that I need from my workout (Crossfit) and also allows me to follow a LC eating plan. I am currently only getting carbs from fruit & veggies (but not starchy veggies). Everything else is protein and healthy fats.

I have done VLC (under 30g) in the past and lost mad weight. However, even though my losses are slower, this is more sustainable and suits my life better.

Every body is different, but this is working for me.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #15  

Yes, I consider any good day to be one where my carbs fall within the 50g-100g range. To be honest, my weight loss hasn't differed that much from when I was limiting myself to 20g a day, although I have only been eating at the increased range for about a month.

At the moment, I have lost about 20 pounds of the 80 that I want to lose, and am feeling good about sticking with this model long-term, which was my goal this time around. I've always been good at losing weight in short bursts, but I said I was going to do it different this time around, and find a way of eating I can live with forever rather than race to the bottom, as in the past that has only led to me falling right back into bad habits after I reached my goal. I DO track calories, however, so even on higher carb days, I don't tend to go much over 1400-1500.

When I feel like I'm slipping--which is usually when I start craving something high in carbs--I will have a few "low-carb" days where I try to hit 20g or lower to retrain. My body never seems to react negatively to changes in carb levels, so it hasn't ever been a hard readjustment, at least not yet.
Bookishy is offline   Reply With Quote